The Dow Chemical Company

The Dow Chemical Company Employer Reviews

Salary and benefits acceptable for locality.
R&D Project Manager (Former Employee), Midland, MIOctober 20, 2014
Pros: work life balance
Cons: poor career security
Flexible toward a beneficial work/life balance and an identifiable safe working culture. Salary and benefits competitive with local industry, but job security seems to be poor.
Excellent work environment
Improvement Engineer (Current Employee), Plaquemine, LAOctober 15, 2014
- A typical day can be busy but the hours go by very fast
- Professional development is continuous
- Leadership is exceptional
- Co-workers are respectful and helpful
- The nature of the work can be difficult
- Positive recognition for accomplishments
Safety oriented company
Site Training/ODMS Coordinator (Current Employee), Findlay, OHOctober 9, 2014
Pros: global company
Cons: global company
Professional environment, good salary, opportunities for advancement and skill developing. Had the privilege of learning several different roles to expand versatility. Worked with some excellent people.
Cutthroat, condescending place with constant scrutiny and internal competition
Chemical Process Engineer (Former Employee), Midland, MIOctober 8, 2014
Pros: high palying with unlimited resourses; large variety of technology
Cons: extremely competitive, arrogant, condescending, with job security only for a few; management dominated
High paying but completely lopsided expectations put on employees. Management believes they are kings. Company thinks they own you when you sign on with them, thus expect 50+ hour work weeks, extreme output (world class as they put it), a complete work focus with contempt given for outside interests, expectation of a Type 'A', alpha-male "leader" personality, – more... with contempt and a condescending attitude bordering on arrogance expressed towards other types. Forced ranking performance system with accelerated promotions given to 'gold' ones; with others being stagnated and eventually forced out. It is an 'up or out' system. No longer a place to work an entire career - just go there for 5 years or less to get the large company experience and then move on. The headquarters, Midland, MI is a rich, conservative, stuffy place completely centered around Dow. Do not go there for life balance, variety, individual expression, or anything else unrelated to Dow. – less
great place to work with a sense of impowerment
sr tech (Current Employee), Findlay, OHOctober 4, 2014
Pros: free coffee-monthly safety meetings to keep focus on safety at work at home or on the road
Cons: boot purchase-health screening-flex account-reimburssment for membership at the y
good work atmosphere a lot of teamwork pulling together to help each other out.
good communication using data entry to relay highlights of shift and relay any problems and solutions which can be captured for future reference.
Not too shabby
co-op (Former Employee), Midland, MIOctober 3, 2014
Pros: pay benefits and work life balance
Cons: very bureaucratic, lots of red tape
boring job not very rewarding but great pay and benefits and advancement opportunity.
Productive laid back place to work
Lead Distribution/Distribution Operator (Former Employee), Freeport, TxSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: oppourtinities for advancement, benefits
Cons: pay, disreguard for safety
Loading and offloading rail cars and tank trucks, some sampling, trouble shooting of equipment. Well managed units, good co-workers, lots of room for advancement in company.
Fortune 500 life
GLOBAL PURCHASING SYSTEMS SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Midland, MISeptember 24, 2014
Great company to work for, esp fresh from college with multiple locations and travel opportunities; participated in cross functional and multi-location teams
Hard work
Chemical Formulator (Former Employee), Ringwood IL.September 23, 2014
Most of the chemical formulations were difficult to make but well explained.
Solid company
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Deer Park, TXSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: stable company with many opportunities within
Cons: part of company is union and part is not. causes some conflict when trying to get work completed
Company provides good pay with benefits. Has a long history in the Chemical industry and diversifies very well. Typical day includes meetings about ongoing work as well as jobsite visits to ensure work is being completed safely and accurately.
Process Operator/Technical Advisor Supervisor (Former Employee), Texas City, TXSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: good wages and interesting people to work with.
Cons: slow advancement, although i was promoted to supervisor.
Worked there for Union Carbide/Dow Chemical for 25 years. Good place to work in the Petro-Chemical business.
Good place to learn, gain expirence, edgucation and career advancement
Production Operator (Former Employee), Lake Jackson, TXSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: good training, and career advancement
Cons: poor benefits
Dow is a great place to work. I worked on shift, learned a lot from vigorious training and from a turnaround at Dow
Productive and fun workplace
Fabrication Technician (Current Employee), New Iberia, LASeptember 9, 2014
best place to work
learn how to operate machines
to work and be productive with others
nothing hard about work
i enjoy working with machines
Document Management Coordinator (Current Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 7, 2014
Great place to work. Hard working group of people and team players. Feel privileged to work here.
Good company to work for, good compensation.
Fleet and Contract Administrator (Former Employee), Seadrift, TXSeptember 7, 2014
Workdays are busy, expectations are high but good compensation.
very productive place to work the best employees to work with
Production Data Analyst (Current Employee), Alameda, CASeptember 5, 2014
Work in different departments threw the time I worked in Dow, one of the best environment place to work for and the best people to work with always something to learn, overall one of the best places I worked.
A good place for a career
Distribution Operator (Current Employee), Freeport, TexasSeptember 2, 2014
I love my job. Easy work for excellent pay and great benefits. Management treats you like an adult.
I GOT LAID-OFF AND WAS SHOCKED AT WHAT HAD HAPPEN.
Material Handler (Former Employee), Freeport, TXSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: enjoyed working with others.
Cons: i had no 401k or retirement.
I REALLY ENJOYED WORKING WITH THE PEOPLE AT DOW B401.ALWAYS HAD FUN PLAYING DOMINO'S AT LUNCH.A VERY GOOD PLACE TO WORK.I WILL MISS THE FRIENDS I MADE WHILE WORKING THERE.SOME DAYS WERE BUSY AND SOME DAYS WERE ALMOST TOO MUCH TO HANDLE.THE HARDEST THING WAS WORKING BY MYSELF ON FRIDAYS WHEN MY CO-WORKER WAS OFF.
Great place to work with great people.
Developer / Analyst (Current Employee), Charleston, WVAugust 30, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule, creative freedom, good benefits, good pay, great people.
Cons: career / skill development could be a little better.
Typical Day:
* Meet with clients, end users, and stake holders to flesh out design and testing plans for new software or software updates.
* Write and test code as well as document project progress.
* Rollout software, train users, support existing products.

What I've learned:
* Self and team management
* All stages of software development

Management:
I – more... manage myself and I'm completely responsible for making sure that projects are functionally on target and delivered on time.

Hardest part of my job:
I've managed to build a great reputation as someone who can deliver robust solutions that go above and beyond expectations. This means that more and more people seek me out to help with their particular needs. At times I am unable to immediately take on all requests and that's always a little difficult for me. I would like to take on everything that comes my way as soon as I'm asked.

Most enjoyable part of my job:
By far the most enjoyable part of my job is when a user or owner contacts me just to tell me how helpful my applications are. – less
Fun place to work, and get the job done
DSG Services (Former Employee), Hebron, OHAugust 29, 2014
Pros: employees
Cons: open 365 days a year, but thats ok
My Review is Why can't every place be like this, no stress, pay was great, we all knew what our job was and we would get it done, and we were allowed to chat a little and still get it done

1 2 3 4 5

About The Dow Chemical Company

Dow combines the power of science and technology to passionately innovate what is essential to human progress. The Company is – Read more

The Dow Chemical Company Photos