The E. W. Scripps Company Employee Reviews

Good company values, but not implemented at every location.
Integrated Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 7, 2016
Mid-level Management is more like a dictatorship. Because Sales Executives are 100% commission, it is difficult to make a reasonable wage when management is forcing sales development procedures on its sales staff that consistently prove to not work. Due to the roller coaster sales procedures that are changing daily, turn over in the KC stations is at an all-time high. Local management is volatile, reactionary and unwilling to explore solutions to obvious problems. An unfortunate attribute when there are employees trying to work hard at what they know how to do.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Nano management, 60+ hours weekly, low pay
Scary after Merger
Sales (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 30, 2016
Merger was too big of a job for this company. They destroyed a good place to work. Now it's all corporate this that and new procedures that don't do anything but take up time.

Co-workers are great because we are all suffering together. Not a good place to work unless you like corporate paperwork.
Pros
Good Co-workers, seem to be investing in the station
Cons
Worst management ever, They brag they never worked in television but now they are running TV stations???
WCPO-TV Channel 9 Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 1, 2016
Helping customer grow their business was very rewarding, I learned that nobody really what's to spend extra money to promote their business, but understood it was necessary. Management and my co-worker really about the customer. The hardest part of the job was keeping all of your customers happy. The most enjoyable part of the job was when your customer realized how much you contributed to the growth.
management shaky at best
Air Talent (Former Employee) –  usaJune 4, 2016
$9 an hour for part time, full time staff held to a low standard and their performance showed that. Do not promote from within. Management lies regularly and will always side with their favorite no matter what the situation. Finally had to just walk away. Always felt like an outsider. Terrible company unless your direct supervisor likes you. Watch out if he or she doesn't.
Pros
air conditioned building
Cons
just about everything else
great before merger
Senior Digital Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Camarillo, CADecember 27, 2015
scripps was good before the merger, after the merger, everything changed.

