The Dow Chemical Company

The Dow Chemical Company Employee Reviews

Ok but not great
Lab Intern/ Co-op/Operator (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Cool people
Cons: Training is too rigorous
Depending where you live this may be the place for you. For me it was a struggle going over the bridge every day. The training dept. was the only thing I didn't care for. You basically had to learn everything on your own and then were brutally questioned on the information. Was told if I didn't pass I would loose some money.
A great company that creates a diversity and safety oriented culture.
Senior Analytical Technologist (Current Employee), Freeport, TXJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Diversity, inclusion, and safety.
Cons: CEO and Corporate Level Leadership
First level management and coworkers typically are professional and personable with little ego between them and good science. Dow fosters a learning environment both in safety and in cross-discipline training.

The most difficult part of the job is trying to understand the direction the CEO is taking the company and how it impacts one's job security.
Constant change
Activity Coordinator / Maintenance Gatekeeper (Former Employee), Freeport TexasJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Several locations
Cons: Huge company no personal feelings
Very good company to work for however it's growing so fast I feel many of tools necessary to have complete synergy are not in place.
Poor managers, refused to pay for required overtime
Tooling Designer and Engineer Core R&D (Former Employee), Midland, MIJune 30, 2015
Cons: No breaks, managers demanded OT be worked for free.
I worked in Core R&D and was responsible for Tooling Design since I have 30 years of experience, 3 years at Dow Chemical.

Very poor management to the point they are extremely inept and demonstrated no skill set. Basically none of Dow's managers could read tolerances or drawings despite being Mechanical Engineers. On several occasions I was overloaded with work while several others sat with no work – more... for month and a few for years.. My manager Peter S. demanded that I work 20+ hours per week of over time, which I was later told that Dow would not pay me for because it was against their company policy.

I was reprimanded once for not working full time on one project, while I had 8 other projects that I was required to attend meetings for.

Management was very poor at even letting employee's readjust their schedule once or twice a year for things like doctor appointments. If I would need to take off work 1 hour early (this would ONLY happen 1 or 2 times per year) I would be reprimanded or my yearly raise review would say "Habitually Absent" and disciplinary action was always sought.

Managers also controlled when I could use my vacation time, which was never. Leaving me to always have to use it at their discretion every December.

There is a horrible culture at Dow of using departments to promote young employees into management through Six Sigma. With that structure there are managers with only 1 or 2 years of work experience that are "Senior" (insert job title)... It is horrible when they can't even read a ruler, yet get continuously promoted say in mechanical engineering. – less
Solid company
Benefits Team (Former Employee), Midland, MIJune 27, 2015
Solid company that is getting more progressive in HR practices making it less transactional HR and more strategic HR work.
Very nice working environment
Mechanical and PCE Modeler (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 25, 2015
Nice company to work at.
Had great experience in team work.
Very friendly people to work with.
Gained a lot of experiences.
Wonderful company culture.
dow
Hole Watch / Fire Watch Safety Attendant (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJune 24, 2015
Pros: the pay
Cons: rain out days
Great place to work its always something new to learn great peolpe in the company nothing hard about the day very great place to work
Great environment
Sr. Civil Structural Engineer, PE (Current Employee), Freeport, TXJune 17, 2015
Pros: Work life balance
Cons: distance from Houston. I like the big city
I have had the opportunity to work on projects from very small to mega projects all while at DOW in Freeport TX. There are many older engineers that have great experience both at Freeport plants and other DOW plants around the world, and they love to share their knowledge and experiences with younger engineers. I have had the opportunity to travel to a few of the other plants in the region and even one in Mexico, all the DOW employees I have had the opportunity to work with have been great to work with. It is very easy to show up to work here everyday.
Great place to work that allows you plenty of family time when needed
Sr. Process Control Hardware Technologist (Current Employee), Freeport, TXJune 16, 2015
Pros: Lots of experienced people with knowledge
Cons: Vision plan isn't that good
Awesome place, great benefits and plenty of nice people that help out when needed. When you have issues that need to be taken care of Dow allows you time off without question.
Job could be challengin
Senior Technologist R&D (Former Employee), Buffalo Grove, ILJune 15, 2015
Pros: People were team players.
Cons: Not enough rescoures
You will work on many things from customers samples, product improvement/development, team projects, safety, they offer many online classes and training.
Overall good place to work.
Transportation Regulatory Specialist (Current Employee), Midland, MIJune 13, 2015
The people at the Dow Chemical Company are nice and I enjoy working there but the location is not ideal.

40 hour work weeks are standard.

The management cares about their employees and supports a work/life balance.
Great Work Life Balance
Intern (Former Employee), Midland, MIJune 12, 2015
Pros: Lots to learn, pay, interesting work
Cons: Location
Great company to work for. You learn a lot and have many opportunities as an intern. They organize seminars, networking events, and many other social events.
Production and Safety
Chemical Plant Operator (Former Employee), Deer Park, TXJune 12, 2015
Pros: Excellent benefits
Cons: Breaks
Inspected and operated equipment such as pumps, reactors, valves, cooling towers, heat exchangers, pods, distillations, scrubber units, and storage product tanks and provided plant wide logistical support with heavy equipment. Mixed and Prepared Oil Additives for Batch. Provided support with barge transfers to storage tanks, fueling diesel generators. Used SAP software system to upgrade customer profiles and to order and monitor inventory. Computer skills a plus.
Lots of work
Project Procurement Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 9, 2015
Pros: cake once a month
Cons: new processes
Lack of structure. Micro-Manage, Tedious tasks, mundane work experience. No sense of accomplishment. Many emplyoyees stay contract for long periods of time with little to no growth opportunities. Strict work environment.
Great workplace fun enviroment
Technical Co-op (Former Employee), Midland, MIJune 8, 2015
This workplace was exciting and I had learned a lot about new technology. There were ample amounts of mentors who were willing to teach you anything that they could. The pay and education reimbursement was exceptional.
Challenging with good growth potential
R&D Manager / Greenbelt Project Leader (Current Employee), NJJune 8, 2015
DOW Chemical is a company focused on continual innovation and continual growth. Working within the Electronic Materials Division, R&D focus is very exciting and challenging.
Mentorship was excellent
Intern in Manufacturing and Engineering Division (Former Employee), Freeport, TXJune 3, 2015
Pros: Good schedule
Cons: Humid weather and lots of mosquitoes.
As my first exposure to the industrial work, Dow allowed me to have a great experience as an intern. With different projects, I was able to get real experience as a chemical engineer.
Great!
Maintenance Engineer Co-op (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNMay 30, 2015
Dow Chemical Company has a great culture. Employees and leader collaborate to provide superior results. Great work/life balance.
Safe and productive place to work
Process Technician (Former Employee), La Porte, TXMay 27, 2015
Enjoyed my years there as a process technician. Great co-workers. Great team atmosphere. You rotate positions so you never become stale.
Fun company to work. Career growth, excellent
Environmental Health and Safety Technician (Former Employee), Freeport, TXMay 27, 2015
Dow is a great company to work for. Excellent benefits. care very much about employees safety and health. Dow cares about the families of the employees and allows time and considerations for family related concerns

1 2 3 4 5

About The Dow Chemical Company

Dow combines the power of science and technology to passionately innovate what is essential to human progress. The Company is – Read more

The Dow Chemical Company Salaries