The GEO Group, Inc.

The GEO Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

Do not work
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Milledgeville, GAFebruary 1, 2016
This place is the worst place I've ever worked. Supervisors play favorites, refuse to assist when needed, and harass employees under them.
Pros
Cons
Everything.
You're just another number and another warm body
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  OklahomaJanuary 29, 2016
First of all, a typical low on the "totem pole" employee will have many different supervisors who will do different things. And you have to pick which task to do, but in the end will pay for it with an butt chewing. And this place is an oxymoron meaning that as a staff member you are not allowed to use profanity with inmates. But the supervisors are quick to use profanity on you. And they are quick to lie on you to higher ups so you can get another butt chewing.
Second, is pay or lack thereof. I have worked for this company for going on 8 years and have only seen 1.99 cent raise in that time. I got a raise because new hires were making more than I was. But my evaluations show excellent. And individuals that use to be down to earth and understanding once they get promoted the rank goes to there heads' and they forget where they came from. Also, nepotism comes into play if "know" someone you can get the positions you want, the assignments you want, and even days off you want. If you are not well liked, you will get the rough assignments, no time off, and forced to work overtime.
Third, is time off. While working here they constantly will take you days off and force you to work. Which we labeled "voluntold". No mater if you have plays for that day off, or even if you asked in advance for that day off. They can and will take it away at a moments notice and will write you up for not coming in your day off. And there is this point system for clocking your time. If your late you get a point, if you clock in too earlier you get a point, if you don't clock in
  more... at all you get 6 points, and at 12 points you get a write up. That's how it goes. But the people I see call in all the time never get write-up? Also working all day sometimes 10 hours at a time with no break can wear on you as well.
Fourth, lack of safety and concern. There is a lack on concern for anyone. And a lack of sympathy for anyone. I understand what the inmate did to get to prison, but in the end they are human beings. But at times they are treated horribly for no clear reason at all. And the food is terrible have gotten food poisoning on number of occasions. And the food given to the inmates are always cold.
Fifth, you are treated as guilty until you prove your innocence. Meaning if an allegation is against you from anyone inmate and staff, you are guilty. And will be treated guilty until you can prove your innocence. If an inmate says you are "dirty" (meaning bringing in contraband to inmates), but doesn't say "how" or "why" and it could be an anonymous letter. You are determined "dirty" until you can prove your not. And they will say you are being watched.
I could say more but I digress. I don't know much about Geo Group the company, but as far as Geo Group in the local prison as much to be desired of. It is the people running the place is why so many are leaving in droves. Good hard working individuals. I am one of them on the way out as well. You can only beat a good horse for so long until they just up and quit. And won't take it anymore.
Pros
Not much, job with some benefits
Cons
Low pay, low morale, lack of job security, lack of joy, terrible food, no time off.
fun and exciting
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INJanuary 25, 2016
As with any private prison, they all get bad reputations however in my time i have not encountered very many. Always had great management staff that cared for all employees
alot of experience
Property Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Hobbs, NMJanuary 15, 2016
In my job as a correctional property officer I learned how to communicate with all different types of people. I was able to learn how to keep my personal life separate from work and be very professional with everyone even if I didn't agree with who or what they were.
Run don't walk
Financial (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaDecember 28, 2015
Run don't walk away from this organization. As a whole this is a very poorly run top down culture that does not value its biggest asset... it's people. This employer is extremely disorganized and very dishonest. Get everything in writing.
Pros
Cons
Poor corporate culture and great pay only at the Corporate Level
Great learing experiece
Personal care aide (Former Employee) –  sandersville, GADecember 22, 2015
I loved dealing with each patient daily. Working with people is an great aspect especially when you are able to make a difference in someone else lives. Being able to help a person whom can't help themselves is a warming feeling.
Warning Geo is a horrible place to start off in corrections.
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 9, 2015
This company has one of the highest turn over rates in America. Yes, it's true you can advance quickly, but it's a lot of politics. It's always short staffed so that means long working days. Also, you will be working a lot on days you're supposed to be off. The inmates were no problem at all; however, the staff are a different issue. I've seen many people get treated unfairly, and they are racist. If you are a person of integrity and high moral standards this isn't the place for you. They do not train people properly and this risks your safety. Run away from this company and invest your hard work else where.
Terrible
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Adelanto, CADecember 5, 2015
Absolutely the worst company I have ever worked for. 12-16 hours a day with no warning. Not paid enough. Same job pays double in the next city over. Compensation is not worth it. Treated like you aren't worth the companies time and you are always expendable
As others say... RUN!
Officer (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKDecember 2, 2015
I started working here and was so excited to begin a new career... After about 6 months I started seeing the truth. Officers are worked to a breaking point for only $12 an hour. They treat people bad and wonder why they stay short staffed to a point that it's dangerous. About 9 out of 12 months you're having to work 7 days on with 1 day off because of the staff percentage, and even by doing that you're still on a housing unit alone by yourself. And forget about asking for a day off, they will punish you for it some way or another. The inmates are the easiest part of the job, its the higher staff you have to worry about. In a setting where everybody is suppose to have each others back, it's everybody for themselves. They say there are no punishment post, truth is, there is... They say there isn't because that would be illegal. They play favorites on where you're posted instead of posting everybody in different areas. It doesn't pay enough for me to give up family time and my social life. The prison in hinton oklahoma pays $16+ an hour starting out and paid benefits.... go there instead!
Pros
They have pros?
Cons
might get a 15 minute break once a week, insurance sucks and goes up every year, no social life, no family time, they care more for the inmates than staff, if you get hurt they will find a way not to pay you, if they don't like you they will find a reason to put you on admin leave
GEO Group Inc.
Falfurrias, Texas Transportation Officer (Former Employee) –  Falfurrias, TXNovember 29, 2015
This company has a strong core ethics. Everything is done by the book and everyone is encouraged to do their best. As a Transport Officer, one would be on time, obtain orders, perform vehicle inspections, obtain weapons, shackle inmates for transport, and leave facility to destination on a timely manner. We would keep logs and update them daily to on top of DOT regulations. Although, our groups were not obligated to obtain a CDL, we did maintain regulations up to date for DOT. Due to such restraints and demands of the class of work, work life balance would suffer. One would conduct 12 hour shifts leaving little time to tend to home matters. The best part of the job was having a 180 degree office view with little supervision. The hardest part of the job was the long days of 12 hours plus. I lived 1 hour away from work. Over all, it is a good job.
Pros
Best paying job in the city of Falfurrias, TX
Cons
Long days
No advancement No life
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 23, 2015
If you just want money and do not care about if you spend the whole day and life being treated like a child with NO recognition for your hard work, years on the job, or respect for gender? Go right a head. If you do care? Wrong job.
very stressful place to work
Sergeant (Current Employee) –  LawrencevilleNovember 16, 2015
It not the company it's who they hire to run it because at LVCC it's only one captain that treat you fair the others if you don't sleep with them or party with them they treat you any kind of way and if you go talk to administration about them they go back and tell them and they make the work place a hostile work environment where you don't even want to come to work.
Pros
off every other weekend
Cons
captains pay and favoritism
CORRUPT AND RACIST
teacher (Current Employee) –  Milton, FLNovember 15, 2015
Worst place ever, officers are abusive to inmates, staff do not like each other they try to,ruin each other daily. Management could care less, you will not advance if you are black.
This center should be shut down!!!!!!!!!!
Benefits
who would even apply?
LPN (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 15, 2015
Really, 15.60/hour? That's an insult! You will never get qualified staff at this rate of pay. I can't believe you would even post this wage you are offering. The STNA's in the Cleveland area make more than that! What is wrong with this company?
Pros
??
Cons
You have no clue how much to pay an LPN in OHIO
Terrible management and workforce
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  New Castle, INNovember 12, 2015
Forced overtime
Low compensation for risks
Political environment
Inadequate training
Was approaching 60% turnover rate

