The Dow Chemical Company Employee Reviews in United States

Contractor
Office Professional (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 15, 2016
I am a contractor for Dow. There are no benefits. They are mainly only hiring contractor because they do not want to pay benefits, vacation, 401K etc.
Overall great place to work and multiple opportunities
Instrument and Electrical Technician (Current Employee) –  Clute, TXFebruary 15, 2016
Planning could improve throughout the company but it is a great place to work. Their concern for safety holds them up from being productive but they really care about their employees' safety.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Bad Planning
Small, dynamic company
Sr. Technician, M&E (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, MAApril 14, 2016
Nice, understanding management. Co-workers are great. Lab I work in is very clean as we test low concentrations of Metal contamination.
HR high priority. Good benefits and good pay. Good bosses and co-workers.
Production Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seadrift, TXNovember 3, 2015
I appreciated being able to work under my own direction. The tasks to be completed were laid out and it was my responsibility to accomplish those tasks in the allotted time. I closed month production books using SAP R4 and Excel. I worked in Site Logistics shipping rail cars and package trucks. Respect and Responsibility towards co-workers and customers was a high priority. Many Safety Rules and Guidelines had to be followed and for good reason. I enjoyed my time at Dow but it was time to retire and have some time with my family.
Pros
Good for self motivated individual.
Cons
Heavy Work Load.
A great place to work with chances to advance.
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXJanuary 6, 2015
You can learn and advance in this company. It has average pay and lower than average to start but chances for advancement are there afterwards. It is a safety oriented company. They are serious about safety. Best company I ever worked for.
Pros
good benefits, pay, and atmosphere
Cons
pay is average for chemical industry, rotating shifts, hourly workers environment varies with location in company
3rd year of transition from R&H to DOW
Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXJanuary 22, 2013
We hit the ground running and do not stop for 12 hours. Being a Batch process, there are many repetitive tasks performed daily. It is becoming increasingly impossible to achieve production goals due to the intense micro-management from the DOW administration. The process and production schedule is being sped up while continuously creating more paperwork/ computer work. Multi-tasking is a must, and as production employees leave and are not replaced, the workload is becoming increasingly more unachievable, impacting morale, resulting in more employees leaving, negatively affecting goals...
Pros
competitve pay and benefits
Cons
only 12 hours and under staffed trying to achieve higher goals than before
Overall good company...
Shift Activity Coordinator (Former Employee) –  GaMay 9, 2012
After working for DOW for ovver 11yrs, and working my way from an enrty-level postion to a Shift activity Co-ordinator the business I work for was sold. However during the sale DOW negotiated with the buyer to maintain current pay and benefits for atleast 2yrs. Dow provides advancement opportunities for those willing to take advantage of them. In the area I was the pay is phenomenal. Only downside that I found is there is a ton of bureacracy with in the company in addition to management not wanting to make critical decision and when they do they are not consistant.
Pros
pay
Cons
bureacracy
Horrible training program, toxic work environment
Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXJuly 17, 2015
Typical day as a process operator starts at 4am. Make shift relief and read logbooks, master task list, check emails, moc's and any other computer based Dow tasks that upper management seems to think are more important than anything else before 7am morning meeting. After wasting close to an hour on the computer that is shared with the other operators, you rush to make your rounds in your plant, check your equipment,collect and analyze your samples. Then with maybe 5 min to spare, your able to use the restroom before the daily morning meeting begins. Then the fun starts. Day staff and operations go around talking about the importance of the MOC's, EAT's, MyLearning modules, BBP's, and so on. Basically your told you have more paperwork and web-based work to do on top of doing your job as an actual Operator. After 45 min or so, you then proceed to issue and safe work permits to the contractors who have standing and waiting patiently for you to walk out and review the job scope of whatever they are trying to work on. After all the permits have been properly written it's usually time for lunch. Eat, then go outside and work, help out other operators if needed or whatever you can do to keep yourself out of Operations' crosshairs. It seems as if they get bored lying and backstabbing each other by 2PM, so they come into the control room or go outside( if the weather is nice) and look for something your doing to say is wrong, unsafe, not effective and so on....by 3 you start getting things prepared and finish up your tasks the next shift so they aren't stuck doing what you couldn't  more... do during the day because your being watched by numerous salary employees who most of which (not all, but most) want to critique your every move and tell the leaders that you're working unsafe. By 4, you're most likely trying to finish writing and checking the piles of unnecessary paperwork that you turn in so someone in operations can review over, trying to find something wrong with it. If lucky, you only stay 45 min to hour over (overtime) before you get to go home to your family. That is a typical day at Dow.

