The Container Store Employee Reviews

Friendly work environment
Visual Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 15, 2017
-9 hour days, 8 work and one hour for lunch if your are full time.
-If you are part time expect 5-15 hours a week for some weeks.
-If you are trained in more things you will get more hours as a part timer
-you have to be very adaptable and fast paced. you will be pulled in many directions. Their mantra is 1=3, 1 great person equal 3 good people... well it's more like 1=5.
-People are friendly, it's not catty like other retail work environments.
-You must know there is not "real" HR
-Benefits are good
-Pay raises can be ok...depending
great products
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILJuly 13, 2017
Great products, Great guests, hard working teams. Very physically demanding job. Latest technology available. Focus on training. Culture is a bit over rated. High end guest.
Pros
Great products
Cons
uncertain future
Part-time associate-Beachwood, OH
Part Time Employee (Current Employee) –  Beachwood, OH 44122July 12, 2017
Dont drink the kool-aid, this is not a nice or fair place to work. Not sure how they have been rated one of the best companies to work for 17 years in a row.
The Container Store
Inventory Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 10, 2017
The company continues to change and grow, but is leaving its core values by the waste side.
They always talked about an Employee first culture that now has become an investor first culture.
Pros
good full time pay
Employee first culture
Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXJuly 1, 2017
An amazing company! I started in the stores and transferred into distribution. The company has always maintained an "employee first culture"...until the layoff.
Pros
Gumby Cafe
Cons
Public company with pressure from stockholders
Great corporate philosophy
Retail sales (Current Employee) –  Hallandale Beach, FLJune 28, 2017
Working here is mostly very rewarding. Most employees are qualified, friendly and competent. The management cares about the employees, and even part-time workers are offered benefits. Flexible scheduling is also a plus.
The Container Store
Customer Service/ Visual Sales Department (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 26, 2017
It's been over a decade since I've worked for The Container Store, so I couldn't really speak to what the culture is like there now.
The people I worked with seemed generally happy- but it is retail.
Good people work there
Middle Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 23, 2017
TCS hired talented people that you can learn a lot from. The best part of TCS were the friends I made throughout my employment. Going public was the hardest part of the job as such a great culture shifted when they had to answer to the board and stockholders.
Great Energy/Atmosphere/People
Merchandise Processing/Register Sales Person (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, COJune 22, 2017
This company is so awesome to work for. They pay their employees over minimum wage; so by taking care of the employee first, the employee will take care of the customer. This has been the best atmosphere I have experienced in all of my working years. If you like organization and cleanliness then you will be with like minded people; we all think the same, to organize and create stress free/time saving solution.
Pros
Great atmosphere/people
Cons
Not enough hours
Overall
Sales and Merchandising Associate (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYJune 21, 2017
One of the best retailers to work for as indicated by industrial reviewers and employees. The retail culture of inclusiveness and openness is unlike any other professional experience that I have had.
Was a great place to work until they went Public.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 20, 2017
Tremendous learning opportunities, flexible work schedules, awesome team to work with. Once they went Public it was a downward spiral. People began to leave and not get replaced. Schedules became tighter, less flexible, advancement/promotions stopped. Situation became even worse when executive management changed hands. Company was on a pay freeze last 2 years to save money to build new stores. Focus used to be on the employee - happy employees make for happy customers. Focus has become the share holders and the bottom line. So many gimmicks (e.g., POP! program) have been introduced to get customers in the stores to make more money. Change can be a good thing, if done properly.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Pressure to increase sales
Sales (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 17, 2017
The people are great! Coworkers and most customers. The culture has changed since going public, with many more demands, but still a good place to work.
Horrible boss and the company doesn't respond when you reach out
SALES ASSOCIATE/ VISUAL SALES (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 8, 2017
I had an incident where our boss at the Little Rock store was absolutely horrible. She placed her hand in my face on more than one occasion and the snapped her fingers at me like I was a dog. She then would threaten you with your position all the time. After 30 something employees left in the spans of 3 months including 2 managers that had been there since the beginning, I thought the company would catch on. I've sent letters off the HQ and haven't received a response along with everyone who has sent a letter. Do not work here unless you want to be belittled and treated like the ground.
Pros
None.
Cons
Manger, no company care, have to suck up to get hours
Former great company quickly loosing its foundation principles.
Visual Sales Full Time Leader (Former Employee) –  UtahJune 2, 2017
The Container store was a great company to join.......10 years ago. Going public has eroded many of the attributes that made this place stand out. You are asked to push more and more different services/products on the customer.
Pros
Good discount, lots of PTO.
Cons
Poor Management, High turnover.
Fun workplace but overall disappointing.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 1, 2017
My expectations for this position did not turn out to be what I was told. The company promised a lot but did not live up to their word. I did however enjoy the positive environment with other employees and the hard work that was asked of the employees.
Amazing company to work for
Prime Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXJune 1, 2017
By far the best place I have ever worked for, I loved the environment and the people. The skills that you learn here you can apply any where. Such a fun place to be.
Do not recommend
Merchandise Specialist/Visual Sales (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAMay 30, 2017
Short staff .. Alot of preassure. Do not provide with good hours. Short breaks. Makes you do way more than what told in the hiring process. Do not care about employees
An employee-first type culture that continues to evolve.
Distribution Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXMay 25, 2017
Typical DC day began with labor planning adjustments where we had full lateral decision making authority. The role included lots of floor time along with many one on one conversations to coach and mentor peers and subordinates. Our management team is relatively new and allmost all the supervisors are very tenured because nearly all have been cultivated from the DC. The most challenging part of this job is the requirement to seek input from all stakeholders. This regularly slows the business and creates an environment where many inexperienced team members' ideas may be given instant merit until the time was taken to fully explain why their perspective needed more facts. The best part of the role was seeing others grow and earn promotions to more responsible positions.
Pros
Many fun events during team huddles
Cons
Company stability
Not the best job.
SALES ASSOCIATE & VISUAL MERCHANDISING (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 15, 2017
It seems like all the managers are about is anyone that works in the Elfa department because thats where most of our sales come from. The managers at the Boca store really don't care about you.
No longer a good place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 25, 2017
This job was very fulfilling because of the company culture, Employees First. If you treat your employees well, then they will treat the customers well. It is has always been true. That culture changed in the past year, and employees are treated horribly by new GM.
Pros
great discount and great co-workers
Cons
management does not follow company guidelines

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Container Store. Our community is ready to answer.