The GEO Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

Productive work place
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  Florence, AZDecember 29, 2016
Good work environment.
Good co-workers.
Learning new ways to cook.
Hardest part was making sure everything got clean.
Pros
Got to eat free food
Cons
Short breaks
Secure and productive work place
Resident Security (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 20, 2016
Usually a regular day at work is fun, because i get to learn the background of inmates and teach them new things they have not learned. I also get to strengthen my management skills, and continue to grow in management areas I need improvement in. I would say the hardest part about the job is dealing inmates disrespectful attitudes, But the most enjoyable part of my days working with G.E.O would be receiving awards, or being honored for doing excellent work with the company.
Excellent Company to work for
Transitional Counselor (Current Employee) –  Delano, CADecember 19, 2016
I have to say out of all the places and companies I have ever been involved with, The GEO Group has been my absolute favorite. They have a family structure atmosphere, and a real hands on type of experience to help- guide and mold you. They are a company who are very competitive with wages and benefits. If you want to advance and grow, then this is the company.
Pros
You get PTO, Sick and holiday pay.
Cons
Fast pace work environmaent
You will learn and recieve lots of Experience
LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 11, 2016
Management was excellent! Good co-workers and the hardest part of my job is leaving. Most enjoyable was the people I met in the company and would return as needed.
Benefits
learning
Recreation Specialist- I (Current Employee) –  Big Spring, TXDecember 10, 2016
you learn something new every day. must always be on your toes. always watching what or who is around you at all times.it not a job for those who angry easy
Decent Job / No Home Life
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  New Castle, IN 47362December 8, 2016
The job itself wasn't too bad, even though you are around inmates all day. It is a respect thing, you give them proper respect and they will respect you back. Your fellow Officers are generally easy to work with, or at least when I was there. They literally draft for OT on a daily basis and I was even locked inside the facility multiple times when i worked in the Annex until they found enough people to stay. To me it seemed like the brass there didn't really care if you had a family or any type of life outside of the prison. They wanted you to dedicate your life to them and after working so much overtime and not feeling appreciated while working and doing that, I got burned out and just couldn't stay.
Pros
Lots of OT
Cons
No home life
Okay
Behavior Change Manager (Current Employee) –  Lumberton, NCDecember 6, 2016
No room for advancement and pay is kept very low. My supervisor has favorites and the atmosphere is always tense. Fellow coworkers are fed up with the pay and all are looking to advance.
Good place to work but no structure or room for advancment.
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 6, 2016
After 5 years if service this is one of the worst company's i have worked for. I have seen people get fired without going through any process and use the term immediate termination clause so many times. When it's convenient for them they will use any policy or procedure against you at a convenient time and keep you on administrative leave up to a year till you quite so rhey wont have to pay unemployment.
great opportunity
CORRECTIONS OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Lovejoy, GADecember 4, 2016
had a great experience and learne alot. However I think screening should be better before hiring. Some people start and the a month or two later they let people go because of what they find in the background. I had seen alot of good potentials being let go because of a speeding ticket not reported on the appliction from 5 years ago...Crazy
productive workplace
Monitor (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 3, 2016
pretty easy , normal work day , checking people , pat downs shake downs, headcount walkthrough, etc. I learned to always watch my surrounding, my coworker aren't the best and some are the best, the hardest part of the jobs is seeing somebody give up on life . seeing smiles on the face knowing that they over came challenge
Terrible
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 29, 2016
Worst place to work in Richmond, they are so unorganized and nobody knows whats going on there. They use a temp company to hire CSS's and they end up having a high turnover rate...
Daily Activity
Correctional Supervisor, Lieutenant (Current Employee) –  Karnes City, TXNovember 23, 2016
A typical work day brings about being able to coordinate multiple task while working with different departments while communicating with my front line staff and the general population. To include the daily intake and transportation of inmates to and from our current clients. One thing I have learned is that even though our facility is small our incoming and departing number of inmates is around 140 to 200 on a daily bases. The hardest part about my co-workers is that we deal with a lot of young staff who are inexperience and lack motivation. One of the most enjoyable things about my job is being able to teach and guide these young officers and mold them into a good senior officer and help them pursue a career in criminal justice or in a related field.
Pros
Free Food, Tuition Assistance
Cons
Rare Breaks, Young Staff
unprofessional
Social Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 22, 2016
Unprofessional and a culture like high school cliques. An HR persons nightmare. i was unable to manage effectively because if my answer was not what they wanted they went over my to the director and got what they wanted.
Executives jobs weren't being done
Corrections Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INNovember 12, 2016
GEO Group Inc. is a great company if your looking to advance in your Corrections career. However, The GEO Group Inc. manages "Heritage Trails Correctional Facility" in Plainfield, IN. I spent almost 4 years there, and I can confidently say that their Executive Staff was terrible! They didn't "practice what they preached", if you will. When something went wrong, they were sooo quick to point fingers at everyone else, except for themselves. They showed no visible leadership, and weren't grateful for hard work, or at least they didn't express it.
Pros
Great pay, advancement is guaranteed
Cons
No breaks, long hours
Fun Place
Correctional Sergeant/BLS Instructor (AHA) (Former Employee) –  South Bay, FLNovember 5, 2016
• Enforce rules and keep order within the prison to ensure safety
• Supervise activities of inmates maintain accurate counts of Inmates at all times
• Communicate with Inmates to give instructions and listen to their complaints or problems
• Inspect facility to ensure that the standards are met and ensure all equipment are operable
Poor personel management, uncaring supervisors.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Milton, FLNovember 4, 2016
Not the company you would ever want to work for. Staff shortages, forced extended working days, favoritism, "good old boy"network.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Horrible company
Great Company but...
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Jena, LAOctober 25, 2016
I enjoyed working for GEO-Group. It is a great company with opportunity for advancement in the company. It was a fairly safe place to work as long as you followed policy and didn't show favoritism. The pay was great. My managers were impeccable but were sometimes very rude. I definitely have more pros than cons.