All this aside, you will find that you will find it rewarding in the skill sets and friendships you acquire.
Pros
Has minimal gym, potential training
Cons
No breaks at times, poor management
Good job if you live nearby
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Milton, FLNovember 9, 2015
GEO has pretty good job security. Advancement in the right departments. new facility with many up to date features and they are always looking for good people
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
stressful environment and ever changing policies and personnel
It is what it is
Lieutenant/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milledgeville, GANovember 4, 2015
could be a great place to work if upper management actually cared about it's staff. if you work here you should know that you're just as expendable and exchangeable as the inmates you're watching
Pros
cant really say
Cons
Does not care about staff
One of the best places to work for.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  New Castle, INOctober 29, 2015
I enjoyed and miss the work. I would suggest it to anyone who likes this type of work. Great company, great stafff, and teachers. I wouldn't change anything.
Pros
benifits
Cons
Hours
The correctional setting is a very interesting environment.
Health Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  McFarland, CAOctober 29, 2015
Health Services Administrator is a demanding & challenging job. I can honestly say I enjoyed almost every minute of it. It truly was my dream job. Other positions in the medical department are also rewarding.
Great Company to work for
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Moore Haven, FLOctober 29, 2015
This job allows opportunity to grow and is a great career and job security. I truly enjoyed working for GEO and the people I worked for.