The Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society

The Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society Employee Reviews in United States

Pay is low! Unqualified Administrators
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  DeLand, FLJune 11, 2016
I worked for the GSS in DeLand, FL. They promote people into key positions that have no place being there! The pay is terrible!
Pros
Not for Profit
Cons
Pay is low. Incompetent management.
Best Nursing Home EVER
CNA/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Howard Lake, MNFebruary 1, 2016
I truly enjoyed my job at Good Sam. It was the cleanest nursing home I've ever seen. I would gladly put my family there and I would gladly work there again, There was expected staffing problems as there is everywhere in the health care field.
poor poor poor
house (Former Employee) –  ptownJanuary 13, 2016
It not a friendly place, they treat you like trash. I wouldn't take my dog there.the only thing they care about is to cut back and try to save..They don't care how much time it takes to help the residents. Cut cut cut. Treat them like trash, toss salad shop shop shop😣😣😣😣
Pros
you be lucky to get your breaks😮😮
Recommend this place to work
good-sam.com (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDDecember 11, 2015
PLEASED to have been given the opportunity to work here. The mission, community and driven support make this a win-win place to work.
✋Be careful!
former employee (Former Employee) –  Arlington, OHDecember 7, 2015
I have been in the professional career force for 25+ years, staffing is horrible, high turnover rate, State violations, employees treat resident horrible and disrespects that this is there home, building is old and needs major repairs if not needed type down. Management and administrator threatens, bullies and talks about other employees being their backs. Poor work ethics from the administrator. They push Christianity and there mission statement although the management, administrator and employees can't seem to figure out what that means. There is no communication from the management or administrator, makes a multitude of mistakes and blames everyone else. Takes no reasonably.
Pros
Residents
Cons
everything from management to the administrator. Poverty wages!
very poor management, beware
CNA (Former Employee) –  Kaneohe, HIDecember 3, 2015
Hawaii SNF is as bad as FL.... Great residents... Great coworkers..
But
Management is a total tragedy
The Peter Principle ...

Leadership by threat and tears, incompetent and fearful immature personalities at the top levels
Always a high turnover, new faces daily
Employees left crying on a regular basis

Incredibly poor leadership provided little support and was frequently antagonizing

