The Dow Chemical Company

The Dow Chemical Company United States Employee Reviews

Safety cultured business, benefits and pay are average.
Process Operator (Current Employee), Freeport, TXApril 12, 2015
Safety cultured business, benefits and pay are average. offers a chance to belong to union if interested. Most all the Employees I worked with as an Operator are kind, knowledgeable, and quick learners
Productive environment when working with team
Human Resources, Payroll Specialist (Former Employee), Midland, MIApril 8, 2015
Pros: Encouraged to get away from desk, Cafeteria caters food, friendly work environment, Gym onsite
Cons: High expectations, Long hours during crunch time, task could be pushed aside to further more important functions
Worked together with superiors and coworkers for greatest results. Was assigned some tasks to be solely responsible and report results to groups for discussions. If solution is viable implementation talks begin along with which individuals would be best suited to aid for completion.
Great Company
Chemist (Current Employee), Princeton, NJApril 7, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours, independent work, family-oriented
Cons: Hiring freeze, keep you as a contractor as long as they can
The Dow Chemical Company is a giant corporation that looks after its employees and is definitely a family-friendly firm. Although I only work in a very small sector of the company as a contractor, they have brought me on and treated me as though I already work for Dow. The management style is different with a laissez-faire approach. The working environment is rather independent with weekly meetings on goals. Since we are doing research and development, everyone knows their role and what needs to be done from day-to-day. The only thing here is that they will attempt to keep you as a contractor as long as possible to cut costs on their end.
Dow Chemical is a great company to work for.
AEM- Laboratory Technician R&D- Kelly Services (Current Employee), Midland, MIApril 7, 2015
It is really hard to become a permanent employee at Dow Chemical in the science/operator field. I enjoy my job even though I'm contracted in.
Time and Place
Process Technician\Permit Coordinator (Former Employee), Freeport, TXApril 2, 2015
Pros: Safety, Training and Empowerment.
Cons: Secretive unfair pay structure.
Dow is a Giant Company. Everyone is going to have a different experience based on the time and place they are employed. For me I was never in the right groove for it to work out, by the time I got a stable position and appropriate pay progression I had already made other plans. However, I would recommend it to anyone willing to pay their dues and stick for the long haul.
excellent learning opportunity
EHS Coordinator (Former Employee), Taft, LAMarch 29, 2015
Dow Taft is a great place to work. The site is immersed in a dynamic safety culture. Working as a safety coordinator for the Olifins 2 recommissioning, I took advantage of learning the Dow global and site specific safety procedures and I was able to apply these learning on construction jobs afterwards.
no long term emplyment
Process Technician (Former Employee), Ringwood, ILMarch 23, 2015
Pros: long breaks
Cons: work with idiots
Most employees don't do much work so you have to pick up their slack.
You can take as long as a break as you want. everyone takes at least an hour 3xs a day.
People will throw you under the bus.
No one knows what they are doing.
OK to work for
Daily maintenance Coordinator Duties (Current Employee), Oyster creekMarch 18, 2015
Pros: write my own check
Cons: over worked
Very busy being the only (WAC) taking care of 4 plants very Under staffed
SAP / Management is good to work for ,,for the most part
co-workers are good to work with.
hardest part of job is having so many jobs going at the same time ,without enough people to do the work.
Good company that cares about employees
Manufacturing & Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Freeport, TXMarch 10, 2015
Demanding work schedule with good projects for co-ops. 4/10 or 9/80 schedule while working operations in the plant. Diverse group of employees.
GREAT workplace culture, but beware politics
Engineer (Former Employee), TXMarch 10, 2015
Pros: Lots of opportunity for those that want it
Cons: The rewards/advancement paths are the same for any Dow employee regardless of actual job experience
Working at Dow you will find yourself faced with many challenging experiences. I liked how Dow will let their employees have freedom to work on what they like, although, the double edged blade to this is that, in my experience, leaders are too strong and management too weak--Dow policy is not to be open and honest with their employees. For example, you may find that the 6 months of 60 hour weeks you've been slaving on various projects might be rewarded with negative performance review without logical explanation for why--besides that other's have given you some improvement feedback via your boss without confronting you directly.

