The College Board Employee Reviews

An ok place to work
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAMarch 27, 2017
People are great. The current senior management group needs work. I would say apply with caution and understand that mobility is not likely. Great benefits.
Progressive agenda with super benefits.
Executive Director/Administrator (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAMarch 27, 2017
Great place to work and contribute to the education landscape. Mission-driven and dedicated to social agenda and helping students navigate the path to and through college.
A company with good benefits.
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAMarch 24, 2017
Through internal and external training programs, I obtained technical skills such as SQL, ACCESS, SharePoint...It is a fun place to work with potluck parties, Halloween activities, various holiday and tradition celebrations.
Serious culture
Hospitality Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2017
Very serious culture. Work well with the people of the board.

Was once a fun atmosphere, but no more. Managementis a buddy up system. Those who deserve promotions hardly get it.
Pros
Decent health care
Cons
culture needs improvement
Great place
Data Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 21, 2017
I am working at College Board new york. Nice place and nice people here. Learning a lot. it's a short term project, but a really nice one.
Good pay, nice people, beautiful office, awesome benefits
Access to Opportunity, Intern (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 18, 2017
First off, I was an intern and worked full-time in their NY office and was obviously not eligible for any of their benefits. I did however inquire about them, and they offer great health, dental and vacation benefits. Management is nice. They look to promote from and hire from within, so the ability to advance within the company is pretty high.
Data Company
Sr. Information Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJanuary 12, 2017
Great learning experience and business is very responsive and cooperative. Hardest part is is to keep up with ever changing business requirements and get confirmation.
Pros
Great learning and flexible hours
Great place to be at.
Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2017
I enjoyed my time at the College Board. The culture was great and the work was fulfilling as I felt I was making a difference. Benefits are generous and work-life balance is wonderful.
Pros
Work-life balance, benefits, job security
Cons
Job advancement (limited to "who-you-know")
Great Overall
Associate Supervisor (Current Employee) –  roswell, GAOctober 19, 2015
Proctoring the SAT Test for high school students.
The job is very enjoyable, But it is not a consistent year long job. The test is only given a few times per year.
Membership Assistant (Former Employee) –  New YorkJuly 27, 2015
Go thru emails every morning, check on job orders placed previously, handled members phone calls, assisted co-workers with conference/meeting preparation. Company provided classes on microsoft, etc.. (professional development). Conferences were fun, especially in another city, but hard if a speaker was late/no-show, sometimes a session had to be cancelled at the last minute.
Pros
Gave out free material/information to students/parents at 10 - 15 college fairs.
Customer Service Support Department (Current Employee) –  Reston, VADecember 31, 2014
I've learned to face my fears and not to allow fear get in the way of success.
Cons
I was almost/always ill, this postion was an internship.
Great benefits if you are over 5 years, hard to get ahead
Consultant Search Engine Marketing (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 26, 2014
This is a nice stable environment if you are at the point of your career where you want to take it easy and predictable. If you are young and hungry and trying to get ahead and get significant experience this is not the place for you. I would avoid non profits until I am further ahead in my career.
Pros
Benefits, snacks, college tuition
Cons
Management, little incentive to excel
great place
Sr. Online Marketing Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  new yorkSeptember 27, 2014
grey cubicle kind of office

great initiatives, slow moving
Good workplace, fun activities, dual monitors. nice people
Consultant, Contract Expired (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAMay 10, 2014
I worked directly with my director in department. I worked with students who had disabilities who were seeking accommodation on college entrance exams and work with their school counselor or special education department or parents in this process as every case was different. My manager traveled a lot so he kept me in charge and I was responsible for our two vendors, ETS and Xerox, and traveled at times to train them on our systems and go over new policies and procedures and making sure they were up to bare and answer any inquires they may have. If I didn't travel, then I would train via WebEx and prepare training manuals and every two weeks or so, my manager and I work hold a conference call to keep an update on their department. After 2.5 years, my contact expired and unfortunately, I lost my job and have been unemployed since then with the exception of administrative assistant and receptionist work through various temp agency as well an Nanning for several years as I love kids, education and working in customer service as I am a people person, but with a shy personality.
Pros
Ability to work from home, good compensation, flexible hours
Cons
No health care, my manager didn't care for my work ideas, rude at times.
Productive and innovative workplace with many talented and creative colleagues
Senior Director, Office of Academic Initiatives (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2014
The College Board is an organization that cares deeply about the educational experience of students. This organization is concerned with improving academic rigor around the country and tries to be innovative in its approach to developing educational tools. A typical day consists of multiple meetings with executive level colleagues; we engage in planning different stages of a new program or product. I've learned a lot about the importance of communication and planning, structuring processes so that others can follow work plans effectively, and the importance and power of being proactive and taking initiatives. I've enjoyed meeting academics from different disciplines and working closely with them to develop academic tools and programs. I've also enjoyed meeting heads of educational organizations with whom we work collaboratively on developing various educational services. I'm proud of having put together a team of very talented and creative colleagues and working alongside them to develop new programs in the arts and in the global learning fields.

The hardest part of the job is to develop new programs quickly and effectively, especially new programs have multiple internal and external dependencies. The most enjoyable part of the job is to work with talented and creative colleagues who care about the students and the teachers we serve. I also enjoy being innovative in my work and constantly learning new information and new skills.
Pros
Influencing academic rigor on a national scale
Cons
Little work-life balance
It really depends on your department
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  New YorkFebruary 26, 2014
Since starting at the College Board I have noticed that happiness is based on your manager. Some managers are very flexible, "family friendly" and open minded while others are very by-the-book and firm. These inconsistencies make some departments favored by employees and set a negative tone in others.
Pros
Excellent benefits - 13% towards retirement, 4 weeks vacation, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Inconsistency between departments, not family friendly, antiquated work practices such as no telecommuting or flex scheduling
Successful organization with internal structural barriers
Assistant Director, Organizational Effectiveness (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2014
Limited development due to functional siloes in HR department
My first job after graduating
Accounts Receivable Coordinator (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJanuary 28, 2014
It was a short and great experience. I graduated in May and found this job in August. As College Board had lag in Account receivable department. I was part of collection team and helped them in reducing Account Receivable (A/R).
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Temporary job
Driven for Mission
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  NY, NYDecember 18, 2013
A great place to work. Driven to the mission of equity and access.
Great compensation and benefits with even a perk of payment for your kid's college. Professional and dedicated to their people.
The College Board is a great place to work
Special Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 1, 2013
I really enjoyed the people I worked with and they were very fair with me.
Pros
A great group of people
Cons
Changes in management that caused layoffs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The College Board. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3