The College of William and Mary Employee Reviews

A foundational experience
Graduate Counselor of Multicultural Affairs (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMarch 23, 2012
A typical day consisted of me counseling students, developing achievement plans for the students.
I learned how to create structure for an individual.
The hardest part of the experience was learning how to keep a growing young adult focused.
The most enjoyable part was watching the students come together under an umbrella of community that you created for them.
Excellent Student Internship
Network Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJuly 27, 2014
The network engineering team at W&M works very hard to keep the network in top shape. A great opportunity to learn the finer points of networking, network programming, and general hardware installation/troubleshooting. Friendly environment with many employees dedicating much of their career to the college's IT.
The most rewarding place to work - great student synergy!
Assistant to the Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAFebruary 11, 2014
Interacting with students, alumni, friends and co-workers working towards a common goal of supporting the Swem Library, the main library on campus. The energy that comes from being on a college campus is invigorating. How that energy sustains itself through the college years and beyond with alumni support. Management encouraged, invited different ideas from staff and students. The staff members were always helpful and looking for ways to make the library, the College a better place to work. The hardest part of the job is not having enough time to spend with the students and the most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with the students. It was an experience of a lifetime.
Pros
being on a beautiful campus; 2nd oldest college in the country
Cons
having to go home everyday
Premier public liberal arts/research institution
Graduate Assistant for Programming (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJuly 17, 2013
Work hard/play hard-- a motto applicable not only to students, but faculty & staff. Colonial Williamsburg is an expensive playground, but W&M offers a variety of professional challenges, opportunities for growth, and a culture of dedication to students.
Plenty of room for advancement, fun yet professional environment, great leadership
Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJune 22, 2012
Mason School of Business is the best University that I've worked for. They are considerate of family issues and show compassion. They have competent staff who make it fun to go into work each day.
A lot of work but a lot of payoff
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMarch 12, 2015
Prepared teaching materials, provided clarification for students regarding assignments, led in-class discussions, gave lectures as necessary.
Excellent research and educational opportunity
Research Student (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMay 29, 2013
This program was designed to familiarize mathematics majors with computer programs that professors use in their research by working alongside this professors in projects related to their main goals. I had the opportunity to learn about Discrete Dynamical Systems, Chaos Theory and Topology and how all three can be combined in a computer program to get an idea of what is going on as a system evolves. The professor I worked with helped me get through my first presentation on a technical topic to an audience (that is, a presentation that was not for a class but was given as a first professional lecture). Working with a student who was a year ahead of me and had worked with the professor previously and alongside a first time researcher like myself provided me with a mentor that suggest new approaches to problems outside of the bi-weekly meetings we had with the supervising professor and with a great friend who I could talk with about the topics we were learning to make sure we both understood what was going on in our weekly meetings. The most enjoyable and educational part of the job was the course in Chaos Theory and Topology. As a math major, I had heard these words, but had not had the opportunity to take a class on either topic, but to have an intensive class on both with an emphasis on the links between the two subjects and a practical application of these links to a problem was absolutely amazing.

4.9