The GEO Group, Inc.

The GEO Group, Inc. Employer Reviews

Interesting and excitement
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Laredo, TXMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Travel to other facility and getting to know many people, flexible shifts
Cons: No retirement
its a interesting place to work a typical day is to see fights, having to assemble a five man team to do an extraction of a detainee from his cell some times you see lots of action. I learn to build up my communication skills that makes my work much easier, and team work its the most important thing and safety watching all your surroundings. I enjoy listing to detainees talking on how the end up in prison, and get to know the laws.
Supervisors are terrible
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Plainfield, INMarch 18, 2015
Pros: overtime is always available
Cons: pay is terrible and they dont care for staff the longer they stay
The company is alright however the supervisors are very terrible. Most of the time they only help those who are their friends and are really bad about disclosing personal information to people as well as spread rumors throughout the work place.
stressful work
food supervisor (Former Employee), graceville flaMarch 18, 2015
it would have been better if you were treated more Professional the Manger is not Professional at treating the staff and the Manger wants the staff to treat the inmates mean and expect you to holler at them and use foul lauage toward them and against new rules
Un organized always changing
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Lawton, OKMarch 15, 2015
Pros: free meal good bennifets
Cons: almost no break and may work alone on units
Geo group in Lawton ok is an always changing facility the wardens do not appear to be on the same page as each other as one says to do something one way another says do it a different way
Positive Work Environment.
Detention Officer (Current Employee), Alexandria, LAMarch 15, 2015
Pros: paycheck
Cons: heathcare
A typical day at work can either be really busy or really slow. While working for Geo I've learned most about different countries. Management is awesome.The hardest part about the job would be the slow nights. The most enjoyable part of the job is the paycheck.
The Geo group was a professional and enjoyable place to work
Field Training Officer (Former Employee), Lawrenceville, VAMarch 13, 2015
Pros: overtime
Cons: health care
The start of my day was conducting fence checks and offender count. I have learned how to communicate with offenders and staff in a respectful and professional way.
WORKING WITH FAMILIES AND INMATES TO HELP WITH DIFFERENT PROBLEMS AND REVIEWING THEIR SENTENCES AND FILES.
Inmate Records- Classifcation Clerk (Current Employee), Graceville FlMarch 11, 2015
REVIEW INMATE RECORDS, ANSWER PHONE CALLS, FILING, MAILING, CUSTOMER SERVICE, WORKING WITH DIFFERENT PROGRAMS, COPYING MACHINE, FAX MACHINE.
CD-ROMS AND DIFFERENT COMPANY PROGRAMS .
VAULT AND INMATE AUDITS. ANSWERING INMATE REQUESTS.
productive
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 10, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks
Correctional officers, also known as detention officers, are responsible for overseeing

Individuals who have been arrested and are awaiting trial or who have been convicted of a

Crime and sentenced to serve time in a jail, reformatory, or penitentiary. The jail population

Changes constantly as some are released, some are convicted and transferred to prison, and

New offenders are arrested and enter the system.
Everyday is Different!
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Florence AzMarch 9, 2015
Pros: overtime
Cons: overtime
I go to my post and interact with inmates and staff. I uphold policies by writing tickets to inmates for not complying to the rules. Depending where I'am posted will determine what my day will be like.
Stepping stone only!
correctional officer (Current Employee), milledgeville, gaMarch 6, 2015
Pros: being able to deal with all types of people
Cons: lack of leadership, consistency, unorganized, etc
If you're looking to work at a facility where being fair, firm and consistent DOESN'T exist, this is the place for you! Alot of inappropriate relationship, majority of everyone here is sleeping with each other, in all dept. The inmates here is spoil rotten! I really see an escape happening real soon bc of laziness and getting to comfortable with the inmates. Alot of personal dealers( not just co's, it's LT, SGTs, nurses, etc) and the sad thing about it they know who and fail to terminate them Bc they're crooked as well. ALOT of favoritism and too big of place to be unorganized and without structure. The warden on down to sgts, lack leadership skills, they cant tell others what to do so the staff along with the inmates are way out of hand.
over worked and under supported
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: pay and overtime
Cons: support
they demand that you work 16hr days most times 3-4 days in a row. you feel you get no support from your supervisors. they will fire you for situations you have no control over
Need Help BAD
LVN (Former Employee), Adelanto, CAFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: favoritism, paid time off, inexperienced management
Schedule changes in a moment notice and if you're off work when it changes, too bad you should check your email on your day off. No vacation or sick days accumulated, only PTO and holiday pay which is shy of 8 hrs a month. Favoritism toward certain employees that reflects on the other staff as being unfair. Watch your nursing scope of practice, they will assist that you do something that maybe questionable. You will be fully responsible. Over two years we went through four department heads. No shift differential.
Dangerous Outcomes
Case Management (Former Employee), Conroe, TXFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: working hours; cafeteria; and co-workers.
Cons: poor management; politics more important than the offenders care; and cronyism too.
Worked MH offender unit as case manager. Peers were great and everyone cared deeply for their work and offenders. Unfortunately politics and brown nosing were the only path to advancement and protocols for infectious disease was not followed properly at this facility. I understand that inherently the risk is higher just based on the population. When 3 out of 5 employees end up with TB that says something to me.

