The David J. Joseph Company Employee Reviews

Admin
Brokerage Accountant Representative (Former Employee), Charleston, SCMarch 17, 2015
Don't believe what you read. The Charleston office is the most back stabbing place I have ever work. The new management is horrible. They even monitor your bathroom breaks. Use to be a wonderful place to work. The Upper management are a bunch of fakes. Don't trust them.
Production, Cincinnati Ohio
production (Former Employee), Cincinnati OhioDecember 30, 2014
Pros: occasionally bonuses, free gas
Cons: no advancement, unfair work practices.
Job started out good, then they increased their hiring pay and it took them 3 months to bump my pay up to what new hires made. Beware that they will hire new people that will make more than you if you have been there for months or years. The safety coordinator is a stickler and will halt all production. Bonuses were alright, but the company does favoritism. I would only recommend this company as a temporary job 6 months to a year. You do however receive free fuel once a week but management abuses this , one manager fills up five or six of his family's cars a week, and will deny you, saying he doesn't have time to fill yours.
fast paced work
Bilingual Dispatcher (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHNovember 19, 2014
As a dispatcher, the work was very fast paced, always changing, high stress. Enjoyed small group environment.
They dont care about you or your family
Kiosk Operator (Current Employee), KansasNovember 18, 2014
Pros: good insurance
Cons: management, hr, harassment and immature co-workers
I'm harassed every morning, because I have a "medical condition" where i suffer from morning sickness and headaches along with stomach pain, due to heavy lifting at work, and I have to miss work sometimes. Manager just tells me to "hang in there, it will get better". I call HR and talk to the woman who deals with fmla and she is one of the most narcissistic people I know besides my manager.When it comes to your family, don't expect to have any time with them because you will work mon-sat every week!! Oh and don't let them fool you, Kiosk operator is also a laborer!! Must be able to lift 50+ lbs continuously for a 8.5 hrs day and deal with extreme hot or cold weather.
Harassment,No customer relations Brevard County
Worker (Former Employee), Brevard CountyAugust 6, 2014
Pros: decent safety procedures
Cons: lack of knowledge. not about customer. managers inexperience.
Harassment at its finest.Was told our 30 minute lunch breaks were mandatory yet lack of man power or help you would not get the time off.
"Its about the customer"management told me then proceeded to dock me 30minutes everyday for a lunchbreak I never got.Most of the managers I came across had no aspects of the scrap industry. Only book and college knowledge which hurt the company two fold.Examples:Unfortunately, lightning affects everyone and because of safety we had a day a storm hit the company with severe lightning. Our protocol is to take cover and ask customers to stay in their vehicles.On this day, the storm hit at 2:45pm and lasted until 4:45pm, our dedicated customers waited in line 2 hours most of those with no a/c in their vehicles on a 94 degree day.After the lighting detector allowed the company to re-open only then a supervisor was told to go out and tell the customers,"Were closed for today, we reopen at 7:45am".Thats right, they sent home over 20 vehicles and tractor trailers away.Thats right, sent away.Would you go back?Not a customer oriented company which relies on scrap brought in.
want a job here?
kiosk (Former Employee), paducah, kyJune 14, 2014
Pros: pleasant coworkers
Cons: class based discrimination
I passed everything, except credit. Thanks to my sons (deceased) medical bills, my credit wasnt good enough to work here at 11.00/hr. This is an obvious indicator of the companies philosophy. Apply at your own risk, and reap what you sow.
good place to work
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMay 29, 2014
Good job. Received intercompany payments and applied payments to open invoices. Received customer payments and applied to open invoices. Did supplier set up for all DJJ LLC's approved purchase contracts for all DJJ LLC's.
Decent job out of college. Limited long term potential.
Brokerage Representative (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHMay 15, 2014
Decent job out of college. Limited long term potential. Overall compensation is heavily based on a subjective annual bonus. Base salaries are lack luster and the annual bonus flows with the markets and management's opinions not the employee's job performance.
Even if I was offered a huge amount of money. I would not want to work here again.
