The Field Museum Employee Reviews

Employee Perspective
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 28, 2017
The Field Museum is a fascinating place to work due to its outstanding collections, laid back environment and desire to be a top notch science/research facility. Employees enjoy decent benefits and upbeat coworkers. The main issues with the company is the lack of competitive pay, limited advancement and very poor communication problems. Management from top to bottom can make a good work environment toxic by allowing cliques, unnecessary drama and poor communication between departments. Overall, the experience becomes more harmful than good.
Pros
Employee Time Off, Fascinating Exhibits/Collection, Staff Treatment of Each Other
Cons
Low Competitve Pay, Poor Communication, Petty Issues Allowed
An honor to work here
Meteorite Collections Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 21, 2017
The Field Museum of Natural history is grand in every sense of the word. As a fossil preparator or collections volunteer no day was boring, you could work on anything you wanted as long as the projects were finished in a timely matter. I learned to create a better life work balance as I was a full time student during the week and commuting downtown over the weekend to volunteer and eventually decreased my hours. The management of volunteers is somewhat broken, they won't keep you on if you don't work for 10-15 hours a week, I had a two hour commute each way and came in as often as possible but could not meet their requirements and was treated rudely by a volunteer manager. Other than that isolated incident there really was no hard part to the job; everyone was supportive, passionate, and creative.
Pros
Ice breaker parties every week, The Brain Scoop is made here
The membership department is unorganized
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  1400 S. Lake Shore DriveFebruary 19, 2016
The manager is not very professional and degrades employees. However, I did enjoy meeting the many visitors who come to explore the museum. The President of the museum is awesome.
Pros
Free museum and zoo passes world-wide
Cons
Unorganized
The Field
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2015
Established goals for the department, Administered performance evaluations, Trained and promoted continuing education activities, sold Tickets also process all time off request and daily and Monthly schedule.
Pros
Good Manager
Cons
walking around for 8-10 hours aday
A good starter job
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 18, 2015
They are going through a transition period where they are doing massive layoffs. Fun place to work, just not a very secure job.
Pros
fun
Cons
laying off
Stable Intellectual Setting
Anthropology Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 23, 2015
Chronologically organizing 15+ years worth of clay samples and their respective data; Processing upwards of 100 samples per hour of work; Transferring written data to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet; Facilitating discussion with museum visitors; Reorganization of archaeological lab to improve efficiency and ease of work; Great attention to detail in categorizing data
Pros
Top in the field
Cons
Non-paid internship
Excellent management skills
Executive Assistant/Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 24, 2015
Claim entry
Implementing policies and provedures
Data Entry
Strategic planning
Reporting
Payroll
Budget
Operations
Engaging workplace in a world-class natural history museum and research-based institution.
Research Assistant & Behind-The-Scenes Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 5, 2014
The Field Museum is such a wonderful place to work! Not only does it have state-of-the-art labs and storage facilities, but there is real science and research happening daily; not to mention the constant flow of people visiting from around the world to study our collections and work with our staff. There are many lecture series that happen regularly (weekly & monthly). The best part is knowing and feeling how dedicated everyone is to their job. We love what we do and it shows in the quality we strive to achieve.
Fun workplace with fantastic coworkers that truly made work feel like home.
Theater Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 19, 2014
Although my time at The Field Museum has been rather short, I can safely say it was been the best work experience I've ever had. All my coworkers really made every day at work fun and easygoing, while still maintaining our daily tasks with efficiency and speed. We all meshed very well together, and I enjoyed coming to work every morning and greeting my manager and supervisor. It truly felt like a family there and I wish I could work there indefinitely.
Pros
Free access to all museums in Illinois and some nationwide.
Cons
Short lunch break (30 min)
Fun enviroment
Building Attendant/Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2013
My general duties were to maintain the washrooms for the general public, by making sure the tissue and soap was fully stocked, floors were dry at all time to prevent accidents.
Pros
Meet different people all the time.
Cons
Room for advancement was not available.
Research Assistant Intern
Research assistant intern (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 3, 2013
Key responsibilities have been survey data entry, which requires extreme precision and focus. I learned that the process of data entry is iterative and that several rounds of data "cleaning" are required. I am proficient using excel and can troubleshoot easily. In my job you've been given a high level of independence and are trusted to communicate with your supervisor about your progress and any issues that arise.

I also work part time as a bartender at a pub in the city.
Pros
free museum access, great schedule, great manager
Cons
unpaid internship
Exceptional workplace, wonderful benefits, a most unique place to work.
3d Exhibition Designer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2012
Every day was a pleasure to come in and work at the Field Museum. The management was great, they always listened and were very helpful. Co-workers were very nice and friendly. The best part was coming in and working there every day.
This is a fun environmental to be apart of. With great teams to be with
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 14, 2012
This is a great opportunity for people to learn something new everyday while being inside the museum.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Field Museum. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4