The Container Store Employee Reviews in United States

Voted a top employer by Fortune Magazine
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYFebruary 28, 2016
The Container Store is a very nice place to work. The people are friendly, and the values of the company far exceed any other company I've worked for. The CEO is a very charitable person who believes in always being positive. Overall, it is a great place to work, but there is little to no room for advancement.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
No room for advancement
Overall, Great Company Culture!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New YorkFebruary 6, 2016
Fast paced environment. Must be able to resolve to challenges quickly. Great employee training overall, however, the management training needs to be revisited. Work-life balance needs to be revisited as well- very heavy workload. Mandatory 9 hour days. Excellent first job opportunity for students. Great team of executives.
Very energentic work environment
Visual Design Associate (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 22, 2016
A typical day at work included floor-room maintenance, customer assistance with purchases, stocking shelves, answering phones, and cashier operation. I learned a lot about most of the company's products, and how cater to an individual's needs. Management and co-workers were both very professional throughout the day. The hardest part of the job was answering questions about products without complete knowledge of the merchandise. Fulfilling a customer's request was the most enjoyable part for me.
Pros
Great team mentality
Cons
Small breakroom
Decent place to work
Merchandise Processor (Current Employee) –  Century City, CAJanuary 14, 2016
I was hired as a seasonal employee and overall it was a nice place to work, I didn't get to spend tons of time there, obviously, as a seasonal hire, but it felt like a safe supportive environment which was nice. The job itself was simple, unloading merchandise and sorting every item into its relevant place on the sales floor and cleaning up. We got to learn some interesting sales techniques which was also a bonus. The management was considerably more strict on behavior policies than other places I've worked which I found surprising as they pride themselves on celebrating "the Individual"
Pros
Occasional free meals and goodies
Cons
Not enough hours
I enjoy the company overall, and would definitely recommend friends to inquire about employment
Visual Merchandising Dept Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2016
My typical work day varies because I wear multiple hats, so I'd say my typical day starts with me assessing all the things happening that need attention or addressing, I then scale those items and prioritize whats most important or urgent and from that point I proceed.

TCS (is how employees refer to the company) is definitely a place to learn, what you learn will depend or what capacity you fill within the team.I've learned some valuable business principles and this job enabled me to see a good model of servant leadership.

The management varies from store to store and that variable carries major weight in regards to your ability to enjoy the job and your co workers, versus keeping your dealings very guarded and professional.
Pros
The Pay and Benefits are nice
Cons
There is a ceiling for growth
Employee 1st Culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 16, 2016
Caring and considerate culture, invests in employees through thoughtful transparent communication. I only hope they will sustain this culture.

This company went public approximately 3 years ago and since then payroll hours have significantly reduced, making it more difficult to engage with all team members. Managers are required to work in hourly functions more than occasionally, which takes away from the employee investment and development. It is struggle for this company to show consistent profitability as a result, recently the company announced a freeze on raises and 401 K matches. However, managers still have the potential for bonuses based on sales and payroll achievement. I am part of the management team and disagree with this, what should happen is an increase in payroll hours based on increased sales.
Pros
Training, employee 1st culture, and high talent teams
Cons
Benefits are average and managers are paid under market value
loved it before TCS went public
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 11, 2016
working 15-20 hours is fine for me. i enjoy working on a team and working with the customers; love the products. management seems to always shift around, quitting or getting fired. a few manager's could learn the difference between assertiveness and abrasiveness and sincerity. appreciate the diversity of co-workers. hardest part of the job is being on your feet sometimes 5 hours at time. the most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers with organizational solutions.
Pros
quarterly meetings, scheduling, great products & discount
Cons
abrasive manager, POP star sign ups
negative
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXJune 29, 2016
It is a very weird company. At least the store i was in.
Training was great but as soon as you get on the floor they turn into these hateful lunatics. I had a coworker actually throw a fit cuz i walked away from her to help a customer and she started yelling at me " you never leave your partner"...we were doing a visual display and i was gone for 5 min. I feel they are step above brainwashing. Just plain ol'nuts. Left as soon as i got a normal job.
Pros
good discount
Cons
if you have any education and experience stay away from this place, plus so much nepotism...
Don't bother
associate (Former Employee) –  soutlake, txJuly 9, 2016
If you are a hard working person that thinks you can have a career with this company then just stay away.
Most of them, including management made few of us that started at the same time feel very unwelcomed. We were in shock. We went thru their training thinking this was going to be awesome only to be treated very poorly. Promotions are based on who knows who...
Not worth going thru the whole hiring process and get excited about it only to be very disappointed once you start working.
Pros
discount
Cons
schedule, nepotism, hostile environment
Excited and active job
Sales and Merchandising Associate (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYMay 27, 2016
Assist with display changes under the direction of the Visual Merchandising Manager or Merchandising Team
Maintain and stock the sales floor, including sales counters and all store displays and uprights/shelves, understanding the priorities of stocking, signage and cleaning
Organizational and time management skills
Assist the Merchandising Manager/Operations Manager to complete essential inventory control functions in an effort to support financial and inventory accuracy

Want to know more about The Container Store?

