The GEO Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

Terrible management team
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, AZAugust 13, 2017
This is the first employer i have ever worked for that has no work ethics the warden is worse than the inmates. Just terrible. They do not care about their employees, they rather see their employees fail by fear of intimidation and retaliation by management. They do not care if it affects you and your entire family. They do more for the inmates than us. Worst place I have ever worked.
I enjoyed working there
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, AZAugust 12, 2017
I loved my fellow officers and the people around me
Everyone was here for eachother.
When times got hard there was no question if you had someone to talk to there was always someone.
Pros
Good work ethics
Cons
Some people didn't do their job
Clinical Program Counselor (Current Employee) –  unknownAugust 11, 2017
none and please do your own research as no information will be aided to this portion of the survey. The company is located throughout the United States
Pros
Cons
nono
Stressful place to work for.
Senior Instructor (Current Employee) –  Kingman, AZAugust 10, 2017
This is a very stressful place to work for. The management cannot make a decision, very hard to obtain any office supplies or educational books. Always have to be on edge because of the surroundings.
Fast paced environment
Custody Officer (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 9, 2017
GEO Group can be demanding. When there are not enough staff to man the shifts you get told to stay over or come in 4 hours early for staffing needs of the facility. Co-workers are very helpful.
no family values
Intern (Current Employee) –  Big Spring, TXAugust 9, 2017
no family values
no raises
no stability
They will work you until you are blue in the face and not give two craps if you children home.
Moral standards are not a thing at this company.
they are not 100 percent anything they say,
BE CAREFUL
Productive and Fun place to work
Behavioral Change Manager (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAAugust 9, 2017
The Geo group as opened last year, for the first time in Monroe, la. The GEO was a center that helped clients transition back into the community with no problems.
Corrections Officer
Correctional Officer (FDLE Certified) (Former Employee) –  South Bay, FLAugust 8, 2017
Its a great job for people who have retired. This job should be your first or last in corrections, nothing in between. By this being a private company many things are different.
Bad management
Captain (Former Employee) –  South Bay, FLAugust 7, 2017
The officers are great, but it is poorly ran. Staff are forced work overtime, but are not paid for it. They are adjusted off or paid at a later time. Stressful
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Its not worth it
Multi Task Environment
Correctional Officer/ Intake Officer (Current Employee) –  Laredo, TXAugust 5, 2017
Strict Policy enforced always. Staying assertive and alert at all times as officers you oversee detainees for their safety as well as Officers and other employees.
Pros
It is a great opportunity for future Law Enforcement
Cons
Safety is always enforced
They dont care about employees
Assistant Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, TXAugust 4, 2017
All you are to them is a beating pulse to put on a post. They will work you til you die and not care. Wardens are out of control, upper management is a joke. Worst company I have ever worked for.
Pros
all the overtime you can stand
Cons
They will murder you with overtime
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Big Spring, TXAugust 2, 2017
Good training, good benefits, good staff. Work at your own pace. Minimum supervision. Supervisors were helpful. Mandatory overtime is the only thing I didn't like.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Mandatory overtime
This job was an internship
Assistant Case worker (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 1, 2017
I don't know how it is to really work for this company because I was an intern. All I did was whatever they told me to do, which was mostly filing....
Not worth it
Youth development specialist (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COJuly 31, 2017
Once the director left everything went to down We lost tons of staff. Had to work tons of over time and were called in on days off. If you didn't was told you would get a write up.They didn't care staff was getting assaulted left and right.that we didn't have enough staff to cover the units,we had to put kids in hallways and living room at night so we can have someone watch them.come in 2 hours before your shift starts work 12 hours and than get told right before you are to have someone relive you that they are looking for coverage12 hour shift turns to a 16 hour shift with no break.Than you have to be back in 7 hours for your normal shift
Cons
No breaks and no Accountability .
Unprofessional Culture, Weak Leadership
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 28, 2017
In an environment that requires professionalism due to the nature of the clientele, one would be shocked with how this place lacks it. There is a very present lack of structure and consistency and some of the policy is literally made up as they go. Management only cares about how the facility looks on paper and not the functionality to ensure people are doing their jobs including proper searches to ensure drugs and other contraband aren't being introduced into the facility. In regard to programming, there is NONE. The social service program is non existent (although they have a staffed position for specifically this) and if a resident needs a resources it's on the case manager to do the extra work or leave the resident fending for themselves, which is why many of the residents feel like the program is a joke. The workload can be stressful as there is a lot of paperwork, but it's manageable. The culture is that of a high school where from administrators down gossip and drama run rampant. Leadership is weak and unfortunately this weakens the program which will impact your duties, and if you really care about the work of helping residents rebuild and successfully reintegrate back into society, this is the saddest part. All this and there are NO pay increases, NO vacation or PTO for one entire year, terrible benefits, and lack of opportunity for growth. They will use that company credit card to buy lunch every now and then though, so if pizza and tacos can distract you from all the problems that exist and all the drama, this is the place for you!
Pros
Resident growth and success
Cons
Negative environment, lack of structure, NO PAY Increases
Fast paced rewarding job with a competitive environment and excellent people to work with.
Chief of Security (Major) (Former Employee) –  Meridian, MSJuly 28, 2017
Well established company with well organized and structured policies and procedures governing all operations. Staff are adequately trained with ability to promote. Management is engaged and has adequate experience and training to make it a safe and productive work environment.
Pros
Total compensation
Cons
High amount of stress
Learning many new skills
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Panama City, FLJuly 28, 2017
No day was typical even though my daily duties remained same. I learned no matter what an individual has done we must be willing to forgive. Management has the ability to shape the culture. A positive minded management will result in a positive work environment and work production. The hardest part of the job was managing an extremely high case load and meeting the many deadlines. The most enjoyable part of the job was witnessing people change their lives for the better.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Cut throat environment
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Big Spring, TX 79720July 27, 2017
I have unkind words about the company and I rather not speak unkindly about them. Not sure what else to say about that but I I have to leave 150 character limit.
Decent Job Not Very Secuirty Minded
Correctionsl Officer (Former Employee) –  South Bay, FLJuly 27, 2017
This is a prison run on a budget. The main concern is not safety of the inmates, staff, or public. It is making sure we stayed under budget so the management got their bonuses. However, everything ran smoothly the majority of the time.
Safety First
Shift Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Adelanto, CAJuly 25, 2017
To provide care and safety. Working with Adult Men that have several Issues with behavior and following the rules and regulations was not an easy task but I learned that at the end of the day I wanted to provide away that they can succeed and be a productive member in the community
Pros
Respecful Career
Cons
Long Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The GEO Group, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7