The Dallas Morning News Employee Reviews

Interesting, dynamic, fun, solid company, good all around
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 16, 2017
-Prospecting, setting up appointments, preparing quotes and presentations, following up and servicing calls, meetings with customers, working with several different departments to develop and create best possible product for the customer.
-Learned to better manage time, set priorities, stay in close contact with customer, competition and all my colleagues in the company.
-Middle management gave good direction, a bit confusing at times. Upper management was outstanding and ready to help.
-Enjoyed the culture and systems applied to this corporation. "Open-door policy", everybody pulled together to get right results. A relaxed and harmonious atmosphere that let you create and improve yourself.
-Was hard to convince management to do business with certain accounts. Timelines were too inflexible.
-Freedom to do your job as long as goals were met. Working with real professionals, some with a high intellectual level, and producing a high-quality product that readers and customers much enjoyed .
Pros
No micro management Good support, respect, fine compensation and perks.
Cons
Industry changing rapidly. People were let go.
Great co-workers, talented, supportive and determined to do great work in a tough time for newspapers.
Senior Copy Editor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX 75205March 8, 2017
A fun, productive and talented group of people to work with. Very professional, with high standards and support in a tough business environment for daily newspapers.
Boring
Circulation Sales & Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 6, 2017
Most boring job in a dying industry. Working on the business side of a publication is hard and unrewarding. I would not recommend working here.
Fun and exciting
Mailer (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXAugust 18, 2016
When I first arrived to America from India it was difficult to find a job but then Dallas Morning News accepted me.First job I got was here. It was an amazing experience and want to do it again.
Lots of opportunity to learn
Technical Manager of Database Administraion (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 9, 2016
While with the Dallas Morning News I was provided lots of opportunity to learn and leverage new technology. The company was not making the sort of money it was used to making when I was there... it was trying to figure out how to compete in a digital age. Leadership was willing to try new things and invest in its people - at times they were not able to do what they wanted as a result of being cash poor but I am not sure that was management's issue.
Pros
Growth, Learning, new technology
Cons
Low comp, small budgets
Interesting Place
Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 9, 2016
Interesting place to work and you're able to learn a lot about various forms of media. However, they are lacking consistency and stability at the moment. The skill-set of management is poor which often means teams are struggling to succeed. Hard work seems to go ignored while brown nosing and manipulation is rewarded. These types of issues are causing talented people to seek employment elsewhere.
Pros
Good work life balance.
Cons
Poorly skilled managers, no diversity, unclear direction of company, no room for growth.
not a good place to work
Client Development Liaison (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 19, 2016
I have never worked at a more mismanaged place in my life and I was thankful that when my contract ran out. They are never satisfied with your performance.
Good Company
Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMarch 30, 2016
It was a good company to work for. There were good benifits. And good opportunities to learn. In the last 5-10 years it has fallen victim
to the same as other companys have. Technology. So they has been alot of personel layed off. Alot of benefits have gone away. Insurance more and more expensive. Like other companies. It was always a good day when no one made any mistakes. Because so many people worked on the different proceeses. Communication was very necessary. I am glad I had the pleasure of working there for so many years.
Pros
Good Company
Cons
Technogy puttig circulation down
Productive work day
journeyman press operator (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMarch 4, 2016
A typical day at work being on time at five in the morning and ready to start on time. The first thing is looking over the layout work sheet of what need to be done on the press and how many different runs need to be done that day.
loved everyday
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 1, 2016
This job worked out well with me. there's not enough that I could say about the job. And the people I work with are helping people.
Success Driven Performance To Increase Revenue
Marketing & Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 18, 2016
Manage, Train, Coach, Develop, Mentor Sales Executives.
Field Coaching, meeting with New and Existing Clients.
Top Level Management has high turn-over due to decreasing
print revenues and margins on digital low.
Management Co Workers phenomenal.
Hardest part is successfully achieving goals of 120+ products.
Most enjoyable is the reward of exceeding goals, recognition,
awards, lucrative bonuses on a personal and team level.
Pros
Recognition and Awards
Cons
Better Training
Lying and Dishonesty from the top down
Circulation worker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 2, 2016
Was a great company years ago when management still had integrity. But as with most dying Companies , the smart people
left years ago and the only ones remaining are lying, cheating
rats who are taking as much from the everyday common worker as possible. Don't even think about trusting these people with your future, you will be stabbed in the back every time. The dozens and dozens of people I have known over the years who were screwed
by this management is astounding. Move on to the future and forget this horse and buggy business. I did.
Nothing to add
Photo Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX.January 27, 2016
Left in a buyout after 20 years. No opportunities to advance. No raises or bonuses since 2007. Management waffling on which direction to take the company in the future. That says it all.
Great place to work that comes with a little stress
Client Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 8, 2015
The Dallas Morning News was a very stressful place to work as you have to meet deadlines and quotas. I learned a lot working there about the Digital Marketing industry which is a great place to be right now. Management was good overall. With several managers you get different personalities, but most were all fair and friendly. Hardest part of the job was making sure everyone knew policies. We had so many sales reps come and go, and new people coming on board that our training process was not good. I enjoyed working with our clients and hearing the success stories that we provided to there business with our campaigns.
Pros
Great pay, room to grow, good people
Cons
Bad healthcare, need to be more modern and fun, update facility.
not good
mechanic 3 (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 14, 2015
If your not a pressmen your not going to last long. Pressmen run the show!! Maintenance is just a word there now. When I starred there maintenance was a good place to be in. Not now!!!! Pressmen took over....
Pros
no pros.
Cons
never know what is going to happen.
Category Account Sales Manager
Category Account Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 5, 2015
• Increased advertising by 53% while building new accounts to develop strong relationships through selling a wide spectrum of products including print, online, and local advertising.
• Achieved 120% of sales quota over fifteen consecutive months.
• Promoted to Sales Account Manager in 2002.
• President’s Club Award recipient for achievement in the top 5% of overall sales in 2001.
• Generated sales growth of 66% in new North Texas territory in 2001.
Blogger
Blogger (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 12, 2015
I am a blogger for the Richardson Insiders blog on Dallas Morning News and I have enjoyed working with my boss. The ethics of journalism still hold strong and it is wonderful to be able to share some of UTD's achievements with the community around.
Fast paced
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 13, 2015
We made out-bound local newspaper sales all across the United States. The more I sales I made the more com. I made. At that time I was the youngest of my co-workers so they loved me and I loved them as well . The hardest part of my job was to get my customers to buy the Daily newspaper verses to Times newspaper. The Management I adored.
Pros
We were able to get paid hoildays
Cons
Low pay com. most of your pay
An amazing place
Photo / Video Intern (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 24, 2015
The Dallas Morning News proves that newspapers are still alive. The company provides a necessary voice for the residents of North Texas and the United States.

Journalism is still alive and well
great place to work
Marketing Secretary (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 16, 2015
i would still be working at this company. but corporate (Belo) closed.
i then moved to Plano to be closer to my mother.

the company was family owned so everyone was treated like family.
great benefits, would have been a great place to retire from.

i learned branding.
Pros
great people, fun, lenient
Cons
company closed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Dallas Morning News. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7