The Fresh Market

The Fresh Market Employer Reviews

Productive and quickly growing
Assistant Grocery Manager (Current Employee), columbus gaJuly 14, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: insurance
-Complete all orders for the following delivery day
-Receive beer and wine vendors
-Work back stock product
-Clean and straighten work areas
baker / manager trainer
Lead Baker (Current Employee), tampa floridaJuly 12, 2014
Pros: benifits are semi ok
Cons: short breaks, hourly cuts no commuication
Works as the Am baker preparing all baked goods for the store also works with the cold case, cake designing and product knowledge. Also works as a gold star trainer, training new employees in state and out of state
horrible place to work
floater and bulk specialist (Former Employee), Asheville ncJuly 11, 2014
This company is not employee friendly. I worked there for 4 months and many people quit for being talked down to and pretty much used. They get really nice if you work when your not scheduled, do someone else's job or let them send you home with no pay because upper management tells them to cut hours. They are inflexible if you need to change your schedule for any reason. Don't ask any favors even if you are an excellent employee. They will call you names and harass you . They also will not hire enough people to do the work load and make you work faster and faster and them treat the department heads like c#@# if its not done. They also have there favorites that pretty much don't do much but mope around all day . They also lie about the pay . There prices are way to high but they throw food away like crazy, baskets full of stuff . Stay clear find another place to work .
Over all great place to work
Cashier (Current Employee), little rockJuly 9, 2014
Every job has their bad days. The Fresh Market is a great place to work. The hire the best people. It's almost like a little family.
Great Learning Enviroment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee), Daphne, ALJuly 8, 2014
Pros: lots of product sampling
Cons: poor management
Great place to meet a variety of people. Constantly able to learn more. Learned a lot of how to or not to manage a store.
Positive, lively environment
Assistant Front End Manager (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJuly 8, 2014
Pros: 20% discount on food
Count safe with store manager,
prepare money for registers,
input reports in computer,
prepare deposits for previous day,
help guide customers through store,
assist other departments as needed,
problem solving,
customer service
Fun and fast paced.
Bakery Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Lynchburg, VAJuly 5, 2014
Pros: 20% discount
Cons: alot of work to do just not enough time to do it all.
Very fun but busy. Fast paced time flies. Great co-workers.
A medium paced workplaced, great training
deli clerk (Former Employee), The Villages, FLJune 27, 2014
Pros: you get acknowledged for good deeds, you can get gift cards, food was 20% off
Cons: sometimes managers get exceedingly lazy, on holidays they make you work while they take off, scheduling is not checked with you
A typical day at work would include coming in early in the morning restocking, replating, cooking washing dishes, slicing meats and cheeses, making sandwiches, servicing clients. I learned what great customer service was. Management was decent for the most part. My coworkers was great working as a team, they did there job well. The hardest part of the job was trying to still get stuff done in an orderly fashion while still handling customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the coworkers i worked with even if they weren't in my department they were fun, loving and always knew how to spice up the day.
Production of bake goods and pasteries
Cake Decorator (Former Employee), Ridgeland,MSJune 25, 2014
typical day of work
making the customers smile on their cake orders
Long days, inconsistent scheduling, no work/ life balance
Store Manager (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAJune 24, 2014
Great job security and a lot of room for advancement. Little opportunity for a work/ life balance especially after moving into management. Rewarding day to day work with my staff and ability to give back to the surrounding communities.
customer service is key. having good communication with your co-workers brings good communication to your customers
Grocery Specialist (Current Employee), Mobile, ALJune 24, 2014
I assist and answer any questions brought to me by other employees; other stores; and any vendors that have questions or concerns about invoices. I consistently help in other departments when needed without hesitation. I am responsible to receive and check-in product from vendors. I breakdown product from pallets and work stock to the shelves for safety and organized inventory. I am responsible for any special orders that come through the grocery department.
It's a job. It's not fun, or easy, but it's work.
Department Manager (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJune 23, 2014
Pros: employee discount program
Cons: corporate, customers
After years with this company I have seen a lot of changes occur. As time goes on TFM is heading more and more into the corporate bureaucratic mentality. Management ranges from pretty good to awful, and that all depends where you end up. Corporate is just terrible. They constantly make mistakes and get involved in the store end of business when they have very little idea about what goes on in the store, leaving the mess for you to deal with. Your coworkers are the main reason you stay and want to leave. If you work hard, you do most of the work. If you don't do much, you'll skate by far too long. Store management normally knows who's worth anything, but they can't give anything for it. Pay is good for clerk level, but department and assistant managers are not a big deal in this company. Also, you get a lot of customers who are rude, affluent, and entitled jerks who have nothing better to do than to treat you like dirt.
my family away from home
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Normal, ILJune 23, 2014
I absolutely loved working for this company. on a typical day I would assist every department, as well as stock the floors. I learned all of my customer interaction skills through this company. my co workers often reminded me of my mom or dad, grandma or grandpa, even my brothers or sisters. there wasn't a whole lot of hard things to do. the most enjoyable part of this job was arriving there each day to everyone smiling.
enjoyable and productive
Front End Office Assistant (Former Employee), Savannah, GAJune 22, 2014
Very nice atmosphere. I learned how to run the front end. There is a lot of room for advancement.
Dishonest and not at all transparent
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), FarragutJune 21, 2014
Pros: salary higher than most grocery stores, generally friendly customers
Cons: see above, plus it's non-union which doesn't make your job very secure
The management at the Farragut, TN location is complete garbage that was picked off the side of the street. I had experience working in a deli before and they never took advantage of it by asking my opinion or treating me like a value to the team. Instead my first day they had me trained by someone who was, like half the store, mentally handicapped. A week later I out-do the deli manager on my work, making food at a faster pace than her and making my area look more neat than hers. Soon after, she's talking about me behind my back to other co-workers and one day she even changes my schedule the day of. I was scheduled to work at 1 which I WROTE DOWN as I always did because I am organized. Because the store was stuck in the 70s and still wrote down the schedule on paper, (no electronics involved like Kroger took advantage of) she erased my time before I came in and claimed I was supposed to come in at 10 in a clear attempt to sabotage me. I was then moved from full time to part time without any notice. I took up the issue with the store manager and he never did anything, which I guess was a blessing because I used the extra time I had to look for a new job.

