The Dow Chemical Company

The Dow Chemical Company Employer Reviews

OK to work for
Daily maintenance Coordinator Duties (Current Employee), Oyster creekMarch 18, 2015
Pros: write my own check
Cons: over worked
Very busy being the only (WAC) taking care of 4 plants very Under staffed
SAP / Management is good to work for ,,for the most part
co-workers are good to work with.
hardest part of job is having so many jobs going at the same time ,without enough people to do the work.
Good company that cares about employees
Manufacturing & Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Freeport, TXMarch 10, 2015
Demanding work schedule with good projects for co-ops. 4/10 or 9/80 schedule while working operations in the plant. Diverse group of employees.
GREAT workplace culture, but beware politics
Engineer (Former Employee), TXMarch 10, 2015
Pros: Lots of opportunity for those that want it
Cons: The rewards/advancement paths are the same for any Dow employee regardless of actual job experience
Working at Dow you will find yourself faced with many challenging experiences. I liked how Dow will let their employees have freedom to work on what they like, although, the double edged blade to this is that, in my experience, leaders are too strong and management too weak--Dow policy is not to be open and honest with their employees. For example, you may find that the 6 months of 60 hour weeks you've been slaving on various projects might be rewarded with negative performance review without logical explanation for why--besides that other's have given you some improvement feedback via your boss without confronting you directly.

The company saying, "The Human Element" was and is still something I love about Dow; this is a company that loves their people and holds themselves accountable for developing their employees. But like the other facades I have mentioned, there is always a dark side. With Dow, it's more about how you do things than what you actually get completed, and of course the heaviest doses of compensation will go to the guy who doesn't disturb other work groups and is generally liked by employees--regardless of whether he is right, wrong, indifferent, or does anything!

The bottom line is, although the culture is great with this company (especially for the y-gen!) if one would like to consider employment with Dow, my final advice would be to be honest with oneself. Dow is a great company to work for, but only for the select few.
Very profitable high growth company
Environment, Health and Safety Leader (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 8, 2015
You typically put in long hours but are rewarded with above average benefits. Layoffs are rare so stable employment has long been a staple there.
Stuck in the 80s
HR Representative (Current Employee), midland, miMarch 7, 2015
Stable company for over 100 years. Though, management culture is old school. Bad location for offices. Work life balance is poor.
Detailed Lab Technician
SL2 Lab Technician (Current Employee), Midland, MIMarch 3, 2015
Pros: co-workers, analytical technologists
Cons: shift work
A typical day at work consists of multiple products from various facilities needing to be analyzed. We serve a few different business and do all their quality analysis.
I work with a great set of co-workers whom are always there to help one another out.
Good company, need to be more competive
Instrument & Electrical Technician (Current Employee), Deer Park, TXMarch 3, 2015
A good job and good company to work for, but need to be more competive with the going rates in the Houston ship channel area.
Productive and fun workplace. I feel very honored to have had that opportunity.
Pricing Coordinator (Former Employee), Midland, MichiganMarch 3, 2015
I was very fortunate to work for The Dow Chemical Company. They work very well to ensure that new employees receive the proper training and encouragement to be successful in their job. Team leaders were very supportive. I loved my coworkers and looked forward to coming to work each and every day.

A typical day at work was really hectic, but I looked forward to being there. The most enjoyable part of my job was my coworkers and the past-paced environment.