Scale Operator/Accounts Payable (Former Employee), SLC, UTApril 24, 2014
Pros: i was able to work with friends which made the days short and improved the team work, medical benefits were fair - good.
Cons: see review.
Cons - No breaks or lunches- Working 9 + hours a day on my feet. I ate lunch standing up between customers. I brought this up to management and they helped for a day or two but then we were told they were too busy to offer breaks. However, exceptions were made for one employee when she was working in the scale house all day.
Did not feel valued - The management did not seem to care how I was treated by the customers. On more than one occasion I was sexually harassed and verbally abused. This even happened in front of my supervisor and he did nothing. When brought up by my coworkers or myself to management they replied that it was nothing and we were bringing it upon ourselves by the way we dressed or acted with them.
Poor Leadership - Talked down to by management on more than one occasion and verbally abused by management depending on the day. There were different rules depending on who was the manager dealing with the situation. One manager would establish a procedure and then another manager asked us why we were doing it that way and told us to stop. No accountability and no stability. I didn’t know how to do my job each day because it changed repeatedly.
Discrimination - I worked with several different nationalities. Sad to say we were not all treated the same. I was held to a higher standard. If I made a mistake I was written up. On more than one occasion a coworker of a different nationality made the same mistake and it was brushed off. When brought up to HR and management, we were simply told it was a cultural difference but that only went one way because we were not of – more... the minority nationality. The other nationalities were not expected to read and write English but we were expected to be able to communicate with them.
If a coworker or I made a mistake, we had to worry about the management publicly discussing it instead of it being handled between management and the employee. When I told management that it needed to be handled directly with the employee so we knew what we were doing wrong, I was told that would happen. It was never handled or addressed that way.

advice to management -
Saying your door is open means nothing if you do not take the time to actively listen to your employees. I shared my views and experiences on more than one occasion and was told that I needed to "just keep my mouth shut" or "just stick to my job" – less
Excellent Experience
Information Technology (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHMarch 16, 2014
I learned how to solve troubleshoot ticket by SharePoint and add permission for end users. The hardest part of the job is Business Process Automation.
Diversity and fun job
Freight Coordinater/Scheduler (Former Employee), Wayne, PAFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: busy but not overwhelming, diverse, and fun.
Cons: trying to stay focused and not make any mistakes.
My job with TMR was very interesting I did scheduling of trucks and rail cars. I also handle containers which were shipped overseas and did all the paperwork. I also did the accounts payable for the office. My co-workers were wonderful people and it was always fun even when we were extremely busy you could find someone smiling and we did not have to many bad days. Hardest part of the job again if you made an error in judgment for instance releasing a railcar that weighed to much this would cost the company money. Most enjoyable part the diversity and fun of working in that office with the people.
Strong company, limited growth potential
Trader (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 23, 2014
Upward mobility is limited to a select few. Expectation to relocate every three-four years.
was a good job. work was not hard but was a fast pace
Equipment operator (Former Employee), Jackson tnJune 17, 2013
Pros: lot of experence operating equipment .
Cons: . no schedual breaks catch them if you could
I enjoyed working for this company but the employees there at the Jackson Tn sight were very hostile to me. They thought I was hired because I had worked for there supervisor at our last place of employment. They hated him so they hated me. I never knew him before meeting him at David Joseph. After it all came out at ( Town hall meeting ) with the national HR rep I decided to resign because I felt I was never going to get that behind me and I was never going to fit in. I did enjoy the job but not the harasment and all that was going on behind my back. Most of my co workers were ok but there were several that were very rude and hostile. The hardest part of the job was learning the computer system they had for loading the trucks . the reason for that was not enough info given to me to learn. It was like learn on your own because I got stuck with the ones that didn't like me there. Also had to ride in truck with smokers and I have asthma but new if I complaned they would even be more hostile at me. So I suffered through it for 4 weeks and that was to much. This company violated TN state law . That is the right to a smoke free work area. I look back and realise I should have stood my ground and filed complants on the harasment and smoking . When I resigned I told them these reasons but for me it was to late. I hope if anyone applies for a job there all these things have been resolved. Good Luck
Industry