The Container Store

The Container Store Employer Reviews

While in New York
Sales Associate (Former Employee), New York. NYJune 26, 2013
Pros: meeting so many people.
Cons: can be overwhelming at times.
It was a very bright and colorful store. Lots of items. Lots of people. You meet all different types of people from across the world. I loved working there. I also met lots of famous and important people.
Productive and fun work place
Elfa Designer/Visual Sales (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 22, 2013
Wonderful atmosphere, the Container Store is fun and friendly and definitely organized.
Fun and hard working work environment
General Warehouse Employee (Former Employee), Coppell, TXMay 17, 2013
The Container Store is a very well managed company that treat everyone equally. The environment is a very fast paced and hard working one. The typical day would consist of stretching and putting out the plan of the day, then we would get our assignments and go to work. I would be assigned to various warehouse equipment such as a stock picker, reach – more... truck, or a rider. I would then go and pick up skids from the docks and put them in their location in the warehouse, or move items from one part of the warehouse to another location to help with inventory. – less
Mixed bag
Material Handler (Current Employee), Coppell TXMay 14, 2013
Pros: stable, never cut hours. flexible, especially with part timers.
Cons: raises based off personal friendships not business related performance.
Stable and flexible, overtime is usually available, however management plays favorites and raises are solely based on politics not on work ethics.
a great place to work
Transition Team Member (seasonal) (Former Employee), Natick, MAApril 8, 2013
Always doing something new.
managment was on the floor working with you and great to work with.
co-workers were all great and got along.
crazy hours durning holidays.
the greatest part was the work
I love working there
Visual Sales (Current Employee), Chestnut Hill, MAMarch 29, 2013
Pros: fun to work here. great hiring process, good training program
Cons: can be a little clique-y at first, but that is the exception not the norm and as time passes it fades as people get to know you.
This is my first gig in retail/part time. I look forward to going to work and enjoy the first-rate crew of people I work with. The hiring is selective and they train us so we can succeed and/or have a good time helping customers. If you show some drive and client focused savvy, the company will continue to develop you and give you more responsibility – more... or chance to advance. And to boot, I love the products. There are roughly 65 part time employees at the store I work at, and I can say I know probably 60 by name (the others may work times I don't) and like 99% of them. – less
Great people and place to work. Happy and fun environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Broomfield, COMarch 11, 2013
Pros: great employee benefit, better quality products
Cons: not enough room for advancement or promotion.
Working part time at the Container Store, allows me to use skills from all aspects in my training and experiences to excel at any task given to me. It allows individuals to use their skills, talents and thoughts to be expressed and utilized to its best capability.
A Great Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Walnut Creek, CAFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: compensation
This is a great company to work for. There have been many changes recently but the overall culture is one of family.
Retail
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Newton, MAFebruary 1, 2013
Pros: great employees, great environment
Cons: short breaks, no health benefits
This company employs excellent team members therefore marketing supiorior customer service to their customer base.
The best retail job out there
Visual Sales member (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 1, 2013
Pros: amazing co-worker
I have work in different retail environments before and I can honestly say that working for the Container Store is almost a dream come true.
#16 on Forbes Best Places to Work
Retail Sales Associate/Professional Organizer (Current Employee), Garden City, NYFebruary 1, 2013
Pros: generous employee discount; flexible scheduling;great work environment, made to feel appreciated and skills are valued.
Cons: standing on your feet for long periods of time, but that's retail!
This is by far, the happiest place I have ever worked. From the moment I walk in the door I feel a positive & productive energy. My work day zooms by as I assist customers with organizing dilemas, designing our fabulous space solutions, ELFA, and helping colleagues with sales presentations.
I have learned that I am willing to be part of the solution – more... and the team whether it means cleaning the bathroom or designing a $3000 elfa solution. Nothing is beneath ANY Container Store team member as evidenced by our fearless North East Regional Director who does anything and everything to make The Container Store the fabulous place it is to work for. ..including cleaning the bathroom which I have personally witnessed!!
Management allows us the freedom to assist guests (customers) in any part of the store regardless of where you are assigned. They are flexible regarding changes in availability which has greatly helped in my pursuit of my graduate degree. We are given the trust, training and confidence to excel.
For me, the most difficult part of the job is the physical ability needed to move merchandise around or get it off a shelf in the stock room. However, I have the physical help of team members who frequently assist me. I just have to ask!
The constant interaction with guests who trust my opinion in helping them with their search for products or space saving solutions is the most enjoyable part of my job at The Container Store. A VERY close second is the great people I have met and have an opportunity to work with. – less
Productive place with a positive mentality
Sales Associate/Visual Merchandising (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 27, 2013
Pros: frequent and open communication
Of all the retail establishments I've worked at, The Container Store has provided the most positive experience for me as an employee. Rather than a typical Point A To Point B retail practice, the process here is concentrated on a solution-based approach that completes customers' needs from all angles. The best part of my day there is digging into an – more... organization project alongside a customer, getting into a genuine discussion about their habits and preferences, and hooking them up with the best solution I can. My co-workers and I constantly have people tell us that we've made their day, whether it's by showing them a simple fix for an annoying problem or helping them take on a daunting task like moving or redesigning a closet. It's the most rewarding place I've ever worked. – less
NOT SO ORGANIZED, NOT SO GREAT!
Part time sales associate (Prime Time) (Current Employee), The Woodlands, TexasJanuary 16, 2013
Pros: employee discount
Cons: negative atmosphere, favoritism, cliques, and no lunch breaks.
If you want to work at The Container Store be ready to experience a retail job that requires more of you than what your being compensated for. Cliques within management and full time sales staff. Change of hours without any notice. EXTREME FAVORITISM towards special indiviuals. Medical benefits for part time employees are not worth the lengthy enrollment – more... process. If you have to work the merchandising shift prepare to endure physical exhaustion as a full time employee runs around you insisting to move faster, FASTER. You will have to clean the bathrooms and floors if you work a closing shift. If your scheduled only closing shifts, consider yourself being reprimanded politely. Be prepaired to work a 6-7 hour shift without a break. The company talks so highly of your training as they make you fill out tedious SCAVANGER HUNT sheets or silly fill in the blank and multiple choice questioners. Then they tell you.... your now trained on that product. Highly aggressive sales!!!!!

