The Container Store Employee Reviews

Unique Retail Environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 10, 2016
Typical day to day Retail environment. Culture is special and always promote employee first. Can be a bit of cult like with employees that have been there for 20 years plus.
Just a job, not a career
Sales and Design (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 25, 2016
This is a decent place to work as far as conditions and life/work balance but the pay is not as good as they claim it is and benefits for part-timers are not that great but better than nothing - just barely.
Pros
Nice work atmosphere
Cons
Rather a cult mentality to how the company is run. They expect everyone to "sell, sell, sell" with no real reward for performance.
company as a whole is good
Head elfa designer (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILAugust 23, 2016
each store is different. Company has great ideas and cares about employees. The idea to go public has been a struggle as the employees are feeling a little put out. The people hired are wonderful. The managers need work to be more of a people person
Pros
employees, benefits, discounts
Cons
managers
Initially a good reception, but then the politics comes in to play.
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXAugust 16, 2016
After the company went public, there was a steep decline in culture and overall caring of its employees. An initially "employee based" culture has shifted to a numbers production game. With the implement of the horribly designed automation, which is costing much more money and ironically significantly less production, and addition of outside management with a whip-and-chain reputation, I witnessed first hand at a disappearing recruitment line. This is the perspective of a warehouse employee that had office-sitting-management make decisions with no day-to-day knowledge of the new system on the floor. It may seem good on paper but the employees, through frustration and consequences, have to suffer until the weekly numbers are glanced over. Employee input is nill and the only reason to work there is full benefits and a nice check with no kids, rent, groceries, gas and basic costs of living. You'll be working check to check which luckily is weekly, but that's it because the automation is so flawed and people are quitting left and right which causes no advancement due to focus being on getting out of a warehouse after 12+ HOURS! Good LUCK!
Pros
Expensive cafeteria on-site, Coworkers
Cons
Great environment with great coworkers.
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJAugust 8, 2016
Great co-workers and managers, make sure you are fully trained in the roles they ask you to fulfill. Encourage asking for help if needed. Everyone is always willing to help out and the managers do their best to work with you in regards to your scheduling.

Unless you are working register, flexibility is a big part of the job as you may have to switch roles for what is needed in the store at the time.
Pros
Good environment. Great training as well
Cons
Can't always get a break if you aren't scheduled for one
Great Working Environment
Part-Time Team - Sales Training (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 27, 2016
Constantly training on new products, product offerings, sales and selling skills. The company is always training us in some way to be better at serving the customers.
Provides several great services to the community
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cranston, RIJuly 17, 2016
It was hard to find out what manager to follow here. It always felt like everyone was on their own team and not working together.
loved it before TCS went public
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 11, 2016
working 15-20 hours is fine for me. i enjoy working on a team and working with the customers; love the products. management seems to always shift around, quitting or getting fired. a few manager's could learn the difference between assertiveness and abrasiveness and sincerity. appreciate the diversity of co-workers. hardest part of the job is being on your feet sometimes 5 hours at time. the most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers with organizational solutions.
Pros
quarterly meetings, scheduling, great products & discount
Cons
abrasive manager, POP star sign ups
Don't bother
associate (Former Employee) –  soutlake, txJuly 9, 2016
If you are a hard working person that thinks you can have a career with this company then just stay away.
Most of them, including management made few of us that started at the same time feel very unwelcomed. We were in shock. We went thru their training thinking this was going to be awesome only to be treated very poorly. Promotions are based on who knows who...
Not worth going thru the whole hiring process and get excited about it only to be very disappointed once you start working.
Pros
discount
Cons
schedule, nepotism, hostile environment
I loved my job.
Full-time Sales (Former Employee) –  Miami, floridaJuly 6, 2016
Truly a great place to work, they give you the tools you need to advance your career. The staff is great also.
Lots of recognition for a job well done.
Pros
Never have to work both Saturday's & Sunday's which is unusual in Retail.
Cons
did not handle going public very well.
1 equals 3
Part-Time Merchandise Processing Leader (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 2, 2016
A thoroughly enjoyable company to work for! I learned so much from this company, especially about Conscious Capitalism and strong work ethic. The Foundation Principles of The Container Store set the guidelines for each employee. From the beginning, employees are treated with respect and honor. The hiring process is long and detailed and once hired, you know you have been specially chosen to work for The Container Store. Their Principle “1 equals 3” means that one great employee equals three good employees and The Container Store only hires great employees. Wow! What a concept!
Ongoing training is provided and store meetings (required attendance) are fun and informative. The work atmosphere is charged with ebullience and enjoyment and lifetime friendships are formed here.
On the flip side, pay is not high and pay increases are low percentages. The Container Store hires mostly part-time employees. Getting a full time position at a store is quite difficult, but not totally unheard of. According to one report, full time employees at The Container Store earn around $50,000/yr; however, I have no personal knowledge of this.
Pros
Great employee training
Cons
Low pay
What a fun place to work.
Full-time Sales (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 1, 2016
I would like to see more develop for young managers, more internship programs. I felt I was truly compensated for my time. I worked 60 hour work weeks and can say I never felt overwhelmed.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No designated meal breaks.
negative
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXJune 29, 2016
It is a very weird company. At least the store i was in.
Training was great but as soon as you get on the floor they turn into these hateful lunatics. I had a coworker actually throw a fit cuz i walked away from her to help a customer and she started yelling at me " you never leave your partner"...we were doing a visual display and i was gone for 5 min. I feel they are step above brainwashing. Just plain ol'nuts. Left as soon as i got a normal job.
Pros
good discount
Cons
if you have any education and experience stay away from this place, plus so much nepotism...
I enjoy the company overall, and would definitely recommend friends to inquire about employment
Visual Merchandising Dept Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2016
My typical work day varies because I wear multiple hats, so I'd say my typical day starts with me assessing all the things happening that need attention or addressing, I then scale those items and prioritize whats most important or urgent and from that point I proceed.

