The E. W. Scripps Company Employee Reviews in United States

Good company values, but not implemented at every location.
Integrated Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 7, 2016
Mid-level Management is more like a dictatorship. Because Sales Executives are 100% commission, it is difficult to make a reasonable wage when management is forcing sales development procedures on its sales staff that consistently prove to not work. Due to the roller coaster sales procedures that are changing daily, turn over in the KC stations is at an all-time high. Local management is volatile, reactionary and unwilling to explore solutions to obvious problems. An unfortunate attribute when there are employees trying to work hard at what they know how to do.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Nano management, 60+ hours weekly, low pay
management shaky at best
Air Talent (Former Employee) –  usaJune 4, 2016
$9 an hour for part time, full time staff held to a low standard and their performance showed that. Do not promote from within. Management lies regularly and will always side with their favorite no matter what the situation. Finally had to just walk away. Always felt like an outsider. Terrible company unless your direct supervisor likes you. Watch out if he or she doesn't.
Pros
air conditioned building
Cons
just about everything else
Scary after Merger
Sales (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 30, 2016
Merger was too big of a job for this company. They destroyed a good place to work. Now it's all corporate this that and new procedures that don't do anything but take up time.

Co-workers are great because we are all suffering together. Not a good place to work unless you like corporate paperwork.
Pros
Good Co-workers, seem to be investing in the station
Cons
Worst management ever, They brag they never worked in television but now they are running TV stations???
WCPO-TV Channel 9 Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 1, 2016
Helping customer grow their business was very rewarding, I learned that nobody really what's to spend extra money to promote their business, but understood it was necessary. Management and my co-worker really about the customer. The hardest part of the job was keeping all of your customers happy. The most enjoyable part of the job was when your customer realized how much you contributed to the growth.
Different culture
Sr Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 3, 2016
Difficult to advance unless you have an in with senior leadership. The business is not consistent with performance reviews, and increases.
Pros
The CEO provides a fresh fruit delivery every other week
Cons
Difficult culture
Great place to work!
Studio Technician (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 29, 2016
It is a fun and loving place to work everyday. They treat you like family. It has been my first professional job in television and I have learned a lot in my short time there.
great before merger
Senior Digital Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Camarillo, CADecember 27, 2015
scripps was good before the merger, after the merger, everything changed.

If you'd like to know more, I'd recommend checkinh out the website
Pros
opportunity
Cons
opportunity for advancement
The morale was bad, and had poor management with constant layoffs.
Key Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 8, 2015
My performance was impeccable while at the company. I earned two awards for merit and sales. I was promoted twice during my tenure & received great job reviews.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
A terrible place to work with bad morale and poor management.
Give Light and the People Will Find Their Way
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 27, 2015
Employees are proud to work for the The E. W. Scripps Company. It provides a creative work environment. Every day there is something to learn. There are plenty of opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Employee Benefits
Productive and fun workplace
Asst. Program Director/ Music Director Power 96.5 (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOSeptember 15, 2015
My co-workers were the most enjoyable part of the job and the benefits were fine as well. Scripps is a reputable company.
Empty promises
Producer (Former Employee) –  FLMarch 5, 2015
Company seems to be getting worse as they try to sell employees on how much better it is getting. Taking desperate measures to - not always earn - but shove ratings points in their favor. Tossing endless amounts of responsibility and expectations on producers with little to no support or strategy to allow for more effective and efficient workflow as staffing gets slimmer.
Pros
dress code, free food/snacks catered often, skills development
Cons
management, processes/procedures, desperate measures for ratings
A Great Place To Work
Account Manager, WLWK-FM (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 18, 2015
E.W. Scripps is an outstanding company to work for. Their commitment to employees and customers is exemplary. Scripps has every aspect of their company buttoned down, from communication with staff to systems that are well thought out and implemented.
Reputable company
Indy Hub Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 26, 2015
benefits
Decent workplace, but lacks enough assignments.
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitsap SunJanuary 24, 2015
The work place altered recently with how District Managers functioned. The system is in flux lately, which is helping the needs of the industry. The structure seems to lack District Managers input. Where the District Manager is a desk jockey for the most part because this location has contracted Distributors, and they contract the carriers. So with this newspaper circulation department a District Manager is a overpaid Customer Service Representative. Another issue is lack of working assignments. The working hours are 5am to 1pm weekdays and 3am to 11am weekends. During the weekday there is usually nothing to do from 1030am to 1pm. So time is boring, and lags during this time block. One can only surf the internet for so long a day.
Pros
work/home life, friendly coworkers, great publisher
Cons
lack of work, opinions, voice, and communication
Nice workplace with a nice group of people
Newspaper Producer (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 19, 2014
I was always able to come into work knowing I wouldn't have any annoying or rude customers. All communication is done through phone or email. I was able to work with people in California, Washington and all over Texas. I would have to say the hardest part of the job was managing deadlines, and the most enjoyable was being able to design for several different newspapers.
Pros
occasional free food
Cons
health insurance
Short circuted
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 6, 2014
well I was hired in early Oct. 2013 and laid off early Dec. 2013 so unfortunately I don't have much to go on but while there I was pleased with everyone I interacted with, the professionalism, the facilities and I'm saddened things didn't work out.. They simply decided the Monster.com Inside sales dept. was not nor would develop as they initially envisioned.
Pros
nice professional business environment
Cons
corp. decisions made by out of town spread sheeters
Terrible place to work.
Marketing Specialist in Classifieds (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INSeptember 23, 2012
Worked there over 2 years. Had a manager who lied, played favorites, and did not help in any way to help make personal goals on certain people. She had her dream team who.got her help in every way, HR at this place is a joke. Do not trust him..be WILL throw you under the bus.Do not believe when you are told he has an open door and to feel free to talk to him about anything. Another LIE. Never received a raise even after 2 years. Do not work at The Evansville Courier & Press is you have work ethics and morals.
Cons
no work ethics, poor pay, horrible management, managers lying to make their department look good on goals
Company is constantly changing due to nature of the newspaper industry.
Analyst (Current Employee) –  TennesseeFebruary 2, 2012
My start at E.W. Scripps was amazing until the newspapers in general started to lose revenue to online outlets. The structure of the company has always been very difficult due to autonomy of the newspaper properties. At times corporate seems to be more like contractors to the properties rather than an in house solution. My immediate management was amazing as were my coworkers. Upper management seems to be unsure of what to do in these difficult times.
Pros
middle management, worklife balance, overall atmosphere.
Cons
job security, poor business direction, constant changing of structure.
A company with awesome culture and values.
Accounting Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 24, 2012
Scripps is a company that is highly focused on the values of the company as well as those of their employees. I learned that a whole new world of accounting existed in the Newspaper Advertising industry. It really opened my eyes. The hardest part of my job was learning the *Newspaper Jargon*, the most enjoyable part of the job was how Scripps treated their employees. Many social gatherings and early releases to help build employee Morale.
What have you done for me lately?
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Stuart, FLFebruary 11, 2013
If you are unfortunate enough to make the leap to this company be prepared for a rocky ride. Sales positions are entirely evaluated by revenue generation, with no merit given to the large amount of account maintenance that goes into the job. Management rewards you only when you outperform your peers, but gives no credit for doing your job day to day. I was laid-off after five months because I had only met goal twice, despite being thrust into a brand new role with no support or training available. It's good while it lasts...hope it lasts longer for you than it did for me.
Pros
good compensation and benefits
Cons
the worst management team i've ever worked with

2.5