Ask a question
Modern Day Slavery
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  6th Ave LocationApril 10, 2016
I haven't worked in retail since I was a teenager, but decided to work PT for TCS due to their great reputation. It was the worst experience EVER! I was fired w/o reason a couple weeks before my 1 year anniversary, received a exit form in the mail that stated I quit and they fought my unemployment.

They are known to pay well, but that's only if you are FT. 98% of their staff is PT at a $13/hr rate, while the FT staff get $50,000 a year to do the same job.
Pros
The staff. It was a pleasure working with great people.
Cons
Management. Micro Managed to do the easiest job. Unfair
1 equals 3
Part-Time Merchandise Processing Leader (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 2, 2016
A thoroughly enjoyable company to work for! I learned so much from this company, especially about Conscious Capitalism and strong work ethic. The Foundation Principles of The Container Store set the guidelines for each employee. From the beginning, employees are treated with respect and honor. The hiring process is long and detailed and once hired, you know you have been specially chosen to work for The Container Store. Their Principle “1 equals 3” means that one great employee equals three good employees and The Container Store only hires great employees. Wow! What a concept!
Ongoing training is provided and store meetings (required attendance) are fun and informative. The work atmosphere is charged with ebullience and enjoyment and lifetime friendships are formed here.
On the flip side, pay is not high and pay increases are low percentages. The Container Store hires mostly part-time employees. Getting a full time position at a store is quite difficult, but not totally unheard of. According to one report, full time employees at The Container Store earn around $50,000/yr; however, I have no personal knowledge of this.
Pros
Great employee training
Cons
Low pay
Optimistic and Employee Focused
Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesMarch 14, 2016
The Container Store has an unusual optimism about people and how they'll respond to being treated well. As a rule, this makes working there pleasant and people are usually accommodating.

As the industry changes the company is struggling to keep up with significant cultural changes from the internet, to social media, to direct to customer trends. This pattern is weakening the fundamentals of the company and a pivot is needed, but may not occur.
Pros
Optimistic, Meritocracy
Cons
Late to the party
Productive and Great Place to Work
Prime Time Employee (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CASeptember 24, 2015
Excellent training to produce knowledgeable and productive employees. Great people to work with. Fun, positive productive work environment with supportive management. Not all about the numbers, but how to help you grow and develop.
Pros
competitive pay, quality training
Cons
healthcare
Productive and fun workplace with food being brought in by somebody new every week
Visual Associate/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLDecember 2, 2015
It is a healthy and lively place to work. It's about developing as a person and not about the sales. Our motto is that we hire "1 equals 3" employees. That means everyone that is hired is three times a normal employee. That is why the work environment is so hospitable.
Pros
Co-workers, management, great food
Cons
More working hours
Fun place to work, great culture.
Full Time Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 27, 2016
Fun place to work. Goals are required but are manageable. Communication is a key factor and lots of it. Customers are very appreciative that we go the extra mile to help them find the solutions they are looking for.
Pros
Great environment, everyone is so helpful and feels like an extension of your family.
Cons
not enough time for communication unless your a manager.
The real plus is having hours that fit with employees who have children
Visual Sales Merchandising Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 25, 2015
Each day upon arrival, the employee would find out what position/area they would be working in for their shift. I learned how the visibility of items and campaigns hugely impacted sales of a particular item. The management was okay. Our manager recently was fired after corporate figured out she was the cause of massive turnovers. The hardest part of the job is lifting and removing items at the very top in the stockroom or on the floor in front of customers. Sometimes you don't have anyone to assist you so you must be extra careful as customers are below you. I enjoy the new campaigns and products we see first.
Great People, Aewsome Atmosphere
Visual Sales/Elfa Designer (Current Employee) –  Hallandale, FLMay 14, 2016
Once I walk through the door my mood is automatically changed to happy, and relaxed. The environment is great to work in, and you really feel the team effort to help out. It's all genuine love you receive from the team!
Pros
Great benefits full-time and part-time
Cons
nothing really comes to mind
Productive and Efficient work place. Fun work environment. Great teamwork qualities
seasonal sales representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 19, 2016
Overall, I enjoyed working at The Container Store. I gained experience working with customers and working different shifts. I had the opportunity to work with a diverse group of people who I learned a lot from during the time that I was there.
Best Retail Job I Ever Had
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 7, 2014
The Container Store culture is one of enthusiasm and teamwork. They set the bar high on the services they provide customers, but it never goes unrewarded. Daily and weekly team meetings to talk about sales goals is typical, but the meetings are approached in a positive way -- one that gets you excited to work hard to meet those goals as a team. Holiday time in retail environments can be stressful, but at The Container Store, you can be chosen to give gift wrapping demonstrations to customers and it is so much fun. Management team worked hard but they always were approachable and helpful. Pay and benefits were the best I have seen in most retail sales associate positions. They encourage promotion from within and many people stay on with the company for years.
Pros
great pay, positive team environment, room to advance, hard work is always noticed
Cons
carrying product to customers' cars in bad weather was never fun, but they give you coats to wear if it's cold or raining

4.2