Shortly after Christmas my mother passes away. Because of how sudden it was and how young I was, I was told by a manager that I could have off the time I needed and let them know when I was ready to return. A month later I call back multiple times a week, only to be told that there was no manager available. When I finally get ahold of one and I get fed this BS story about how I requested day shift only which was completely – more... untrue. My schedule was completely open. I leave them a note giving them my availability and thanking them for giving me time to grieve. Sure enough, I receive no response. I had no choice but to roll up my sleeves and find a new job, which I did.

It appeared that they used my mother's death as an excuse to get rid of me. I learned through this job just how low people can stoop. If you're in need of a job I strongly suggest you steer clear of this one. There are much better jobs out there that don't have managers that are unorganized at unethical levels and hold grudges against employees that surpass them in skill and intellect.

If either of the managers I mentioned in this review read this, I would just like you to know that one day you will reap what you have sown. I know I am not the only one you have played like this. – less
Management not hired within like stated
Meat Manager (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJune 21, 2014
Pros: benefits, enjoyable co-workers, twenty percent discount
Cons: management, promotions, store culture
Employees always unhappy at many of the stores that I have been to across the U.S. Management typically hired outside of the company.
work hard for low pay and zero appreciation
associate (Former Employee), Chattanooga TNJune 21, 2014
Pros: employee discount.1 hour lunch break
Cons: understaffed. unresonable workload. disrespectful condescending unorganized management
A great store to shop but an absolutely horrible place to work. A very negative overall environment. I dont think all locations are this bad.
Great schedule
Meat Cutter (Current Employee), Center Valley, PAJune 19, 2014
IQE is an expanding company. The shift I worked on had a fun group of people. The work day goes by pretty quick.
Comfortable and fun workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Roseville, CAJune 19, 2014
Unfortunately this was such a short time I was working there, I didn't get the proper information to speak about this company.

Laid off after three months of working for the company.
DISHONEST
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Vero Beach, FLJune 19, 2014
They tell you one thing at interview and pay you lower than promised, they play favorites

About The Fresh Market

When it comes to food, it's good to get fresh. The Fresh Market operates about 100 full-service upscale specialty grocery stores – Read more

The Fresh Market Photos