The Dow Chemical Company

The Dow Chemical Company Employee Reviews

Growing business
Analytical Technician, M&E (Former Employee) –  Plaquemine, LAAugust 4, 2016
Has many opportunities for growth. Benefits are great. Health insurance is one of a kind. People are great to work for and with.
Great Company to be part of
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 17, 2016
I enjoyed working for Dow Chemical at the HDC Location. I met and worked with several great people which was a great benefit while working on a large scale project.
Pros
Great Office Environment
Cons
Lack of company events
Great Opportunities
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXMay 31, 2016
Excellent opportunity for growth. Dow Chemical is a growing company and invests in their employees to help them succeed in their chosen career.
Pros
Continue education.
Cons
Employees have little clicks.
Great job- Great people
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasMarch 23, 2016
I was Purchasing Agent, Always busy- Loved the work- Your day would fly by. Everyone was great. I had such a variety of duties- Arkema bought out Dow and I was contract so I along with all contract employees lost their job.
Pros
Always busy- loved it !!
Cons
Contract and all contract employees lost job when Arkema purchased Dow.
Globa Reliability Leader (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJFebruary 12, 2016
Work life does have balance. Expect to be on call and handle more work than role description dictates.
Due to the nature of my global position I was in meetings during much of the day and into the night at times. The personnel/people were very helpful and willing to help where the could.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Some managers needs to do talent reviews to determine the proper talent for the position
well managed
Sadara Development Project (Texas) (Former Employee) –  texasApril 26, 2016
I spent over 3 months working on behalf of ABB for DOW in houston Texas as a documentation specialist.

It proved to be a welcoming and beneficial experience, well managed and well communicated environment.
Not too bad
I/E technician (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXMay 4, 2016
Simply put, its a great company if you have no family, or a family with grown kids. over all not too bad. good luck with the application/interview process.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
If youre good at your job you do everyone elses
Achievers thrive here
HR professional (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 3, 2016
There is not a boring day at Dow - if you like to achieve. Dow runs quite lean, which allows for a good deal of opportunity. Dow hires high quality people - with a great eye toward "nice". Respect and politeness are a part of the culture.
Pros
challenging work
Cons
work can take over your life; performance ratings are subjective
Good opportunities, lots do do / learn
Engineer (Current Employee) –  BarryJune 29, 2016
Good variety of work, good work / life balance, uncertainty over jobs with merge with Dow Chemical, well paid.
Dow Freeport was an enjoyable experience.
Mechanical Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXJanuary 19, 2016
Everyday at the Dow Freeport site provided new challenges.
I learned that no mater what we were faced with we could work together and overcome it efficiently and safely.
Management was a pleasure to work with, (Very Professional).
Co-workers were very helpful and easy to work with.
The hardest part of the job was saying goodbye when the job was completed. The most enjoyable part of the was the seamless unity between owner and contractor.
Optical Tech
Optical Technician (Former Employee) –  New Iberia, LAJanuary 15, 2016
• Supervised outside contractors to ensure fabricated orders are completed within specified time frame and ensure product dimensions are within customer’s specifications
• Set up and operated polishing machines, adjusted as necessary to obtain the best polishing action
• Demonstrated various measuring and testing procedures to achieve desired material specifications
• Established a procedure for fabricating zinc selenide based products to ensure traceability
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Pay
its was fun
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Seadrift, TXMay 23, 2016
very focused on safety. make sure that u show up to work and leave safely. also very clique tho. if you werent in the right clique you had problems
There are some great people, and opportunities to learn
Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Midland, MIFebruary 25, 2016
A typical day can vary greatly, and is part of what I enjoy about the company. Individuals are great to work with, and are very professional.
Pros
Great team atmosphere. Decent pay
Cons
Management is far removed from work being performed.
great career opportunity
Operator (Former Employee) –  Clear Lake, TXMarch 10, 2016
Great company to work for. Always one of the industries leaders in ideas and technology. Empowered employees , and safety is priority. Daily routine was to inspect and maintain running conditions in the process of making acrylic acid. The specific site I was at , during the time I was there was a much older facility. At that time management insisted on running our oldest reactors which caused us daily issues. Once that changed and new reactors and equipment was installed , the running conditions become much more manageable and simplified things a bit. The toughest part of that job was the physical aspect of it, turning valves, climbing towers, etc. I enjoy leaving at the end of the day knowing I put in a hard days work, although some of those hard days were due to the old equipment being used and that is no longer the case. Most of the individuals working out there are very knowledgeable about the process and easy to work with. Always helpful and informative when training.
Challenging and fun place to work
Run Plant Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  TexasDecember 28, 2015
Their intern program I every well executed and helps all students develop. We learned some basics, had a lot of LUNCH and LEARNS with leadership and got to see where we place ourselves in the company. I also made a lot of friends from different departments and plants.
Pros
A lot of free lunches, great company, great pay even for interns
Cons
They don't do 2 summer internships, but they do do co-ops.
Overall great place to work and multiple opportunities
Instrument and Electrical Technician (Current Employee) –  Clute, TXFebruary 15, 2016
Planning could improve throughout the company but it is a great place to work. Their concern for safety holds them up from being productive but they really care about their employees' safety.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Bad Planning
Solid company to work for.
application developer (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVJanuary 4, 2016
Dow is a good company to work for that genuinely strives to be a great company to work for. For me the best part of the job by far are the people I work with / for. Over the years it feels more like family than just co-workers.
Pros
Flexibility, autonomy, and a friendly, safe, professional working environment.
Cons
Sometimes difficult to get support or resources in certain areas.
A very satisfiying and rewarding career as a chemical engineer and plant manager.
Project Manager, Prod. and Maint. Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXMarch 7, 2016
Dow was a great company to work for with lots of advancement and personal development opportunities. I enjoyed most of my 21 1/2 years with them.
I have a passion for purchasing.
Strategic Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 3, 2015
A typical day for me is using strategy to source and manage the bid process. I've learned invaluable skills with tools, such as eSourcing, and also how to negotiate and procure the best price and quality product and services for the company. My leader gives me the freedom to plan and manage my projects and my day to day activities and I appreciate that. My co-workers are supportive and a joy to work with. The most important aspect of my job that is imperative for me going forward is the flexibility.

All in all, I have years of experience in manufacturing; however, I've discovered through my tenure in purchasing that that is what I am most passionate about and truly brings me the most joy.
Pros
Flex schedules
Good safety culture, easy access to company safety regulations
Site HSE Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXDecember 5, 2015
Dow does a good job working with contractors on safety related issues. It has been my experience working with Dow safety personal, that the overall safety on all aspects of the project is first and foremost on everyones mind.
Pros
Knowledgeable and professional personal available at all times
Cons
No room for error when working in the plants

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Dow Chemical Company. Our community is ready to answer.

The Dow Chemical Company Reviews by Location