The College Board Employee Reviews

Membership Assistant (Former Employee), New YorkJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Gave out free material/information to students/parents at 10 - 15 college fairs.
Go thru emails every morning, check on job orders placed previously, handled members phone calls, assisted co-workers with conference/meeting preparation. Company provided classes on microsoft, etc.. (professional development). Conferences were fun, especially in another city, but hard if a speaker was late/no-show, sometimes a session had to be cancelled at the last minute.
Customer Service Support Department (Current Employee), Reston, VADecember 31, 2014
Cons: i was almost/always ill, this postion was an internship.
I've learned to face my fears and not to allow fear get in the way of success.
Great benefits if you are over 5 years, hard to get ahead
Consultant Search Engine Marketing (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 26, 2014
Pros: benefits, snacks, college tuition
Cons: management, little incentive to excel
This is a nice stable environment if you are at the point of your career where you want to take it easy and predictable. If you are young and hungry and trying to get ahead and get significant experience this is not the place for you. I would avoid non profits until I am further ahead in my career.
great place
Sr. Online Marketing Manager (Contract) (Former Employee), new yorkSeptember 27, 2014
grey cubicle kind of office

great initiatives, slow moving
Good workplace, fun activities, dual monitors. nice people
Consultant, Contract Expired (Former Employee), Reston, VAMay 10, 2014
Pros: ability to work from home, good compensation, flexible hours
Cons: no health care, my manager didn't care for my work ideas, rude at times.
I worked directly with my director in department. I worked with students who had disabilities who were seeking accommodation on college entrance exams and work with their school counselor or special education department or parents in this process as every case was different. My manager traveled a lot so he kept me in charge and I was responsible for our two vendors, ETS and Xerox, and traveled at times to train them on our systems and go over new policies and procedures and making sure they were up to bare and answer any inquires they may have. If I didn't travel, then I would train via WebEx and prepare training manuals and every two weeks or so, my manager and I work hold a conference call to keep an update on their department. After 2.5 years, my contact expired and unfortunately, I lost my job and have been unemployed since then with the exception of administrative assistant and receptionist work through various temp agency as well an Nanning for several years as I love kids, education and working in customer service as I am a people person, but with a shy personality.
Productive and innovative workplace with many talented and creative colleagues
Senior Director, Office of Academic Initiatives (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 13, 2014
Pros: influencing academic rigor on a national scale
Cons: little work-life balance
The College Board is an organization that cares deeply about the educational experience of students. This organization is concerned with improving academic rigor around the country and tries to be innovative in its approach to developing educational tools. A typical day consists of multiple meetings with executive level colleagues; we engage in planning different stages of a new program or product. I've learned a lot about the importance of communication and planning, structuring processes so that others can follow work plans effectively, and the importance and power of being proactive and taking initiatives. I've enjoyed meeting academics from different disciplines and working closely with them to develop academic tools and programs. I've also enjoyed meeting heads of educational organizations with whom we work collaboratively on developing various educational services. I'm proud of having put together a team of very talented and creative colleagues and working alongside them to develop new programs in the arts and in the global learning fields.

The hardest part of the job is to develop new programs quickly and effectively, especially new programs have multiple internal and external dependencies. The most enjoyable part of the job is to work with talented and creative colleagues who care about the students and the teachers we serve. I also enjoy being innovative in my work and constantly learning new information and new skills.
It really depends on your department
Associate Director (Current Employee), New YorkFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits - 13% towards retirement, 4 weeks vacation, tuition reimbursement
Cons: inconsistency between departments, not family friendly, antiquated work practices such as no telecommuting or flex scheduling
Since starting at the College Board I have noticed that happiness is based on your manager. Some managers are very flexible, "family friendly" and open minded while others are very by-the-book and firm. These inconsistencies make some departments favored by employees and set a negative tone in others.
Successful organization with internal structural barriers
Assistant Director, Organizational Effectiveness (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 11, 2014
Limited development due to functional siloes in HR department
My first job after graduating
Accounts Receivable Coordinator (Contractor) (Former Employee), Reston, VAJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: close to home
Cons: temporary job
It was a short and great experience. I graduated in May and found this job in August. As College Board had lag in Account receivable department. I was part of collection team and helped them in reducing Account Receivable (A/R).
Driven for Mission
Executive Director (Former Employee), NY, NYDecember 18, 2013
A great place to work. Driven to the mission of equity and access.
Great compensation and benefits with even a perk of payment for your kid's college. Professional and dedicated to their people.
The College Board is a great place to work
Special Project Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 1, 2013
Pros: a great group of people
Cons: changes in management that caused layoffs
I really enjoyed the people I worked with and they were very fair with me.
Great Place to gain experience
Senior Director, Operations & Implementation (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 27, 2013
CB is a great place to gain work experience. While although a non-profit, they pay well and offer excellent professional development opportunities.
Mission-driven non-profit organization
Meeting Associate (Former Employee), Austin, TXJune 26, 2013
The best part of the job were the occasional perks and my co-workers.
High ideals and noble mission not always aligned with operations efficiencies
Associate Director (Former Employee), Reston, VAJune 2, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: disconnect between policies and operations often created inefficiencies
Manged team responsible for processing transactions for College Board products and services as well as registrations for professional development workshops.
Learned how to navigate fine line between organization as a non-profit mission-driven institution and as a business.
Management was professional, receptive to employee ideas and accommodating to reasonable employee needs and requests.
Co-workers were very committed to organizations goal to connect students to college success.
Hardest part of job: Aligning program policies with operational efficiencies.
Most enjoyable part of job: Collaborating with co-workers/colleagues.
Great Mission
Director, College Readiness Equity and Access (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 22, 2013
Passionate intelligent people are abundant within the walls of the College Board.
Working very hard behind the scenes to connect students to college success
Coordinator, International Services (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 13, 2013
Learned an enormous amount of information regarding educational systems outside the US. The work of the College Board expands to students who live outside the US but dream of studying at a US institution. The College Board does thankless work to make that happen.
Positive
Technical Analyst (Current Employee), Reston, VaMay 11, 2013
Good benefits and good people but the adaption of the 'Common Core' will deteriorate the future value of the company
Great company with a great mission - Equity and Excellence in Education
Director, Business Solutions (Current Employee), Reston, VAApril 25, 2013
Pros: benefits and people
Cons: clarity of roles, hierarchy, political
College Board is a wonderful company with a great mission.

The new leadership team is great. I expect a lot of good things to happen at The College Board in the next few years.
Great benefits
Business Analyst II (Former Employee), Reston, VAMarch 25, 2013
As long as you do your job well it is a great place to work. The benefits are unbelievable and a lot of great coworkers!
Fun and friendly environment
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 3, 2013
Pros: free lunch. a lot of work on a daily basis
Cons: it was only a short temporary position.
Typical day will start off with fresh coffee ready upon arrival. Occasionally fresh bagels or other breakfast food available. Fun but also quiet place where completing work was easy due to no interruptions. Co-workers greet you everyday with huge smile on their faces. The hardest part was starting because I did not have experience prior to obtaining the position. The most enjoyable part would be the fact that work never stopped. In my eyes, the more work there is to complete, the faster the day will go.