The hardest part of my job didn't occur until the company changed software and operating systems and I was in charge of training team members and new hires how to manage those changes.
Great training
QC (Former Employee), Free Port TXMarch 3, 2015
Willing to train and help when need to let you succeed in this line of work. I have been happy to work there with more skills.
DOCUMENT RETRIEVAL SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Midland, MiMarch 2, 2015
Pros: for doing well at our jobs the boss would take us to movies
Cons: i didn't have a bad experience at dow
I supervised the Document Retrieval are in the Record Center. We would get requests from Accounts Payable or Accounts Receivable scan them and send them to the requestor via e-mail. I learned to supervise and train coops and tried to lead by good work ethics My management was very surprised by the work that I could output and he would increase my responsibilities when Dow Chemical purchased UCC and Rohm and Haus Chemical Companies. My coworkers and I worked as a team
Insane rotating shift schedule
Current position is as a quality lab technician (Current Employee), Midland MichiganMarch 1, 2015
Pros: benefits, performance awards
Cons: shift work, poor management
7 nights in a row (12 hour weekends), then 48 hours to transition and be ready for 7 days in a row, then 5 afternoons.
Management seems disconnected from the realities of shift work.
Good company to start with.
Process Operator (Former Employee), Texas City, TXFebruary 27, 2015
This is a good job for some one that just needs to get the experience. For the most part the plant is stream lined with very little personnel. They like for their operators to change valves, gaskets and other minor repairs to the unit.
political croneism at its best
Marketing Manager (Former Employee), Midland, MIFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: a great spot for egotists
Cons: too many eggheads in power positions. neuveau riche midwesterners, simple minded social misfits.
I worked at Dow in Sales and Marketing for 20 years advancing to the Director level. Many good friends. Develop your mentors and watch your back. The company is a multinational old boys club with more cliques than most Junior High Schools. It's a great place to work if you are an unsophisticated apple polisher. Be ready to do a good job, look good in the shower and kowtow to the local Lord.
Very Good Company Cut throat competition
Senior Project Manager, Operational Readiness (Former Employee), Midland MichiganFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: work hours flexibilty, opportunity to work on new technologies
Cons: too much work, unrealistic deadline
Very demanding company but worth to work for them

Difficult to ge promoted as you age

Always looking for ways to cut costs

Excellent Business Recovery program
A very strong and well established company
Technical Advisor (Former Employee), Freeport, TXFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: just a great carreer for me
Cons: no cans
My time there at Dow was quite full filling with many challenges, opportunities and accomplishments. I learned how to work with any sort of situation, people and a highly integrated chemical industry. Some days and nights were long, yet rewarding. I have worked for, and with many different personalities from management and peers, to all sorts of contract support.

I found the hardest part of my job was not broken equipment, those things can always be resolved. People can present the biggest challenge, yet that too can always be managed.

I feel that the best and most enjoyable part of my job was knowing I had done a good days work, and coming home to my family to enjoy what I had worked for.
Great people to work with.
Run Plant Technician (Current Employee), Freeport, TXFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: no breaks and short lunches.
A typical day at work would be classified as very busy. You learned a lot on how to troubleshoot various pieces of equipment. Management is there at all times to answer any questions you may have. The co-workers are always willing to lend a helping hand when needed. The hardest part about the job is we are severely understaffed. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you are always busy and that helps the day to go by faster.
Dow Chemical
Detailed Production Scheduler (Current Employee), Midland, MIFebruary 21, 2015
I have enjoyed and do enjoy working for Dow. I would prefer to continue working with them, but restructuring is changing that prospect. They were better than most companies with this transition. I would very much like to find work in the same field with a company that is similar in their respect for employees.
good overall place to work or start a career
senior chemical opeerator (Former Employee), Ringwood, ILFebruary 18, 2015
it was a good experience for the 36 years of work met a lot of very nice people there(very professional) and knowledgeable people . made a lot of friends there.
Good people, good pay, long hours, high stress
Process Operator Technician (Current Employee), LouisianaFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: pay, safety supplies
Cons: breaktime, family time, management process
In a typical day at work, it can be fast paced or slow paced and sometimes change between the two almost instantly as you are running a process and sometimes it has a mind of its own. You have to know your job really well, but that at many times is still too stressful to feel your knowledge. The management is good; however, they don't stay in one job long enough to really know what goes in to the everyday of running the plant. Your co-workers become your family because you see them more then your real family most times. The hardest part of the job is the requirement to know a job at its greatest in a short amount of time. No one is a specialist in only a few months time, but that is what is expected. The money is probably the biggest enjoyable part as it pays well, which allows for a somewhat freestyle thought to spending at times.
Hospital Corpsman
Process Operator (Current Employee), Freeport, TXFebruary 14, 2015
Fleet Marine Force Hospital Corpsman. I loved the Navy, being with a Marine unit. Would definitely serve my country again. I learned a lot of valuable medical skills.

1 2 3 4 5

About The Dow Chemical Company

Dow combines the power of science and technology to passionately innovate what is essential to human progress. The Company is – Read more

The Dow Chemical Company Photos