If you'd like to know more, I'd recommend checkinh out the website
Pros
opportunity
Cons
opportunity for advancement
The morale was bad, and had poor management with constant layoffs.
Key Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 8, 2015
My performance was impeccable while at the company. I earned two awards for merit and sales. I was promoted twice during my tenure & received great job reviews.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
A terrible place to work with bad morale and poor management.
Different culture
Sr Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 3, 2016
Difficult to advance unless you have an in with senior leadership. The business is not consistent with performance reviews, and increases.
Pros
The CEO provides a fresh fruit delivery every other week
Cons
Difficult culture
Give Light and the People Will Find Their Way
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 27, 2015
Employees are proud to work for the The E. W. Scripps Company. It provides a creative work environment. Every day there is something to learn. There are plenty of opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Employee Benefits
Horrible management, NO TEAM SPIRIT, Do not care about Customer Service
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJune 2, 2012
Scripps says they really care about their employees. However, they let each location run without any feedback from the employee level. Scripps corporate does not have a clue what goes on at their individual papers. Managers lie and tell employees to lie about their production numbers to make the location look better to corporate. Promotions are political not performance based. If you are looking for a company that values customer service, management that treats their employees fairly and a team environment, keep looking because this is a horrible place to work.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
horrible management, no team attitude, departments work against each other, constant turmoil.
Terrible place to work.
Marketing Specialist in Classifieds (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INSeptember 23, 2012
Worked there over 2 years. Had a manager who lied, played favorites, and did not help in any way to help make personal goals on certain people. She had her dream team who.got her help in every way, HR at this place is a joke. Do not trust him..be WILL throw you under the bus.Do not believe when you are told he has an open door and to feel free to talk to him about anything. Another LIE. Never received a raise even after 2 years. Do not work at The Evansville Courier & Press is you have work ethics and morals.
Cons
no work ethics, poor pay, horrible management, managers lying to make their department look good on goals
What have you done for me lately?
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Stuart, FLFebruary 11, 2013
If you are unfortunate enough to make the leap to this company be prepared for a rocky ride. Sales positions are entirely evaluated by revenue generation, with no merit given to the large amount of account maintenance that goes into the job. Management rewards you only when you outperform your peers, but gives no credit for doing your job day to day. I was laid-off after five months because I had only met goal twice, despite being thrust into a brand new role with no support or training available. It's good while it lasts...hope it lasts longer for you than it did for me.
Pros
good compensation and benefits
Cons
the worst management team i've ever worked with
Great place to work!
Studio Technician (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 29, 2016
It is a fun and loving place to work everyday. They treat you like family. It has been my first professional job in television and I have learned a lot in my short time there.
Company is constantly changing due to nature of the newspaper industry.
Analyst (Current Employee) –  TennesseeFebruary 2, 2012
My start at E.W. Scripps was amazing until the newspapers in general started to lose revenue to online outlets. The structure of the company has always been very difficult due to autonomy of the newspaper properties. At times corporate seems to be more like contractors to the properties rather than an in house solution. My immediate management was amazing as were my coworkers. Upper management seems to be unsure of what to do in these difficult times.
Pros
middle management, worklife balance, overall atmosphere.
Cons
job security, poor business direction, constant changing of structure.
Family friendly company with varied job tasks.
Advertising sales (Current Employee) –  Evansville, IndianaJanuary 24, 2013
I have worked at this company for a couple of years. The company is what you make of it like any other job. Have had the chance to do many tasks. Work with print, online, inserts, billing, copy writing, ad design, events and more. No 2 days are the same. Management depends on your "team ", but most managers are solid and great to work with.
Others say no raises, but that is not true, hard work is rewarded. Bonus goals are hard to reach though.
They understand that you have personal lives and never give you a problem with flex schedules and personal time requests. They try hard at team building. But for a communication company, they do fall short on communicating across the department at times.
Things change rapidly here which can be a con, but news reporting business is rapidly changing across the board and this company tries to be proactive in new tech and processes, which can make you feel a little yoyoed.
Cuts in staffing have made for extremely heavy workloads, which are made worse when management allows some workers fight new processes instead of making them get with the program. Or when they allow some employees to do what they want instead of what they should do.
Pros
great schedule, decent pay, good work environment, interesting work.
Cons
communication, layoffs, high bonus goals.
Productive and fun workplace
Asst. Program Director/ Music Director Power 96.5 (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOSeptember 15, 2015
My co-workers were the most enjoyable part of the job and the benefits were fine as well. Scripps is a reputable company.
Closed Captioning Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 21, 2013
I have enjoyed working at E.W. Scripps. A typical day is 3:30am-9am and I work alone under no supervison. I really enjoy working with people, the hardest part of this job is there is no communication with the outside world or co-workers whatsoever. The best part of this job is it has been a new learning experience for me. The management is great here, very organized and hard working.
Pros
benefits, caring, connected with employees
Cons
very isolated
Reputable company
Indy Hub Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 26, 2015
benefits
Empty promises
Producer (Former Employee) –  FLMarch 5, 2015
Company seems to be getting worse as they try to sell employees on how much better it is getting. Taking desperate measures to - not always earn - but shove ratings points in their favor. Tossing endless amounts of responsibility and expectations on producers with little to no support or strategy to allow for more effective and efficient workflow as staffing gets slimmer.
Pros
dress code, free food/snacks catered often, skills development
Cons
management, processes/procedures, desperate measures for ratings
Career benefical
Integrated Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 22, 2013
I can truly say I made the best career decision to start at the E.W. Scripps Company. They care about their employees and continue to grow as a company, thus resulting in more jobs.
Pros
career growth, free lunches, invested in your success management
Excellant company to work for
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stuart, FLAugust 13, 2013
At Scripps I started as a receptionist and worked my way up to Executive Administrative assistant over the course of 13 years. I did everything from answering multiple phone lines to handling walk in customers for advertising and also classified. Management was always around if any problems arose and swiftly had a solution. Worked with a great group of people that were very diversified. When I went to the internet side I couldn't believe have alive it was and so new and exciting. Hardest part of my job was having to take an obituary from a grieving family. Best part of my job was that I loved all the hub bub. I also received an award for being an outstanding employee which made my years there so rewarding. When I was offered an early retirement package I accepted with almost a sadness having to leave such a great job.
Pros
great company and people
Cons
sometimes grueling days.....

2.5