The GEO Group, Inc.

The GEO Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

A decent place to work
Life/Safety Manager, Instructor (Former Employee) –  Big Spring, TXOctober 27, 2015
My daily responsibility was to supervise the safety 1500 staff and 3500 inmates at a minimum security federally contracted prison. This included medical, food, fire safety,accident investigations, security, making reports and maintain filing of reports. Management was strict as you would expect them to be. Co-workers were excellent. The hardest part was trying to cover all facilities daily. The most rewarding part of the job was knowing I served everyone to the best of my ability.
Pros
Good staff to work with.
Cons
Long hours, being on call 24-7.
Horrible horrible place to work.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Adelanto, CAOctober 26, 2015
Working as a corrections officer can be a very exciting and fast paced job. NOT FOR GEO!!!!! The management at this place is horrible. If you end up having an altercation with an inmate, which you will, the management will take the inmates word over yours every time. I lost count on the amount of times I wrote up an inmate and they just throw it out. And my wife worked there also. She was a clerk for the kitchen and maintenance staff. There were times that the supervisor for the kitchen would yell at her IN FRONT OF INMATES!!!! That is a big no no. And when we decided we were sick of the place and wanted to "fight back", we started writing memos of what certain supervisors or employees were doing and that when management gunned for us. I received countless write ups and so did my wife. DO NOT APPLY HERE! If you are looking for a career in law enforcement then stay away from this place, they will ruin your reputation. They even were the ones to blame for me not making it into CDCR. I was given a write up and fought it and won, so the warden himself told me he would take it out of my file. 6 months later when my background investigator went to look at my file IT WAS STILL THERE!!!! And I got disqualified for not disclosing the write up that WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO EXIST IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!! And not to mention you dont get paid as much as a C/O should get paid. Pay was absolutely horrible.
Pros
NONE
Cons
EVERYTHING
Good and need improvement
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INOctober 26, 2015
I enjoyed working with my inmates, however, structurally, due to turnover and sometimes lack of "team" environment among staff, low moral, long hours (to be expected in a correctional environment, there is room for improvement. I appreciated having the ability to help those who were willing to listen. However, knowing what I know now, in order to improve my job performance now that I've had time off, I feel I'd be a more effective officer in the future.
Pros
Plenty of hours, opportunity to make money, Structurally, I see the potential for positive things at that facility, Just takes placing the idea in the right hands.
Cons
Sometimes we didn't get lunch breaks, mandated on shifts (not a job for a family dependent on a family member), no real team morale between officers.
Something new everyday
detention officer (Former Employee) –  adelanto detention facilityOctober 22, 2015
This is a good place to gain experience in the field of corrections and detention in preparation for bigger and better things.
the best job i have had yet
Cook Supevisor (Former Employee) –  Jena, LAOctober 21, 2015
i loved this job if they had not ran credit checks after the 3.5 years i eas there...i would still be there...the best job i have ever had
Pros
money
Great introductory job
Quality Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Folkston, GAOctober 12, 2015
It is a good place to start working for a young person just fresh out of school because no matter what position you get into, you are delegated to lead and be accountable for decision to take.
Pros
Character formation and leadership development
Cons
Quite risky, it is working in a prison facility.
working as a correctional officer
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  New Castle INOctober 12, 2015
It was ok. to many hours not enough staff. always was needing overtime which came to a sixteen hour day. and then wanted to have you come in on your days off. breaks were few and far between. very understaffed and supervision staff was very unconcerned about employee complaints.
Productive and Fun Work Place
Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Valentines, VAOctober 8, 2015
One day at work we had a fight in another unit. I learned to always be prepared for the worse in a prison system. My co-workers and I responded to the situation. The hardest of the job is trying to control inmates after a big fight have broken out. The most enjoyable part of the job is working together and training my workers.
This is a correctional officer job.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Meridian, MSOctober 6, 2015
This job requires long hours and sometimes you don't get off at the normal time you get off, but you do get all the overtime you want. It also has a lot of days that offers holiday pay and you get paid when you have to train which is always a plus. The only real down fall is working at a prison and you never know what to expect from the previous shift nor if you can fully rely on the people you work with.
