The Economist Group

The Economist Group Employee Reviews

Fantastic Brand Highly Respected with clients and users
Integrated Sales Executive Global Advertising (Former Employee), New York City, NYNovember 5, 2013
Pros: thought leader. strong recognition and value amongst world leaders.
Cons: layoffs were made rather short sighted affecting client relationships
I was part of a building experience with The Economist brand in the US, doubling the exposure of The Economist in the US from 2000-2012. We created and sold multi-million dollar promotional packages to major clients like GE, Chevron, Oracle, Accenture and many others. Our managers understood the unique value of the brand and were very good at communicating these values in the marketplace.
Review on the Economist Group
HUMAN RESOURCE CONSULTANT (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 14, 2013
Pros: great working environment
Cons: the e-mail system doesn't work well
As the Human Resources Consultant I’m responsible for delivering all facets of recruiting success throughout the organization. I play a critical role in ensuring the highest qualified candidate is selected.
interesting work, schizophrenic strategy, clueless mgmt, backstabbing culture
EIU Editorial (Former Employee), New York NYApril 16, 2013
Pros: interesting research projects.
Cons: when things go wrong, you're left to hang in the wind
I worked in the Thought Leadership group, which does sponsored research - surveys and written reports - for large corporations and agencies.

There is a constant battle between what clients want in the reports and what a report carrying the EIU (Economist) brand is permitted to say. When the two sides disagree, the editor is left hanging in the wind. The rules are arbitrary, inconsistently enforced, – more... and often based on ignorance of the subject matter and an assumption that the client is always wrong. The company's divisions are toxic along multiple dimensions: client vs editorial, editorial vs sales, magazine vs commercial, New York vs London, management vs line, editorial leadership vs editorial rank and file.

In terms of digital capabilities, welcome to the 1990s. You'll feel like you're working for your grandfather. – less
Cutthroat and disingenuous
Advertising Sales Executive (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 1, 2012
Pros: great benefits, generous expense account, great brand to work for
Cons: terrible, naive, and aloof management, no mentoring relationships, and less than transparent management team
Fanfare and excitement when I arrived turned into a toxic work environment with little to no communication, zero continuing education and training, and zero commitment to employee morale.

Compensation and benefits are absolutely top-notch, but at what cost???