The Fiscal Times is seeking an editor/writer for its Life + Money channel, one of the key traffic drivers for the site. You are writing for a fast-growing digital news and opinion publication, which reaches an influential, elite audience.
You will join a small team of dedicated young professionals and will be responsible for the continued growth of the channel. You will write daily pieces, work on longer feature stories, and edit a team of freelance contributors. You need to be a self-starter and move on news related stories in this fast-paced environment. You report to the Editor in Chief, but you have the authority along with the responsibility to manage the channel.
You will cover the key financial topics that affect people and their families, including retirement, education, health care, investing, real estate, taxes, careers and retail. With the help of freelancers and curated content pieces, you will:
- Post five or more stories a day
- Maintain a balance of quick 300-500 word news posts, educational explainers, provocative features, and entertaining slideshows.
- Conceive and commission pieces and help develop them with your writers
- Grow the key metrics of your audience
- Promote your stories through social networks
- Help with copyediting, fact checking and production.
- 5+ years of reporting and editing experience, primarily on the web
- A passion for the web and for issues related to money that affect business owners and families
- A passion for unbiased journalism and fairness in reporting
- Ease with cold calling sources, and an ability to communicate clearly and professionally
- Ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Careful attention to detail – including spelling names correctly and double checking numbers.
- A real team player
- Familiarity with content management systems and basic HTML
The Fiscal Times is a fast growing independent media enterprise – written, edited and produced by experienced professional journalists –...