Really Great Company, Great Job
Library Aide (Former Employee) –  Folkston, GAOctober 5, 2015
Worked as the Assistant Librarian running three libraries, mainly the Legal Library. We were located at a correctional facility in Folkston Ga. I brought News paper request, book request and outside book request to the Special Housing Unit twice a week. Helped teach a book club once a week. Secured legal cds and documents per federal regulations. It was a very fulfilling position.
Pros
Very busy and verified duties.
Cons
The inmates have more rights than you. It is hard to protect yourself from being stalked.
Good starting point
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Milton, FLOctober 5, 2015
Not a bad place to start your career in the Correctional Field. Would recommend gaining your job experience here for a better job.
Pros
Not a bad starting point.
Cons
Inability to maintain staffing and lack of competitive pay are the two biggest down falls
Team work
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Pearsall, TXSeptember 21, 2015
I loved working here the only problem was the distance if not for that I would still be there today. Great family team work vibe.
Stressful environment
Food Service Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Lockhart, TXSeptember 18, 2015
The work was not hard it was the environment that was difficult to work in. Co-workers never stayed on task and it made your days hard to get your work done if you were busy covering for someone else.
I did meet some great people and life long friends.
Pros
Benefits were good
Cons
Too many audits, no direction at times
the moste enjoyable part of the job
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXSeptember 17, 2015
Great co workers, always worked as a team, pay was ok, benefits were good. Always had a supportive cast. People and clients were always friendly.
Learing new software, helping people solve problems
HR Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Castle, INSeptember 8, 2015
It is all good. Many people, many different fields in a correctional facility. Very organized and pro employee. So much going on all the time. It deals a lot with handicap offenders and substance abuse offenders. Therefore staff have to know how to deal with issues and concerns that may come up after hours.
Cons
Can't clock in early
not a very good place to work
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee) –  Karnes City, TXSeptember 4, 2015
job okay but you better make sure you tell everybody that you are only there to work and nothing else. be very strong and don't let inmates try to get over on you
Productive workplace with numerous projects always in progress.
LEAD VOCATIONAL TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  McFarland, CAAugust 31, 2015
Very flexible work schedule and hours with highly supportive supervisory staff. Many opportunities to gain experience and develop proficiency. However, this work environment was not by design; it was crafted into being by the workers. A typical day at work, depending on the day of the week, entailed: initial inventory of tools; tool check-out; watering of lawns, plants and gardens; attending to any maintenance issues; securing supplies from warehouse; performing clerical duties on office computer; delegating housekeeping tasks. I learned: how to garden, how to landscape, how to pour concrete, how to apply epoxy-shield to concrete, how to build wooden walk-ways, how to maintain a tool inventory, a working theory behind the EPA 608 refrigeration guidelines. Supervisory staff was very supportive; management was not. My co-workers were a tremendous asset to the daily completion of tasks and benchmarks for on-going projects. The hardest part of the job was the low pay. the most enjoyable part of the job was the gardening aspect.
Pros
Fruit and vegetable garden, numerous hands-on projects, supervisory staff.
Cons
Lack of budgeting by administration; strict limits on essential supplies; too much red tape.
Productive workplace
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSAugust 28, 2015
This is great place to work. I have been working for this corporation for 3 years and they have treated me well. The management at our organization is great and the staff welcome and treat everyone with respect. This is a great place to start employment if you are seeking a career in corrections.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Rotating schedule
Great employment.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKAugust 25, 2015
I enjoyed working with the company. I started out as a Resident Monitor and with in six months I was promoted 3 times. I enjoyed my co- workers and the residents. I miss working for this company. If I did not have to move to Texas I would still be there.
Pros
Promotions, hours, staff
Cons
Stressful
Very stressful work environment
Food Service Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Lockhart, TXAugust 14, 2015
This a private prison facility and the whole work environment was stressful. Some employees hard to get a long with and others were extremely hard working and followed policies and procedures. There were too many chiefs and not enough Indians so it made for a stressful work environment.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
closing