The Dow Chemical Company

The Dow Chemical Company Employee Reviews

Horrible training program, toxic work environment
Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXJuly 17, 2015
Typical day as a process operator starts at 4am. Make shift relief and read logbooks, master task list, check emails, moc's and any other computer based Dow tasks that upper management seems to think are more important than anything else before 7am morning meeting. After wasting close to an hour on the computer that is shared with the other operators, you rush to make your rounds in your plant, check your equipment,collect and analyze your samples. Then with maybe 5 min to spare, your able to use the restroom before the daily morning meeting begins. Then the fun starts. Day staff and operations go around talking about the importance of the MOC's, EAT's, MyLearning modules, BBP's, and so on. Basically your told you have more paperwork and web-based work to do on top of doing your job as an actual Operator. After 45 min or so, you then proceed to issue and safe work permits to the contractors who have standing and waiting patiently for you to walk out and review the job scope of whatever they are trying to work on. After all the permits have been properly written it's usually time for lunch. Eat, then go outside and work, help out other operators if needed or whatever you can do to keep yourself out of Operations' crosshairs. It seems as if they get bored lying and backstabbing each other by 2PM, so they come into the control room or go outside( if the weather is nice) and look for something your doing to say is wrong, unsafe, not effective and so on....by 3 you start getting things prepared and finish up your tasks the next shift so they aren't stuck doing what you couldn't  more... do during the day because your being watched by numerous salary employees who most of which (not all, but most) want to critique your every move and tell the leaders that you're working unsafe. By 4, you're most likely trying to finish writing and checking the piles of unnecessary paperwork that you turn in so someone in operations can review over, trying to find something wrong with it. If lucky, you only stay 45 min to hour over (overtime) before you get to go home to your family. That is a typical day at Dow.

As for the pay, it's the lowest in the industry, no pension package, no retirement plan, only a 401K, the Union solid itself out to Dow, they have lost any swing or pull that it once had prior to 2007.
The "training program" for new operators is a joke. The time allowed to learn and actually know the job safely is not what one would call feasible. Most new hires take their training material home and study on their off time, as it is impossible to try and study during the day at the plant when there is so much work (and b.s paperwork) to be done. Only time at work you can study is on graveyards, if you have all your other web based work done that is.

Most people who come to Dow end up leaving for other companies for higher pay / less busy work or are ran off due to the toxic culture and lack of integrity from management staff.

Not every block is bad, but it seems like you hear same description as above when other Operators describe their particular block. If you find yourself working at Dow, learn what you can from the Senio Operators who know more than anyone else(and not paid what they are worth) and try to get hired elsewhere, as that seems to be the common trend these days. Work hard, help out your fellow Operators and watch eachothers backs and get out after a year or so.
Pros
Descent benefits, fellow operators are great guys
Cons
Management, pay, training program, hours away from family.
Highly professional and fast-paced working environment.
HR Service Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Midland, MIApril 27, 2014
The knowledge base required to perform well in a human resources call center, especially for a global corporation, is vast. The functions are widely varied and expertise in all areas of policy, procedure, and dedicated service to every employee in North America from the factory worker to high levels of management is essential and expected. Every day is different and a typical day always involves a new approach to inquiries or additional information to discern and/or escalate and communicate verbally and written. Serving our client's needs and adapting to change is constant and training never stops. Technology and work culture moves quickly, so learning and updating the tools and resources for skill improvement is necessary. Complacency has no place in that fast-paced and demanding environment. Every team member is important and valued, so the term 'co-worker' dims in comparison to the team effort it takes to be the successful unit we are. The management and centers of expertise within the Human Resources department inform and recognize the work we all do on the front lines as first contact with proficiency and excellence and inclusion. Safety matters, too. The workplace is monitored constantly to proactively address ergonomic issues, workspaces, and health concerns through evaluations, education, programs, and communication. The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable--the clients.They challenge my wits and often force me out of any comfort zone I may think I had, but this also helps me serve them better and in turn, inspires growth and professional satisfaction.
Pros
well educated and highly skilled workforce; trusted branding; diversified
Cons
restructuring and outsourcing is the trend
Workforce treated less important vs policies
Process Operator/Technician (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXMay 4, 2012
Typical day at work is wriitng safe work procedures for maintenanance to be performed and puuting equipment back in service once maitenanve performed or clearing more equipment to be tagged out for more maintenance. Making rounds and checking for maintence problems is important part of the daily routine.
I learned how to operate and maintain awide variety of equipment. I learned how to clear equipment and tag it out in safe manner and how to put it back in service once it is repaired. I learned how to respond to offline events and how to bring the plant down sfely and back to online production in a safe manner as well.
Management has too big of a turover. I have been through 4 different Production leaders and 3 difffernt Operation Leaders and abut the same number of Engineers over each section of the plant and this was was just in 7 years. The rules were always changing which lead to unfair displinary practices.
Operators work together very well despite the stress that management puts on them. The outside operators and the board operators communicate with each other about how the plant is running and keep it it runnning effciently.
The hardest part of the job is the startup following an offline event. equipmnet has to be prepared correctly and this may take some time as the equipment may have been down for a while.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the other operators on a day to day basis and sharing the experinces that all of us have as operators and humans as well. It is very easy to start and maintain strong friendships with the other operators
Pros
good salary
Cons
unfair policies and management practices
Poor managers, refused to pay for required overtime
Tooling Designer and Engineer Core R&D (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIJune 30, 2015
I worked in Core R&D and was responsible for Tooling Design since I have 30 years of experience, 3 years at Dow Chemical.

