The Container Store Employee Reviews

Great culture based on the founders' inentions
Retail Sales / Designer / Training (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NC, but worked in other stores since 2010January 24, 2017
The Container Store has been around for over 38 years and is a great company to work for due to the foundation principles founded by its original founders. The company is known for for its culture and environment and considering the retail industry, it is a great place to work. The company provides benefits to its part-time employees, which is unique of any other retail company. Depending on the store location or headquarters in Dallas, you will get a variety of management. If the location sticks with its foundation principles and culture, it is an amazing company to work for,
Initially a good reception, but then the politics comes in to play.
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXAugust 16, 2016
After the company went public, there was a steep decline in culture and overall caring of its employees. An initially "employee based" culture has shifted to a numbers production game. With the implement of the horribly designed automation, which is costing much more money and ironically significantly less production, and addition of outside management with a whip-and-chain reputation, I witnessed first hand at a disappearing recruitment line. This is the perspective of a warehouse employee that had office-sitting-management make decisions with no day-to-day knowledge of the new system on the floor. It may seem good on paper but the employees, through frustration and consequences, have to suffer until the weekly numbers are glanced over. Employee input is nill and the only reason to work there is full benefits and a nice check with no kids, rent, groceries, gas and basic costs of living. You'll be working check to check which luckily is weekly, but that's it because the automation is so flawed and people are quitting left and right which causes no advancement due to focus being on getting out of a warehouse after 12+ HOURS! Good LUCK!
Pros
Expensive cafeteria on-site, Coworkers
Cons
I enjoy the company overall, and would definitely recommend friends to inquire about employment
Visual Merchandising Dept Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2016
My typical work day varies because I wear multiple hats, so I'd say my typical day starts with me assessing all the things happening that need attention or addressing, I then scale those items and prioritize whats most important or urgent and from that point I proceed.

TCS (is how employees refer to the company) is definitely a place to learn, what you learn will depend or what capacity you fill within the team.I've learned some valuable business principles and this job enabled me to see a good model of servant leadership.

The management varies from store to store and that variable carries major weight in regards to your ability to enjoy the job and your co workers, versus keeping your dealings very guarded and professional.
Pros
The Pay and Benefits are nice
Cons
There is a ceiling for growth
Just a job, not a career
Sales and Design (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 25, 2016
This is a decent place to work as far as conditions and life/work balance but the pay is not as good as they claim it is and benefits for part-timers are not that great but better than nothing - just barely.
Pros
Nice work atmosphere
Cons
Rather a cult mentality to how the company is run. They expect everyone to "sell, sell, sell" with no real reward for performance.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Sales Associate/Visual Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 1, 2016
I really enjoy working with a great team. I feel like most of us are part of a family. I like to help customers in the store and make sure I find the right solution.
Pros
pot lucks, free food (sometimes), 15 min breaks
Cons
benefits, hours
Employee 1st Culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 16, 2016
Caring and considerate culture, invests in employees through thoughtful transparent communication. I only hope they will sustain this culture.

