The Container Store Employee Reviews

I enjoy the company overall, and would definitely recommend friends to inquire about employment
Visual Merchandising Dept Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2016
My typical work day varies because I wear multiple hats, so I'd say my typical day starts with me assessing all the things happening that need attention or addressing, I then scale those items and prioritize whats most important or urgent and from that point I proceed.

TCS (is how employees refer to the company) is definitely a place to learn, what you learn will depend or what capacity you fill within the team.I've learned some valuable business principles and this job enabled me to see a good model of servant leadership.

The management varies from store to store and that variable carries major weight in regards to your ability to enjoy the job and your co workers, versus keeping your dealings very guarded and professional.
Pros
The Pay and Benefits are nice
Cons
There is a ceiling for growth
Initially a good reception, but then the politics comes in to play.
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXAugust 16, 2016
After the company went public, there was a steep decline in culture and overall caring of its employees. An initially "employee based" culture has shifted to a numbers production game. With the implement of the horribly designed automation, which is costing much more money and ironically significantly less production, and addition of outside management with a whip-and-chain reputation, I witnessed first hand at a disappearing recruitment line. This is the perspective of a warehouse employee that had office-sitting-management make decisions with no day-to-day knowledge of the new system on the floor. It may seem good on paper but the employees, through frustration and consequences, have to suffer until the weekly numbers are glanced over. Employee input is nill and the only reason to work there is full benefits and a nice check with no kids, rent, groceries, gas and basic costs of living. You'll be working check to check which luckily is weekly, but that's it because the automation is so flawed and people are quitting left and right which causes no advancement due to focus being on getting out of a warehouse after 12+ HOURS! Good LUCK!
Pros
Expensive cafeteria on-site, Coworkers
Employee 1st Culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 16, 2016
Caring and considerate culture, invests in employees through thoughtful transparent communication. I only hope they will sustain this culture.