Very poor management to the point they are extremely inept and demonstrated no skill set. Basically none of Dow's managers could read tolerances or drawings despite being Mechanical Engineers. On several occasions I was overloaded with work while several others sat with no work for month and a few for years.. My manager Peter S. demanded that I work 20+ hours per week of over time, which I was later told that Dow would not pay me for because it was against their company policy.

I was reprimanded once for not working full time on one project, while I had 8 other projects that I was required to attend meetings for.

Management was very poor at even letting employee's readjust their schedule once or twice a year for things like doctor appointments. If I would need to take off work 1 hour early (this would ONLY happen 1 or 2 times per year) I would be reprimanded or my yearly raise review would say "Habitually Absent" and disciplinary action was always sought.

Managers also controlled when I could use my vacation time, which was never. Leaving me to always have to use it at their discretion every December.

There is a horrible culture at Dow of using departments to promote young employees into management through Six Sigma. With that structure there are managers with only 1 or 2 years of work experience that are "Senior" (insert job title)... It is horrible when they can't even read a ruler, yet get continuously promoted say in mechanical engineering.
Cons
No breaks, managers demanded OT be worked for free.
GREAT workplace culture, but beware politics
Engineer (Former Employee) –  TXMarch 10, 2015
Working at Dow you will find yourself faced with many challenging experiences. I liked how Dow will let their employees have freedom to work on what they like, although, the double edged blade to this is that, in my experience, leaders are too strong and management too weak--Dow policy is not to be open and honest with their employees. For example, you may find that the 6 months of 60 hour weeks you've been slaving on various projects might be rewarded with negative performance review without logical explanation for why--besides that other's have given you some improvement feedback via your boss without confronting you directly.

The company saying, "The Human Element" was and is still something I love about Dow; this is a company that loves their people and holds themselves accountable for developing their employees. But like the other facades I have mentioned, there is always a dark side. With Dow, it's more about how you do things than what you actually get completed, and of course the heaviest doses of compensation will go to the guy who doesn't disturb other work groups and is generally liked by employees--regardless of whether he is right, wrong, indifferent, or does anything!

The bottom line is, although the culture is great with this company (especially for the y-gen!) if one would like to consider employment with Dow, my final advice would be to be honest with oneself. Dow is a great company to work for, but only for the select few.
Pros
Lots of opportunity for those that want it
Cons
The rewards/advancement paths are the same for any Dow employee regardless of actual job experience
It is a great company which support innovation and establish standard in technology
Associate Technology Manager (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXDecember 11, 2013
I will always like to work with Dow company. It is a company which has made development in many technology and always try to adopt new technology and methodology.
It is a company which stick to rules and standard. In every process they prioritize safety concept. I have learned that point while working in this company.
It is a international company, so it accepts better concepts from outside . It has many joint venture outside the US. So I learned what others are expecting from us and we must provide them .
Fortunately I got very experienced and matured co-worker who were expert in their own subject. So I learned to go to the detail analysis of the issue before providing solution. The hardest part of the job was to implement solution. It has to go through process of MOC and need to be approved by higher authority.
It was enjoyable to work with experienced co-worker who value other thoughts and concepts. They were not trying to force their thoughts .Instead they were trying to convince others through logic and facts. So it was enjoyable part to discuss technical issues during meeting and find best resolution.
Pros
motivating, very high safty standard, maintaining work life balance, innovative, establish technology standard, support work ethics
Cons
multinational company, very big company, difficult to judge your position
Safety, Team-work oriented, intensly trained, suffisticated place to work.
Process Operator / Intern (Former Employee) –  LHC-3 Ethylene UnitJuly 7, 2012
I simply loved being a process operator for Dow! I really enjoyed learning lots of new things on a daily basis, from my co-workers and company resource materials. The only down side was that not all employees followed safety standards and practices. So, in my days of training, I mostly got the "Do as I say and Not as I DO" saying... An If you followed these rules like you were expected to, alot of co-workers seemed to be threatened by these actions and looked to any conflict surrounding an employee, in order to direct negative attention to someone and their work ethics. Fortunatelty, I completed my internship with outstanding leadership revews in the month of December. Only to find out in January of 2012 that I was being "Laid-Off" due to a global "Hiring Freeze" company wide...