As for the pay, it's the lowest in the industry, no pension package, no retirement plan, only a 401K, the Union solid itself out to Dow, they have lost any swing or pull that it once had prior to 2007.
The "training program" for new operators is a joke. The time allowed to learn and actually know the job safely is not what one would call feasible. Most new hires take their training material home and study on their off time, as it is impossible to try and study during the day at the plant when there is so much work (and b.s paperwork) to be done. Only time at work you can study is on graveyards, if you have all your other web based work done that is.

Most people who come to Dow end up leaving for other companies for higher pay / less busy work or are ran off due to the toxic culture and lack of integrity from management staff.

Not every block is bad, but it seems like you hear same description as above when other Operators describe their particular block. If you find yourself working at Dow, learn what you can from the Senio Operators who know more than anyone else(and not paid what they are worth) and try to get hired elsewhere, as that seems to be the common trend these days. Work hard, help out your fellow Operators and watch eachothers backs and get out after a year or so.
Pros
Descent benefits, fellow operators are great guys
Cons
Management, pay, training program, hours away from family.
A very mismanaged company
Sr. Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXJanuary 16, 2014
I took this job because I thought it would be better for my family and it has been nothing but bad. The only good thing about working here is the 9/80 and flexible scheduling options, and the pay is not bad. However the insurance is mediocre and the 401K is not that good. They have some smart technicians and engineers but the management is terrible some are grossly incompetent. The culture is very passive aggressive and people will smile and laugh with you as they are stabbing you in the back.
Pros
Flex Schedule, Base Pay, Access to training
Cons
Terrible Management, Insurance, Bureaucracy Galore

Comment – December 31, 1969

I just hired on with them and this is my review to a T for this company. I am in the same job role