Corporate is out of touch with reality of what happens in these hospitals and Director of Facilities only cares about getting a good name for company to maintain contracts and by extension their job.
GREAT WORK EXPERIENCE
Assistant Case Manager (Current Employee), Perth Amboy, NJFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: short commute
Cons: working on the weekends
LOG ON TO COMPUTER, GENERATE AND PRINT ALL ROSTERS NEEDED FOR THE DAY. ANSWER EMAILS, PREPARE THE REPORTS FOR THE DAY. GREET PARTICIPANTS, LOG IN PARTICIPANTS. UPDATE THE FILES THAT NEED UPDATING. ANSWER TELEPHONE CALLS, TAKE MESSAGES FOR OTHER EMPLOYEES. I WORK AT A SMALL OFFICE, BUT EVERYONE PRETTY MUCH WORKS ON THEIR OWN. THE ATMOSPHERE IS LEARN AS YOU GO OR LEARN AS YOU MAKE MISTAKES KIND OF PLACE. HARDEST PART OF MY JOB IS NOT HAVING A REAL TEAMWORK PLACE ENVIRONMENT. WORKING AS A TEAM PLAYER WAS SOMETHING I WAS ACCUSTOMED IN ALL MY PREVIOUS EMPLOYMENTS. THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF MY JOB IS THE ABILITY TO HELP OTHERS.
A Great Place
Special Housing Unit (SHU) Lieutenant (Current Employee), Pecos, TexasJanuary 20, 2015
It is a place where people have your back and have your best interests at heart.
Typical prison environment but with corporate setting
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee), Florence, AZJanuary 15, 2015
Extremely understaffed and very overworked. Mandatory OT made work weeks equivalent to two full time jobs with a single day off if you were lucky.
fun work
Corrections Officer (Former Employee), Lockhart, TXJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: great job good money
Cons: forced overtime
Enjoyed working There just needed a change of pace cons were the forced Overtime I almost missed my first daughters first christmas and birthday
Initial excellent working environment
Case Specialist ATD Immigration Program (Former Employee), Baltimore, MarylandJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: gained knowledge of immigration procedure
Cons: disappointment with upper managers
Five employees worked well together, got the job done and never had an unfavorable audit. The job was long hours, sometimes little sleep, salary not compatible to work load. We stayed together through three managers. A fourth manager arrived telling us day one everything we were doing was wrong. She was rude to employees. Three employees left for other jobs. New hires came and went. The revolving door was over 12 employees who quit. A red light should have gone off but the other cheek was turned. Finally after suffering a very bad accident I resigned before returning to the unchanged environment.
attention to detail
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Lawton, OKJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: coworkers
Cons: dangerous place to work at
Learned a lot of working with others that will have your back when it comes to work in a prison with inmates.
Not good
Correctional Sergeant (Current Employee), Lawrenceville, VAJanuary 2, 2015
.Pay is not that good when compared to state correctional officers who have the same duties.

1 2 3 4 5

About The GEO Group, Inc.

The GEO Group, Inc. (GEO) is the world's leading provider of correctional, detention, and community reentry services with 106 – Read more

The GEO Group, Inc. Photos