The Container Store Employee Reviews in United States

Excited and active job
Sales and Merchandising Associate (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYMay 27, 2016
Assist with display changes under the direction of the Visual Merchandising Manager or Merchandising Team
Maintain and stock the sales floor, including sales counters and all store displays and uprights/shelves, understanding the priorities of stocking, signage and cleaning
Organizational and time management skills
Assist the Merchandising Manager/Operations Manager to complete essential inventory control functions in an effort to support financial and inventory accuracy
Modern Day Slavery
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  6th Ave LocationApril 10, 2016
I haven't worked in retail since I was a teenager, but decided to work PT for TCS due to their great reputation. It was the worst experience EVER! I was fired w/o reason a couple weeks before my 1 year anniversary, received a exit form in the mail that stated I quit and they fought my unemployment.

They are known to pay well, but that's only if you are FT. 98% of their staff is PT at a $13/hr rate, while the FT staff get $50,000 a year to do the same job.
Pros
The staff. It was a pleasure working with great people.
Cons
Management. Micro Managed to do the easiest job. Unfair
Fun place to work, great culture.
Full Time Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 27, 2016
Fun place to work. Goals are required but are manageable. Communication is a key factor and lots of it. Customers are very appreciative that we go the extra mile to help them find the solutions they are looking for.
Pros
Great environment, everyone is so helpful and feels like an extension of your family.
Cons
not enough time for communication unless your a manager.
Optimistic and Employee Focused
Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesMarch 14, 2016
The Container Store has an unusual optimism about people and how they'll respond to being treated well. As a rule, this makes working there pleasant and people are usually accommodating.

As the industry changes the company is struggling to keep up with significant cultural changes from the internet, to social media, to direct to customer trends. This pattern is weakening the fundamentals of the company and a pivot is needed, but may not occur.
Pros
Optimistic, Meritocracy
Cons
Late to the party
Very energentic work environment
Visual Design Associate (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 22, 2016
A typical day at work included floor-room maintenance, customer assistance with purchases, stocking shelves, answering phones, and cashier operation. I learned a lot about most of the company's products, and how cater to an individual's needs. Management and co-workers were both very professional throughout the day. The hardest part of the job was answering questions about products without complete knowledge of the merchandise. Fulfilling a customer's request was the most enjoyable part for me.
Pros
Great team mentality
Cons
Small breakroom
Productive and Efficient work place. Fun work environment. Great teamwork qualities
seasonal sales representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 19, 2016
Overall, I enjoyed working at The Container Store. I gained experience working with customers and working different shifts. I had the opportunity to work with a diverse group of people who I learned a lot from during the time that I was there.
I enjoy the company overall, and would definitely recommend friends to inquire about employment
Visual Merchandising Dept Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2016
My typical work day varies because I wear multiple hats, so I'd say my typical day starts with me assessing all the things happening that need attention or addressing, I then scale those items and prioritize whats most important or urgent and from that point I proceed.

TCS (is how employees refer to the company) is definitely a place to learn, what you learn will depend or what capacity you fill within the team.I've learned some valuable business principles and this job enabled me to see a good model of servant leadership.

The management varies from store to store and that variable carries major weight in regards to your ability to enjoy the job and your co workers, versus keeping your dealings very guarded and professional.
Pros
The Pay and Benefits are nice
Cons
There is a ceiling for growth
Great People, Aewsome Atmosphere
Visual Sales/Elfa Designer (Current Employee) –  Hallandale, FLMay 14, 2016
Once I walk through the door my mood is automatically changed to happy, and relaxed. The environment is great to work in, and you really feel the team effort to help out. It's all genuine love you receive from the team!
Pros
Great benefits full-time and part-time
Cons
nothing really comes to mind
Voted a top employer by Fortune Magazine
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYFebruary 28, 2016
The Container Store is a very nice place to work. The people are friendly, and the values of the company far exceed any other company I've worked for. The CEO is a very charitable person who believes in always being positive. Overall, it is a great place to work, but there is little to no room for advancement.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
No room for advancement
Organized Workpplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 19, 2016
My day to day consisted of helping customers with any general merchandise questions. Helped customers design their closets.

What I learned was many ways that I could get organized.

My co-workers were friendly and willing to help.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with unhappy customers.

The most enjoyable part of working here was the smiles on the customers faces when you figure out a solution that helps them get organized.
Pros
Everything is organized
Decent place to work
Merchandise Processor (Current Employee) –  Century City, CAJanuary 14, 2016
I was hired as a seasonal employee and overall it was a nice place to work, I didn't get to spend tons of time there, obviously, as a seasonal hire, but it felt like a safe supportive environment which was nice. The job itself was simple, unloading merchandise and sorting every item into its relevant place on the sales floor and cleaning up. We got to learn some interesting sales techniques which was also a bonus. The management was considerably more strict on behavior policies than other places I've worked which I found surprising as they pride themselves on celebrating "the Individual"
Pros
Occasional free meals and goodies
Cons
Not enough hours
Employee 1st Culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 16, 2016
Caring and considerate culture, invests in employees through thoughtful transparent communication. I only hope they will sustain this culture.

This company went public approximately 3 years ago and since then payroll hours have significantly reduced, making it more difficult to engage with all team members. Managers are required to work in hourly functions more than occasionally, which takes away from the employee investment and development. It is struggle for this company to show consistent profitability as a result, recently the company announced a freeze on raises and 401 K matches. However, managers still have the potential for bonuses based on sales and payroll achievement. I am part of the management team and disagree with this, what should happen is an increase in payroll hours based on increased sales.
Pros
Training, employee 1st culture, and high talent teams
Cons
Benefits are average and managers are paid under market value
Overall, Great Company Culture!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New YorkFebruary 6, 2016
Fast paced environment. Must be able to resolve to challenges quickly. Great employee training overall, however, the management training needs to be revisited. Work-life balance needs to be revisited as well- very heavy workload. Mandatory 9 hour days. Excellent first job opportunity for students. Great team of executives.
productive, friendly
Order puller (Current Employee) –  Coppell, TXJune 7, 2016
fun place to work, training is good, i like to keep busy all the time, the only thing i don't like is the review part, having to write it every six months and you get raises by talking and being more involved in events rather than your performance in working
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYJune 20, 2016
Enjoy customer interaction and assisting management with special projects. I help increase over all sale goals. It's an productive and fun workplace and I learn something new daily.
Productive and fun workplace with food being brought in by somebody new every week
Visual Associate/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLDecember 2, 2015
It is a healthy and lively place to work. It's about developing as a person and not about the sales. Our motto is that we hire "1 equals 3" employees. That means everyone that is hired is three times a normal employee. That is why the work environment is so hospitable.
Pros
Co-workers, management, great food
Cons
More working hours
Loved the attention to detail
Overnight Merchandise Processor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2016
Great co-workers fun environment Work was easy due to the awesome people. Management was good overall. Terrific products to work with
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Not enough hours at times
Great Overall Work Experience
Floor Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 24, 2016
The Container store was a friendly, family environment that was driven by product placement and customer service. It was a seasonal college job for me but I learned a lot about how to manage a location and employees
Coworkers are great
DC Associate (Current Employee) –  Coppell, TXMarch 8, 2016
The Container Store was the place to find fantastic products to meet every storage and organizational need. The company offers good salaries , employee discounts and extensive training.
Pros
parties
Cons
constant changes
good part time job
Visual Merchandiser/Sales/Elfa Closet Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2016
They mostly only hire part time workers. A lot of employees have worked there for a very long time. Company appreciates its employees. Pay isn't great, but only part time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Container Store. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2