Safety cultured business, benefits and pay are average.
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXApril 12, 2015
Safety cultured business, benefits and pay are average. offers a chance to belong to union if interested. Most all the Employees I worked with as an Operator are kind, knowledgeable, and quick learners
Good Place To Work
Technical Advisor/Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILJune 13, 2012
Good atmosphere, with good people to work with. VERY safety oriented. The pay is very good for the area. Good benifits and retirement for salaried employee's. A very impowered work atmosphere. The plant in Charleston could make a very good profit for Dow if it did not have to abide by the same rules or constraints that the much larger Dow sites must abide by. One size does not fit all. The funny accounting that is done within Dow can devistate a small site like Charleston. Which it has and that is why it is closing the doors. Very sad, but loved the opprotunities I was given and enjoyed working in Charleston with some very talented people and I feel I gained a lot of transferable knowledge to take with me to another employer.
Pros
free lunches, great co-workers, good pay, safety is number 1, caring site leaders, good personal/work balance
Cons
union, hot!, upper management for dow is out of touch with the smaller plants, charleston site is closing, old equipment
Tdcc
Finance Technologist (Current Employee) –  Midland, MIJanuary 24, 2015
Overall, the TDCC is a good company to work for, but do not plan on advancing in position. The workload continues to increase and extra personnel is never added to alleviate the stressful workload. Good people to work with and understanding managers. But numbers are still very important to the final decision making.
Pros
decent pay and good benefits
Cons
no advancement and endless meetings
Fun place to work, but a lot of chemicals to deal with.
Works as water evaporator tech and EVA operator (Former Employee) –  5005 Barnard Mill Road, Ringwood, IL 60050May 16, 2014
I do not want to keep working in a chemical plant for my health. My long term health means more to me than a job that pays money and gives benefits. The place was full of nice people and there are ways to avoid chemicals, but o not want the thought of getting exposed. The older I get the more I realize that it is important to enjoy our time and this includes working. I never cared for the notion of just going to work and dealing with how much it might be dreadful. Now, I want to do something in a way to enjoy my talent. I was a great writer in college as a history major, but I just got away from that and distracted by life. I see how much better life can be when I explore my talents. Dow Chemical gave me a valuable life lesson, but it is time to move on.
Pros
people i worked with and friends i have made.
Cons
chemical exposure and shift changes.
Good pay but poor management structure
Operatoring Technician (Current Employee) –  Pittsburg, CAJanuary 22, 2015
Pay is very good and benefits are average. Formal training is somewhat self guided. 12 hours shifts 48-72 hours per week. Leadership has little to no formal management or HR training. Company has a tendency to say one thing but expect another. Resulting in a tense work environment where operators are blamed for things out of their control
Pros
pay
Cons
hours
Good benifits with ok pay
maintenance planner (Current Employee) –  Freeport,TxMay 19, 2015
The company is not bad to work for they have good benifits but pay is on the lower side, felt kinda Micro managed in day to day activities.. also seems to be who you know is how far you get.
good starting point
Distribution Operator (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXJanuary 24, 2015
It's ok to start and get an intro into the industry but there's alot of backstabbing, game playing, and manipulation from management amongst the union employees. Pay is decent. If you keep to yourself and do your job you should do fine
Pros
benefits, salary, retirement, safety
Cons
childish game playing, backstabbing, poor relationship between management and employees
Insane rotating shift schedule
Current position is as a quality lab technician (Current Employee) –  Midland MichiganMarch 1, 2015
7 nights in a row (12 hour weekends), then 48 hours to transition and be ready for 7 days in a row, then 5 afternoons.
Management seems disconnected from the realities of shift work.
Pros
benefits, performance awards
Cons
shift work, poor management
Great place to work with great people.
Developer / Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVAugust 30, 2014
Typical Day:
* Meet with clients, end users, and stake holders to flesh out design and testing plans for new software or software updates.
* Write and test code as well as document project progress.
* Rollout software, train users, support existing products.

What I've learned:
* Self and team management
* All stages of software development

Management:
I manage myself and I'm completely responsible for making sure that projects are functionally on target and delivered on time.

Hardest part of my job:
I've managed to build a great reputation as someone who can deliver robust solutions that go above and beyond expectations. This means that more and more people seek me out to help with their particular needs. At times I am unable to immediately take on all requests and that's always a little difficult for me. I would like to take on everything that comes my way as soon as I'm asked.

Most enjoyable part of my job:
By far the most enjoyable part of my job is when a user or owner contacts me just to tell me how helpful my applications are.
Pros
flexible schedule, creative freedom, good benefits, good pay, great people.
Cons
career / skill development could be a little better.
Excellent company to begin my career
Production Engineer III (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXAugust 15, 2014
Dow chemical was a great place to begin my career while learning the ins and outs of working in a chemical plant as a production engineer. I had a fantastic experience with the engineers, technical staff, and operators within my plant which made the day to day work enjoyable. From speaking with other engineers throughout the company your experience will vary widely depending on the plant you work in.
Pros
every other friday off, internal job board
Cons
pay could be better, benefits are good not great
Good safety culture, easy access to company safety regulations
Site HSE Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXDecember 5, 2015
Dow does a good job working with contractors on safety related issues. It has been my experience working with Dow safety personal, that the overall safety on all aspects of the project is first and foremost on everyones mind.
Pros
Knowledgeable and professional personal available at all times
Cons
No room for error when working in the plants

The Dow Chemical Company Reviews by Location