This company went public approximately 3 years ago and since then payroll hours have significantly reduced, making it more difficult to engage with all team members. Managers are required to work in hourly functions more than occasionally, which takes away from the employee investment and development. It is struggle for this company to show consistent profitability as a result, recently the company announced a freeze on raises and 401 K matches. However, managers still have the potential for bonuses based on sales and payroll achievement. I am part of the management team and disagree with this, what should happen is an increase in payroll hours based on increased sales.
Pros
Training, employee 1st culture, and high talent teams
Cons
Benefits are average and managers are paid under market value
Just a job, not a career
Sales and Design (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 25, 2016
This is a decent place to work as far as conditions and life/work balance but the pay is not as good as they claim it is and benefits for part-timers are not that great but better than nothing - just barely.
Pros
Nice work atmosphere
Cons
Rather a cult mentality to how the company is run. They expect everyone to "sell, sell, sell" with no real reward for performance.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Sales Associate/Visual Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 1, 2016
I really enjoy working with a great team. I feel like most of us are part of a family. I like to help customers in the store and make sure I find the right solution.
Pros
pot lucks, free food (sometimes), 15 min breaks
Cons
benefits, hours
company as a whole is good
Head elfa designer (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILAugust 23, 2016
each store is different. Company has great ideas and cares about employees. The idea to go public has been a struggle as the employees are feeling a little put out. The people hired are wonderful. The managers need work to be more of a people person
Pros
employees, benefits, discounts
Cons
managers
productive, friendly
Order puller (Current Employee) –  Coppell, TXJune 7, 2016
fun place to work, training is good, i like to keep busy all the time, the only thing i don't like is the review part, having to write it every six months and you get raises by talking and being more involved in events rather than your performance in working
What a fun place to work.
Full-time Sales (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 1, 2016
I would like to see more develop for young managers, more internship programs. I felt I was truly compensated for my time. I worked 60 hour work weeks and can say I never felt overwhelmed.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No designated meal breaks.
Great People, Aewsome Atmosphere
Visual Sales/Elfa Designer (Current Employee) –  Hallandale, FLMay 14, 2016
Once I walk through the door my mood is automatically changed to happy, and relaxed. The environment is great to work in, and you really feel the team effort to help out. It's all genuine love you receive from the team!
Pros
Great benefits full-time and part-time
Cons
nothing really comes to mind
Great culture and family, not enough pay and too much waste.
Order Processor/Sales Associate/Designer (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYDecember 31, 2016
I have worked at The Container Store for nearly three years and, while the people, culture, and atmosphere are terrific, the pay is not as good as the company they are trying to present themselves as. The working conditions are not optimal either. Though they could be far worse, the amount of plastics, grease, dust, and overall wasteful products that employees regularly handle seems to increase each year. Its an interesting situation; I care so much about the people I work with, that I wish they worked somewhere else, maybe where they could be appreciated a little bit more and a little healthier.
loved it before TCS went public
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 11, 2016
working 15-20 hours is fine for me. i enjoy working on a team and working with the customers; love the products. management seems to always shift around, quitting or getting fired. a few manager's could learn the difference between assertiveness and abrasiveness and sincerity. appreciate the diversity of co-workers. hardest part of the job is being on your feet sometimes 5 hours at time. the most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers with organizational solutions.
Pros
quarterly meetings, scheduling, great products & discount
Cons
abrasive manager, POP star sign ups
Don't bother
associate (Former Employee) –  soutlake, txJuly 9, 2016
If you are a hard working person that thinks you can have a career with this company then just stay away.
Most of them, including management made few of us that started at the same time feel very unwelcomed. We were in shock. We went thru their training thinking this was going to be awesome only to be treated very poorly. Promotions are based on who knows who...
Not worth going thru the whole hiring process and get excited about it only to be very disappointed once you start working.
Pros
discount
Cons
schedule, nepotism, hostile environment
Upbeat and supportive work environment striving to help others
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 29, 2016
The Container Store has been a wonderful work experience. I've never worked with such friendly and genuine coworkers before, and I feel comfortable and confident to talk to management about issues I may have.
Pros
Long lunch break, wonderful staff, genuine managers
Company is a good company.
Sales Associate and Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 3, 2016
Enjoyed working with customer's. Associates worked together in harmony,
Quit, due to store management team. Overall, did not support sales associates and one manger spoke to associates in a condescending tone in front of customers.
Pros
Helped me in getting back into workforce
Cons
Store management
Employee first driven company.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 1, 2016
The Container Store is very employee first driven, The amount of training and product info available is incredible..
Most days include various "jobs" being done all of which revolve around our customers and solving their organizational needs.
The team work and constant communication makes it possible to ensure customers are being helped from the time they enter the store until they exit.
Great College Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 5, 2016
Working at the container store was a great choice for me. They provide a fun up-beat environment for you to work in and there are always opportunities to grow and learn. There are not many full time positions however so it is a hard company to move up in.
Pros
Fun, challenging, positive
Cons
upward mobility, weekends
Modern Day Slavery
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  6th Ave LocationApril 10, 2016
I haven't worked in retail since I was a teenager, but decided to work PT for TCS due to their great reputation. It was the worst experience EVER! I was fired w/o reason a couple weeks before my 1 year anniversary, received a exit form in the mail that stated I quit and they fought my unemployment.

They are known to pay well, but that's only if you are FT. 98% of their staff is PT at a $13/hr rate, while the FT staff get $50,000 a year to do the same job.
Pros
The staff. It was a pleasure working with great people.
Cons
Management. Micro Managed to do the easiest job. Unfair
They lost their way
Sales & Visual Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 10, 2017
The employee first culture has been lost. Managers are disconnected and do not make efforts to keep the good employees.

It seems that managers are there to micromanage the employees.
Great environment with great coworkers.
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJAugust 8, 2016
Great co-workers and managers, make sure you are fully trained in the roles they ask you to fulfill. Encourage asking for help if needed. Everyone is always willing to help out and the managers do their best to work with you in regards to your scheduling.

Unless you are working register, flexibility is a big part of the job as you may have to switch roles for what is needed in the store at the time.
Pros
Good environment. Great training as well
Cons
Can't always get a break if you aren't scheduled for one
Excited and active job
Sales and Merchandising Associate (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYMay 27, 2016
Assist with display changes under the direction of the Visual Merchandising Manager or Merchandising Team
Maintain and stock the sales floor, including sales counters and all store displays and uprights/shelves, understanding the priorities of stocking, signage and cleaning
Organizational and time management skills
Assist the Merchandising Manager/Operations Manager to complete essential inventory control functions in an effort to support financial and inventory accuracy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Container Store. Our community is ready to answer.