The E. W. Scripps Company Employee Reviews

An ok place to work. Can be a bit clique-ish.
Analyst/HR Operations (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 29, 2016
Typical day at work: A lot of phone support and troubleshooting for a dozen different systems. Report writing. Planning for upcoming upgrades or new applications. Support of yearly Comp. Support of Annual Enrollment. etc.
What I learned: More about Comp & Benefits. Specifics about the applications used.
Management: Although they professed to be otherwise, most management basically just did what they wanted regardless of company initiatives, with seemingly no consequences. Often there were not a lot of "team players".
Co-workers: Pleasant people.
Hardest part of the job: Understanding your responsibilities.
Most enjoyable part of the job: Good location, nice facilities, convenient.
Pros
7.5 hour work day. / Work flexibility
The Scripps Company
Digital Customer Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 2, 2016
The Company is great and the people are awesome. This is a dream job which you have the opportunity to advance at your own pace one you have learned what you need to know in order to advance. Give light and the people will find their own way.
Pros
Empoyees, Employer
Cons
Job Security
Pretty good diverse environment, nice people
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHDecember 24, 2016
I am working as a research assistant and I am completely satisfied with all the conditions. If I continue my education at Ohio University, I would be happy to continue working there.
Wonderful
Production Specialist (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMarch 16, 2017
E.W. Scripps Company genuinely cares about shaping their employees into the best that they can be. The management has clear directions. The company has wonderful benefits.
Good company values, but not implemented at every location.
Integrated Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 7, 2016
Mid-level Management is more like a dictatorship. Because Sales Executives are 100% commission, it is difficult to make a reasonable wage when management is forcing sales development procedures on its sales staff that consistently prove to not work. Due to the roller coaster sales procedures that are changing daily, turn over in the KC stations is at an all-time high. Local management is volatile, reactionary and unwilling to explore solutions to obvious problems. An unfortunate attribute when there are employees trying to work hard at what they know how to do.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Nano management, 60+ hours weekly, low pay
management shaky at best
Air Talent (Former Employee) –  usaJune 4, 2016
$9 an hour for part time, full time staff held to a low standard and their performance showed that. Do not promote from within. Management lies regularly and will always side with their favorite no matter what the situation. Finally had to just walk away. Always felt like an outsider. Terrible company unless your direct supervisor likes you. Watch out if he or she doesn't.
Pros
air conditioned building
Cons
just about everything else
Scary after Merger
Sales (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 30, 2016
Merger was too big of a job for this company. They destroyed a good place to work. Now it's all corporate this that and new procedures that don't do anything but take up time.

Co-workers are great because we are all suffering together. Not a good place to work unless you like corporate paperwork.
Pros
Good Co-workers, seem to be investing in the station
Cons
Worst management ever, They brag they never worked in television but now they are running TV stations???
Think Twice before believing an offer
Account Manager/Sales (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 7, 2016
I was recruited to work in the Milwaukee radio division. The interview process was long and drawn out over about 5 weeks. In two cases scheduled interviews were postponed when I arrived at the office. No call ahead. That should have been my first clue that there was little respect for people's time. Another clue during the interview process were the vague answers when it came to compensation and advancement. While no promises were made, certain opportunities were implied. Despite the red flags I accepted a position. Within a month I realized it was NOT what I expected (or had been led to believe). Innovative or new ideas were shot down immediately. There was a small circle of "Good Ol' Boys" that managed the major accounts and leads. Management was locked behind closed doors 7 hours per day and unavailable. Sales goals were out of reach based on the horrible ratings performance of one of the stations. Roadblocks were placed in many areas that would make reaching goals all but impossible. Management was unwilling to listen. One manager was a master of re-directing failure on to his staff. Outright lies permeated the local radio division. Turnover became rampant, even among long-time account executives. .
Pros
Freedom that outside sales can bring
Cons
Poor management support, awful product, constantly changing initiatives
WCPO-TV Channel 9 Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 1, 2016
Helping customer grow their business was very rewarding, I learned that nobody really what's to spend extra money to promote their business, but understood it was necessary. Management and my co-worker really about the customer. The hardest part of the job was keeping all of your customers happy. The most enjoyable part of the job was when your customer realized how much you contributed to the growth.
Different culture
Sr Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 3, 2016
Difficult to advance unless you have an in with senior leadership. The business is not consistent with performance reviews, and increases.
Pros
The CEO provides a fresh fruit delivery every other week
Cons
Difficult culture
Great place to work!
Studio Technician (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 29, 2016
It is a fun and loving place to work everyday. They treat you like family. It has been my first professional job in television and I have learned a lot in my short time there.
great before merger
Senior Digital Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Camarillo, CADecember 27, 2015
scripps was good before the merger, after the merger, everything changed.

