The Fresh Market Employee Reviews in United States

Good Company
PM Baker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 23, 2016
The store that I was located at was not able to sustain a steady flow of customers. Several things contributed to the downfall such as lack of advertising. This company was heavily depending on the staff to get business in the stores.Most of the managers were not from Houston and this was also another mistake because many opportunities for additional business was missed. As a result the store was closed.
Very stressful and low morale place to work
Assistant Deli Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 23, 2016
It is a very stressful place, mostly because of inadequate management. i love the company and the product but sadly, not the job.
Satisfactory
REGIONAL OPERATIONS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Montvale, NJJune 23, 2016
The Fresh Market is a good place to start off your career in the professional management field. Human Resources plays a big role in retention, however, corporate management in needs to decentralize control and allow certain functions of store management to make autonomous decisions to better impact towards customer service.
Pros
Good HR management
Cons
Short management staff
Productive hard working people
Front In Assistant and Bakery (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 22, 2016
This is a great job!! love the job and the managers!! Best place ever for a beginning job!! The coworkers are good people and team work is never an issue. I love going to work daily just because it is amazing.
Pros
The atmospere
Terrible
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJune 19, 2016
Would suggest this job to anyone. they don't have any security. and the hours a terrible. the make false promises and i wouldn't recommend to anyone.
Store Manager
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 16, 2016
Great Company to work for and work life balance and it is moving in a great direction with the right people in place.I learn to change quickly with the movement of the company its a great company to work for.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
Lot of changes
Decent Job
Bakery Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Wilmette, ILJune 15, 2016
The Fresh Market is a decent place to work, some advancement opportunities. You can make lasting relationships with fellow employees. Management could be more organized.
Good opportunity for advancement
Produce Manager (Current Employee) –  Mandeville, LAJune 14, 2016
It has been great working for The Fresh Market. There is great opportunity for advancement. They offer excellent 401/k plans and health insurance benefits. Managing the Produce department has been rewarding in itself.
Pros
Great opportunities
Cons
high turnover
Productive and exciting place to work with an upscale environment.
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJune 12, 2016
A typical day at work is fast paced. I have learned to how to manage my time better to meet company and sales goals. Management has been very helpful in helping me meet my career goals within The Fresh Market, along with some key employees. There really was nothing that I didn't like about the job. The part I really liked the most was being able to engage with all types of people from various cultures.
Love my job - Substandard pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  NortheastJune 10, 2016
Because the store is smaller the crew in our store for the most part work as one... That being said as the expression goes - you get (new hired help) what you pay for... new hired help are given little training are clueless and are the bottom of the barrel of the available work force.. About two/thirds of people that apply for work FAIL becaus of their background checks..The Fresh Market pays their help substandard wages and puts a freeze on their wages once they reach the top of their pay scale - like forever - their is nothing to look forward to... People come and they go....They see that their is no advancement and substandard low pay and a pay freeze and they leave.. I think the company even admitted to a 70% turn over in help... No one can afford to pay their bills and work here... Most of us love our jobs but are forced to leave for that reason...Their is no overtime - and if you do work overtime for The Fresh Market they try their best to take it away from you... Their is no sick days if you call out sick its taken away from your vacation time. Their is no personal days off except your birthday... And no paid holidays - your not paid for Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th of July, Labor day, etc... The Fresh Market does not contribute money toward your pension like other grocery store chains do... You can join a 401 pension fund - but most employees don't because of low wages.We can't afford too...I really do love what I do - but we are so vastly - underpaid it's embarrassing.. No doubt about it we are taken advantage of..With any company it's biggest expense IS it's labor  more... costs- if you cut that to the bone you'll
aways operate in the black...Theirs no question about it we were over due for a buy out... In closing - if you can't find anything better your stuck in the spider Web called The Fresh Market.
Pros
I love my job
Cons
Things need to change - extremely low pay, NO chance of ever getting a raise, no personals days off expect your birthday, no sick days, no health benefits, yearly bonuses down graded..
Fast paced and under appreciated
Seafood manager, and ast. grocery manager (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TNJune 8, 2016
I have learned how to place orders for perishable and nonperishable products. How to resolve customer complaints, and effectively manage my time and coworkers. I have helped the company open 4 to 5 new stores. I had to train the new employees in the company standers and regulations, and also how to deal with the customers effectively and kindly.
Pros
ok pay, great food, great experience
Cons
Corrupt management, low wages for way to much work, never new who would wright you up.
Not much room for advancment
Customer Service Clerk - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Peachtree City, GAJune 7, 2016
Rather than hiring within the company they always hired outside of the company. It was very little room for advancement. Some people went as far as to quit just to apply for the higher position at another location.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 6, 2016
I actually loved working at Fresh Market, the environment was very calming and relaxing. Most of our customers were elderly and that's what made me love it more. Customer service is everything to me. I would count into my drawer for the day and process transactions. At Fresh Market, as cashiers we had to unload the customers cart, ring up the items, bag the groceries, and if needed call someone to assist the customer to their car. It was very different experience but I loved it.
Pros
Discounts on food
Cons
No full time position for cashiers
The quality of products sold easy to stand behind
Asst. Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 6, 2016
I was able to actually manage a store rather than be called a manager but stuck in a back room breaking down pallets. I could easily train employees and focus my attention on customer service
Pros
very relaxed atmosphere to work in
Cons
company was bought out and will happen again
Very Poor Upper Managment
Bakery Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 4, 2016
Middle management is not given the opportunity to actually manage. The store manager at my store micro-managed everything. Store discount is a fair deal. Be sure to document anything that seems out of the ordinary. The company has a very poor HR team and is only out to protect the company, NOT the employees. Closed all the Texas locations due to a company buyout.
Pros
Employee discount, descent insurance for full time employees
Cons
Very poor upper-management and HR practices
Average grocery store to work
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Coconut Grove, FLJune 1, 2016
I learned to work with different type of customers, cash handling and some management skills.
Company itself don't offer best salaries.
Pros
Leaning opportunities
Cons
Low pays
great coworkers but no salary increases.
Front End Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMay 31, 2016
I learned great Customer Service skills and how to professionally deal with issues and upset customers. The most enjoyable part about this job was seeing how happy some customers would leave the store.
great co workers,horrible management
Asst Deli Manager (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TNMay 30, 2016
Great idea of a workplace but no follow through for disciplinary actions from management. Management is very lax and good work is very seldom rewarded.
Pros
20% discount, christmas and thanksgiving off
Cons
hard work not rewarded. no room for inside promotion
Being a Productive employee and Always lending a helping hand
Front Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 27, 2016
On a typical day at work I would try to go out of my way to assist each customers by making sure if they found what they came for. If not I would go out of my way to see, to locate the item for them. If I'm unable to locate the item due to being out of stock. I would take their contact information or I would share with them what days we get our trucks in to have them call in to make sure we have that item in before making the trip in. What I have learned is that you need be productive when working, and make sure customers that come and go are happy because they are whom you see each day. You want those customers to come back. What I have learned in Management is you have to build a relationship with the employees, so you that you and the employees can work as a team.
Making sure each person is being productive by working as a team, learning what each co-worker can provided in the job area. The most hardest part of my job was; not being able to learn how to do curtain areas for pricing, because I was never trained in that area when I should. Due to it being one of my task on the job. The most enjoyable about the job itself was the people I worked with and building relationships with each customers and employees.
Pros
working with great people, learning how to do curatin things in the store.
Cons
shorten breaks at times
great place to work
Front End Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 27, 2016
the best company to work for. would refer some to work for this company and has done so. the employees are great to work with enjoy going to work everyday.