The GEO Group, Inc.

The GEO Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

productive workplace
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee), Indiantown, FLApril 27, 2015
Pros: paid holidays
Cons: had to work holidays
Flexible hours and I liked my coworkers. Most enjoyable part of the job is the diversity. I learned a lot about the Criminal Justice field working at this facility.
unhealthy place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee), Adelanto, CAApril 22, 2015
I worked there for almost a year and had to resign because the closed in room I worked in did not ever get cleaned. There also was Urine keep in a refrigerator which made me sick and caused me to have Ashma Attacks. The Warden told me that I had to mop the floors myself. All of their offices was cleaned daily.
GEO
Web Design Instructor (Current Employee), Moore Haven, FLApril 22, 2015
still feel the same about this company it could be a lot better when it come to the well-being of its employees the compensation can be better pay people basic of there education would be a start this company have very good people working for them however that are not getting paid well for the jobs that they do
Use it to your advantage and look for better opportunities.
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee), Milledgeville, GAApril 21, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: not enough work, not enough respect for the type of work i do.
It's a great starting job and it will help you get experience. I worked as a rad tech there for two and half years. But don't dream of this becoming a full time job. And forget ever being treated like you're one of the team. And the HSA is a real pleasure to work for..not.
Stressful work place
Operations Manager/Inmate Supervisor (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 16, 2015
Pros: advancement
Cons: high turn-over rate
A typical day at work was keeping an eye on your co-worker. You had to make sure that you document everything. The hardest part of the job was to mke sure you watch what you do, and say. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you help someone.
not a bad company to work for overall
MIS Manager, Rivers Correctional Facility (Former Employee), Winton, NCApril 12, 2015
Pros: decent benefits, compensation
Cons: corrections industry is not for everyone
Overall, the company is decent. Security is a priority and they get that aspect right as I always felt safe working here. Learned a lot here and overall everyone that I met were decent people, but it's not for everyone. Each facility within the company would lead to a different experience so it depends on which one you work at. It is a very diverse atmosphere.
Highly loved working at this place very professional
Correctional Program Officer/Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Florence, AZApril 10, 2015
Pros: Professionalism
Cons: none
Management was awesome.
There was room for advancement.
Co-works where like family.
There was no hard part at this job everything was enjoyable there.
It's a job
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 7, 2015
GEO's San Antonio facility is horrible. The building is so filthy and there is mold everywhere. The building itself is falling apart due to its age. The company is either too cheap or does not find it necessary to make proper repairs. The management staff is too large and does not have an actual concept of how the facility operates; their concept is simply theoretical. You will never see them observing a floor. Much of the staff is under qualified and the facility's hiring standards are below what they need to be. This is due to an extremely high turnover rate. Work morale is extremely low. You can literally be walked out any day here. Policy and procedure is important anywhere, however, it needs to be enforced on a daily basis. Policy and procedure practice is only reviewed after an incident or simply from time to time by upper management. The working environment will make you sick. As I mentioned, the mold. After your 16 hour shift, you will feel sick. The food provided to correctional staff is the left overs from what did not get served to inmates. The health inspectors needs to audit this kitchen. Correctional staff is awarded a 31 minute lunch break per 8 hour shift. It is not uncommon to go several shifts without being awarded a break.
The salary for correctional staff is decent because there are so many mandatory overtime shifts. You are required to work three 16 hour shifts plus two regular 8 hour shifts.
If you are looking into working here, I would not discourage you from pursuing your employment here.
Do not work here
MONITOR (Former Employee), Ester, AlaskaApril 7, 2015
Pros: They promote from within
Cons: Long hours, terrible management, terrible pay, no retention plan, knowingly hires worthless employees, management knowingly let residents steal contraband and hides the fact to protect their job
Terrible management, double standards like you won't believe, zero effort to protect good employees. Pay is terrible. For what is asked of you here you can probably make more working at a gas station or Home Depot. Management will protect itself before it protects you. If you have a family avoid this place at all cost
Great experience and wonderful company
Training Administrator (Former Employee), Jena, LAApril 2, 2015
A typical day at work is not the words I would use. You never know what is going to happen from one day to the next. In my opinion, it keeps things interesting, but frustrating at the same time. You learn a lot about yourself and others. The hardest part of the job was the hours. Although I was a salary employee, there were times when I would have to work almost 80 hours a week and I'm a single mother. The best part of the job was being able to go home after a fellow employee told me "thanks" or my supervisor told me "good job".
fun work place
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Eagle Pass, TXApril 2, 2015
Pros: Overtime
Cons: Short breaks
Good place to start the career in correctional officer. good paying job with good benefits.will go work for them again.
Work was hard because very few officers
Corrections Officer (Former Employee), adelanto , CAMarch 30, 2015
While I was working at GEO I would have to work 16 hour days for 6 days a week due to the amount of correctional officers they had working. The pay was decent because of all the overtime but it was hard at first. When we did get more officers it got easier to supervise the inmates.
exact opposite of core company beliefs
officer (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 27, 2015
Pros: acceptable pay
Cons: everything else
