The Fresh Market Employee Reviews in United States

Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 12, 2016
You get paid really well to be a cashier. Loved most of the people I worked with. You do notice favoritism the longer you work there. They had a couple of cashiers that never did their job, and they were never reprimanded. The line would get to the back of the store, and they still would not get on their register. Very high turnover rate. Mostly because of management. One in particular would get upset when you changed your schedule, and would give you one day a week. That was a problem with a lot of employees. All in all, it's an okay job. Customers and other employees made it worthwhile.
Pros
Employees, customers
Cons
Managers
great people, nice place to work
Grocery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSMarch 10, 2016
My day starts with ordering stock from vendors to fill shelves, usually have pallets of stock waiting to be put on shelves. Make sure my assts. are ready to go in other dept's..Also work backstock so what we have in the backroom will be put on shelf before new product insuring rotation..My co-workers made my job alot more enjoyable...The hardest part was usually getting the orders in while trying to make sure any holes were filled on shelf...Just time consuming not very hard...the best part was seeing and hearing how much the customers appreciated the work we put in to making the store a wonderful place to shop...
Pros
nice area to work, great co-workers
Cons
insurance was a little high..other than that not alot
Awful
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 8, 2016
No focus, no leadership, and no passion are just a few parts of why it is awful. No one seems to have a vision and the culture is misery loves company.
Pros
Cons
everything
Great place with great people
courtesy clerk/deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 7, 2016
It was an absolute pleasure to work with people on a daily basis that were kind and great individuals. I learned a lot about teamwork and working in a solid work environment with easy-to-get-along with people. There wasnt really any hard part of the job when you know what you are doing for the most part. The most enjoyable part was working for a company in a fun atmosphere and environment
Pros
easy to get along with co-workers, discount (20%), fun evironment
Cons
not enough hours, always worked nights
Not a bad intermediate job
Grocery Specialist (Current Employee) –  NCMarch 3, 2016
Not a bad place to work. Just don't plan on moving far within the company very fast. Management has favorites. Not a hard job though.
A culturally expansive and fun workplace
Baker (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAFebruary 24, 2016
I learned a lot while working at The Fresh Market. Initially, management invited employees to try the different foods they sold, really engage with customers, and just to really make the job fun. A drastic change in management made it begin to feel more like a dull, assembly line. Customers began to notice it as well. However, the work and pay were more than fair. Training was thorough as well.
Pros
Easily accessible upper management, Great pay, Fun environment
Cons
Strict supervisors, Raise process was tedious
Tuff skin
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLFebruary 21, 2016
Responsible for working closely with Store Manager, Assistant Store Managers, and Deli/CMS Manager in order to create The Fresh Market environment and ensure the success of the store and department through excellent customer service and a demonstrated passion for food.
Very Professional
Assistant Deli Manager (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCFebruary 21, 2016
This company provides very good pay for part time workers. It also gives many opportunities for its employees to grow with the company and provides training along the way.
Pros
pay
Cons
no free lunch, and health insurence
Great concept! But..
Manager (Current Employee) –  SCFebruary 21, 2016
Meat department is the best of all grocery stores .
For a specialty grocery store you don't have the items that other stores have. Specialty items!
Items need to be more fresh not frozen.

Employees are great! Need to take care of them! Pay better! Benefits! Care about your employees!

Stores need more hours for help to get the jobs done and to run departments better! Fewer hours mean not enough time to have the department ready for customers!

Customers like the stores and items! So let each department control what they have for there clientele. Customers are always asking for items that are discontinued.

Sampling is great, you get to try new items!
Customers take advantage of that likes is a buffet!
Pros
Sampling, fun place to work! Co workers
Cons
Pay, no bonuses, benefits
It is an O-K job to go work.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, LAFebruary 20, 2016
When I first worked at TFM I loved the job. Unfortunately, we got all new management. After that it was just like any other, stressful job. Also, you are not promise full hours if you work here at TFM. The best thing I like about TFM is the employees, they treat you very well.
Pros
you do get benefits and the other employees treat you like family.
Cons
if you get enough hours to pay for it.
N/a
Front End Cashier /Store Clerk/Deli (Former Employee) –  Scarsdale, NYFebruary 19, 2016
For over thirty years, The Fresh Market has brought you the freshest, most delicious quality products from around the corner and around the globe. What started in Greensboro, North Carolina as a dream has grown into a refreshing reality with 168 stores in 27 states across the nation. Each one a part of the local community. Each one dedicated to providing the freshest and best local ingredients.

