The Dow Chemical Company

The Dow Chemical Company Employee Reviews

Enjoyed my job, the people were very friendly and a good team
Administrative Assistant & HSE, DCC (Former Employee), Freeport, TXJuly 25, 2015
First thing in the morning I opened outlook, review all emails from my boss and other staff members. Completed all action items and other requests first, then I started doing my other daily duties. These duties included managing several other tools as Action Items, MOC, GEMTS, and moving documents to Documentum and linking them to EDMS database, etc...
great paying job
Fabrication Technician (Current Employee), New Iberia, LAJuly 22, 2015
this job has very good pay and is an amazing workplace. everyone is very friendly and it is a family like work place. amazing amazing amazing amazing amazing amazing
Horrible training program, toxic work environment
Process Technician (Current Employee), Freeport, TXJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Descent benefits, fellow operators are great guys
Cons: Management, pay, training program, hours away from family.
Typical day as a process operator starts at 4am. Make shift relief and read logbooks, master task list, check emails, moc's and any other computer based Dow tasks that upper management seems to think are more important than anything else before 7am morning meeting. After wasting close to an hour on the computer that is shared with the other operators, you rush to make your rounds in your plant, check your equipment,collect and analyze your samples. Then with maybe 5 min to spare, your able to use the restroom before the daily morning meeting begins. Then the fun starts. Day staff and operations go around talking about the importance of the MOC's, EAT's, MyLearning modules, BBP's, and so on. Basically your told you have more paperwork and web-based work to do on top of doing your job as an actual Operator. After 45 min or so, you then proceed to issue and safe work permits to the contractors who have standing and waiting patiently for you to walk out and review the job scope of whatever they are trying to work on. After all the permits have been properly written it's usually time for lunch. Eat, then go outside and work, help out other operators if needed or whatever you can do to keep yourself out of Operations' crosshairs. It seems as if they get bored lying and backstabbing each other by 2PM, so they come into the control room or go outside( if the weather is nice) and look for something your doing to say is wrong, unsafe, not effective and so on....by 3 you start getting things prepared and finish up your tasks the next shift so they aren't stuck doing what you couldn't – more... do during the day because your being watched by numerous salary employees who most of which (not all, but most) want to critique your every move and tell the leaders that you're working unsafe. By 4, you're most likely trying to finish writing and checking the piles of unnecessary paperwork that you turn in so someone in operations can review over, trying to find something wrong with it. If lucky, you only stay 45 min to hour over (overtime) before you get to go home to your family. That is a typical day at Dow.

As for the pay, it's the lowest in the industry, no pension package, no retirement plan, only a 401K, the Union solid itself out to Dow, they have lost any swing or pull that it once had prior to 2007.
The "training program" for new operators is a joke. The time allowed to learn and actually know the job safely is not what one would call feasible. Most new hires take their training material home and study on their off time, as it is impossible to try and study during the day at the plant when there is so much work (and b.s paperwork) to be done. Only time at work you can study is on graveyards, if you have all your other web based work done that is.

Most people who come to Dow end up leaving for other companies for higher pay / less busy work or are ran off due to the toxic culture and lack of integrity from management staff.

Not every block is bad, but it seems like you hear same description as above when other Operators describe their particular block. If you find yourself working at Dow, learn what you can from the Senio Operators who know more than anyone else(and not paid what they are worth) and try to get hired elsewhere, as that seems to be the common trend these days. Work hard, help out your fellow Operators and watch eachothers backs and get out after a year or so. – less
Dead End Job
SSRP (Current Employee), Midland, MIJuly 16, 2015
This job they are hiring for right here is its own work group. This is not a foot in the door to Dow and other jobs. They promise all sorts of things to you. They have too many workers not going anywhere at the top. The bottom of this work group is a revolving door. The swing shift you have to work is not worth the pay and loss of time you go through from your family on weekends and holidays. This job is a waste of time and only should be taken if you need to put food on the table.
dow is ok not the worst
2nd Shift Activity Coordinator (Former Employee), Wilmington, ILJuly 15, 2015
i was in the shipping location and it is very hectic at times management not being able to prioritize and organize when trucks come in for pick up pulling order pickers away to help load trucks and making 3 or 4 trucks come in at one time when there are only 2 loaders sometimes 1. safety is a good thing but they are overdoing safety pickers having to where gloves to pick boxes and write on paper having to wear hardhats and safety glasses while picking up boxes and low pay for to much learning computers being a lead having to learn how to ship over seas and do all the paperwork is not worth the pay but as long as you do your job you can listen to music and get a nice learning experience to move on to a bigger and better company
Exceptional Company
Project Timekeeper (Former Employee), Freeport, TXJuly 15, 2015
Great company to work for the growth is unlimited. Would tell other qualified applicants to apply. Exceptional staff to work with.
Good Company to work for...
Supply Chain Manager (Current Employee), Midland, MIJuly 14, 2015
Great opportunity to learn about a large billion dollar chemical. Many, many moving parts that can help you grow as a professional.
This was a great place to start. I learned the basics of Plastics and the proper was to develop them
Supervisor-High Pressure Polyethylene Pilot Plant (Former Employee), Freeport, TxJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Free to come and go as long as the work was done
Cons: Very hard to find a mentor.
Review where we were and worked on the development in progress and outlined the approach for short term and long term. The management were great teachers and most of them very concerned and helpful. Help to built a pilot plant and a semi- production plant. It was great to work from the starting development to a semi-production stage. The hardest part of the job was trying to find a associate at a higher level as your mentor as this was the only way to advance at Dow.
ok
Security Officer (Current Employee), Midland, MIJuly 11, 2015
The job was a good job while attending college. They pay was good and the easy.