I have worked many years in retail and this postion is not one that I can speak highly of. For a company to state that they are the LEADERS of ORGANIZATION is simply untrue.

Save yourself the time and the headache of the 3-4 interview process and find a real company to work with, as a real team member! – less
A very fun and productive workplace. Great Environment
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 13, 2012
I loved working for this company. The environment was great and I learned how to work under pressure. Management were very helpful and the co-workers were awesome. Best part of the job was overtime when we had to switch the store around. Hardest part of the job was restocking everything back to its original area.
fun and productive!! great for P/T
Fufillment/Logistics (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 4, 2012
good part time job. Wages are good, the people that work there are awesome!
Great company, culture and team environment
Sales Manager/Trainer/Sales (Former Employee), North ParkNovember 10, 2012
Everyday was different. It was a great company to work for . I held many positions in three different store locations. They want to have the right people in the right position and cross train you. Leadership is very important to the core values.

The most important thing I learned from my experience was how to solve the customers needs and provide great – more... customer service. It felt like family I was paid fair and utilize my experiences I took way each and every day. – less
Elfa Designer
Elfa Designer/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Nashville, TNNovember 6, 2012
Pros: training, atmosphere, values, product line
Cons: working weekends
Great retail experience, wonderful company values, great atmosphere and co-workers. Product I can stand behind. A lot of opportunity for advancement and promotion through training.
Productive and fun place to work at
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Miami, FLOctober 8, 2012
Pros: store discount
Cons: short breaks to no breaks
a typical day at work would be assisting customers or backing up at the register. The hardest part of my job is standing for a minimun of 5 hr without a break because most of the time we have no one to back us up. My most ejoyable part of my job is assisting customer. I have to say for the most my co-workers are fun and always ready to help, we all – more... really work as a team. – less
Great culture!
Distribution Supervisor (Current Employee), Coppell, TXSeptember 29, 2012
Fantastic culture. Very laid-back and flexible. Retail hours, and retail schedule, even in the distribution center. Below average wages, but environment bridges the gap. Lot of focus on relationships and teamwork.
Very dedicated company
Customer Service Lead/Fulfillment (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 23, 2012
Pros: fun environment
Cons: hours
They have a very nice employee first culture the only thing is some stores need to get back to basics.

About The Container Store

The Container Store is an innovative company that sells more than 10,000 unique storage and organization solutions. We are employee-first – Read more