There were a bunch of times when we didn't even get a lunch or a break in our 12.5 hour work day. That was mostly due to not having enough staff so it couldn't be avoided. I personally think a 30 minute lunch for a 12 hour shift is a bit ridiculous as it doesn't allow nearly enough time to get food and eat.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with lazy co workers. Some officers would rather talk on the phone for 12 hours rather than do their jobs. There were times when I did bunk searches and found 12+ razors when the razors should have been micromanaged.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being placed in different departments inside the facility. I loved learning how to truly be an asset to the company by not being bound to only one thing.

Despite the bad I loved working for GEO-Group. I would definitely recommend this job.
Pros
great pay, opportunity for advancement, easy job for the pay, fairly safe
Cons
Short breaks, understaffed, lazy co workers
You either love it or hate it
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Lawton, OKOctober 19, 2016
I love corrections. It is fast paced and always changing. it requires you to always be on your toes and you literally have to trust your co-workers with your life. At any given time you are by yourself with 300 adult male inmates that don't care about you. you have to keep the peace and maintain a safe working environment for everyone.
Pros
free lunches, decent benefits, 3 weeks paid vacation
Cons
No real breaks, no lunch breaks
Geo
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Hudson, COOctober 18, 2016
I loved working for geo hope to work there again good atmosphere great team work I enjoyed the hours great bennifits great hours overtime is huge and you can take advantage of it but the hardest part of the day is keeping a quiet day
demanding, stressful , but a great place to work at.
Food Servervice Manager (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXOctober 18, 2016
Very Stressful, demanding and fast environment, which I enjoyed.
Learned how to manage people and follow customers policy.
Management would on several occasionally would not be available to assist you which you had to make an on the spot decision
Pros
N/A
Cons
Management, long hours, and very little assistance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The GEO Group, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8