The E. W. Scripps Company Employee Reviews

You are better than this!
Account Manager/Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 4, 2017
As a sales department we are highly micro managed by a team of inept and bumbling local managers. Days start at 8am with a sales meeting and end sometime after 5pm with another meeting. These meetings are essentially sessions where our skills and motivation are questioned regarding closing business for the day. Management here has many theories on how things should work in programing and sales, but nothing that has been proven to actually work.The culture is one of placing blame and belittling the staff. The hardest part of this job is the constant change in priorities, packages, special rates and trying to explain to customers WHY they should buy ads on two failing radio stations. Use extreme caution if you interview here. For some, it may be a good start. For others, a living nightmare.
Pros
Nice facility, reasonable benefits
Cons
Poor management, micro managemnt, declining ratings
Run for the hills
Newsroom (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMarch 30, 2017
Avoid this place. It will kill your dreams.
There is NO work/life balance. Managers play favorites. They don't promote from within. Management is a high-functioning mess. Everyday, more and more, we are encouraged to ditch the journalism for lower quality work, i.e. click bait. They have a long list of vacancies and what is quickly becoming a revolving door.
Pros
Top-rated station
Cons
Poor benefits, bad healthcare
Wonderful
Production Specialist (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMarch 16, 2017
E.W. Scripps Company genuinely cares about shaping their employees into the best that they can be. The management has clear directions. The company has wonderful benefits.
Great opportunities to learn new skills
Director of Community Investments (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati OHFebruary 28, 2017
Advancing in other departments is strongly encouraged. Many opportunities to learn and grow in different departments.
Pretty good diverse environment, nice people
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHDecember 24, 2016
I am working as a research assistant and I am completely satisfied with all the conditions. If I continue my education at Ohio University, I would be happy to continue working there.
Think Twice before believing an offer
Account Manager/Sales (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 7, 2016
I was recruited to work in the Milwaukee radio division. The interview process was long and drawn out over about 5 weeks. In two cases scheduled interviews were postponed when I arrived at the office. No call ahead. That should have been my first clue that there was little respect for people's time. Another clue during the interview process were the vague answers when it came to compensation and advancement. While no promises were made, certain opportunities were implied. Despite the red flags I accepted a position. Within a month I realized it was NOT what I expected (or had been led to believe). Innovative or new ideas were shot down immediately. There was a small circle of "Good Ol' Boys" that managed the major accounts and leads. Management was locked behind closed doors 7 hours per day and unavailable. Sales goals were out of reach based on the horrible ratings performance of one of the stations. Roadblocks were placed in many areas that would make reaching goals all but impossible. Management was unwilling to listen. One manager was a master of re-directing failure on to his staff. Outright lies permeated the local radio division. Turnover became rampant, even among long-time account executives. .
Pros
Freedom that outside sales can bring
Cons
Poor management support, awful product, constantly changing initiatives
The Scripps Company
Digital Customer Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 2, 2016
The Company is great and the people are awesome. This is a dream job which you have the opportunity to advance at your own pace one you have learned what you need to know in order to advance. Give light and the people will find their own way.
Pros
Empoyees, Employer
Cons
Job Security
An ok place to work. Can be a bit clique-ish.
Analyst/HR Operations (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 29, 2016
Typical day at work: A lot of phone support and troubleshooting for a dozen different systems. Report writing. Planning for upcoming upgrades or new applications. Support of yearly Comp. Support of Annual Enrollment. etc.
What I learned: More about Comp & Benefits. Specifics about the applications used.
Management: Although they professed to be otherwise, most management basically just did what they wanted regardless of company initiatives, with seemingly no consequences. Often there were not a lot of "team players".
Co-workers: Pleasant people.
Hardest part of the job: Understanding your responsibilities.
Most enjoyable part of the job: Good location, nice facilities, convenient.
Pros
7.5 hour work day. / Work flexibility
Good company values, but not implemented at every location.
Integrated Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 7, 2016
Mid-level Management is more like a dictatorship. Because Sales Executives are 100% commission, it is difficult to make a reasonable wage when management is forcing sales development procedures on its sales staff that consistently prove to not work. Due to the roller coaster sales procedures that are changing daily, turn over in the KC stations is at an all-time high. Local management is volatile, reactionary and unwilling to explore solutions to obvious problems. An unfortunate attribute when there are employees trying to work hard at what they know how to do.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Nano management, 60+ hours weekly, low pay
management shaky at best
Air Talent (Former Employee) –  usaJune 4, 2016
$9 an hour for part time, full time staff held to a low standard and their performance showed that. Do not promote from within. Management lies regularly and will always side with their favorite no matter what the situation. Finally had to just walk away. Always felt like an outsider. Terrible company unless your direct supervisor likes you. Watch out if he or she doesn't.
Pros
air conditioned building
Cons
just about everything else
Different culture
Sr Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 3, 2016
Difficult to advance unless you have an in with senior leadership. The business is not consistent with performance reviews, and increases.
Pros
The CEO provides a fresh fruit delivery every other week
Cons
Difficult culture
Scary after Merger
Sales (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 30, 2016
Merger was too big of a job for this company. They destroyed a good place to work. Now it's all corporate this that and new procedures that don't do anything but take up time.

Co-workers are great because we are all suffering together. Not a good place to work unless you like corporate paperwork.
Pros
Good Co-workers, seem to be investing in the station
Cons
Worst management ever, They brag they never worked in television but now they are running TV stations???
WCPO-TV Channel 9 Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 1, 2016
Helping customer grow their business was very rewarding, I learned that nobody really what's to spend extra money to promote their business, but understood it was necessary. Management and my co-worker really about the customer. The hardest part of the job was keeping all of your customers happy. The most enjoyable part of the job was when your customer realized how much you contributed to the growth.
Great place to work!
Studio Technician (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 29, 2016
It is a fun and loving place to work everyday. They treat you like family. It has been my first professional job in television and I have learned a lot in my short time there.
great before merger
Senior Digital Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Camarillo, CADecember 27, 2015
scripps was good before the merger, after the merger, everything changed.

If you'd like to know more, I'd recommend checkinh out the website
Pros
opportunity
Cons
opportunity for advancement
Productive and fun workplace
Asst. Program Director/ Music Director Power 96.5 (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOSeptember 15, 2015
My co-workers were the most enjoyable part of the job and the benefits were fine as well. Scripps is a reputable company.
The morale was bad, and had poor management with constant layoffs.
Key Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 8, 2015
My performance was impeccable while at the company. I earned two awards for merit and sales. I was promoted twice during my tenure & received great job reviews.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
A terrible place to work with bad morale and poor management.
Give Light and the People Will Find Their Way
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 27, 2015
Employees are proud to work for the The E. W. Scripps Company. It provides a creative work environment. Every day there is something to learn. There are plenty of opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Employee Benefits
Reputable company
Indy Hub Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 26, 2015
benefits
A Great Place To Work
Account Manager, WLWK-FM (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 18, 2015
E.W. Scripps is an outstanding company to work for. Their commitment to employees and customers is exemplary. Scripps has every aspect of their company buttoned down, from communication with staff to systems that are well thought out and implemented.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The E. W. Scripps Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6