The Dallas Morning News Employee Reviews in United States

Nothing to add
Photo Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX.January 27, 2016
Left in a buyout after 20 years. No opportunities to advance. No raises or bonuses since 2007. Management waffling on which direction to take the company in the future. That says it all.
Good Company
Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMarch 30, 2016
It was a good company to work for. There were good benifits. And good opportunities to learn. In the last 5-10 years it has fallen victim
to the same as other companys have. Technology. So they has been alot of personel layed off. Alot of benefits have gone away. Insurance more and more expensive. Like other companies. It was always a good day when no one made any mistakes. Because so many people worked on the different proceeses. Communication was very necessary. I am glad I had the pleasure of working there for so many years.
Pros
Good Company
Cons
Technogy puttig circulation down
Success Driven Performance To Increase Revenue
Marketing & Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 18, 2016
Manage, Train, Coach, Develop, Mentor Sales Executives.
Field Coaching, meeting with New and Existing Clients.
Top Level Management has high turn-over due to decreasing
print revenues and margins on digital low.
Management Co Workers phenomenal.
Hardest part is successfully achieving goals of 120+ products.
Most enjoyable is the reward of exceeding goals, recognition,
awards, lucrative bonuses on a personal and team level.
Pros
Recognition and Awards
Cons
Better Training
Lying and Dishonesty from the top down
Circulation worker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 2, 2016
Was a great company years ago when management still had integrity. But as with most dying Companies , the smart people
left years ago and the only ones remaining are lying, cheating
rats who are taking as much from the everyday common worker as possible. Don't even think about trusting these people with your future, you will be stabbed in the back every time. The dozens and dozens of people I have known over the years who were screwed
by this management is astounding. Move on to the future and forget this horse and buggy business. I did.
Cons
Great place to work that comes with a little stress
Client Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 8, 2015
The Dallas Morning News was a very stressful place to work as you have to meet deadlines and quotas. I learned a lot working there about the Digital Marketing industry which is a great place to be right now. Management was good overall. With several managers you get different personalities, but most were all fair and friendly. Hardest part of the job was making sure everyone knew policies. We had so many sales reps come and go, and new people coming on board that our training process was not good. I enjoyed working with our clients and hearing the success stories that we provided to there business with our campaigns.
Pros
Great pay, room to grow, good people
Cons
Bad healthcare, need to be more modern and fun, update facility.
not a good place to work
Client Development Liaison (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 19, 2016
I have never worked at a more mismanaged place in my life and I was thankful that when my contract ran out. They are never satisfied with your performance.
loved everyday
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 1, 2016
This job worked out well with me. there's not enough that I could say about the job. And the people I work with are helping people.
Nearly-extinct dinosaur in a dying industry
Editor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 28, 2014
A year without massive company-wide layoffs is considered a stunning success. Those who do keep their jobs are very catty and more likely to play politics than produce something of value. Wide abyss between upper management and everyone else. Coasting on a handful of Pulitzer prizes it won over a decade ago.
Pros
still has a respectable name locally.
Cons
benefits get worse every year. no chance for a raise: keeping your job is the only raise you'll get.
Great company
Senior Director, Marketing-Brand Engagement (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 19, 2014
The Dallas Morning News is a great company to work for. Work/Life balance is good, benefits are competitive, co-workers are collaborative, management is fair, the work is manageable and the hardest part of the job is getting consumers to understand the importance of journalism in a free society.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
business is contracting
Category Account Sales Manager
Category Account Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 5, 2015
• Increased advertising by 53% while building new accounts to develop strong relationships through selling a wide spectrum of products including print, online, and local advertising.
• Achieved 120% of sales quota over fifteen consecutive months.
• Promoted to Sales Account Manager in 2002.
• President’s Club Award recipient for achievement in the top 5% of overall sales in 2001.
• Generated sales growth of 66% in new North Texas territory in 2001.
Fast paced
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 13, 2015
We made out-bound local newspaper sales all across the United States. The more I sales I made the more com. I made. At that time I was the youngest of my co-workers so they loved me and I loved them as well . The hardest part of my job was to get my customers to buy the Daily newspaper verses to Times newspaper. The Management I adored.
Pros
We were able to get paid hoildays
Cons
Low pay com. most of your pay
Great for part-time with supplimental income.
Paper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Carrollton, TXAugust 6, 2012
Typical day is walking in to roll all papers for your route(s) and then drive sed route and deliver papers door to door. Doing this I learned the in's and out's of many residental areas. The management there does the best they can with what they got, and they make sure to fit appropriate routes for those who may travel further then others, which I must say is a nice consideration seeing as gas is expensive and the job is all driving. The hardest part of the job is the graveyard hours and big days like Sunday and having to roll, bag and fit large in size and amount of papers into one's car and deliver on time. As well as working 7 days a week which over time has it's toll on the body. My favorite part was that my day was free and there was no dress code, appearance restriction and no micro-mangement. As long as you got the job done, all was fine. And I highly appreciate being myself without restriction.
Pros
no dress code or appearance restriction
Cons
no benefits, no days off.
Non-communication/no sufficient job training
Media Sales & Marketing (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 16, 2015
Employee/management very non-communicative and the training was very inadequate.
Pros
location is very accessible
Cons
healthcare benefits are not good
not good
mechanic 3 (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 14, 2015
If your not a pressmen your not going to last long. Pressmen run the show!! Maintenance is just a word there now. When I starred there maintenance was a good place to be in. Not now!!!! Pressmen took over....
Pros
no pros.
Cons
never know what is going to happen.
unreasonable expectations and no pay
NewsPaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXDecember 16, 2014
Unreasonable hours, almost no pay, no benefits or advancement whatsoever, no breaks, no vacations, no sick days or else pay gets docked
great place to work
Marketing Secretary (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 16, 2015
i would still be working at this company. but corporate (Belo) closed.
i then moved to Plano to be closer to my mother.

