The Field Museum Employee Reviews in United States

The membership department is unorganized
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  1400 S. Lake Shore DriveFebruary 19, 2016
The manager is not very professional and degrades employees. However, I did enjoy meeting the many visitors who come to explore the museum. The President of the museum is awesome.
Pros
Free museum and zoo passes world-wide
Cons
Unorganized
A good starter job
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 18, 2015
They are going through a transition period where they are doing massive layoffs. Fun place to work, just not a very secure job.
Pros
fun
Cons
laying off
Stable Intellectual Setting
Anthropology Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 23, 2015
Chronologically organizing 15+ years worth of clay samples and their respective data; Processing upwards of 100 samples per hour of work; Transferring written data to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet; Facilitating discussion with museum visitors; Reorganization of archaeological lab to improve efficiency and ease of work; Great attention to detail in categorizing data
Pros
top in the field
Cons
non-paid internship
Excellent management skills
Executive Assistant/Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 24, 2015
Claim entry
Implementing policies and provedures
Data Entry
Strategic planning
Reporting
Payroll
Budget
Operations
Engaging workplace in a world-class natural history museum and research-based institution.
Research Assistant & Behind-The-Scenes Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 5, 2014
The Field Museum is such a wonderful place to work! Not only does it have state-of-the-art labs and storage facilities, but there is real science and research happening daily; not to mention the constant flow of people visiting from around the world to study our collections and work with our staff. There are many lecture series that happen regularly (weekly & monthly). The best part is knowing and feeling how dedicated everyone is to their job. We love what we do and it shows in the quality we strive to achieve.
Fun workplace with fantastic coworkers that truly made work feel like home.
Theater Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 19, 2014
Although my time at The Field Museum has been rather short, I can safely say it was been the best work experience I've ever had. All my coworkers really made every day at work fun and easygoing, while still maintaining our daily tasks with efficiency and speed. We all meshed very well together, and I enjoyed coming to work every morning and greeting my manager and supervisor. It truly felt like a family there and I wish I could work there indefinitely.
Pros
free access to all museums in illinois and some nationwide.
Cons
short lunch break (30 min)
Fun enviroment
Building Attendant/Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2013
My general duties were to maintain the washrooms for the general public, by making sure the tissue and soap was fully stocked, floors were dry at all time to prevent accidents.
Pros
meet different people all the time.
Cons
room for advancement was not available.
Research Assistant Intern
Research assistant intern (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 3, 2013
Key responsibilities have been survey data entry, which requires extreme precision and focus. I learned that the process of data entry is iterative and that several rounds of data "cleaning" are required. I am proficient using excel and can troubleshoot easily. In my job you've been given a high level of independence and are trusted to communicate with your supervisor about your progress and any issues that arise.

I also work part time as a bartender at a pub in the city.
Pros
free museum access, great schedule, great manager
Cons
unpaid internship
Exceptional workplace, wonderful benefits, a most unique place to work.
3d Exhibition Designer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2012
Every day was a pleasure to come in and work at the Field Museum. The management was great, they always listened and were very helpful. Co-workers were very nice and friendly. The best part was coming in and working there every day.
This is a fun environmental to be apart of. With great teams to be with
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 14, 2012
This is a great opportunity for people to learn something new everyday while being inside the museum.

4.5