The College Board Employee Reviews

Changing of the business model drove down corporate culture
Manager of Network and VOIP Engineer (Former Employee) –  Reston, VA 20190February 23, 2018
Work/life balance was adequate until they changed their business model to support state business.

Their only competition, the ACT, passed them up in quality and advanced technology. It drove the company to broker a new way of doing business connecting to school districts in which to provide their services. Rather than taking time to assess risk and change impact , C-level staff chose to drive forward at full speed not taking into the account the technical implications that resulted.

IT turnover has since shot up and the intellectual property of managing a complicated service delivery model has increased service risk exponentially.

The Collegeboard has a great mission, however, if you like extreme challenges technical challenges and navigating complicated politics, this place is for you.
Often great
Manager (Current Employee) –  CAFebruary 9, 2018
Mission, Benefits, College savings plan for children
Travel, hours, subpar technology negatively affects staff and clients, who are the people trying to run schools.
Pros
Mission, Benefits, College savings plan for children
Cons
Travel, hours, subpar technology negatively affects staff and clients
College Board
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 23, 2018
The College Board hires contractors from across the nation to assist in evaluating PSAT and SAT exams. Seveal times a year, they send materials electronically for contractors to review. While most of the reviews take place online, on at least two occassions contractors are invited to meet with College Board staff in person to discuss exam reviews. Since I'm an independent contractor, I don't receive any benefits.
Great benefits and pay, not a positive place.
Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2018
Great benefits, great pay.
The culture is not for everyone though. It's not a place where people have each others' backs.
Each department will be different of course.
Pros
great pay
Cons
no work/life balance
One of the BEST
SpringBoard Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2018
I honestly have NOTHING bad to say about this company.
The mission of everyone is VITALLY important to the development of our youth and nation, and they take their work seriously.

Everyone is organized, helpful, friendly, with extensive processes that include every functioning part of each department.

One of the best places I have ever worked.
Always doing some things
Quality Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hato Rey, PRNovember 13, 2017
A typical day at work is verifying some jobs to do, being helpful with others peers. Each work that was done was a challenge for the time in which it should be done. If we did not know something of what was being reviewed, we would consult with a colleague to learn and be able to get the job done in the required time. To be sharing with a colleague in the day to day and get a smile for anything even work tasks was a pleasure and enjoyed that moment.
Culture was very cliquey
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 1, 2017
If you were in the "in" crowd, it was great. There was high employee turnover, a lot of gossip and the managers were very inexperienced.. and did not support their employees . .
Pros
Free Education
Cons
culture
Associate Director - Quality Compliance (Current Employee) –  Newtown, PAAugust 28, 2017
The hardest part of this job is navigating the change between old habits and new ones with the team in place. They see change as a deterrent from completing work, instead of a process improvement.
Great company, poor management
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Newtown, PAAugust 24, 2017
There are many inspiring leaders in the comapny, my manager was not one of them unfortunately, although my mentor was. Excellent opportunity to learn and adavance if you were in the right group of management, otherwise many reorganizations and layoffs made for an unstable environment.
n/a
National Product Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2017
n/a
I have nothing to say about this comapny
Glad I worked there and got paid good money for the work I did
I loved to travel and I did a lot of that in this job
Lots of fun employee interaction
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJuly 10, 2017
The College Board is a great company if you are looking for good work/life balance. The pay is a little under average but the potential for growth is there if you are lucky enough to work for the right manager. The workload is extremely heavy and expectations are high. However, you play as much as you work ( when your work load allows)
Pros
Lots of employee events
Cons
Management ( some people not qualified to be in management)
Work Enviornment at The College Board
Ops & Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJune 28, 2017
The College Board only hires the best employees - each employee you're surrounded with has ample experience in their field and is also a good teacher of his/her position. Through my internship at The College Board, I learned how a good work environment can lead to success.
Pros
Lunches, events, socials
No comment.
Requirements Analyst (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJune 6, 2017
Rate this company*required
Overall rating*

No comment at all.
An ok place to work
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAMarch 27, 2017
People are great. The current senior management group needs work. I would say apply with caution and understand that mobility is not likely. Great benefits.
Progressive agenda with super benefits.
Executive Director/Administrator (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAMarch 27, 2017
Great place to work and contribute to the education landscape. Mission-driven and dedicated to social agenda and helping students navigate the path to and through college.
A company with good benefits.
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAMarch 24, 2017
Through internal and external training programs, I obtained technical skills such as SQL, ACCESS, SharePoint...It is a fun place to work with potluck parties, Halloween activities, various holiday and tradition celebrations.
Serious culture
Hospitality Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2017
Very serious culture. Work well with the people of the board.

Was once a fun atmosphere, but no more. Managementis a buddy up system. Those who deserve promotions hardly get it.
Pros
Decent health care
Cons
culture needs improvement
Great place
Data Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 21, 2017
I am working at College Board new york. Nice place and nice people here. Learning a lot. it's a short term project, but a really nice one.
Good pay, nice people, beautiful office, awesome benefits
Access to Opportunity, Intern (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 18, 2017
First off, I was an intern and worked full-time in their NY office and was obviously not eligible for any of their benefits. I did however inquire about them, and they offer great health, dental and vacation benefits. Management is nice. They look to promote from and hire from within, so the ability to advance within the company is pretty high.
Data Company
Sr. Information Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJanuary 12, 2017
Great learning experience and business is very responsive and cooperative. Hardest part is is to keep up with ever changing business requirements and get confirmation.
Pros
Great learning and flexible hours