the company was family owned so everyone was treated like family.
great benefits, would have been a great place to retire from.

i learned branding.
Pros
great people, fun, lenient
Cons
company closed
The Dallas Morning News
PROGRAMMMER/ANALYST - Documents and Design (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 9, 2014
Drove development of concept and design of solution to manage inventory of newspaper advertising inserts at the newspaper’s warehouse. Determined need and delivered presentation to management that provided cost analysis of the new program—created documentation to ensure that project scope was maintained.
Resolved issue of lost time and limited storage through creation of new inventory program that monitored advertising inserts.
Not a fun place to work
Credit & Commercial collections (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 31, 2013
The diversity is there but the upper management team is the worst. There's no room for advancement & they do discriminate against various employees. The upper managers that you think would been for you are actually the ones that are against you. Constant layoffs!

Not a fun place to work, glad I'm gone!
Pros
paycheck
Cons
too many to list.
Productive and creative atmosphere
Illustration Director (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 15, 2012
• Typical day was filled with challenges to create solutions for editorial content and directing staff to meet deadlines.
• I learned very much about the art of management in corporate world, directing a diverse team of creative people.
• Management in the newspaper industry is very effective in their own areas. Every day meetings produced great results.
• My co-workers were the best in the field. I mentored many of them, including people who came from other countries and freelancers.
• The hardest part of my job was realizing that the newspaper industry was shrinking very rapidly and realizing that positions were being eliminated.
• The most enjoyable part of my job was personally contributing heavily to the flow of illustration, design and overall solutions.
Pros
in my position i was able to produce more by tele-commuting in some days of the week.
Cons
the newspaper industry was shrinking and jobs were being lost.
Blogger
Blogger (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 12, 2015
I am a blogger for the Richardson Insiders blog on Dallas Morning News and I have enjoyed working with my boss. The ethics of journalism still hold strong and it is wonderful to be able to share some of UTD's achievements with the community around.