The Desmond Hotel Employee Reviews

nice place to work
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAMay 12, 2017
Good place to work; pay is adequate and the environment is nice. The pace has a nice atmosphere and the guest are all nice. They provide meals and are flexible with time.
Fun place to work.
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAMarch 27, 2017
Always something different happening. Management was pleasant to work for. Work/Life Balance was non-existent if you wanted to make money. Plenty of opportunities to make a lot of money depending on the season.
Pros
Cons
Work/Life balance.
One of my favorite jobs
Director of Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Colonie, NYJanuary 30, 2017
Managed the Purchasing Department and staff. Responsible for overseeing a multi-million dollar budget under serious deadlines. Responsible for all food for the hotel.
Pros
Awesome place to work
Your Future
Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 24, 2017
The Desmond is a good place to work if you are looking for accounting experience as a night auditor. You work more as a junior accounting staff than just about any other place. Working front desk comes with its own setbacks and unappealing parts. Overall the money is good but your going to work for it!
Pros
Hard work turns into high marketability
Cons
Overnight, Dealing with guests
Busy and upbeat atmosphere
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PADecember 19, 2016
A typical day was compromised of arriving approximately an hour before the restaurant opened in order to prep tables and server stations. A usual shift usually consisted of 4-7 other employees, all ranging in age. Management was always available for employee's needs as well as the customers. There was a strong sense of teamwork among employees.
Pros
Free meal with shift
Cons
Healthcare was not great
Interesting place to work
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PASeptember 18, 2015
The environment is a good workplace to do business. People are very kind to each other and get along as a family. Its a very nice place to work.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
N/a
Just a job, not much else.
Front Desk Representative (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAJanuary 4, 2015
Ah, the Desmond Great Valley. A hotel that struggles to provide you the best guest experience possible, and that can be interpreted either way.

Despite an extremely dedicated staff and an award winning dinning menu and banquet facility, The Desmond remains heavily burdened with outdated themes and a problematic infrastructure. The modern traveler, for example, would expect an upscale hotel room to include a refrigerator in every room. Not the case. Compact fridges are in limited quantity and only available upon request, even in an upgraded room. Wi-fi is free but terribly unreliable and insecure. Most guests who rely on uninterrupted internet access discovered they made a terrible and costly assumption. Other than refrigerators and wi-fi, complaints were frequent about faulty shower-heads, poor AC/heat, and NOISE.

The noise most often came from rowdy wedding guests who partied well into the night or from unsupervised children and/or teenagers of traveling sports teams. Staff had very little control over these two major group types, and would readily apologize for the disruption, but the reality is that these two groups provided the most business for the hotel, so it was common to have between 2-6 major wedding/sports groups booked at one time, which led to more noise. The wealthy business traveler, the type of guest the hotel desperately needs, would never return after a restless night of never ending slamming doors and people yelling.

FROM A STAFF PERSPECTIVE:

PROS:
-good place to work if you need hospitality experience

CONS/ red flags:
-many staff
  more... college students or people who didn't live on own or have to pay rent because you can't make a living doing this
-very little training
-upper management and sales reps. pretended not to know you
-work all weekends and holidays unless you're lucky
-overtime rare, "full-time" 36 hours or less
-half of supervisors showed up late to their shift or proved incapable during stressful situations
-your next week's work schedule not available until one week or less before the start of the week. Forget about making plans outside of work.
-workers wearing a suit told to perform outside landscaping work in July?????????????
-in-house departments not getting along well with each
other/poor communication
-management with a never ending "just get it done we'll talk later" approach
-you don't have a job title, you just do what ever you're told
-evening workers who didn't get home until 12:30am expected back to work at 7am, with less than 8 hours notice
-you were weird if you didn't smoke cigarettes
Pros
good hospitality/ problem solving exp.
Cons
Everything else.
Fast Paced Customer Service, Great team of workers, Not my career
Front Office Representative (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PANovember 18, 2013
This has been a great workplace for me and I enjoy working with a great team of employees. This job got me through college and I am very grateful for my experience here. However I am currently unsatisfied with this position because this is not my true career. Now that I have graduated college I am ready to move on to the next level.

This job has opened my eyes into the real world of people and how they expect things to be. Throughout the day I meet many different types of people with a variety of needs. I must be resourceful as possible to be able to meet the needs of every single guest that approaches me at the hotel. I am fortunate to be able to work with a great team of coworkers that are like family to me. We are able to trust each other and rely on other's to carry out the work. The nature of the work is unpredictable because every day is different and every single guests' needs are different so I've learned how to be very flexible and helpful as possible while on this job.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
low pay, unreasonable hours
Not the greatest place I've ever worked.
Banquet Cook (Former Employee) –  Paoli, PAJuly 16, 2013
The only great thing about this place was the money. The starting rate was a little higher than average. Other than that, there's not much positive feed back I can offer. The chefs were very rude. I understand that chefs are typically mean, this one guy took it to an entirely different level. His anger problems and approach towards people are well documented. His temperamental mood swings make for a very hostile and uncomfortable work place. The "Head Chef" is often juvenile and makes of the very same mistakes he chastises the kitchen staff for. The hotel owners son also works there as a manager of sorts. I don't think I need to elaborate any further on his situation. Not to mention that the staff is very clique oriented. I definitely would not recommend working here.

Want to know more about The Desmond Hotel?

Ask a question

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Desmond Hotel. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2