The Container Store Employee Reviews

Friendly employee atmosphere!
Visual Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYNovember 20, 2017
With a great company culture and fabulous managers, TCS was one of the best experiences I had in retail. I had a great group of coworkers who welcomed me in when I began, and helped every step of the way through my development at the company.
Pros
discounts, company culture
Productive, customer oriented workplace
Stockroom associate/visual sales (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GANovember 6, 2017
I work the truck shift every week from 5 AM - 11 AM. During that time, we make sure all products are in their proper place so that the store is ready for the customers.
Mom/pop mentality
Advertising and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXNovember 4, 2017
No advancement opportunities, career planning or succession planning. No job descriptions. Doesn't believe in job titles. No HR department at corporate office. Cannot contribute to 401k until completing 11 months on job.
Was good at first.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newark, DENovember 2, 2017
Not enough hours.
If get hurt, blame employee
no room for advancement.
No Raises
Critical of everything
Does have great discounts.
Fun people at first
Pros
Discount
Cons
Hours
Positive Up-building Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Arden-Arcade, CAOctober 30, 2017
I worked as part time sales. Selling closets and other items throughout the store. It was a great team i worked with. Friendly, positive environment. Management was always willing to help and train. I always received constructive criticism to help improve myself as a sales person. I would recommend this work environment to anyone.
Pros
Great team to work with
Cons
Healthcare is not great
one of the best jobs that I have had
Visual Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 30, 2017
The Container Store treats all employees like management. It trains you to help the customer in any way you can. It is a family type atmosphere and fosters creativity. I have utilized the training I received there in every other job I have had.
container store
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Coppell, TXOctober 25, 2017
It was a good place to work,Bad management cost sales to decline by 80%.Container store management gave us a choice lay off or freeze all raises 401 benefits .Hours dropped off team members quiting not a great place to work now.

Jim
Things have changed
Visual Sales (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 24, 2017
The Container Store was a great place to work when I started. The people were great, the customers were great, the management was great. Over the years the culture has declined, tenured associates are leaving and new faces are coming from outside companies to something completely different. Now a typical day is short staffed with customers complaining that they cant find anyone to help them and there are long lines at the register.
Pros
Jeans and tennis shoes every day
Cons
Wage freeze for the last two years, no 401K match, short staffed because of payroll hours
management was cutthroat and dishonest
Lead the department (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXOctober 23, 2017
coworkers were great for the most part. the company and the original owners were wonderful human beings but they were out of the loop as far as working conditions in the warehouse. management was out of control. my manager was fired after being caught stealing from the company.
Pros
great company-games, parties, lunches
Cons
bad managers in warehouse
Organized, structured place to work
Part-Time Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJOctober 22, 2017
A typical day at work is difficult to discuss as I only work 8 hours per work at The Container Store since it is a part-time job. The environment is great, and they have solid founding principles
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Great culture and benefits
Sales (Former Employee) –  BellevueOctober 17, 2017
It really was a great store. We had fun for the most part and they were good about making you feel valued and respected. I always knew where I stood with them. Benefits were good, training is great. They taught me a lot in paid training that I still use!
Pros
good discount, good benefits, decent wages, great training
Cons
couldn't get more hours
Managers at my store focused on what you do wrong.
Full-time Visual Sales (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 10, 2017
Negative focus to every task. It's about what you haven't done instead of celebrating what you have.

It was not always this way and I cannot speak for every store, but the Austin, TX store is awful to work for.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Toxic Environment
I love this place
Order Processor (Current Employee) –  Edina, MNOctober 5, 2017
I can't say enough about this job. They really care about your career and advancement. The sky is the limit with The Container Store. If they have an opening you should apply.
favoritism at work
Full Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 4, 2017
If you're not one of the Store Managements favorite's - then you're definitely out of luck!
Recent departure of tenure staff due to new structure of the company going PUBLIC instead of privately owned.
I bet that the container store doesn't make Fortune's List of the Best Companies to work for this year!
MORAL is at a all time low for the employees that are still there and I'm thinking that some will not be there too much longer - due to all of the favoritism and Patronage that is provided to some employees and not all?
Pros
discount
Cons
favoritism at work
Poor Management
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 29, 2017
The overall job isn't difficult but if you want to have to check in every 5 minutes this is the place for you. This was one of the most micromanaging places I have every worked. The current GM has a knack for singing your praises but belittling you at the same time. She gets way too paranoid that everyone is talking about her and it is almost impossible to converse with coworkers without feeling like you're being watched.
Pros
Short work days
Cons
Crazy management
Very Good Company but not enough hours
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2017
I like working at the container store but didn't get enough hours. The management was good and the enviroment was positive and supportive. Daily I would either work at the register, restock shelfs, or work with customers selling.
The Best Place I Have Ever Worked
Visual Sales (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 14, 2017
Provided me an opportunity to travel, coach and train, learn new technical skills, meet life long friends, use some of the foundation principals in my current day to day life.
Fun, Productive Work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peabody, MASeptember 6, 2017
Opening the store, keying in safe guards for the structures involved. Starting money procedures to open. Accepting money in and out of the safe. Daily logs of financial status within the company. Reviewing sales and helping to push those forward by selling the closet systems.
Nice place to for part time work
Visual/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 5, 2017
Nice place to for part time work. Nice people and good quality products. Care what customers think. Fast paced and fun. Friendly coworkers and staff. Will learn a lot about visual merchandising and how to do sales.
Great place to work!
Inventory Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 1, 2017
The Container Store was an amazing place to work. The culture and atmosphere were outstanding. The employees were so full of energy every day it made working such a positive experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Container Store. Our community is ready to answer.