If youlisten to reviews beleive this one. If yoi want to work corrections dont start here. You will never go anywhere with this job even attempting to transfer wont work because of the own companies view of this place. Yes you will make 13 dollars an hour it will all sound good but working there is a totally different story. Lets start with walking in the door. You cannot walk in the front door is that back door covered in pigeon feces and dead birds. Noone cares about the appearence and walks or drives over the dead animals on the ground umtil they dry out and a breeze blows the pieces away. You have to operate the video button and wait to be let in most times this does not work. Secondly the video cameras within the facilty to see who is coming in mostly do now work periodically or ever. So they blindly let people in from time to time. You also cannot being food or a drink including medication because of the pounds. Yes pounds . of drugs entering the facility probably daily. The management if you could call them that if currently contemplating strip searching all officers entering/leaving the building. But dont worry this will not include management or other staff because it never has. After said search you will wait for management to meet with you and counsel you on why and how you should be searched. You will hear you assignment go to get keys for you post if the whole system doesnt lock up like it does almost daily. You will call the elevator if its working get in if it opens and doesnt skip you and if someone didnt commendeer the elevator so they dont have to wait to get – more... in. Then finally get in go to your post that maybe 1 of the 3 assigned people with be because noone cares or management tells them they can leave after they whine enough. You probably will be told most things are done haircuts showers ect. But they only say that until the maybe working elevator arrives and they can leave. By the way expect to get stuck in the elevator. Once you assume your post you will probably smell something burning because its either weed, ccigarettes or burned chops to cover said smells. Noone will have actually gone into the units unless made to so there will be all sorts of laundry blankets and cut up shower curtains covering all the windows, lights and walls. Ordering someone to do something youllget brushed off. Placing disciplinary orders on them is impossible because they probably dont have ids because noone asks for them and if you manage to write them up itll get thrown out because management will tear up the disciplinary or do nothing at all. Food there is a joke even you will not want to serve them. Plates are always just sprayed with a hose and reused for the same meal. 99% of the time there is liquid and food hanging off of the plates and smashed between them as they are stacked. And hard water sprayed into the juice container that arent mixed ever. Theyre rec yard has holes and is uneven with writing all over the walls because pat searches dont happen here. Inmates here are so unmonitered that they will be able to break through the brick clear through the building to throw a string down to get drugs. There is no closed fence around this jail so anyone of there family can just walk up and drop off drugs or see you and where you park and what you drive. A lot of the windows in the facility are broken out or just cover with a piece of steel. WHich they manage to pry loose and make any of the 100s of weapons they may have mostly because they are not monitered. Once hired you will have 7 days a week manditory and forced overtime. Refuse and you job will be threatened no matter how much you work. If your going to school to better yourself they do not support it and will fire you if you refuse overtime for school. You will get feces or per thrown on you if you try and make people conform to the rules even be taken hostage at times but dont worry management wont take away privileges. Dont take the chance working here there is work elsewhere. – less
Interesting and excitement
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Laredo, TXMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Travel to other facility and getting to know many people, flexible shifts
Cons: No retirement
its a interesting place to work a typical day is to see fights, having to assemble a five man team to do an extraction of a detainee from his cell some times you see lots of action. I learn to build up my communication skills that makes my work much easier, and team work its the most important thing and safety watching all your surroundings. I enjoy listing to detainees talking on how the end up in prison, and get to know the laws.
Supervisors are terrible
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Plainfield, INMarch 18, 2015
Pros: overtime is always available
Cons: pay is terrible and they dont care for staff the longer they stay
The company is alright however the supervisors are very terrible. Most of the time they only help those who are their friends and are really bad about disclosing personal information to people as well as spread rumors throughout the work place.
stressful work
food supervisor (Former Employee), graceville flaMarch 18, 2015
it would have been better if you were treated more Professional the Manger is not Professional at treating the staff and the Manger wants the staff to treat the inmates mean and expect you to holler at them and use foul lauage toward them and against new rules
Horrible, unsafe.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Overtime available.
Cons: Corruption, horrible management, staff/supervisor relationships, forced overtime.
Inmates will be treated better than you on a typical work day. Captains love one thing. A suck up. Corruption behind every corner. Save yourself the trouble, unless you want 80hr weeks, no breaks, and no back up.
Un organized always changing
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Lawton, OKMarch 15, 2015
Pros: free meal good bennifets
Cons: almost no break and may work alone on units
Geo group in Lawton ok is an always changing facility the wardens do not appear to be on the same page as each other as one says to do something one way another says do it a different way
Positive Work Environment.
Detention Officer (Current Employee), Alexandria, LAMarch 15, 2015
Pros: paycheck
Cons: heathcare
A typical day at work can either be really busy or really slow. While working for Geo I've learned most about different countries. Management is awesome.The hardest part about the job would be the slow nights. The most enjoyable part of the job is the paycheck.
The Geo group was a professional and enjoyable place to work
Field Training Officer (Former Employee), Lawrenceville, VAMarch 13, 2015
Pros: overtime
Cons: health care
The start of my day was conducting fence checks and offender count. I have learned how to communicate with offenders and staff in a respectful and professional way.

1 2 3 4 5

About The GEO Group, Inc.

The GEO Group, Inc. (GEO) is the world's leading provider of correctional, detention, and community reentry services with 106 – Read more

The GEO Group, Inc. Salaries