TCS (is how employees refer to the company) is definitely a place to learn, what you learn will depend or what capacity you fill within the team.I've learned some valuable business principles and this job enabled me to see a good model of servant leadership.

The management varies from store to store and that variable carries major weight in regards to your ability to enjoy the job and your co workers, versus keeping your dealings very guarded and professional.
Pros
The Pay and Benefits are nice
Cons
There is a ceiling for growth
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYJune 20, 2016
Enjoy customer interaction and assisting management with special projects. I help increase over all sale goals. It's an productive and fun workplace and I learn something new daily.
productive, friendly
Order puller (Current Employee) –  Coppell, TXJune 7, 2016
fun place to work, training is good, i like to keep busy all the time, the only thing i don't like is the review part, having to write it every six months and you get raises by talking and being more involved in events rather than your performance in working
Excited and active job
Sales and Merchandising Associate (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYMay 27, 2016
Assist with display changes under the direction of the Visual Merchandising Manager or Merchandising Team
Maintain and stock the sales floor, including sales counters and all store displays and uprights/shelves, understanding the priorities of stocking, signage and cleaning
Organizational and time management skills
Assist the Merchandising Manager/Operations Manager to complete essential inventory control functions in an effort to support financial and inventory accuracy
Great People, Aewsome Atmosphere
Visual Sales/Elfa Designer (Current Employee) –  Hallandale, FLMay 14, 2016
Once I walk through the door my mood is automatically changed to happy, and relaxed. The environment is great to work in, and you really feel the team effort to help out. It's all genuine love you receive from the team!
Pros
Great benefits full-time and part-time
Cons
nothing really comes to mind
Fun place to work, great culture.
Full Time Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 27, 2016
Fun place to work. Goals are required but are manageable. Communication is a key factor and lots of it. Customers are very appreciative that we go the extra mile to help them find the solutions they are looking for.
Pros
Great environment, everyone is so helpful and feels like an extension of your family.
Cons
not enough time for communication unless your a manager.
Amazing employee community
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Peabody, MAApril 26, 2016
Working at the Container Store has become my favorite work environment. Even when I am having a bad day, when I arrive at work I am always in a good mood.

4.2