The Gazette Employee Reviews

Pay not worth it
Contractor Courier (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJune 13, 2016
As a contractor courier, job simple, hated getting up so early, 7days a week, but once up--it was fine. Trucks that are to bring Gazette to warehouse location on Stone dr, suppose to arrive between 1:30-2am. I arrived at 1:30am, only to find there was a line of at least 75 other couriers ahead of me, waiting to pickup their papers for route. When truck would arrive shortly after, they only had enough paper for about 65 people, with another 40 waiting for their paper; had to wait another hour, for another truck to bring more paper. I was about to get my paper at 2:45am, then it would take another 30mins to roll and bag paper, then load in car. So by the time I drove to my route location, it was about 3:40am. My route usually takes 3.5-4hrs, which would of course run late in delivery.
Contract is for 1 year, $250 fine if breach. Before I signed contract, manager told me, this particular route paid about $400 every 2 weeks, which we are paid by # of papers delivered a day, which estimated to 20 cents per paper. No mileage pay, and you have to buy your own bags for paper, which i was told about 1 cent per bag.
I should of took my time to do the math, before signing contract. I was only to be paid 15 cents a daily paper, and 18 cents sunday papers--which on average was 145 papers daily, and 200 on sunday. Which came to about 330 every 2 weeks, then minus gas, at $50 a week, and cost of bags--which came in a bundle of about 200, so cost around $10 a week. This job is only if you have a real good gas efficient car, and don't mind working for pennies. P.S., contractors are being
  more... paid way less, regular employees making at least 30 cents per paper.  less
Pros
EASY
Cons
PAY...PAY...NO PAY IN MILEAGE, OUT OF POCKET COST TO BAG PAPERS
company had showers for press personnel that work on presses.
ASST. DISTRICT MANAGER CIRCULATION DEPARTMENT (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CONovember 23, 2015
This Was a good company to work for. Management was great, and so was the Benefits. The co-worker was outstanding everyone pitch in to get the jobs done, we had no problems hitting dead lines
Pros
On OT company would bring in lunch
Cons
we work lots of ot
This was a fun and challanging place to work.
Freelance Advertising Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 22, 2014
ADP was a great company and I enjoyed the challange of being in direct sales as well and managing my own time. My co-workers were all young and driven. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting compensated for my hard work through a base salary/commission platform. The hardest part of the job was the stress of always having to hit my numbers, but I did it.
fun place to work
Customer Service and Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 5, 2014
Nice people, very busy environment. Typical day very busy. Management very friendly.
Work was enjoyable
Machine Operator/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 11, 2013
Having a good group of people to work around is great. Production got done when everyone worked together.
Pros
you got benefits
Cons
to much gossip
Good Place Overall
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 3, 2013
Job was Challenging, Tested you skills and creativity, Worked their for 37 years, every day was different meeting tight production deadlines, overcoming many obstacles, challenged the mind and skills, had many great people over the years,
Pros
was overall enjoyable and challenging
Cons
newspapers are in a declining state
Struggling Industry
Regional Director of Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 24, 2013
The Gazette benefitted from being acquired by Clarity Media in late 2012.
Pros
fairly flexible work rules.
Cons
internal communication seemed to be a struggle.
Multi-Media Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 7, 2013
The Colorado Springs Gazette is a great place to work. This is a caring company that takes pride in their employees. The Gazette has a warm family atmosphere and strong reputation in the community.
Pros
great work environment, great management, excellent work hours and benefits
Cons
very little room for advancement opportunities
Good working environment and everything stays the same.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 3, 2012
Afther working there for four years it was a really good job. i started at 7.50 an hour at sixteen and made it to 9.50 when I turned eighteen. I had madical, dental,and a 401k. In the next two years i was able to make it to 12.50 an hour. overall it was a great job when i worked there.
What I do?
Carrier (Current Employee) –  colorado springs, coloradoNovember 3, 2012
I go in at anout midnight and get all my papers that need to be delivered ready and rolled up and load everything in the car and on I go to deliverly them to all the right places.
Pros
it is only for a few hours a night
Cons
pay sucks for the most part and i have to work sevan days a week
Good experience
Copy editor (Former Employee) –  Medina, OhioAugust 29, 2012
Read wire stories. Paginated pages with these stories.

Read local copy.
Family oriented atmosphere
Another employee (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 13, 2012
Working there is stressful however the employees more than make up for it.
Not a good place to work for Creative Professionals
Lead Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 9, 2011
I worked for this company for three years while it was primarily newspaper-focused. Management continually told the graphic designers they are easily replaced. Also strong conservative Republican, and Conservative Christian, values actively promoted (in the company culture as well as the publication itself). Yet as the only newspaper in town, still claimed to be "unbiased in its journalism".
Pros
ok benefits. (only saving grace.)
Cons
poor compensation, no raises, no advancement, uncaring management, biased political & religious agenda