The College of New Rochelle

The College of New Rochelle Employer Reviews

Was a great place to work in years gone by.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT TO CAMPUS DIRECTOR (Former Employee), New Rochelle, NYJuly 24, 2014
The overall morale has declined a great deal due to poor financial management and changes that turned out to be detrimental rather than improvements. The overall quality of the workplace has declined, as has the quality of education provided to the students.
Fast-paced, high-energy, productive workplace.
ASSISTANT BURSAR (Current Employee), New Rochelle, NYJuly 22, 2014
Pros: freindly co-workers, flexible schedules (at times)
Cons: compensation, communication.
Working here taught me to learn as much as I can, in order to be as helpful as I can. Knowing how to get from point A-D is important when trying to keep a student-centered office.

The change of computer systems was also a challenge. Being it's a "home-grown" system, there were many glitches to be worked out.(still working some of those glitches out)

Communication – more... is KEY in any organization. Having open channels, where the information is getting to the point-person is essential. – less
Fun work place
Receptionist (Former Employee), New Rochelle, NYJune 5, 2014
Pros: independant, easy going, simple job
Cons: no real breaks, minimum wage
Answering phones and signing guests into the residence halls of the college. I learned a lot about having patience with certain people and keeping my work space organized. There is not a lot of interaction with co-workers or management unless there are questions to be asked or answered. The most difficult part of the job would be keeping track of who – more... is in the building on busy weekends and explaining to a guest that they are not allowed into the building when they fail to present identification. Being that I attended the college I knew most of the people in the buildings, there were times it did not feel like work at all. – less
Expanding provides oportunity for growth.
Exam Proctor (Current Employee), Bronx, NYMarch 26, 2014
Pros: great benifits
The College of New Rochelle is the place to go if one desires to obtain an post secondary education. The professors work in their field of expertise which provides the students with the latest and most up to date information for the work force. This is a comfortable and friendly atmosphere to work in.
The art student's dream work-study job.
Art Department Secretary (Former Employee), New Rochelle, NYFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, art-based, total autonomy
Cons: politics, tiny offices
This experience was an Art Department work study job at the first college I attended. I never had an issue with any of the tasks or demands presented to me. In nature, the job was very laid back but rewarding for the soul.

On a typical day, I would fetch mail for the Art Department faculty, creating signs for visiting artist lectures or student exhibits, – more... organizing art work for display in the hallways, assisting with installation of art work in 3D spaces, assembling or installing shelves, or sorting slides the professors used for their classes.

I would often be in the office alone with my music. If all professors were holding class, I would be their ambassador for visitors, students, and other faculty looking to book appointments with whomever.

The hardest part of the job was being in the middle of professor-politics. Some tasks would often be argued as more important than another professor's tasks. I was always able to modify my list of priorities, so it was a quickly resolved issue.

Due to the many tasks that involved leaving the office, I loved the amount of fresh air I encountered. My favorite part of the job, though, was sorting slides in the slide library. This was always beneficial because I often handled slides from my own classes and therefore found extra and unintentional study time. – less
Upbeat environment, supportive staff
Receptionist (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 31, 2013
A day working at this facility was typically spent doing office tasks such as; filing, copying, faxing, and other office duties that may arise. I learned to be patient and efficient when working with all customers. Management and co-workers were very supportive in all aspects. I have built lifetime professional relationships at this company. The hardest – more... part of the job was leaving when my position ended. The most enjoyable part of the job was at the end of the day knowing that I had helped several people including customers and staff to complete a duty or task. Very satisfying job. – less
Work Study Program!
Financial Aid Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 22, 2013
I was responsible for assisting students with their financial aid applications.