Graduating in December of 2011 didnt bring me the best of luck with this bad economy among all else, but I must say, I am truly greatful I managed to choose going to college for processing technologies & Instumentation! Dow offered me an Internship, which I took and sucessfully completed, and a career field I absolutly fell in love with!
Pros
everything about being in the field of process operations!
Cons
being stripped of the oppurtunity of a lifetime, because of this bad economy today...
Overall a good place of employement
Global Incident Management Team LEad (Current Employee) –  Midland, MichiganJune 20, 2012
Dow will let you work as much as you want. A typical day at work for me would begin with meetings I lead beginning at 0800 and continueing until I went home at 5pm. Because of the nature of the work there were often times I worked after 5pm and through the weekend. I learned a lot about big corporations and how they use their size to take advantage of smaller companies. The management is strictly focused on lowest cost to server, therefore the employees are not as important as reducing costs. The main focus is to outsource everything possible to a lower cost provider. The co-workers are the best. Because everyone is so worried about losing their job to an off-shore company, my co-workers worked day and night in an attempt to keep their jobs. The hardest part of the job was watching people put their life and sole into making their job the best it could be just to find out their job was being eliminated strictly due to cost. The most enjoyable part of my job was clearly the people I worked with, both in side the company and external to the company.
Pros
lots of work, flexible work schedule, good people to work with
Cons
the company takes advantage of their people and then just dumps them when they are done with them.
Has been great work experience
Export Compliance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Midland, MIMay 13, 2015
It's been a great learning experience assisting with a global company's SAP system upgrade. I helped with blueprinting as well as data cleansing for each region's upgrade. Understanding the complexity of compliance for a global company has been an asset for any many roles I would obtain moving forward.

I work closely with the DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration), US Customs and Border protection, and the BIS (Bureau of Industry and Security) overseeing our regulated export and import orders.

My typical day involves system block troubleshooting, system maintenance, and compliance activities. I have a team in another division that manages some export activities for me - I guide and mentor them in their daily activities, I trained them and continue to share new knowledge and system tricks which enhance our activities. I oversee the DEA exports and I handle BIS regulated exports.

I enjoy being able to work remotely during snowy or icy days. The flexibility for working from home is also a huge asset when you have children. This allows me the freedom to attend school functions, while still getting my work done.
Pros
Working remotely
Cons
Difficulty in advancement, need a mentor internally to network
Cutthroat, condescending place with constant scrutiny and internal competition
Chemical Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIOctober 8, 2014
High paying but completely lopsided expectations put on employees. Management believes they are kings. Company thinks they own you when you sign on with them, thus expect 50+ hour work weeks, extreme output (world class as they put it), a complete work focus with contempt given for outside interests, expectation of a Type 'A', alpha-male "leader" personality, with contempt and a condescending attitude bordering on arrogance expressed towards other types. Forced ranking performance system with accelerated promotions given to 'gold' ones; with others being stagnated and eventually forced out. It is an 'up or out' system. No longer a place to work an entire career - just go there for 5 years or less to get the large company experience and then move on. The headquarters, Midland, MI is a rich, conservative, stuffy place completely centered around Dow. Do not go there for life balance, variety, individual expression, or anything else unrelated to Dow.
Pros
high palying with unlimited resourses; large variety of technology
Cons
extremely competitive, arrogant, condescending, with job security only for a few; management dominated

Want to know more about The Dow Chemical Company?

Ask a question
Great place to work with great people.
Developer / Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVAugust 30, 2014
Typical Day:
* Meet with clients, end users, and stake holders to flesh out design and testing plans for new software or software updates.
* Write and test code as well as document project progress.
* Rollout software, train users, support existing products.

