The Dow Chemical Company

The Dow Chemical Company Employee Reviews

In general comments
Sr. Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 30, 2016
It was a very good place to work and it was very close to my home. Traffic is a big factor and I was able to work flexible hours to work around the traffic. I had a great piping lead that was very understanding, would definitely work for him again,
Pros
VARIABLE BREAKS & LUNCHES AS NEEDED
Cons
IT HAD TO END BEFORE I WANTED IT TO.
Management Rules
Worker (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXJuly 4, 2016
Do not report any issue with your supervisor. HR is not your friend. You will be moved and fired eventually. Claiming no position is available for you. Supervisor will black ball you so that no one else will want to hire you. Nothing you can do about a negative Performance Review even if it is untrue.
Powerhouse Solar Shingle
Solar Assembler (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIDecember 14, 2015
Enjoyed working in the Solar plant, brand new and had a voice on how we (workers) could lay out area that we were working in.
Pros
Benefits were very good.
Cons
Trying to move up or advance was difficult.
Sr. Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  Midland, MINovember 17, 2015
Good place to work. Very disciplined and process driven company. Compensation is nice but long working hours. Nice company to work for. Good learning platform for students graduating from college. Has history of exporting leaders to other companies.
Pros
Above average compensation
Cons
long working hours
Varied opportunities
Incident Management (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIAugust 8, 2016
Dow is a career-focused company, providing enough options and departments to allow employees to get a wide variety of experience throughout their years.
Good place overall
Supplier Document Control/Discipline Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 14, 2015
Good place to work overall. A bit disorganized. Management needs to stop the nepotism.

Great benefits and flex schedule. They definitely care about family.
Pros
Flex schedule and benefits
Cons
Disorganized
Great Place to work
Finance Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 28, 2016
I love working for Dow. The atmosphere and culture of the business is an environment that provides learning for all who work there. They also are knowledgeable of the importance of a work/ life balance. This makes it a great place to work.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Overall good company to work for
Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Texas City, TXAugust 7, 2016
Through Dow I was able to get extensive training, work on massive projects, work with highly capable people, and get pushed to my limit.
The hardest part involved being fully tied to equipment. If there was a failure then it is my job to be there to ensure that it gets up and running again. I greatly enjoy working with such skilled people who are so willing to help.
Take Safety and quality as a must. Good place to work
Machine Operator II (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEJune 22, 2016
Always got good reviews while I worked there did different jobs at the site. Willing to help were needed. The site also had were you could volunteer to different non profits. Management were good to work with. Always recognized employees for there work
good work environment
Quality Manager (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAAugust 20, 2016
The company believes in safety and is always number on priority of management. Company has immense amount of information available to increase your expertise.
Productive and a great work place
Crossing Guard, Fire/Hole Watch, Carpenter Helper (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXOctober 24, 2016
Productive and learning all types of safety in different environments.You meet a wide variety of people from all over the world.The co-workers are great.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
great career opportunity
Operator (Former Employee) –  Clear Lake, TXMarch 10, 2016
Great company to work for. Always one of the industries leaders in ideas and technology. Empowered employees , and safety is priority. Daily routine was to inspect and maintain running conditions in the process of making acrylic acid. The specific site I was at , during the time I was there was a much older facility. At that time management insisted on running our oldest reactors which caused us daily issues. Once that changed and new reactors and equipment was installed , the running conditions become much more manageable and simplified things a bit. The toughest part of that job was the physical aspect of it, turning valves, climbing towers, etc. I enjoy leaving at the end of the day knowing I put in a hard days work, although some of those hard days were due to the old equipment being used and that is no longer the case. Most of the individuals working out there are very knowledgeable about the process and easy to work with. Always helpful and informative when training.
no job security and political
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Midland, MINovember 9, 2015
separation of salary and hourly workers
no development or advancement opportunities to cross that gap
attempts to develop and do so are typically discouraged and opposed.
Don't be a contractor when layoffs come around.
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Midland, MIJuly 28, 2016
Don't be a contractor when layoffs come around. Even more experience, responsibility, and workload than new hires will not save you. Contractors in Dow Engineering Solutions have at least one thing better than Dow-direct employees in that there is more actual engineering and much less project-status-budget-detail-tracking-TPS reports.
Great Opportunities
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXMay 31, 2016
Excellent opportunity for growth. Dow Chemical is a growing company and invests in their employees to help them succeed in their chosen career.
Pros
Continue education.
Cons
Employees have little clicks.
very nice and clean place
Aircraft Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Freeland, MINovember 16, 2016
loved cleaning the planes every day and helping the technicians with some repairs was lots of fun. When i was there i learned a lot about the planes and how they worked and about what goes on in them while in flight.
Pros
clean and neat place
Fast paced place of employment
Process Operation Technician (Current Employee) –  Pittsburg, CAJune 14, 2016
The list of things I have learned at Dow is still growing. Running a batch plant and 2 separate constant running plants has opened my eyes to numerous things that I would have never thought of before just working a typical job. Hardest part of the job is trying to make sense of things based on trying to please everyone all at once
Pros
Great schedule
Cons
Overload of training's due each month, poor appreciation of employees
Great Place on Paper but Under-Resourced Creates Low Morale
Senior Environmental Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hahnville, LAMay 1, 2016
A typical day at work is fire-fighting more than usual because in addition to successfully delivering at a high level despite lack of resources, management in the environmental group often doesn't have experience in this field. The result is leadership that's out of touch with their staff's roles and responsibilities.
Research Scientist
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, TXNovember 18, 2016
I would not like to divulge any personal or professional opinion of this company on a public site. Thank you for the open platform and information, but my opinions will be kept private. Cheers
Dow is a company of dreamers, believers and solution providers. We offer long–term adventure and daily rewards along with the opportunity
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 12, 2015
. We expect and nurture leadership in every employee as we challenge each other to be the best. Our commitments include:

•Protecting the planet through responsible operations, unique collaborations, and the pursuit of breakthrough technologies aimed at solving world challenges.
•A workplace that thrives on employee development, proactive career feedback, health and wellness offerings, flexible work policies, diversity and inclusion, recognition and employee engagement.
•A creative, dynamic and friendly work environment that values diverse perspectives, is mutually respectful, and benefits from the vision and mentoring of leaders who rank among the best in the industry

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Dow Chemical Company. Our community is ready to answer.