I had a very kind and patient employer.
Never a dull moment
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee), Bronx, NYFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: the students
Cons: the $
I loved teaching the adults that I taught. They were hard-working and interesting. Yet, they knew very little about writing. It was exciting to see how much they needed to progress and to make them do it.
productive and learning environment
Receptionist (Current Employee), Bronx, NYJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: work study student
Cons: n/a
works in an office and takes care of administrative duties such as answering the phone, running errands for a supervisor and other similar activities. Helps to keep the everyday activities organized. H must also make sure that all appointments are kept and meetings are scheduled appropriately. It is up to the receptionist to make sure that everything – more... in the office is running smoothly. – less
Flexible schedule, administration, safety
Math Instructor (Current Employee), New Rochelle, NYJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: upgrade the library and break room, replace the chalk being used now.
Cons: allow direct deposit payment, hire full time math professors
The work schedule is fexible and class period allows students to concentrate better in class. The staff members are very friendly,and the administration keep us informed about the academic calender as well on the campus policy.
The mathematics department chair person is always available. He still giving me recommendations to serve the best my students – more... and he is encouraging me in my teaching style.
The most difficult part in this campus is that some students are usually absent for two to three consecutive days. You are forced to review all the time.I spended a lot of time in class or after to go over these type of students the lecture they have missed.
If there is a tutor who can help these students before the next class it would be a good thing.
The class size is allowed me to check on all students work and giv e them feedback as soon possible. – less
Okay Job
Receptionist (Former Employee), New Rochelle, NYJanuary 5, 2013
Cons: not enough hours, no room for advancement
A typical day consisted of signing in, and sitting at the desk waiting for the phone to ring or for guest to arrive.
LEADERSHIP PROFILE
Adjunct Professor History and Humanities (Current Employee), New Rochelle, NYNovember 5, 2012
The College of New Rochelle enrolls nearly 4,500 students on six campuses across the Greater New York City area. Our academic programs offered in four schools -- the School of Arts & Sciences (for women), School of New Resources (for adults), School of Nursing, and Graduate School -- are distinguished not only by the strength of our curriculum, but – more... the caliber of faculty who choose to teach at CNR. Our faculty are widely recognized as professionals in their field of study.

Learning at CNR stems beyond an academic degree to the person as a whole. Founded in 1904 as the first Catholic college for women in New York State, we remain true to our Ursuline tradition and heritage to educate the whole person and to prepare them for lives as leaders and contributors in our global society. – less
interesting job
Receptionist (Former Employee), New Rochelle, NYOctober 13, 2012
learned great communication skills. also learned receptionist skills
Interesting place to work
Proctor / tester (Former Employee), Bronx, NYOctober 13, 2012
Pros: laid back atmosphere.
Cons: unsteady income.
I had a chance to get to know what it is like to become a professor. It was interesting to see how day to day work was different at a small college. It was more like working with family members. It was a great learning experience for me. The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult personalities of co-workers. The most enjoyable part was seeing – more... people excited about beginning college. – less
good team work
Financial Aid Counselor (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 20, 2012
Pros: health care
Cons: n/a
students was nice, friendly co workers, pay was good. they also work around my classes
I learned a great deal about Adult education while at this college.
Adjunct Lecture (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 1, 2012
My teaching experience was a challenge because I worked at two different "off site" campuses. These were more like community colleges and I didn't realize the needs of the students and that many were not able to handle what I thought was college level work.

When I left to teach else where, the school was in the process of raising standards to satisfy – more... New York State regulations.

I am unable to give a current review. – less
Seeking a position utilizing my background to assist in the customer’s service field.
Safety/Security Officer (Current Employee), New Rochelle, NYMay 30, 2012
Assures protection of the overall campus by patrolling both on foot and vehicle, to check for unsafe situations, hazards, unlocked doors, security violations, blocked ingress and egress, mechanical problems, unauthorized visitors, or any untort issues that my breech the safety or security of the campus and student/faculty. Prepares logs, reports as – more... required by the documentation standards of the College of New Rochelle. Responds to safety incidents, such as but not limited to fire, bomb threats, exposure to hazardous materials, or any other issues that my compromise the safety on or around campus. – less