What I've learned:
* Self and team management
* All stages of software development

Management:
I manage myself and I'm completely responsible for making sure that projects are functionally on target and delivered on time.

Hardest part of my job:
I've managed to build a great reputation as someone who can deliver robust solutions that go above and beyond expectations. This means that more and more people seek me out to help with their particular needs. At times I am unable to immediately take on all requests and that's always a little difficult for me. I would like to take on everything that comes my way as soon as I'm asked.

Most enjoyable part of my job:
By far the most enjoyable part of my job is when a user or owner contacts me just to tell me how helpful my applications are.
Pros
flexible schedule, creative freedom, good benefits, good pay, great people.
Cons
career / skill development could be a little better.
Worked at Dow Chemical for 35 years. Enjoyed it all except for 2 years when I had POOR, POOR leadership.
Administrator/Document Mgmt (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXJune 11, 2012
In the 35 years I worked at Dow I held several positions. A typical day usually consisted of starting by greeting everyone then starting to work. Over the years I learned how to use/train others in the use of MS software, Business Objects, Access databases, document management, scheduling, payroll, state reporting, procedure writing by using Infomap, planning and coordinating special events, budget tracking, travel arrangements and facilitate meetings. Management was great and made working at Dow fun. In all the years I worked there I only came across one really bad supervisor. She should never be over people because she even admitted to me that she was uncomfortable leading others. My co-workers where ever I have been have all been fantastic! I've been lucky in that I can get along with just about anyone. The hardest part of any job is change when something has been working well. But the most enjoyable part of any and all jobs is the people!
Pros
good benefits, good pay, great people, good management, good retirement
Cons
promotes poor leadership
I worked as a Contrator temporarily with another company.
Sourcing Specialist (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 4, 2013
This company was working on a large project with Saudi Arabia, which they hired practically all contract people in the procurement department. We were not allowed to assign a PO unless it was reviewed by the Saudi Engineers and DOW Engineer Project Managers and then it was entered into an old system that another department entered the orders. There was probably 18-20 Buyers who were all trying to get work done, but it took us 3 - 4 months just to get one PO out the door because of all the red tape they wanted to go through. I learned that there were too many meetings and reports that had to be done each week, which interfered with doing my job. Most of the Buyers were great to work with, except the young contract people they put over us who were horrible to work with. They had no professional experience and talked down to all of us constantly. You never knew who was really in charge. There was no enjoyable part of working there and I would never recommend anyone to work at DOW on that project. Maybe the other DOW Procurement group has a better system, but this project was the worst.
Workplace that is productive, self-driven, flexible, and supportive
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Midland, MIMay 28, 2013
There is no typical day for a Customer Service Rep at Dow Chemical. Pros are that each CSR supports a business under the Dow umrella and supports a handful of customers. Each CSR can develop relationships with their customers and it isn't "call center" customer service. CSRs get requests all across the board and we work with nearly every department. Customer service is a good stepping stone when coming in to the company, and customer service is a relatively highly regarded department within Dow.
Cons are that you can definitely get lost in the shuffle if you don't stand out. The performance management and goal review system at Dow is not popular. It can tend to pit one employee against the other because every one is trying to look their best. The job can sometimes be boring and can sometimes be overwhelming so you never know what you are going to get. Customer Service is also very process driven and although we can manage our accounts how we please, we can sometimes be scolded for going outside the process. We also have to be on call 2-3 weeks out of the year.
Kelly scientific (Dow) Midland, michigan very poor work work situation for you
research technologist contractor (Former Employee) –  midland, miOctober 20, 2013
You can take it from me as a 5yr contract employee working in R+D. Kelly Contractor is a euphemism for a different term “permanently temporary “ in Midland. I knew a lot of fellow contractors there and I never heard once anything positive said about Kelly Scientific. I heard a few neutral comments some of which I made myself. I didn’t realize how bad it was until after leaving there 3yrs ago. Dow treats contractors poorly and hands out pay cuts to contractors only, in 5% increments. That’s right, with time your pay goes down not up. They will still hire new contractors at their going rate which isn’t a lot .I went though only 1 of the 5% cuts, but some went though 2 or more. Dow hires a few contractors but a minority. If someone wants a full time job, they should look elsewhere. The Kelly administrators will never be your advocate on anything since they don’t want to offend their big cash cow in midland. I am glad now I’m doing dignified work elsewhere and not a kelly livestock contractor..
Pros
very interesting place and great science
Cons
read the review
A diverse and educational place to work
Administrative Technician (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIMay 31, 2013
The following occurred through each month:
Retiree Pay Processing for 63,000 retirees.
Troubleshooting payroll and benefit errors prior to pay confirmation for Retiree pays
Customer Service – Retiree Service Call Center
Process overpayments due to audit updates and errors
FICA Tax processing
Process Stock payments, overpayments, loans and tax advances
Process off cycles for pension and benefit issues
Input of missing data for retiree pay.