This company went public approximately 3 years ago and since then payroll hours have significantly reduced, making it more difficult to engage with all team members. Managers are required to work in hourly functions more than occasionally, which takes away from the employee investment and development. It is struggle for this company to show consistent profitability as a result, recently the company announced a freeze on raises and 401 K matches. However, managers still have the potential for bonuses based on sales and payroll achievement. I am part of the management team and disagree with this, what should happen is an increase in payroll hours based on increased sales.
Pros
Training, employee 1st culture, and high talent teams
Cons
Benefits are average and managers are paid under market value
company as a whole is good
Head elfa designer (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILAugust 23, 2016
each store is different. Company has great ideas and cares about employees. The idea to go public has been a struggle as the employees are feeling a little put out. The people hired are wonderful. The managers need work to be more of a people person
Pros
employees, benefits, discounts
Cons
managers
productive, friendly
Order puller (Current Employee) –  Coppell, TXJune 7, 2016
fun place to work, training is good, i like to keep busy all the time, the only thing i don't like is the review part, having to write it every six months and you get raises by talking and being more involved in events rather than your performance in working
What a fun place to work.
Full-time Sales (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 1, 2016
I would like to see more develop for young managers, more internship programs. I felt I was truly compensated for my time. I worked 60 hour work weeks and can say I never felt overwhelmed.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No designated meal breaks.
Great culture and family, not enough pay and too much waste.
Order Processor/Sales Associate/Designer (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYDecember 31, 2016
I have worked at The Container Store for nearly three years and, while the people, culture, and atmosphere are terrific, the pay is not as good as the company they are trying to present themselves as. The working conditions are not optimal either. Though they could be far worse, the amount of plastics, grease, dust, and overall wasteful products that employees regularly handle seems to increase each year. Its an interesting situation; I care so much about the people I work with, that I wish they worked somewhere else, maybe where they could be appreciated a little bit more and a little healthier.
Great People, Aewsome Atmosphere
Visual Sales/Elfa Designer (Current Employee) –  Hallandale, FLMay 14, 2016
Once I walk through the door my mood is automatically changed to happy, and relaxed. The environment is great to work in, and you really feel the team effort to help out. It's all genuine love you receive from the team!
Pros
Great benefits full-time and part-time
Cons
nothing really comes to mind
loved it before TCS went public
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 11, 2016
working 15-20 hours is fine for me. i enjoy working on a team and working with the customers; love the products. management seems to always shift around, quitting or getting fired. a few manager's could learn the difference between assertiveness and abrasiveness and sincerity. appreciate the diversity of co-workers. hardest part of the job is being on your feet sometimes 5 hours at time. the most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers with organizational solutions.
Pros
quarterly meetings, scheduling, great products & discount
Cons
abrasive manager, POP star sign ups
productive and fun work place with good moral
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  59th streetJanuary 20, 2017
Everyone at The Container Store was willing to help you with anything you needed. I learned various selling tactics like "Man in the Desert Selling" which means do not just assume your customer needs water (assuming he or she is lost in the desert and found you), be their oasis, find them food, a good place to sleep and clothing. In essence, provide them with everything they may need instead of just what they came in looking for. I would recommend this job to anyone who loves to work with people and would love to be part of a great and productive team.
Don't bother
associate (Former Employee) –  soutlake, txJuly 9, 2016
If you are a hard working person that thinks you can have a career with this company then just stay away.
Most of them, including management made few of us that started at the same time feel very unwelcomed. We were in shock. We went thru their training thinking this was going to be awesome only to be treated very poorly. Promotions are based on who knows who...
Not worth going thru the whole hiring process and get excited about it only to be very disappointed once you start working.
Pros
discount
Cons
schedule, nepotism, hostile environment
Upbeat and supportive work environment striving to help others
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 29, 2016
The Container Store has been a wonderful work experience. I've never worked with such friendly and genuine coworkers before, and I feel comfortable and confident to talk to management about issues I may have.
Pros
Long lunch break, wonderful staff, genuine managers
Company is a good company.
Sales Associate and Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 3, 2016
Enjoyed working with customer's. Associates worked together in harmony,
Quit, due to store management team. Overall, did not support sales associates and one manger spoke to associates in a condescending tone in front of customers.
Pros
Helped me in getting back into workforce
Cons
Store management
very fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cranston, RIJanuary 20, 2017
great job a typical work day would essential consist of just providing excellent customer service. I learned great customer service techniques to really connect and interact with the customer. Management was great and always could answer questions thoroughly.
Best Place to work at
CASHIER & SALES (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WAFebruary 7, 2017
Best place to work at. Everyone is so nice and the work ethics is amazing. Plus Organizing is keys to everything. The management a this location is friendly and nice. Everyone helps each other in many ways, with encouragement and organization.
Cons
Employee first driven company.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 1, 2016
The Container Store is very employee first driven, The amount of training and product info available is incredible..
Most days include various "jobs" being done all of which revolve around our customers and solving their organizational needs.
The team work and constant communication makes it possible to ensure customers are being helped from the time they enter the store until they exit.
They lost their way
Sales & Visual Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 10, 2017
The employee first culture has been lost. Managers are disconnected and do not make efforts to keep the good employees.

It seems that managers are there to micromanage the employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Container Store. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2