The company saying, "The Human Element" was and is still something I love about Dow; this is a company that loves their people and holds themselves accountable for developing their employees. But like the other facades I have mentioned, there is always a dark side. With Dow, it's more about how you do things than what you actually get completed, and of course the heaviest doses of compensation will go to the guy who doesn't disturb other work groups and is generally liked by employees--regardless of whether he is right, wrong, indifferent, or does anything!

The bottom line is, although the culture is great with this company (especially for the y-gen!) if one would like to consider employment with Dow, my final advice would be to be honest with oneself. Dow is a great company to work for, but only for the select few.
Very profitable high growth company
Environment, Health and Safety Leader (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 8, 2015
You typically put in long hours but are rewarded with above average benefits. Layoffs are rare so stable employment has long been a staple there.
Stuck in the 80s
HR Representative (Current Employee), midland, miMarch 7, 2015
Stable company for over 100 years. Though, management culture is old school. Bad location for offices. Work life balance is poor.
Detailed Lab Technician
SL2 Lab Technician (Current Employee), Midland, MIMarch 3, 2015
Pros: co-workers, analytical technologists
Cons: shift work
A typical day at work consists of multiple products from various facilities needing to be analyzed. We serve a few different business and do all their quality analysis.
I work with a great set of co-workers whom are always there to help one another out.
Good company, need to be more competive
Instrument & Electrical Technician (Current Employee), Deer Park, TXMarch 3, 2015
A good job and good company to work for, but need to be more competive with the going rates in the Houston ship channel area.
Productive and fun workplace. I feel very honored to have had that opportunity.
Pricing Coordinator (Former Employee), Midland, MichiganMarch 3, 2015
I was very fortunate to work for The Dow Chemical Company. They work very well to ensure that new employees receive the proper training and encouragement to be successful in their job. Team leaders were very supportive. I loved my coworkers and looked forward to coming to work each and every day.

A typical day at work was really hectic, but I looked forward to being there. The most enjoyable part of my job was my coworkers and the past-paced environment.

The hardest part of my job didn't occur until the company changed software and operating systems and I was in charge of training team members and new hires how to manage those changes.
Great training
QC (Former Employee), Free Port TXMarch 3, 2015
Willing to train and help when need to let you succeed in this line of work. I have been happy to work there with more skills.
DOCUMENT RETRIEVAL SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Midland, MiMarch 2, 2015
Pros: for doing well at our jobs the boss would take us to movies
Cons: i didn't have a bad experience at dow
I supervised the Document Retrieval are in the Record Center. We would get requests from Accounts Payable or Accounts Receivable scan them and send them to the requestor via e-mail. I learned to supervise and train coops and tried to lead by good work ethics My management was very surprised by the work that I could output and he would increase my responsibilities when Dow Chemical purchased UCC and Rohm and Haus Chemical Companies. My coworkers and I worked as a team
Insane rotating shift schedule
Current position is as a quality lab technician (Current Employee), Midland MichiganMarch 1, 2015
Pros: benefits, performance awards
Cons: shift work, poor management
7 nights in a row (12 hour weekends), then 48 hours to transition and be ready for 7 days in a row, then 5 afternoons.
Management seems disconnected from the realities of shift work.
Good company to start with.
Process Operator (Former Employee), Texas City, TXFebruary 27, 2015
This is a good job for some one that just needs to get the experience. For the most part the plant is stream lined with very little personnel. They like for their operators to change valves, gaskets and other minor repairs to the unit.
political croneism at its best
Marketing Manager (Former Employee), Midland, MIFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: a great spot for egotists
Cons: too many eggheads in power positions. neuveau riche midwesterners, simple minded social misfits.
I worked at Dow in Sales and Marketing for 20 years advancing to the Director level. Many good friends. Develop your mentors and watch your back. The company is a multinational old boys club with more cliques than most Junior High Schools. It's a great place to work if you are an unsophisticated apple polisher. Be ready to do a good job, look good in the shower and kowtow to the local Lord.

1 2 3 4 5

About The Dow Chemical Company

Dow combines the power of science and technology to passionately innovate what is essential to human progress. The Company is – Read more

The Dow Chemical Company Salaries