The E. W. Scripps Company Employee Reviews

WCPO-TV Channel 9 Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 1, 2016
Helping customer grow their business was very rewarding, I learned that nobody really what's to spend extra money to promote their business, but understood it was necessary. Management and my co-worker really about the customer. The hardest part of the job was keeping all of your customers happy. The most enjoyable part of the job was when your customer realized how much you contributed to the growth.
Great place to work!
Studio Technician (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 29, 2016
It is a fun and loving place to work everyday. They treat you like family. It has been my first professional job in television and I have learned a lot in my short time there.
great before merger
Senior Digital Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Camarillo, CADecember 27, 2015
scripps was good before the merger, after the merger, everything changed.

If you'd like to know more, I'd recommend checkinh out the website
Pros
opportunity
Cons
opportunity for advancement
Productive and fun workplace
Asst. Program Director/ Music Director Power 96.5 (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOSeptember 15, 2015
My co-workers were the most enjoyable part of the job and the benefits were fine as well. Scripps is a reputable company.
The morale was bad, and had poor management with constant layoffs.
Key Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 8, 2015
My performance was impeccable while at the company. I earned two awards for merit and sales. I was promoted twice during my tenure & received great job reviews.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
A terrible place to work with bad morale and poor management.
Give Light and the People Will Find Their Way
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 27, 2015
Employees are proud to work for the The E. W. Scripps Company. It provides a creative work environment. Every day there is something to learn. There are plenty of opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Employee Benefits
Reputable company
Indy Hub Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 26, 2015
benefits
A Great Place To Work
Account Manager, WLWK-FM (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 18, 2015
E.W. Scripps is an outstanding company to work for. Their commitment to employees and customers is exemplary. Scripps has every aspect of their company buttoned down, from communication with staff to systems that are well thought out and implemented.
A nice place to work in a challenging business
IT professional (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati ohApril 22, 2015
A very good place to work where people tend to stay with the company much longer than I have seen at other companies. This can lead to limited advancement opportunities
Excellent Work Autonomy
PROJECT MANAGER OF POLITICAL & ADVOCACY MEDIA (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 9, 2015
My current role operates in cycles that correspond to Presidential & Mid-term political election years. My office is tasked with maximizing revenue within the political & advocacy space across 14 national broadcast television markets. Therefore within the office's peak years, I am charged with managing a considerable number of accounts and financial oversight of lofty budgets within very aggressive & condensed business cycles. I spend a great deal of time conferencing and giving direction to our business/finance managers at the TV property level. My acumen for multi tasking and prioritizing has significantly increased with my time at Scripps Media. My role requires that I consider my own internal budget along with fully considering the budgets and objectives of our agency partners.

During off-peak years, my role primarily revolves around working with our agency partners to address account reconciliations and full internal account auditing of business managed in previous years, balancing accounts, and firming up relationships to ensure good shares of business in approaching peak business years.

The work pace is accelerated and account volume is considerable, however I'm given great latitude and autonomy in my work, which has been pivotal in my excelling for the company within this role. My direct supervisor and I have a wonderful working relationship that centers around mutual respect and trust for each others work product and our respective roles within the office operations.

I am thankful for my time with the E.W. Scripps company. I have certainly grown as a professional
  more... and congruently, the company has allowed my role to evolve and expand as I've evolved professionally.

The most difficult part of my job is how intense the peak years can be operationally. It requires a great deal of focus, an eye for detail, good account management and monitoring skills, and the ability to make quick decisions as our business cycles are more condensed than traditional business cycles.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the working relationship with my direct supervisor. I've learned a great deal about managing teams by virtue of how he manages my role and the overall office; this dynamic relationship is the reason our office has been so successful since its inception & launch in 2010, and why we continue to surpass the market and overall company's expectations of our office.
Pros
exceptional latitude and work autonomy
Cons
cyclical business with intense business cycles
Empty promises
Producer (Former Employee) –  FLMarch 5, 2015
Company seems to be getting worse as they try to sell employees on how much better it is getting. Taking desperate measures to - not always earn - but shove ratings points in their favor. Tossing endless amounts of responsibility and expectations on producers with little to no support or strategy to allow for more effective and efficient workflow as staffing gets slimmer.
Pros
dress code, free food/snacks catered often, skills development
Cons
management, processes/procedures, desperate measures for ratings
Decent workplace, but lacks enough assignments.
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitsap SunJanuary 24, 2015
The work place altered recently with how District Managers functioned. The system is in flux lately, which is helping the needs of the industry. The structure seems to lack District Managers input. Where the District Manager is a desk jockey for the most part because this location has contracted Distributors, and they contract the carriers. So with this newspaper circulation department a District Manager is a overpaid Customer Service Representative. Another issue is lack of working assignments. The working hours are 5am to 1pm weekdays and 3am to 11am weekends. During the weekday there is usually nothing to do from 1030am to 1pm. So time is boring, and lags during this time block. One can only surf the internet for so long a day.
Pros
work/home life, friendly coworkers, great publisher
Cons
lack of work, opinions, voice, and communication
A great organization.
Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  CincinnatiJanuary 19, 2015
The atmosphere is one of "family". Everyone knows all by their first names, including the top management.

A casual work environment.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
downtown parking
What you learned
AUDIENCE DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Anderson, SCJanuary 12, 2015
Communication is key in all channels print, verbally and digitally.
Fast Paced Newspaper Division
Sales Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Camarillo, CAJanuary 3, 2015
Was fast paced and a lot to do to get the day to day.

The people were great. I enjoyed working there.
Leading News & Information Company
National Digital Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 13, 2014
Leading multimedia news & information company focused on developing solutions for clients.
Nice workplace with a nice group of people
Newspaper Producer (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 19, 2014
I was always able to come into work knowing I wouldn't have any annoying or rude customers. All communication is done through phone or email. I was able to work with people in California, Washington and all over Texas. I would have to say the hardest part of the job was managing deadlines, and the most enjoyable was being able to design for several different newspapers.
Pros
occasional free food
Cons
health insurance
Productive, energetic, "go after it" attitude.
Director of Circulation, Sales (Current Employee) –  Redding, CAJune 1, 2014
It has been a good place to work as individuals use skills, are motivated to learn new skills and teamwork is made a priority.
Pros
co-workers feel like they work with family (in a good way)
Cons
tough being a newspaper in this day and age couple with the economy.
Short circuted
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 6, 2014
well I was hired in early Oct. 2013 and laid off early Dec. 2013 so unfortunately I don't have much to go on but while there I was pleased with everyone I interacted with, the professionalism, the facilities and I'm saddened things didn't work out.. They simply decided the Monster.com Inside sales dept. was not nor would develop as they initially envisioned.
Pros
nice professional business environment
Cons
corp. decisions made by out of town spread sheeters
Career benefical
Integrated Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 22, 2013
I can truly say I made the best career decision to start at the E.W. Scripps Company. They care about their employees and continue to grow as a company, thus resulting in more jobs.
Pros
career growth, free lunches, invested in your success management