The Fresh Market Employee Reviews

Found 1,136 reviews matching the search
Poor Management & No Pay Raise
Cashier, Coffee/Candy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLSeptember 19, 2017
The Fresh Market is fairly understandable when it comes down to working around your school schedule. Other than that I wouldn't advise anyone to become comfortable. Always seek better and do better. Read the manual you're given regarding the company. If not, then management will manipulate you and try to get over on you. I would highly advise you to take the labor laws seriously, because again management will get over on you. You have your best interest while working for this company. This company WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR PAY BY A DOLLAR AMOUNT! It's likely there will be at least one coworker you can confide in. Everything that glitters is not gold. I worked for this company for three years while pursuing my undergrad degree. Always be aware of what's going on, don't be afraid to voice your opinion respectfully, especially if there's violations.
Pros
Works well with school schedule if you're a student
Cons
no pay raise, poor management, lack of professionalism
Poorly managed
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCSeptember 19, 2017
This job had potential, however, it was managed poorly and very unorganized. I expected more from this company. I started right before the grand opening, so maybe that's why all the chaos. My particular dept was badly managed. Preliminary training by corporate was awesome.
Pros
learning and experiencing the food
Cons
Bad Management
Rated one of the worst companies to work for!
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Southwest, FLSeptember 19, 2017
It's unfortunate but true since the original founder sold the company it has deteriorated. The new owners primary goal is profit, they have raised prices and changed the product mix which has drove customers to shop elsewhere. Then they brow beat the staff and blame the decreased sales on the store. This area has a District Manger who is arrogant, condescending, and has a bullying management style that demoralizes and demotivates employees. There are no sick days or paid holidays. Pay is low for hourly staff.
Pros
At the management level good pay.
Cons
Long hours, horrible upper management.
Good job for a student or anyone looking for part-time
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 19, 2017
Friendly environment, very respectful management, good hours, and good pay. Every work day, I felt genuinely happy to be there. Looked forward to the next. Fun and good attitudes from everyone.
Chaotic with Corporate Investment group lacking vision
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INSeptember 17, 2017
The corporate leadership lacks vision and convictions on long term planning and goals. Knee jerk reactions with little or no thought process has destroyed sales growth and diminished profits of stores.
Pros
20% employee discounts
Cons
Long hours due to labor cuts
Official response from The Fresh Market
September 18, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. It is very helpful for us to understand your point of view so we can create the best possible workplace for all our employees.

Great for a part-time job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTSeptember 16, 2017
As as part-time worker, and this being a temporary job, I got a good idea of what working for this company was like. Each day for me consisted of customer service, cooking, cleaning, and prepping food. I learned much about what it is like to work in the food/grocery industry, which was difficult, yet also fun. Management at my branch was fantastic; many of the people in charge were dedicated and kind to their employees. The hardest part of the job was doing closing shifts, while the most enjoyable part was slicing meat and cooking.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Inconsistent hours
Changing
Store manager (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLSeptember 13, 2017
Since the new company bought them they lost who they were. They are not a specility store anymore. They do not carry the best foods anymore and the high quility.
A typical day
Deli Manager (Current Employee) –  Hendersonville, TNSeptember 12, 2017
There is never enough help in the departments. Task are sent down from home office with unrealistic expectations, Or product is excepted to be made but you will only get in half of the ingredients
Pros
20% discount
Cons
No mgt support
Excellent workplace
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WISeptember 12, 2017
I enjoyed my job at Fresh Market. They have high quality products. I had excellent knowledge in meats and seafood and could answer the customers' questions.
Pros
Friendly workplace
Cons
Not enough hours
Well the store was closed down
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CA 94303September 12, 2017
Well the store was closed down not much i can say other fill in the blanks. It was an okay job you know retail stock stock. work colleagues were cool people and the customers were great.
Pros
one hour lunch
Cons
no pay raise
Great work environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 12, 2017
The store atmosphere is pleasant and the food standards are high. Corporate culture is firmly planted in food quality and customer service excellence.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
overtime exempt pay
not a good place to work
Meat Manager (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WISeptember 11, 2017
Overall the company is in chaos. this chaos translates to bad decisions being made, by upper management. this really hurts the store level employees, who are then blamed for bad choices they do not make.
Official response from The Fresh Market
September 18, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. Engaging in conversations like these allow us to identify gaps and helps us improve every day.

A good company to work for if you want retail work environment.
Baker (Current Employee) –  Farragut, TNSeptember 11, 2017
If you like retail, this is a good company with good benefits. Many employees remain with this retail company long term.
As with any retail job you have flexible hours but not a lot of control of the hours you work.

I am a current employee and to do not wish to comment further.
location location location
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mount Lebanon, PASeptember 9, 2017
it all really depends on the area. i work at one in north carolina and one in pa. i enjoyed the nc one much more. relaxed and easy going. the pa one was more tense and follow every tiny rule in the book. all in all though both locations were great.
I also loved working at this job.
Pm Baker/Cake Decortaor (Former Employee) –  Destin, FLSeptember 9, 2017
I learned how to be a baker first thing. I was hired on as the closer and within two weeks my manager saw that I could be the baker watching me work fast and teaching me everything. I picked it up very quick.
Very laid back
CUSTOMER SERVICE, MAKE RESERVATIONS, CHECK (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALSeptember 8, 2017
I enjoyed working at fresh market, the co-workers were great, always helping each other out. If the bakery needed help we would send someone back to assist with packageing. Team work!!!
Pros
Discount on our purchases
Cons
Just not enough hours
a typical day at work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 7, 2017
Working at the fresh market is typically a nice quiet environment. However the managers are not so nice and fair. I would recommend a fair treatment as a coworker here.
Perfect for job for working through school
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 7, 2017
The Fresh Market was a great place to work while in school. Management worked with my schedule and allowed me to pursue extra-curricular activities.

I learned time management, working with a team in a department, and how to interact with customers.

The most difficult parts of the job were: dealing with problem-customers, not always having enough people scheduled to do the job well, and having a pay cap.

The best parts of the job were: relaxed management great coworkers.
Pros
Relaxed management, great coworkers
Cons
Pay caps, not enough people scheduled
Pressure at work and cutting hours
Assistant Deli Manager (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCSeptember 6, 2017
I love the work I do there it is fun and love helping the customers. Lack of teamwork. Management never acknowledge good performance.
I've learned a lot about food.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short breaks
Productive and family oriented
Deli associate/Customer service (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 5, 2017
early morning setting up salad and sandwich case, replenishing items when needed, customer service, slicing meat and cheese serving our guests and making sandwiches. I learned that things are so much better when they are fresh and made daily. I believe there were so many managers that each would tell you what to do even if the previous manager put you on another task. They believe that things are better fresh all their items are homemade. Customer service is a number one priority. The hardest part was not having enough staff to complete all our assignments. My passion is customer service I love every aspect of working with the public and that's what enjoy the most.
Pros
Fresh foods
Cons
only PT available

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Fresh Market. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9