The Dow Chemical Company Employee Reviews

Good company
Senior Improvement Engineer (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXDecember 1, 2016
Ok place to work and develop. Job is flexible, opportunity to travel. Could be less hierarchical and while some places are micro managed others allow for plenty of breathing room
Great company to work for
Bulk Marine Planner (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXJanuary 4, 2017
Excellent opportunity to excel, especially for non-degreed people. Relocated from a foreign assignment and no jobs were available, or I'd still be there.
In general comments
Sr. Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 30, 2016
It was a very good place to work and it was very close to my home. Traffic is a big factor and I was able to work flexible hours to work around the traffic. I had a great piping lead that was very understanding, would definitely work for him again,
Pros
VARIABLE BREAKS & LUNCHES AS NEEDED
Cons
IT HAD TO END BEFORE I WANTED IT TO.
very nice and clean place
Aircraft Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Freeland, MINovember 16, 2016
loved cleaning the planes every day and helping the technicians with some repairs was lots of fun. When i was there i learned a lot about the planes and how they worked and about what goes on in them while in flight.
Pros
clean and neat place
Currently in a state of reorganization
Research Leader (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXJanuary 4, 2016
Some departments in Dow are very good. Many are not. I had some very good bosses, but most were not. In recent years it has been plagued with indecision and an almost constant state of reorganization.
Pros
Compensation is generally good.
Cons
Shifting goals
Productive and a great work place
Crossing Guard, Fire/Hole Watch, Carpenter Helper (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXOctober 24, 2016
Productive and learning all types of safety in different environments.You meet a wide variety of people from all over the world.The co-workers are great.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
grate place to work with good people to work with.
Work Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXJuly 11, 2016
working here is always a challenge with new thing that come up on a day to day. I have learned to use SAP to complete all of my jobs.
The management here is wonderful to work for along with all of my co-workers. This job is not that hard just takes time and to be able to go home knowing that I have given my all to complete all my jobs by the due date.
Exceptional safety awareness in this workplace
Chemical Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 26, 2015
Most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that my input was well received by upper management. The worst pat of the job was working in extreme environmental conditions. Hot summers, cold winters.

Typical day consisted of controlling all of inventory, resolving assorted issues and dealing with inventory and logistics management.

I gained in depth knowledge of EPA and DOT regulations, advanced safety awareness.
Pros
Solid, Successful and safe environment
Cons
Being in a salary job, overtime mandatory eventually makes your pay very short.
A great place to work, specially for Chemical Engineers
Network Security Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee) –  Midland, MichiganAugust 4, 2015
I had over 30 years of satisfying IT career with the company. While positions in Manufacturing and Research continue to be world class, IT roles have been reduced due to waves of outsourcing. IT Management roles; developing strategy and oversight of service providers, are few and well sought-after.
Pros
Competitive salary and compensation; emphasis on growth
Cons
Diminishing entry and mid-level IT roles
Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Freeland, MIAugust 22, 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed my years and Dow and was hoping to retire from there. Great co-workers and atmosphere. Allowed flexibility for family time and school.
Pros
Family first and flexible.
Cons
Management is self motivated.
Dynamic and challenging high specialized job
Lead Improvement Manager PU Packaging Adhesives (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2015
A place where you can develop yourself and support others to achieve required performance level.
I loved to have a global reach with different cultures and establishing connections inside and outside the business.
The company offers a great package of benefits.
People changes and politics have a big impact in the operation and challenge the organization.
Pros
Build it yourself mentality and great benefits
Cons
High politic environmental
Volatile
Environmental Health & Safety Tech (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXSeptember 14, 2015
A good place to work if you can keep your job. Good work performance reviews and work ethics is no guarantee of employment. I was acquired through an acquisition. I was never told my work quality or quantity was lacking. Always had good performance reviews but was told no longer a part of the new organization when I turned 52. Dow's business model is to perform a 10% purge every three years or so.
Pros
High salery, good benefits
Cons
Low job security
Dow is a company of dreamers, believers and solution providers. We offer long–term adventure and daily rewards along with the opportunity
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 12, 2015
. We expect and nurture leadership in every employee as we challenge each other to be the best. Our commitments include:

•Protecting the planet through responsible operations, unique collaborations, and the pursuit of breakthrough technologies aimed at solving world challenges.
•A workplace that thrives on employee development, proactive career feedback, health and wellness offerings, flexible work policies, diversity and inclusion, recognition and employee engagement.
•A creative, dynamic and friendly work environment that values diverse perspectives, is mutually respectful, and benefits from the vision and mentoring of leaders who rank among the best in the industry
Do not work here
Production Technician (Current Employee) –  DowSeptember 18, 2012
Unless you are desperate for a job, dont work at Prentiss. Management will grind down your moral so low that when you are driving to work you think about switching lanes and hitting one of the semis head on.. Its that bad. Bonus's are a performance award, (which if you do nothing wrong even send an email that can be perceived badly will be near zero) pay is good for a 4th class plant in central Alberta, but dont ever ask for a raise. They do send you on cool training trips to the states and such, but when you get back they scrutinize every receipt you have like you stole from them.

All in all, if you get a call to come work, dont even waste your time driving to the security shack and have yourself a beer instead
Pros
trips on company dime, decent pay, good crews
Cons
retards get promoted and paid better than you will, management plays favourites, they will do what they can to make you not want to come through the gate
Varied opportunities
Incident Management (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIAugust 8, 2016
Dow is a career-focused company, providing enough options and departments to allow employees to get a wide variety of experience throughout their years.
Co-workers
Senior Project Leader/ Energy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Europe and Saudi ArabiaNovember 2, 2015
Enjoyed working with the company. Good people around and had lot of fun. Very cooperative and understanding. No discrimination and lot of opportunities for growth and development. It was full of challenges as I was involved in different project engineering and implementation
Pros
good benefits
Cons
vbery difficult to get higher positions
good work environment
Quality Manager (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAAugust 20, 2016
The company believes in safety and is always number on priority of management. Company has immense amount of information available to increase your expertise.
Great Place to work
Finance Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 28, 2016
I love working for Dow. The atmosphere and culture of the business is an environment that provides learning for all who work there. They also are knowledgeable of the importance of a work/ life balance. This makes it a great place to work.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Overall good company to work for
Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Texas City, TXAugust 7, 2016
Through Dow I was able to get extensive training, work on massive projects, work with highly capable people, and get pushed to my limit.
The hardest part involved being fully tied to equipment. If there was a failure then it is my job to be there to ensure that it gets up and running again. I greatly enjoy working with such skilled people who are so willing to help.
Management Rules
Worker (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXJuly 4, 2016
Do not report any issue with your supervisor. HR is not your friend. You will be moved and fired eventually. Claiming no position is available for you. Supervisor will black ball you so that no one else will want to hire you. Nothing you can do about a negative Performance Review even if it is untrue.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Dow Chemical Company. Our community is ready to answer.

The Dow Chemical Company Reviews by Location