The Dow Chemical Company

The Dow Chemical Company Employer Reviews

political croneism at its best
Marketing Manager (Former Employee), Midland, MIFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: a great spot for egotists
Cons: too many eggheads in power positions. neuveau riche midwesterners, simple minded social misfits.
I worked at Dow in Sales and Marketing for 20 years advancing to the Director level. Many good friends. Develop your mentors and watch your back. The company is a multinational old boys club with more cliques than most Junior High Schools. It's a great place to work if you are an unsophisticated apple polisher. Be ready to do a good job, look good in the shower and kowtow to the local Lord.
Very Good Company Cut throat competition
Senior Project Manager, Operational Readiness (Former Employee), Midland MichiganFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: work hours flexibilty, opportunity to work on new technologies
Cons: too much work, unrealistic deadline
Very demanding company but worth to work for them

Difficult to ge promoted as you age

Always looking for ways to cut costs

Excellent Business Recovery program
A very strong and well established company
Technical Advisor (Former Employee), Freeport, TXFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: just a great carreer for me
Cons: no cans
My time there at Dow was quite full filling with many challenges, opportunities and accomplishments. I learned how to work with any sort of situation, people and a highly integrated chemical industry. Some days and nights were long, yet rewarding. I have worked for, and with many different personalities from management and peers, to all sorts of contract support.

I found the hardest part of my job was not broken equipment, those things can always be resolved. People can present the biggest challenge, yet that too can always be managed.

I feel that the best and most enjoyable part of my job was knowing I had done a good days work, and coming home to my family to enjoy what I had worked for.
Great people to work with.
Run Plant Technician (Current Employee), Freeport, TXFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: no breaks and short lunches.
A typical day at work would be classified as very busy. You learned a lot on how to troubleshoot various pieces of equipment. Management is there at all times to answer any questions you may have. The co-workers are always willing to lend a helping hand when needed. The hardest part about the job is we are severely understaffed. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you are always busy and that helps the day to go by faster.
Dow Chemical
Detailed Production Scheduler (Current Employee), Midland, MIFebruary 21, 2015
I have enjoyed and do enjoy working for Dow. I would prefer to continue working with them, but restructuring is changing that prospect. They were better than most companies with this transition. I would very much like to find work in the same field with a company that is similar in their respect for employees.
good overall place to work or start a career
senior chemical opeerator (Former Employee), Ringwood, ILFebruary 18, 2015
it was a good experience for the 36 years of work met a lot of very nice people there(very professional) and knowledgeable people . made a lot of friends there.
Good people, good pay, long hours, high stress
Process Operator Technician (Current Employee), LouisianaFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: pay, safety supplies
Cons: breaktime, family time, management process
In a typical day at work, it can be fast paced or slow paced and sometimes change between the two almost instantly as you are running a process and sometimes it has a mind of its own. You have to know your job really well, but that at many times is still too stressful to feel your knowledge. The management is good; however, they don't stay in one job long enough to really know what goes in to the everyday of running the plant. Your co-workers become your family because you see them more then your real family most times. The hardest part of the job is the requirement to know a job at its greatest in a short amount of time. No one is a specialist in only a few months time, but that is what is expected. The money is probably the biggest enjoyable part as it pays well, which allows for a somewhat freestyle thought to spending at times.
Hospital Corpsman
Process Operator (Current Employee), Freeport, TXFebruary 14, 2015
Fleet Marine Force Hospital Corpsman. I loved the Navy, being with a Marine unit. Would definitely serve my country again. I learned a lot of valuable medical skills.
Productive work enviroment
External Manufacturing Scheduler BPSC (Current Employee), Midland, MIFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: close to home
Cons: being let go
Work 8-5 M-F, i work in Midland MI and enjoy working in a close environment w/team. I have a computer, two dogs one son and a hubby. I love them all.
Dow is a company of dreamers, believers and solution providers. We offer long–term adventure and daily rewards along with the opportunity
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 12, 2015
. We expect and nurture leadership in every employee as we challenge each other to be the best. Our commitments include:

