The Container Store Employee Reviews

Employee first driven company.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 1, 2016
The Container Store is very employee first driven, The amount of training and product info available is incredible..
Most days include various "jobs" being done all of which revolve around our customers and solving their organizational needs.
The team work and constant communication makes it possible to ensure customers are being helped from the time they enter the store until they exit.
Great environment with great coworkers.
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJAugust 8, 2016
Great co-workers and managers, make sure you are fully trained in the roles they ask you to fulfill. Encourage asking for help if needed. Everyone is always willing to help out and the managers do their best to work with you in regards to your scheduling.

Unless you are working register, flexibility is a big part of the job as you may have to switch roles for what is needed in the store at the time.
Pros
Good environment. Great training as well
Cons
Can't always get a break if you aren't scheduled for one
Company is a good company.
Sales Associate and Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 3, 2016
Enjoyed working with customer's. Associates worked together in harmony,
Quit, due to store management team. Overall, did not support sales associates and one manger spoke to associates in a condescending tone in front of customers.
Pros
Helped me in getting back into workforce
Cons
Store management
Just a job, not a career
Sales and Design (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 25, 2016
This is a decent place to work as far as conditions and life/work balance but the pay is not as good as they claim it is and benefits for part-timers are not that great but better than nothing - just barely.
Pros
Nice work atmosphere
Cons
Rather a cult mentality to how the company is run. They expect everyone to "sell, sell, sell" with no real reward for performance.
Great College Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 5, 2016
Working at the container store was a great choice for me. They provide a fun up-beat environment for you to work in and there are always opportunities to grow and learn. There are not many full time positions however so it is a hard company to move up in.
Pros
Fun, challenging, positive
Cons
upward mobility, weekends
loved it before TCS went public
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 11, 2016
working 15-20 hours is fine for me. i enjoy working on a team and working with the customers; love the products. management seems to always shift around, quitting or getting fired. a few manager's could learn the difference between assertiveness and abrasiveness and sincerity. appreciate the diversity of co-workers. hardest part of the job is being on your feet sometimes 5 hours at time. the most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers with organizational solutions.
Pros
quarterly meetings, scheduling, great products & discount
Cons
abrasive manager, POP star sign ups
Don't bother
associate (Former Employee) –  soutlake, txJuly 9, 2016
If you are a hard working person that thinks you can have a career with this company then just stay away.
Most of them, including management made few of us that started at the same time feel very unwelcomed. We were in shock. We went thru their training thinking this was going to be awesome only to be treated very poorly. Promotions are based on who knows who...
Not worth going thru the whole hiring process and get excited about it only to be very disappointed once you start working.
Pros
discount
Cons
schedule, nepotism, hostile environment
negative
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXJune 29, 2016
It is a very weird company. At least the store i was in.
Training was great but as soon as you get on the floor they turn into these hateful lunatics. I had a coworker actually throw a fit cuz i walked away from her to help a customer and she started yelling at me " you never leave your partner"...we were doing a visual display and i was gone for 5 min. I feel they are step above brainwashing. Just plain ol'nuts. Left as soon as i got a normal job.
Pros
good discount
Cons
if you have any education and experience stay away from this place, plus so much nepotism...
company as a whole is good
Head elfa designer (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILAugust 23, 2016
each store is different. Company has great ideas and cares about employees. The idea to go public has been a struggle as the employees are feeling a little put out. The people hired are wonderful. The managers need work to be more of a people person
Pros
employees, benefits, discounts
Cons
managers
The most enjoyable part of the job
Sales Associate/Visual Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 1, 2016
I really enjoy working with a great team. I feel like most of us are part of a family. I like to help customers in the store and make sure I find the right solution.
Pros
pot lucks, free food (sometimes), 15 min breaks
Cons
benefits, hours
Excited and active job
Sales and Merchandising Associate (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYMay 27, 2016
Assist with display changes under the direction of the Visual Merchandising Manager or Merchandising Team
Maintain and stock the sales floor, including sales counters and all store displays and uprights/shelves, understanding the priorities of stocking, signage and cleaning
Organizational and time management skills
Assist the Merchandising Manager/Operations Manager to complete essential inventory control functions in an effort to support financial and inventory accuracy
I enjoy the company overall, and would definitely recommend friends to inquire about employment
Visual Merchandising Dept Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2016
My typical work day varies because I wear multiple hats, so I'd say my typical day starts with me assessing all the things happening that need attention or addressing, I then scale those items and prioritize whats most important or urgent and from that point I proceed.

TCS (is how employees refer to the company) is definitely a place to learn, what you learn will depend or what capacity you fill within the team.I've learned some valuable business principles and this job enabled me to see a good model of servant leadership.

The management varies from store to store and that variable carries major weight in regards to your ability to enjoy the job and your co workers, versus keeping your dealings very guarded and professional.
Pros
The Pay and Benefits are nice
Cons
There is a ceiling for growth
I loved my job.
Full-time Sales (Former Employee) –  Miami, floridaJuly 6, 2016
Truly a great place to work, they give you the tools you need to advance your career. The staff is great also.
Lots of recognition for a job well done.
Pros
Never have to work both Saturday's & Sunday's which is unusual in Retail.
Cons
did not handle going public very well.
Fun place to work, great culture.
Full Time Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 27, 2016
Fun place to work. Goals are required but are manageable. Communication is a key factor and lots of it. Customers are very appreciative that we go the extra mile to help them find the solutions they are looking for.
Pros
Great environment, everyone is so helpful and feels like an extension of your family.
Cons
not enough time for communication unless your a manager.
Modern Day Slavery
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  6th Ave LocationApril 10, 2016
I haven't worked in retail since I was a teenager, but decided to work PT for TCS due to their great reputation. It was the worst experience EVER! I was fired w/o reason a couple weeks before my 1 year anniversary, received a exit form in the mail that stated I quit and they fought my unemployment.

They are known to pay well, but that's only if you are FT. 98% of their staff is PT at a $13/hr rate, while the FT staff get $50,000 a year to do the same job.
Pros
The staff. It was a pleasure working with great people.
Cons
Management. Micro Managed to do the easiest job. Unfair
Unique Retail Environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 10, 2016
Typical day to day Retail environment. Culture is special and always promote employee first. Can be a bit of cult like with employees that have been there for 20 years plus.
At the Container Store, I was a Register Sales Person
Register Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAJuly 11, 2016
This was only a seasonal part-time position. I liked working at this company a lot, but they were not hiring. I would give this Company a 4 star rating. This job was located in Vienna, Virginia.
Great People, Aewsome Atmosphere
Visual Sales/Elfa Designer (Current Employee) –  Hallandale, FLMay 14, 2016
Once I walk through the door my mood is automatically changed to happy, and relaxed. The environment is great to work in, and you really feel the team effort to help out. It's all genuine love you receive from the team!
Pros
Great benefits full-time and part-time
Cons
nothing really comes to mind
What a fun place to work.
Full-time Sales (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 1, 2016
I would like to see more develop for young managers, more internship programs. I felt I was truly compensated for my time. I worked 60 hour work weeks and can say I never felt overwhelmed.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No designated meal breaks.
productive, friendly
Order puller (Current Employee) –  Coppell, TXJune 7, 2016
fun place to work, training is good, i like to keep busy all the time, the only thing i don't like is the review part, having to write it every six months and you get raises by talking and being more involved in events rather than your performance in working

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Container Store. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2