Do not think Hawaii is any better... It's a sham
Pros
great residents... great coworkers
Cons
canceled hours on a regular basis, deceitful two faced managent, very poor training and communication, immature leaders
if you like to be used and treated like a doormat then this is the job for you.
universal worker (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNNovember 15, 2015
Tons and I mean TONS of double standards. Definitely not an even playing field. If you're favored you can do and anything and get away with anything. You are not valued on your work ethic, dependability, or commitment to this company. Its only about if your scheduler likes you, director of housing likes you and only on a personal level. They will ALWAYS tell you everything you do wrong and NEVER anything you do good or right. You can sacrifice everything for this company but will never get anything in return. Management can talk down to you, scream at you point out your every flaw. But if you happen to be a straight shooter in your opinions your never gonna be a "favorite". Keep your head down, tail between your legs,bow down and say yes ma'am no ma'am never dare to make mistakes and you will be a star employee. Anything less than perfection is unacceptable. I worked with a girl who worked 40-60 hours a week. Couldn't be more dependable or devoted to that company and everyone treats this poor lady like the dirt under the door mat. Scheduler turns people against her, housing supervisor treats her badly ,RN supervisor can hardly look at her, they all pick her apart. Yet there she is every day and she's the 1st one they call when they need something. Quite the "CHRISTIAN WAY" as they "PRIDE" themselves on being a Christian organization. It's absolutely heart breaking to see how 1 organization, 1 set of management, 1 "good samaritan house". Can just beat 1 poor lady down. Never would I work there again or ever recommend it unless your kids are starving and it's your last resort.  more... There is a reason this company can't keep staff. Cuz they don't value staff.  less
Pros
great residents, great co workers
Cons
poorly treated by management, no appreciation no thank yous being used. being worked to death.
Evenings make it worth it
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pipestone, MNNovember 5, 2015
A typical day at my work would be, getting the residents up and ready for supper, feed them, then bring them back to get ready for bed. I have learned that you have to watch everything because some of the residents like to share or hide food. They are sneaky at times. I really enjoy working at Good Sam, but as life likes to throw curve balls, I no longer can work there, because hopefully i will be move back to my home town. Which is going to be heard, because the residents are part of my family, the co-workers too. They make work fun and enjoyable. Yes, this job is hard at times, but you can't change it, just go with the flow and relax.
You Don't Want To Work Here!!!
Worked the floor (Former Employee) –  Albert Lea, MNAugust 9, 2015
This is possibly the worst working environment I have ever worked in. I have had better working conditions working in a meat processing plant, than I did working at Good Sams! Rather than look for the good things their employees do, the management spys on employees in order to catch them doing something they deem "insubordinate". They love to use that word, along with phrases such as,"pot stirrer", and "get off the bus". Management cares even less about the residents that are served. The residents are treated like they are a commodity, rather than human beings. They also love to call you into the human resource office and write you up. When this happens, they try to swindle you into signing an agreement that they say is your acknowledgement of understanding why you have been written up, when in reality can later be used as their defense if you ever try to collect unemployment, in the event that you get fired. I myself was never fired, but do know this is what happened to others who were. There are far too many family members of management working there, and of course, these employees never have any problems. Their slogan is "In Christ's Love Everyone Is Someone". The reality is, you are only someone if you are a family member of someone in management. They certainly do not practice common respect and decency towards the majority of employees. The "Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society" emblem is just that, an emblem, and a veil that they hide behind. The facility I worked at has spent literally millions of dollars on remodeling, and it is beautiful, but still only serves  more... to mask the truth of how it is really operated.  less
Pros
The residents and some of the co-workers who actually work the floor.
Cons
Too numerous to mention
Excellent company to work for
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee and Daytona FloridaJuly 3, 2015
Enjoyed the faith based atmosphere
Great ethical care
Liked the organizational structure
Good management
Good co-worker
Enjoyed the opportunity to contribute
Pros
Christian atmosphere. Employee well cared for. Nice benefits
Cons
Pay
Great Place
RN (Current Employee) –  Spokane Valley Good SamJune 3, 2015
I have worked at Good Sam for two years. Wonderful co-workers, management and residents. Great environment. Staff to resident ratio is good. Always enough supplies.
great place to work
cna (Current Employee) –  Prescott villageMay 20, 2015
They are amazing! Just got new a administrator and a new DON they are both so amazing and helpful. They truly care about staff and patients. Very accommodating for your schedule. Love it here!!
Pros
amazing management
Run!!!!
LPN (Former Employee) –  Indianola, IAMarch 10, 2015