The company was friendly and supported breastfeeding.
excellent fortune 500 cjob
Sr. Project Administrative leader (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 10, 2015
Pros: career oriented environment
Cons: none
I worked for Dow Chemical for 37 years and feel blessed to have found a career that was rewarding and a place where the environment was so pleasant. I enjoyed the people, the place and the work. I was able to grow, to contribute and be rewarded for my ideas. Dow was a great place to work.
nice company to work for
Sr. Administrative Specialist (3.9 yrs.) (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Very challenging assignments
Cons: driving distance to office was a bit too far.
Very large company with good benefits for contractors. The assignments were challenging I always enjoyed the fast pace work environment.
Excellent employer, growth potential and incentives for hard work.
Quality Coordinator (Former Employee), Hahnville, LAJuly 9, 2015
Pros: A company that offers an opportunity for advancement.
A very diverse environment that allows opportunity for acceptance of innovation ideas.
A team environment, where all crafts willing give assistance for the betterment of the company.
Good place to work with very knowledgeable people.
Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee), Hahnville, LAJuly 6, 2015
Working at Dow has taught me a great deal. There is a wide range of equipment, from small to large pumps, blowers, compressors, steam and gas turbines, diesel engines, generators, etc. Dow champions learning for their employees and encourages each to become experts on various pieces of equipment.
Co-workers
Process / Project Engineer (Former Employee), Freeport, TXJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Excellent Training Provided
Cons: some outdated tools
Present of good co-workers to work together as a group by achieving a common purpose. The Dow Chemical Company is also a pacesetters for all other Chemical or Manufacturing Companies around the Globe.
Big company going through changes
Activity Coordinator / Maintenance Gatekeeper (Former Employee), Freeport TexasJuly 4, 2015
Good company to work for but their Global push is making them not only leader in the industry but also a not so family oriented company anymore.
Ok but not great
Lab Intern/ Co-op/Operator (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Cool people
Cons: Training is too rigorous
Depending where you live this may be the place for you. For me it was a struggle going over the bridge every day. The training dept. was the only thing I didn't care for. You basically had to learn everything on your own and then were brutally questioned on the information. Was told if I didn't pass I would loose some money.
A great company that creates a diversity and safety oriented culture.
Senior Analytical Technologist (Current Employee), Freeport, TXJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Diversity, inclusion, and safety.
Cons: CEO and Corporate Level Leadership
First level management and coworkers typically are professional and personable with little ego between them and good science. Dow fosters a learning environment both in safety and in cross-discipline training.

The most difficult part of the job is trying to understand the direction the CEO is taking the company and how it impacts one's job security.
Constant change
Activity Coordinator / Maintenance Gatekeeper (Former Employee), Freeport TexasJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Several locations
Cons: Huge company no personal feelings
Very good company to work for however it's growing so fast I feel many of tools necessary to have complete synergy are not in place.
Poor managers, refused to pay for required overtime
Tooling Designer and Engineer Core R&D (Former Employee), Midland, MIJune 30, 2015
Cons: No breaks, managers demanded OT be worked for free.
I worked in Core R&D and was responsible for Tooling Design since I have 30 years of experience, 3 years at Dow Chemical.

Very poor management to the point they are extremely inept and demonstrated no skill set. Basically none of Dow's managers could read tolerances or drawings despite being Mechanical Engineers. On several occasions I was overloaded with work while several others sat with no work for month and a few for years.. My manager Peter S. demanded that I work 20+ hours per week of over time, which I was later told that Dow would not pay me for because it was against their company policy.

I was reprimanded once for not working full time on one project, while I had 8 other projects that I was required to attend meetings for.

Management was very poor at even letting employee's readjust their schedule once or twice a year for things like doctor appointments. If I would need to take off work 1 hour early (this would ONLY happen 1 or 2 times per year) I would be reprimanded or my yearly raise review would say "Habitually Absent" and disciplinary action was always sought.

Managers also controlled when I could use my vacation time, which was never. Leaving me to always have to use it at their discretion every December.

There is a horrible culture at Dow of using departments to promote young employees into management through Six Sigma. With that structure there are managers with only 1 or 2 years of work experience that are "Senior" (insert job title)... It is horrible when they can't even read a ruler, yet get continuously promoted say in mechanical engineering.
Solid company
Benefits Team (Former Employee), Midland, MIJune 27, 2015
Solid company that is getting more progressive in HR practices making it less transactional HR and more strategic HR work.

1 2 3 4 5

About The Dow Chemical Company

Dow combines the power of science and technology to passionately innovate what is essential to human progress. The Company is – Read more

The Dow Chemical Company Salaries