The Dow Chemical Company

The Dow Chemical Company Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and allowed diversity
Workflow Specialist - TaTa Consultancy Services (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIJanuary 12, 2016
Days were very busy. I spent much time on the computer utilizing SAP and 3rd party web based programs. There was much emphasis on safety and the environment included continual change.change.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Layers of managers
Currently in a state of reorganization
Research Leader (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXJanuary 4, 2016
Some departments in Dow are very good. Many are not. I had some very good bosses, but most were not. In recent years it has been plagued with indecision and an almost constant state of reorganization.
Pros
Compensation is generally good.
Cons
Shifting goals
its was fun
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Seadrift, TXMay 23, 2016
very focused on safety. make sure that u show up to work and leave safely. also very clique tho. if you werent in the right clique you had problems
Project Coordination
Project Specialist, DAS Project Group (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXNovember 5, 2015
Manage the day to day activities of the permit writers, construction managers, and contractors in the field under the direction of the project manager. Insuring the safety and productivity of the project. Reviewing safety standards and work process' with each of the groups to make the most productive project possible,
Pros
With this large project came a great learning curve
Cons
Working with multiple disiplines with differing goals
It was a very good company to work for while I was there.
Patent Attorney (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXDecember 17, 2015
A typical day consisted of meeting with inventors and business managers to discuss patent matters or agreements, or responding to communications from the USPTO. Inventors, technical managers, and attorneys worked collaboratively to understand the business impact of a potential invention, as well as the technical features that made the invention unique, including the problem being solved. Attorneys worked independently to prepare legal responses, develop arguments to overcome rejections from the patent office. Co-workers were generally hard-working and supportive. The environment was overall friendly. The hardest part of the job was coordinating the corporate objectives sent from Midland Michigan with the local objectives of the Freeport, TX site.
Pros
Supportive working environment.
Cons
Occassionally disconnected from remote management in Midland.
HR high priority. Good benefits and good pay. Good bosses and co-workers.
Production Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seadrift, TXNovember 3, 2015
I appreciated being able to work under my own direction. The tasks to be completed were laid out and it was my responsibility to accomplish those tasks in the allotted time. I closed month production books using SAP R4 and Excel. I worked in Site Logistics shipping rail cars and package trucks. Respect and Responsibility towards co-workers and customers was a high priority. Many Safety Rules and Guidelines had to be followed and for good reason. I enjoyed my time at Dow but it was time to retire and have some time with my family.
Pros
Good for self motivated individual.
Cons
Heavy Work Load.
Productive & Steady Work Flow
DMS Document Administrator for Kelly Service's (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXNovember 3, 2015
Inside the plant libraries, there is always so much to do.
I work with plant documentation... Procedures, checklists, shipping records, equipment records and plant drawings. I interact with the business to make sure that the business is up to global standards.

Hardest part of my job is lifting 50 lb boxes into shelving units inside the library.
Most enjoyable part is working with a group of people who are willing and able to help out.
Pros
Good work environment and company get togethers
Cons
no matching 401k, or sick leave, benefits could be a lot better
Productive EM Division
Associate Chemist, (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, MANovember 1, 2015
Over all a great company to work and develop networking skills around a larger then life chemical company. You can have any number of experts help you with any project that you are struggling with in person or on a WebX meeting. Dow EM formally Rohm & Haas Electronic Material is a the forefront of Electrochemistry and open to new ideas & process improvements one hundred percent of the time.
Pros
Many, many great scientist and chemist there.
Cons
Market fluctuation driven industry
Contractor
Office Professional (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 15, 2016
I am a contractor for Dow. There are no benefits. They are mainly only hiring contractor because they do not want to pay benefits, vacation, 401K etc.
Good opportunities, lots do do / learn
Engineer (Current Employee) –  BarryJune 29, 2016
Good variety of work, good work / life balance, uncertainty over jobs with merge with Dow Chemical, well paid.
Small, dynamic company
Sr. Technician, M&E (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, MAApril 14, 2016
Nice, understanding management. Co-workers are great. Lab I work in is very clean as we test low concentrations of Metal contamination.
Excellent Work Environment
Sr. Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 9, 2016
Everyone is treated the same at Dow. Whether you are in an administrative position or a high level executive you are treated with kindness and respect.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Exciting 5 Years at Dow Chemical
Hydrogen Selenide (H2SE) Gas Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Weeks Island, LAJanuary 2, 2016
It was never a dull moment working there!!! I loved it...It is a very safe working environment. I had tons of support. working there keep me focused on tasks.
Pros
Plenty of time to self reflection
Cons
rotating shift work
Very productive
Utility Inspector (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 13, 2016
Very productive and schedule was always planned perfect. Always a full day of work but not too much. Worked on pump stations and mail line pipeline learned a lot about production facilities ect.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
away from home
Big corporation
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburg, CAMarch 1, 2016
There are a number of roles around the world to the qualities vary widely. Typical big corporation - decent benefits, above average job security, snails paces change culture.
A great place to begin my growth as a professional
Environmental Affairs Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 30, 2015
Grew as a professional by working in manufacturing of polymers and chemicals, moved into environmental affairs managing a tough regulatory period of our history which required facilitating a paradigm shift from the old way of managing chemicals and the environment to a new more closely watched managing business.
Large company with broad fields to do R&D
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXJanuary 4, 2016
Self directed work days.
R&D collaboration with researchers of various Dow businesses.
Management lets you do great things.
Excellent Technologist support staff
Ability to influence young researchers
Co-workers
Senior Project Leader/ Energy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Europe and Saudi ArabiaNovember 2, 2015
Enjoyed working with the company. Good people around and had lot of fun. Very cooperative and understanding. No discrimination and lot of opportunities for growth and development. It was full of challenges as I was involved in different project engineering and implementation
Pros
good benefits
Cons
vbery difficult to get higher positions
overall is a good place to work
Chemical Operator (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXNovember 3, 2015
Fast paced, challenging and rewarding every day.
Safety comes first.
Teamwork is a must.
Stress level is the most difficult part of the job.
Co-workers have a variety of personalities which creates a challenge day to day.
Management is seldom seen.
Customer satisfaction and going home safe is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Sr. Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  Midland, MINovember 17, 2015
Good place to work. Very disciplined and process driven company. Compensation is nice but long working hours. Nice company to work for. Good learning platform for students graduating from college. Has history of exporting leaders to other companies.
Pros
Above average compensation
Cons
long working hours

The Dow Chemical Company Reviews by Location