If you'd like to know more, I'd recommend checkinh out the website
Pros
opportunity
Cons
opportunity for advancement
The morale was bad, and had poor management with constant layoffs.
Key Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 8, 2015
My performance was impeccable while at the company. I earned two awards for merit and sales. I was promoted twice during my tenure & received great job reviews.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
A terrible place to work with bad morale and poor management.
Empty promises
Producer (Former Employee) –  FLMarch 5, 2015
Company seems to be getting worse as they try to sell employees on how much better it is getting. Taking desperate measures to - not always earn - but shove ratings points in their favor. Tossing endless amounts of responsibility and expectations on producers with little to no support or strategy to allow for more effective and efficient workflow as staffing gets slimmer.
Pros
Dress code, free food/snacks catered often, Skills development
Cons
Management, processes/procedures, desperate measures for ratings
Excellent place to work
Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 26, 2015
EW Scripps was voted one of the top places to work in Cincinnati. The culture is very diverse with a lot of creative, hard working people that care. Scripps is a media company that is tied to the local community. My job varied day-to-day. I purchased newsprint for all Scripps owned newspapers as well as approximately 100 non-Scripps newspapers. The goal was to ensure that all newsprint was ordered properly, received on time, inventory levels were sufficient, pricing was affordable and all things were billed and paid on time. The hardest part of the job was when the suppliers did not deliver on time. The most enjoyable part was working with a great group of co-workers, suppliers and clients.
Nice workplace with a nice group of people
Newspaper Producer (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 19, 2014
I was always able to come into work knowing I wouldn't have any annoying or rude customers. All communication is done through phone or email. I was able to work with people in California, Washington and all over Texas. I would have to say the hardest part of the job was managing deadlines, and the most enjoyable was being able to design for several different newspapers.
Pros
Occasional free food
Cons
Health insurance
Short circuted
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 6, 2014
well I was hired in early Oct. 2013 and laid off early Dec. 2013 so unfortunately I don't have much to go on but while there I was pleased with everyone I interacted with, the professionalism, the facilities and I'm saddened things didn't work out.. They simply decided the Monster.com Inside sales dept. was not nor would develop as they initially envisioned.
Pros
nice professional business environment
Cons
corp. decisions made by out of town spread sheeters
Terrible place to work.
Marketing Specialist in Classifieds (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INSeptember 23, 2012
Worked there over 2 years. Had a manager who lied, played favorites, and did not help in any way to help make personal goals on certain people. She had her dream team who.got her help in every way, HR at this place is a joke. Do not trust him..be WILL throw you under the bus.Do not believe when you are told he has an open door and to feel free to talk to him about anything. Another LIE. Never received a raise even after 2 years. Do not work at The Evansville Courier & Press is you have work ethics and morals.
Cons
no work ethics, poor pay, horrible management, managers lying to make their department look good on goals
Company is constantly changing due to nature of the newspaper industry.
Analyst (Current Employee) –  TennesseeFebruary 2, 2012
My start at E.W. Scripps was amazing until the newspapers in general started to lose revenue to online outlets. The structure of the company has always been very difficult due to autonomy of the newspaper properties. At times corporate seems to be more like contractors to the properties rather than an in house solution. My immediate management was amazing as were my coworkers. Upper management seems to be unsure of what to do in these difficult times.
Pros
middle management, worklife balance, overall atmosphere.
Cons
job security, poor business direction, constant changing of structure.
A company with awesome culture and values.
Accounting Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 24, 2012
Scripps is a company that is highly focused on the values of the company as well as those of their employees. I learned that a whole new world of accounting existed in the Newspaper Advertising industry. It really opened my eyes. The hardest part of my job was learning the *Newspaper Jargon*, the most enjoyable part of the job was how Scripps treated their employees. Many social gatherings and early releases to help build employee Morale.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The E. W. Scripps Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6