In this job I learned to be a team player and juggle multiple issues that may occur through out the month. This job taught me how to manage my time in able to get a pay out on time. The hardest part of this job was the time constraints that had to be meant in order to get a pay out on time. You had to pay attention to detail.

The most enjoyable aspect of this job was the satisfaction of getting the pay out on time with minimal issues. I enjoyed being part of a hard working team that worked together to accomplish a pay.
Pros
good team work and enjoyed the people i worked with
Cons
time contraints that come with a payroll job
Dow Chemical is a good place to work. Got to make good friends and it always feels like a brotherhood.
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXJanuary 24, 2013
My typical work at Dow as to review logbook as soon as I got there. Read and reply to any email that needed attention. Did Chlorine and ground inspections of entire block. Updated logbook with any findings and repairs to equipment that needed to be made. Put in work orders for any equipment that needed to be put out of service. Cleared and tagged out that equipment for repairs.

Everything we did was a team effort and we all contributed to running the plant safely and producing product within specs. It is a great team. Supervisor always made sure we had all the tools necessary for any job and had freedoms to order those as we required them.

hardest part of the job was when it was time to go home. it was a fun atmosphere and we kept everyone involved with the everyday activities. Also, some supervision micro managed every employee, which slowed some processes down.
Pros
free lunches, recognition by management for work done
Cons
some management negativity
Administrative Assistant-Technical
Administrative Assitant - Technical/Chemical (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIJuly 14, 2014
As previously noted, I worked in the Research Center of The Dow Chemical Company. My job, mainly, was to type research reports based upon the research being done in the lab which I was stationed. We also sent a lot of "communications" to people all over the world, including Africa. Often times, Management would hand over some report which needed to get done "yesterday." I would usually get handed this report because I learned to type 120 wpm, including chemical equations with great accuracy. My co-workers were more than just that. They were my friends and family. Together we worked a lot of overtime and became the most productive research admin. assistants in the whole Center. I also was selected to work exclusively for a Sr. Research Manager due to my office skills. I loved working at Dow and usually came in early, and worked late, just like my co-workers. Management was very appreciative!
Pros
heavy work load - good attitudes and great co-workers
Cons
heavy work load - need to stay positive!
A company that is strong on safety and quality of their product.
Quality Control Lab Technologist (Former Employee) –  Midland, MINovember 30, 2013
In tweleve plus years I worked in the area of pharmaceticals, food, electronics and coatings. I had a job title of being a quality control lab technoligst in all the areas I worked. I dealt with several different pieces of lab equipment to reach the end product of a good, safe product for the consumer.
I learned how to operate and maintain several different pieces of lab equipment.
Like all big companies management was different in the various departments and what was new at that time of big businesses.
I always worked well my co-workers.
The hardest part of my job was to know that some of the chemicals I worked with could be very deadly if not handled safely.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the amount of knowledge I was learning and that I really like working in a lab. I also enjoyed working with a company that had safety as number one.
Pros
the work schedule of 9-80.
Cons
like all companies the job was never a sure thing
Good Place To Work
Technical Advisor/Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILJune 13, 2012
Good atmosphere, with good people to work with. VERY safety oriented. The pay is very good for the area. Good benifits and retirement for salaried employee's. A very impowered work atmosphere. The plant in Charleston could make a very good profit for Dow if it did not have to abide by the same rules or constraints that the much larger Dow sites must abide by. One size does not fit all. The funny accounting that is done within Dow can devistate a small site like Charleston. Which it has and that is why it is closing the doors. Very sad, but loved the opprotunities I was given and enjoyed working in Charleston with some very talented people and I feel I gained a lot of transferable knowledge to take with me to another employer.
Pros
free lunches, great co-workers, good pay, safety is number 1, caring site leaders, good personal/work balance
Cons
union, hot!, upper management for dow is out of touch with the smaller plants, charleston site is closing, old equipment