The GEO Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

Difficult environment with little pay
Program Coun (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, ILNovember 16, 2017
The job itself isn't bad if you are interested in substance abuse treatment/mental health, but the environment makes the job challenging. The pay is pretty bad for the amount of education the company requires.
workplace culture
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKNovember 15, 2017
The workplace culture was not really a good atmosphere for a prison environment. Many employees were not observant of their surroundings, which lead to policies and procedures not being followed. But instead shortcuts were used on a daily basis .
Pros
good work experience
Cons
unsafe environment and unsafe conditions
PTSD for Real
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CANovember 14, 2017
Micro management is abusive, and very stressful, lots of unnecessary work. I learned a lot, even with a degree, not able to reach my fullest potential, by doing everything in the office, hard to get your work completed, not a good place to work, it could kill you from the stress. Can’t breathe.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Favoritism
Um Yeah
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXNovember 13, 2017
Its a job that pays well. Its one story as opposed to four stories! When available you can get a lot of over time. Over time in different areas other than the usual.
Pros
Its pays
Cons
Everything else
Inviting and Professional
Supervising Counselor - Assessment Supervisor (Former Employee) –  McFarland, CANovember 12, 2017
GEO Group is a great place to work and they take very good care of their employees. They are growing and expanding at a higher rate than expected. They are going to do some good things for all communities, especially the incarcerated population. They pay well. The workplace culture is professional and hard working. The hardest part of the job was working was anytime the clients would fight and be sent back to state. The most enjoyable was watching the ladies grow and develop and parole with many new options they didn't have before GEO.
Pros
Holiday Celebrations
Cons
Gravel parking
Very stressful place to work
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 9, 2017
I would work an average of 8 1/2 per day. I have learned a great deal about Case Management. There is a lot of turnover. The hardest part of the job was watching residents returned to custody. The best part of the job was watching the growth of some residents.
Pros
watched some ex-felons turn their lives around.
Cons
expensive health care, no cost of living raises
Once in a life time
Assistant Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Lockhart, TXNovember 7, 2017
I truly enjoyed working at GEO. I had to get over the fear of being locked in an area with offenders. But once I was there a week, I was okay. The offenders respected me and my position of Food Service Manager Assistant. The office employees were great. Warden was great. Benefits were awesome. The pay was low, but the insurance made up for it..
Pros
benefits, close to home
Cons
stressful environment
The geo group/ btc
Detention Officer/Shift Lt. (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLNovember 7, 2017
Poor management, from the Warden on down to some or all of the shift supervisors. LOTS of favoritism toward the African Americans at that facility. No respect for officers that do there jobs, and no chance in advancement unless you rub noses with the right people. Overall, I would not recommend my worst enemy to work there.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Very stressful enviroment.
It's an okay place.
Corrections Officer I (Current Employee) –  Florence, AZNovember 5, 2017
Its an okay place to work. Some of them won't allow facial hair on men despite it being for religious beliefs, and your home life suffers because you work a lot of hours.
Terrible place to work
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 5, 2017
I would advise anyone to keep looking and not to choose this place for employment. If you are new to the field I would not recommended this job. You will not learn anything for your next position in life. You have no room for advancement and you will not make it successfully, if this is your first job. This place expects you to work Monday through Sunday 24 hours a day. You will have no time to spend with your family, you won't even have time to breathe. Not to mention that the driving is total wear and tear on your car. You do not make enough money here to repair your car and pay bills.
Pros
Coworkers are nice
Cons
You drive your car around town and can't even get your mileage on time.
Dont' work here unless you need the money
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 4, 2017
money is okay, management is the worst. Cut throat environment where the managers don't look out for you. Long hours and no recognition of your hard work.
Pros
Pay is good to start
Cons
everything else
Summary
Vocational Instructor - P C Specialist (Former Employee) –  Clayton, NMNovember 4, 2017
It was a very stressful job working with inmates. You had to be watchful at all times because you never knew when or where a fight might break out or an employee attacked by an inmate.
Pros
My supervisor
Cons
Inmates
Learned to manage the patient population better
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  South Bay, FLNovember 1, 2017
Highly dangerous work environment due to the correctional setting. Staff is supportive of each other and the management was the best I've ever dealt with.
Poor management kills a decent job
Detention/Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXNovember 1, 2017
The job isn't bad if you are allowed to do it. Supervisors are quick to side against employees just to avoid conflict with detainees. Each shift is consistently blaming one another for short comings. There is no room for advancement, when supervisor positions come available, management goes outside the facility to fill them.
Terrible management/moral/ and teamwork
Shift Lieutenant (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, INOctober 29, 2017
They preach we are family. Nothing is further from the truth. Management only cares about their bonus checks. Staffing is terrible. Staff is over worked, underpaid and under appreciated. It's a back stabbing, throw people under the bus lovers paradise!! Hard work and loyalty is never rewarded. They love those who are willing to plant their noses deeply in the recesses of their nether regions. They are scared to death of minorities of any kind saying they are being treated unfairly whether the claim is proven or not.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Back stabbing...no teamwork....no support from upper management....understaffed...unsafe
Fast paced work environment
CLASSIFICATION/DETENTION OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Adelanto, CAOctober 21, 2017
This is a fast paced environment to work and is a stepping stone to various law enforcement positions. The hardest part of the job is learning your balance.
Moral Is Low
Junior Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Big Spring, TX 79720October 18, 2017
Up until recently I would have recommended The GEO Group, Inc.. The people are great. The work was challenging and interesting. I learned a lot. There are a lot of changes here and they are not for the betterment of the company.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
High priced Health care, low employee moral
Company tempo
Youth Development Operations Leader (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COOctober 17, 2017
The company is a good company to work for. Your typical day is interacting with troubled youth and keeping their environment safe for them and other youth. I learned a lot from the youth and supervisors above me. The work is demanding but can be fun. The most enjoyable time is when the youth are smiling and having fun.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch or dinner depending on the shift you work
Cons
Overtime is plentiful.
Challenging but Great Pay
Detention Housing Officer (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 17, 2017
Mandatory overtime and LOTS OF IT make the already great pay unbelievable for a fairly easy security and detention supervision role. But the long hours and low morale will erode your soul and crush you emotionally. If you can handle the despair of the detainees, the language barriers, and the institutional mindset, this is the job for you (except they are rarely looking to hire).
Pros
Super great pay
Cons
Crushing amount of mandatory OT hours
Excellent learning experience
CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Milledgeville, GAOctober 9, 2017
GEO is an awesome place that will help prepare you for advancement. Working at GEO you will have to wear many different hats and function in multiple roles. I've truly learned so many skills that I know will be beneficial for me throughout my career.
Pros
Hours, flexibility
Cons
Management, professionalism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The GEO Group, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7