•Protecting the planet through responsible operations, unique collaborations, and the pursuit of breakthrough technologies aimed at solving world challenges.
•A workplace that thrives on employee development, proactive career feedback, health and wellness offerings, flexible work policies, diversity and inclusion, recognition and employee engagement.
•A creative, dynamic and friendly work environment that values diverse perspectives, is mutually respectful, and benefits from the vision and mentoring of leaders who rank among the best in the industry
Lab Experience
Research and Development (Former Employee), Midland, MichiganFebruary 3, 2015
After get hired for internship, I got bunch of lab experience from DOW so it is really benefit for me because i needed to develop my knowledge of lab. Also, the workers are so friendly so they treated me well and fair so they taught me how to use methods as synthesis and CM3 robots. There are the most hardest part that i have to understand how CM3 works because it is not easy to understand how CM 3 robots.
Good work processes
Process Control Technician (Current Employee), Deer Park, TXJanuary 27, 2015
Great benefits. 9-80 schedule. Very safety oriented company,
Extremely Challenging But great experience
Electronic Engineer, Management of Devices (Former Employee), Plaquemine, LAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: great pay, close to home
Cons: only 18 month contracts. layoffs are always possible.
I would come into my office at dow and do all my inventory management and documentation for the billing of repairs and parts. Then i would begin taking calls for issues with machines being inoperable or damaged or in need of maintenance. I would travel to the block with the problem and assess the issue and if i have the parts on hand i would do the repair then i would document everything , what the damage was, parts used in the repair and repair time. Then i would take another call and so on until the end of the day then do logging of documentation onto dow database for financial records.
great place to work if you have the right supervisor
Sr. PIPING ENGINEERING LEAD (Former Employee), houston texasJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: supervisor are basically hr extention
I loved working for Dow, however, because of its size, the company can become rather political in nature.
TDCC
Finance Technologist (Current Employee), Midland, MIJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: decent pay and good benefits
Cons: no advancement and endless meetings
Overall, the TDCC is a good company to work for, but do not plan on advancing in position. The workload continues to increase and extra personnel is never added to alleviate the stressful workload. Good people to work with and understanding managers. But numbers are still very important to the final decision making.
good starting point
Distribution Operator (Former Employee), Freeport, TXJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: benefits, salary, retirement, safety
Cons: childish game playing, backstabbing, poor relationship between management and employees
It's ok to start and get an intro into the industry but there's alot of backstabbing, game playing, and manipulation from management amongst the union employees. Pay is decent. If you keep to yourself and do your job you should do fine
I smell BS
Operator (Current Employee), PittsburgJanuary 22, 2015
Cons: unprofessional, dead end career path, dirty facility, always bugs around, bathrooms stink, admin staff is messy ladies and bad food
I've heard horror stories about this place like cut throat, messy, un-professional, back stabbing, unethical behavior and over all stagnant career path unless you like cafeteria food. This place is a mess, get in get paid and get out. Don't discuss your business with the admin staff and half the employee's are sleeping with each other. Loserville
Good pay but poor management structure
Operatoring Technician (Current Employee), Pittsburg, CAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: hours
Pay is very good and benefits are average. Formal training is somewhat self guided. 12 hours shifts 48-72 hours per week. Leadership has little to no formal management or HR training. Company has a tendency to say one thing but expect another. Resulting in a tense work environment where operators are blamed for things out of their control
Dow is an ok company
EPC Expediter (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 21, 2015
Company is good. Very diverse. The work load is ok depending on which department you work for.
Good company with strong focus on safety
R&D Technologist (Current Employee), Collegeville, PAJanuary 15, 2015
Dow is a good compaany to work for and gives each employee the ability to grow in their career.

1 2 3 4 5

About The Dow Chemical Company

Dow combines the power of science and technology to passionately innovate what is essential to human progress. The Company is – Read more

The Dow Chemical Company Photos