Back in 1982, our founders decided to open a store that was different from the giant industrialized grocery stores of the time. They wanted to open a smaller store that focused on the customer and the shopping experience. They wanted to create an open-air market with old-world charm, stocked with fresh meats, seafood, fruits, and vegetables. They wanted the store to be “a fresh concept in grocery shopping.”

Bringing the European style market stateside was just the beginning. Step inside The Fresh Market and you’ll notice a rustic feel complimented by old-world charm, warm lighting and classical music that provide an inviting atmosphere. This truly makes shopping at The Fresh Market an experience unlike any other.
Too much turn over
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Glen Mills, PAFebruary 19, 2016
Every single day there is a post for a meat cutter job! They are the worst to work for! I know that because of the experience of someone I know who worked there! It seems like they can't keep good help!
Typical Retail Environment
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Center Valley, PAFebruary 17, 2016
Working at the Fresh Market was a typical retail/grocery store type environment. It wasn't my favorite place to work, but it was what worked for me at the time.
Productive and fun people to work with
Floor Maintenance Technician, Cashier, Asst. (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAFebruary 17, 2016
Productive and fun people to work with. It's allowing me and others to work in various departments to learn how to run more efficiently and allows us to help others who need help on any given day.
Pros
Free samples, long lunches, etc.
Cons
Short hours, low pay
Recommend
ASM (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCFebruary 12, 2016
I think there are many positives and negatives to any job and finding the elusive perfect job is not realistic. Fresh Market is going through changes with Senior Management that needed to happen. Hopefully they can right the ship and bring the store back to strong growth. I would recommend working at Fresh Market.
Pros
Family feel.
Cons
Senior Management
Productive and fun workplace; fast paced working enviroment
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSFebruary 9, 2016
Constant walking, lifting, and packaging at the start of the shift up until the beginning of the night shift. Night shift consisted of stocking, taking inventory making desserts and dessert novelties from both fresh and frozen everyday. I learned how to weigh product, work industrial sized oven and proofers, bread slicers and other equipment as required. I learned the sanitation guidelines within the bakery and the store and applied them to my everyday work routine so that sanitation standards were met. The team throughout the store was the best. the hardest part about the job was meeting the quota for the bake sales and specials, as well as holidays and special events. The most enjoyable part of my position was giving away free cookies all day everyday to the children and making the desserts. One of my favorite jobs ever.
Pros
Full time hours and overtime; employee discount
Cons
Big crowds for holidays and special events that require large orders and pre orders
No integrty and a lack of communication in the managment
Deil (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 8, 2016
No integrity with anyone that works for this company. They don't stand bye nothing but the bottom line. they hire liars and people with mental problems.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Lying Managers
Diverse employees with lazy backgrounds
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAFebruary 3, 2016
Working hard to please customers. Getting along with employees while dealing with poor managers. Learned how to work with people
while enjoying breaks. Getting all my work done before I went home.
Pros
Relaxing breaks
Cons
Lazy employees
Great atmosphere but very limiting in moving forward
Front End Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 1, 2016
A typical day at work for any manager is incredibly stressful. Turn over rate is incredibly high and we are often very short staffed. The front end is a rather neglected department due to the fact we have nothing to do with sales. Our registers are very outdated as well as any computer programs used to do our paperwork.
However, the atmosphere of the store is wonderful. Very relaxed, posh vibe.
Products sold in the store, are pricey, but great to people who already have, or are transitioning to a healthier lifestyle. Wide variety of organic food options that you cant simply get at any other store. The employee discount is very nice, going up 10% more around the holidays, which makes gift buying or dinner-preparing so much better.
Benefits are provided and the premium out of each paycheck isn't bad, but the copays are very high.
This company also, is very corporate. A certain position tops out at a certain salary, and that's all you can make. The only raise you can get is getting promoted, or your annual raise of a maximum of 25 cents. Even if you go above and beyond your job duties on a daily basis, you cannot receive a raise.
Pros
discounts
Cons
salary
fun
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Paris, TNJanuary 31, 2016
I had a good time coming to work at Fresh Market. The weekends were the most fun because everyone was their. We always had a full house but it made it exciting. I liked being a waitress, I just did not like the pay.
Pros
Half off food
Cons
short breaks

2.9