The Fresh Market

The Fresh Market Employee Reviews

not a good place to work
Stocking/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 14, 2015
this is not a good place to work each manager curses and sometimes get mad at customers they cut pay salary they treated each worker as if they was nothing
A peaceful, yet aggressively service-based environment
Cheese Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCDecember 11, 2015
A typical day of work consists of coming in and checking a date book to keep track of when products are going out of date, in order to remove or rework out-of-date items. On a Monday, Wednesday, or Friday, a truck arrives with product from three primary suppliers. I am required to check the invoice and make sure everything that I ordered has arrived and is in good condition. On Saturday, Tuesday, and Thursday I am responsible for filling out an order guide and entering my orders into the computer. My orders are based on sales, a monthly program and a yearly sales forecast. On the third Monday of each month I conduct a total inventory of all of my product which takes about three or four hours. During the hours that the store is open, I prepare product to be placed onto the sales floor and assist customers' needs, as well as take orders over the phone. The most difficult part of the job is coming in at 5 AM for monthly inventories and working during the busy holiday season. My direct supervisor is the deli manager, with whom I work alongside as an assistant deli manager. I also answer to three or four store managers, depending on staffing. The most pleasant part of the job is becoming a part of customers' various events and meals they are planning by providing helpful recommendations and product information.
Productive and Fun workplace
Baker Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 11, 2015
I enjoyed working at The Fresh Market! They have a great customer base and they make you feel at home like we are all family.
High employee turnover is intentional
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 11, 2015
The company is attempting to lower payroll by maintaining high turnover of employees. The company prefers to hire part-time employees to limit the benefits that go along with full time employee's. Due to goals of the company the stores are chronically understaffed and under trained. Advancement inside the company requires relocation.
Pros
20% discount.
Cons
POOR MANAGEMENT
Don't get your hopes up
grocery (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILDecember 9, 2015
When I first started at TFM, I thought it was going to be not so bad. 20% discount, a small store layout, and it's not Walmart. I was pretty far off with my expectations for this job. Just to be clear, I only took this job to hold me over until a better one. Employees are basically sucked souless, getting every bit of worth that they have used until they decide enough is enough, hence the high turnover rate. There isn't anything rewarding about this job. It's 9 hours a day of one person doing the work of three people, with the others playing the "That's not my job" card, as if they were working some union job. The hour long lunch breaks are uneeded, as it's nothing but demotivational. I'd rather have half an hour unpaid lunch, but then they can't get a full eight hours out of you. Anything you do is never enough, so it's almost pointless to give much effort. The low wages aren't nearly enough compensation for the disorganization, the lack of direction, and the "I don't know" answer to most questions you may ask. If you enjoy time with your family and living your only life, work somewhere else. This job is okay for teenage kids and people in their later years that don't have any other options. Don't even get me started on the customers and their sense of entitlement and elitism.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
No work-life balance, low wages, poor benefits, lazy co-workers, long hours.
Could have been great
JOURNEYMAN MEATCUTTER; ASSISTANT DEPARTMENT LEAD (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 7, 2015
Great products and atmosphere, but sadly all that can be said. Company or local managment doesnt understand how to operate a service meat department. No counter coverage and minimal staff. Meatcutters wait on all customers and do all cleaning. Often dont get out untill 11pm or later and have to be back at 530am. Would be ok if managment also didnt understand this leaves us with little time to actualt make product for customers to purchase.
Fun Environment
Assistant Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCDecember 6, 2015
It was a very open atmosphere to be employed - I enjoyed it very much. I was employed there for almost 2 years - it was a very secure place, financially speaking.
great company, if the biggest concern was customers not payroll
Meat & Seafood Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Montvale, NJDecember 3, 2015
I did enjoy working for this company giving customers a fresh product is always great, but with giving the customer a fresh product comes labor to produce that product, something the company fails to realize and is very concentrated on cutting hours and saving pennies. not to mention they fail to pay appropriately comparing to the industry avrage in compensation.
Pros
discounts are great, weekly deals are good, not hard work.
Cons
don't pay well. concerned about cutting hours, not customer service. ASM's are inexperienced and like to micro manage.
Don't Care About thier employees
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Atlnata, GeorgiaDecember 3, 2015
The Fresh Market makes their employees work for hours without a break. They give employees 8-15 hours a week. You have to work a whole department by yourself. They Suck!
Pros
There are none
Cons
No Breaks, Shortage of hours, low pay, no advancement
Managment should be under construction
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Southern Pines, NCNovember 23, 2015
I enjoyed working with the customers and coworkers, but management and store code should and needs to be revised ad handled I a correct way.
Strictly a job to put food on my table
Certified Meat Cutter & Seafood Specialist (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLNovember 20, 2015
Too ambitious with unrealistic new locations to reach 500 stores.
The switch form a privately owned to an publically traded stock a bid culture shock and in my view unrealistic and unsustainable.
Pros
A neat consept and pleasant place to shop.
Cons
Sales & Profit objectives unrealistic in today's competitive market.
Not the place for me
Meat and Seafood Manager (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GANovember 18, 2015
Fresh Market provides top quality products. However the management at store #115 is not helpful or productive in helping employees to succeed. One day one manager tells you one thing then the next another manager tells you something completely different. Bunch of Indians with no Chief.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Overall good place to work
Assistant Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VaNovember 13, 2015
I enjoyed learning on how to be an assistant produce manager. I learned a lot as far as how produce should be handled and maintained at the opening and closing of the store.
Pros
Good people to work with
Horrible management. Unprofessional employees all around.
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Hendersonville, NCNovember 12, 2015
This place has terrible management. They don't appericate the few good employees they have. Very unclean and unorganized. Terrible communication and no accountability.
Pros
You can go home after 8hrs
Cons
Too many to mention
very knowledgable
Butcher/Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CANovember 8, 2015
The Fresh market was a very clean work environment. The management was very nice and they taught me a lot.
They were positioned in a bad location and forced to close.
Pros
great benefits and room for improvement and discounts
Cons
closed location, no free lunches, very strict
Friendly workplace with involved management.
Assistant Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Cornelius, NCNovember 8, 2015
On a daily basis I helped to manage and monitor the produce section. Throughout the day I would sort, cut and distribute produce as needed.
doesnt give you raises, no discipline
Front End Supervisor, Part Time Book Keeper (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTNovember 3, 2015
Great Benefits, we got a free Turkey every Christmas. They would give us an employee thanksgiving meal the day before.
Didn't care for that they didn't give you a raise when promoted-no motivation to get further ahead.
There was no discipline if company rules were broken.
Pros
free turkey, great employees, great benefits
Cons
no structure or raises
Pretty store but poor location
Floral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VANovember 2, 2015
I enjoyed the job for two years. A new District Manager changed the dynamics ,not for the better.I was required to help in many areas of the store and did.Learned cashiering , did all inventories as well as brought sales up in the Floral department.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
poor management from the top down
great culture and work expierence
Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  Center Valley, PANovember 1, 2015
Set up for day, make sure everything is properly set up to receive customers. Learned excellent customer service skills as well as how to deal with potential problems
Pros
holiday pay
Cons
changing management
FRONT END ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 24, 2015
I feel very lucky to currently work at The Fresh Market, great location, great customers, and great management/co workers.