The GEO Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

Harriable
Correctional Officers and Jailers (Former Employee) –  Kinder, LAMarch 31, 2017
The hardest part of this job is dealing with the inmates for 12 hrs., We were very underpaid for the type of danger our life's were constantly in. Plus the inmates have more say so then the officer's. I will never work this type of job again.
Work was constructive.
FOOD SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  McFarland, CAMarch 24, 2017
Work was constructive, and management was very supportive. There was team work, and job security. There was dead lines in which we had to meet however with team work we got them accomplished.
Pros
Team work
Cons
dead lines
Fast Paced
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New Castle, INMarch 22, 2017
Company gave many chances to allow for advancement but once at a certain level there would be no more advancement for years at a time. Working for 7 years with the company I gained one advancement and I am ready to obtain different obstacles in my life.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Offenders
Impractical scaling
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Heritage trails correctional facilityMarch 20, 2017
It's a long day and management usually are young entitled adults.

They usually treat staff just like they treat the inmates

I would recommend applying to the doc and not geo

The inmates are more trust worthy than the seargent
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Bad management, terrible pay
poor managers no corporate support or interest
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 20, 2017
The local facility is not interested in the well-being of the staff or the inmates. Corporate repeatedly supports the wrongdoings as long as it can be covered up and hidden from the public and the contract owner.
Geo is a for-profit corrections operator, therefore, the culture is to be profitable not please the employee or the inmates.
Pros
decent front line staff
Cons
deception, deceit and poor mangement
Productive day and night
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Del Rio, TXMarch 19, 2017
Typical work day is always busy but definetly makes your day go by fast! The hardest part of the job is being away from family. From 8 to 16 hour shifts a day does drain you but hey it puts food on the table and gets your bills paid.
Pros
great benefits!
Cons
short breaks, short staff
Full-time job
Mail Room Clerk, Cleveland Unit (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TXMarch 16, 2017
Full time job. Health insurance. Manage all incoming and outgoing mail. Daily staff meetings. Learned good communication skills. Worked with specific programs.
Pros
wonderful staff to work with
Cons
low pay
Family oriented staff, great benefit
Monitor One (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 15, 2017
I loved working here! Unfortunately, I was laid off. But the thing I missed the most about working here was my coworkers. They were like family to me.
If you like be beat up this is the job for you
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 12, 2017
You are a glorified babysitter that gets beaten up. They're not honest with you. I was never informed that I would be required to do a on service call basically you're forced to work that shift even if you have a family
excellent co-workers
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Big Spring, TXMarch 12, 2017
Great place to work with good ability to advance and for promotions. Lots of overtime on occasions. Always looking for new employees and great for young individuals
Cons
poor insurance chioces
Horrible
Instructor (Former Employee) –  McFarland, CAMarch 11, 2017
Do not work here. Such a corrupt company to work for. Stay away, far away. You will get harassed from all departments, even from the warden. Everyone is out to get you fired. Supervisors do not care for their own. The list can go on and on.
Pros
Good starting job in the security field
Cook (Current Employee) –  Karnes City, TX 78118March 11, 2017
Good benefits; nice, clean environment; some advancement; friendly people and co-workers.
3 shifts, 7 days a week, 365 a year.
everyday is a learning experience.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Adhere to Correctional policies
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Big Spring, TXMarch 10, 2017
Safety and security of detainees and transportation to and from other units per housing requirements. Escorted to the hospital and back with the use of restraints.
Unprofessional and corrupt co workers and staff
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, VAMarch 6, 2017
Soon as I got hired within a matter of time on compound I notice alot of unsafe conditions. Co workers treat you like inmates and inmates like co workers. Inmates have the most say so and can determine your job. If you always find contraband and do job right, inmates become heated and write up staff. The company likes to hide things that goes on and when you bring it up they don't know what you're talking about. Staff members tell your business to inmates. You give 100% and get back nothing. It's hard to watch your back and employees back while trying to monitor inmates during movements. Staff members only care about their clique or themselves. No security.if you have a problem it's no need to address it because upper level will not solve it and there is no confidentiality.
Pros
Where at???
Cons
Long list
Active, stern work place
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Big Spring, TXMarch 5, 2017
My time at GEO was great when I first started. I had the motivation to work in a place most people wouldn't even think about working at. I loved my job at first then we got shorted staffed the mandatory list which was required for us correctional officers to work and extra 4 to 8 hours due to being short staffed. It was a great experience no doubt but taken a toll as we became short staffed.
What we do Daily
Correction Officer (Current Employee) –  Jena, LAMarch 5, 2017
At work we feed the detainees then they clean. Around 7 am we begin to inform the detainees what appointments they have for the day.
Pros
salary, free food
Cons
No breaks
Great fast paced hands on security job
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  La Villa, TXMarch 5, 2017
This company has really good medical benefits for the employee only, if you decide to add a dependent than it starts to get expensive.
Paid vacation, earn 2.5 days of vacation per check
A change of pace
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  La Villa, TXMarch 2, 2017
Wouldn't mind working for a school district or Juvenile facility. Would like a job maybe Monday thru Friday to spend some quality time with family.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
short breaks
horrible management
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Milton, FLFebruary 28, 2017
Management sucks there isn't much communication between corporate and management. Management mostly only promotes their buddies. There is over crowding in the programs building where they hold education. And most of the time there is only one officer watching over 400 plus inmates in education. The higher ups say the officer doesn't need help that its not in the policy when the officer asks for it.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
bad management
Do not work for this company
Field Training Officer (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKFebruary 26, 2017
Working at a prison absolutely sucks. You get paid less than what you should for constantly putting your life and health on the line. You're only scheduled 8 hour days but you never get out in time because you have to wait on the next shift to relieve you from your post. And every shift is short handed, so not only do you typically end up having to work 7 days straight with only one day off, but if the relieving shift is short handed you basically have to draw straws with your shift mates to see who has to stay over to help. Regularly average 120 hours in a pay period. Safest place to be is on the night shift when all the inmates are locked down for the night.
Pros
Marginal pay
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The GEO Group, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7