I worked at good Sam for three years as a nurse and got to say I loved my residents and family's and co- workers, management left a lot to be desired, they treated residents family's like they knew squat and would talk down to them all the time, director cared more about decorating the building then the issues at hand, HR wanted to fit in so bad with management she followed them around like a lost puppy dog, DON is not bad, she try's, after three years of devoted service I got fired for something that had not a thing to do with me and management has put my license in jeopardy and keeps me from getting a new job, I feel like this place ruined my career, if this is in Christ love, I'm becoming atheist!!!
Pros
residents, floor nurses and cna
Cons
everything else
not bad, but not great.
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waconia, MnMarch 2, 2015
I had a decent experience working as a nursing assistant at good sam. I didnt really care for my previous Coworkers as they were constantly gossiping, on their phones, taking longer breaks than they were supposed to. I feel management was pretty good, but some of the RN'S and LPN'S needed to step up their game. They're pretty lazy. And let some of the nars go on smoke break every 2 hours.
Pros
decent starting pay
Cons
co workers
My favorite job
CNA (Former Employee) –  Aztec, NMFebruary 23, 2015
I've read the other reviews for this company- many complain about short staffing and being overworked. IMO that is just part of being in the medical field, especially as a CNA. However, YOU are the one that sets the tone for your shift, and if you cultivate friendships and great teamwork, it will make CNA work SO much easier. I only worked here for 1 year, but I only left because I moved away- I LOVED the residents, the management, and my teammates. I learned so much about how to be a good teammate, how to prioritize and manage my time to get everything finished by the end of my shift, and elevated my ability to provide proper care for the residents. I would readily work here again.
Pros
awesome teammates! great tasting food. wonderful residents.
Cons
normal healthcare related cons- tired feet, etc. - same as any other job in the health industry.
horrible
cna (Former Employee) –  brainerd,mnFebruary 5, 2015
I work for good Sam for about 8 months as a cna. I love my job and I love what I do. Its about the residents and their needs. But my gosh when you ask the DON who happens to be walking past the room you are in to help you with a quick two person transfer and she just walks on by as though she never heard a thing.. That's when you know you have an issue. Way understaffed all the time. I worked 60+ hr weeks.. Mind you I'm a single mom of 2 so the Money was pretty good but should it really be that way? I was always coming in 3 hours before my 6am shift. Working doubles all the time. Dang I'm an aide.. Are you trying to kill me? The only reason I did that is because its not the residents fault. They needed the care regardless who did it. They shouldn't get less because the company sucks.
Pros
the residents
Cons
some nurses and most of the managment
For the size of Good Samaritan, it was like family to me.
Asset Management Technician - ISTS (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 21, 2015
Liked the opportunity to have devotions daily and to start a meeting off with a prayer. Showed that all can not be done unless God is included.
Pros
flexible
Cons
advancement and education growth limited
Worst Place EVER to work
RN (Former Employee) –  kansasJanuary 20, 2015
undeniably the worst place to work ever. I've worked as a nurse (RN) at many different places through the past 6 years and I have to say that they are horrible. Not just Kansas Nursing homes and home health- but the entire foundation is just reprehensible. They have management that is completely untrained and illogical. They promote anti-EEOC behavior. They hire a service that specializes in helping them to deny unemployment and fight every case I saw during my wretched time there. The pay was a bit higher than others were paying but!!! It had to be because they will work you to death (as long as you're not hourly) and then there is no recompense. Salaried people would put in 60+ per week and they just say don't log your hours on the computer....why? Oh because they were already in trouble with the DOL for OT issues. If I could give negative stars I would. Run! Just not worth it.
Cons
organization full of fraud, hours without pay, forced "christian" courses which were mandatory, uneducated management
In 25 years of long term care employment, the WORST place I have ever worked.
EVS Director (Former Employee) –  Jeffersontown KYJanuary 7, 2015
I worked at Good Sam in J-town KY. The favoritism is horrible. It doesn't matter about your work ethic or care for the residents, if you're not in the administrator's click (which is some of the worst management people I have ever been around in 25 years) you are out. People are falsely respected by the click (illiterate, hateful, just complete, low class individuals) are kept around as a source of amusement by long term 'click' employees. As unbelievable as that sounds, it is very true. Administration cares only about the bottom line which is a good thing because they are completely clueless about internal workings and could care less. The HR director is more concerned about her daily dress and look than actual HR functions and is totally unprofessional in every way. There is NO team in this building... It is chaos and a power struggle between department heads and the department heads in the click, most certainly win out in that struggle which brings down morale throughout the building. Bottom line (no pun intended) this is a toxic place to work, from the time you enter the 'front door' until you leave to get into your car. Work here at your own risk...
Pros
residents
Cons
administration circle
management is inexperienced in most areas
food service (Former Employee) –  IndianolaJanuary 3, 2015
The work is easy, the residence are great. management was terrible. admin was good but dept heads had no clue some times. Lots of favoritism. communication was terrible most days management didn't even speak to me.
Pros
the people
Cons
unit manager

1.7