The GEO Group, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

work place
Correction Officer (Current Employee) –  Milledgeville, GAApril 24, 2016
the job it self is not hard at all, your co worker are real cool and out going type of people who has your back.. the upper head of management is a lil slack.
Pros
over time
Cons
might have to work 16 hours
Simple Work Place
Monitor 1 (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXApril 20, 2016
The GEO group is a reenty facility for people who have parolled out of prison. The facility i work at about 80% of the residents are sexoffenders. The work is easy all i do is walk the facility and over see the residents. Giving them there medications at the proper time, making sure their dorms are clean, and transporting them to dps and parole office are a few this we do.
Cons
Too much seperation between staff and administration.
Face paced with a lot of responsibility.
Filing Clerk (Current Employee) –  New Castle IndianaApril 19, 2016
I started out in the mail room to get my foot in the door. I worked there for a year and a half and then transferred to the Packet Room. I am looking to us my skills I have acquired to move up in my career. Whether it be with GEO or another company
Pros
Fun atmosphere and great co-workers
Cons
Benefits aren't that great
It was a challenge everyday
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 18, 2016
I enjoyed working with my coworkers, the hardest part about this job was dealing with disrespectful childish inmates I really learned how to control my attitude, management wasn't that great.
Pros
lots of overtime when needed
Cons
bad management
Great company
Security Monitor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 17, 2016
Great company to work for! I recommend working for GEO Care Group. I have enjoyed my time and have gained a lot of experience!
A company with growth opportunities
Training Administrator (Former Employee) –  Holly Springs, MSApril 13, 2016
Ensured that all staff was trained before undertaking their assignments. Ensure that staff receives 40 hours in-service training and that all Specialized Certifications are maintained. Setup all conferences and workshop.
Good place to work for steady work,
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Big Spring, TXApril 8, 2016
Day is always very busy. No body seems to be on the same page. I have learned that I can be criticized for almost anything even if you have nothing to do with the outcome. Manager for my area is great the other management has a lower look on staff in kitchen. Co-workers are super they all work hard to get the job done. Dealing with inmates who don't get their way, and staff not being on the same page about situations in a everyday work week.
Pros
secure job
Cons
beneifits are not reasonable for empoyees
Case Manager Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 6, 2016
GREAT PLACE TO WORK AND GROW IN THE COMPANY.You can have a very flexible schedule and the management works with your schedule. The company is Global and your able to transfer any where in the world where there's a Geo.Group
Pros
Flexiblity
Cons
healthcare
Cook Supervisor
COOK SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 1, 2016
A typical day would consist of watching over inmates, filling out and filing paperwork properly.
No matter how hard I worked, management was never satisfied. They don't exactly give warnings, straight to termination. Because they can just train someone new.
Challenging
Cook Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 1, 2016
Watch inmates, fill and file paperwork properly, make sure facility was feed on time.
No matter how hard I worked management never seemed to be satisfied. They do not exactly give warnings, straight to termination. Because they can just train someone new.
I was injured on the job
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Milton, FLMarch 31, 2016
I had completed three of the three months and three weeks at the Law Enforcement Academy and my knee was injured in defensive tactics. The Academy was intense and I was making it through. When I was released from the doctor the academy expected me to go through all of Physical Training, Defensive Tactics and Firing Range from beginning to end all over again, instead of completing the last three weeks. The prison did not contact the academy to discuss a better solution and kept me on 4pm to Midnight shift which left my daughter home alone except for when she left for school. I decided to move back to Iowa and change career paths.
a very seriose job lovved officer week.
cook supervisor (Former Employee) –  Big Spring, TXMarch 28, 2016
little stressful,supervise,paper work,like co-workers,n/a,like my job very much.all co-woker worked as one team .breaks were not always a priority.
Pros
n/a
Cons
short breaks.
Working in Corrections isn't for everyone one
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  New Castle, INMarch 28, 2016
Working in Corrections isn't for everyone one. the Stress can build up but when you have a great team like The Geo Group at NCCF provided
This is a horrible facility!!!
CO (Former Employee) –  All Texas FacilitiesMarch 15, 2016
All I can say is......Dont waste your time or effort applying!!! This facility is so unorganized and horribly ran it's sad!!! Your better of working absolutely anywhere else seriously...I'm sure walmart even supplies it's workers with more training and this is a facility with inmates?? You can't tell cause they seem to run the staff anyway...There is never any help and all the staff is against one another, and these are ppl who are supposed to have your back??? Helllll ! Don't say nobody warned you if you get hired and experience the same cause we did!!! Runnnn!
Pros
NONE
Cons
ALL
Run, dont walk away from this company!!!
Call Center Rep (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 10, 2016
I have been working for over 40 years and by far this is the WORST job I have ever had. First of all the agency that I got the job through TOTALLY lied about EVERYTHING, but that's a different review. RUN as far away and as fast as you can. First of all the building that I was working at in Illinois is a sick building. EVERYONE is ill spreading their germs everywhere. The job is extremely stressful, the training is extremely stressful. You are taking over 100 calls back to back. You are penalized for the most insignificant things, for example if you repeat a zip code as six, the letter o, five, the letter o, two instead of saying the numerical six, zero, five, zero, two. You get points off, If a caller asks How are you? Reflex would be to say, Good or Fine, How are you? Wrong answer. Points taken off. Everyone is miserable and complaining.

I gave them a one star rating because there wasn't anything less. Their turnover rate is ridiculous and no one cares.
Pros
The only pro I can say is I was 5 minutes from my home.
Cons
Too many to list here.
Its a prison! They tend to forget you have a outside life!!!
Correctional officer (Former Employee) –  South Bay, FLMarch 6, 2016
I was employed with the GEO group in South Bay, Florida for 10 years. I liked it the first year, until I started seeing that its not about work ethics. Its all about "favorites"! The security supervisors from the OICs to the AW of security were all guilty of harassment!!! If you not sleeping with them you're not moving up, getting good days off or getting any recognition! The turn over rate is horrible, but for some odd reason they couldn't figure out that its because the pay is terrible, lack of professionalism and lack of good treatment!!! The HR supervisor doesn't know her own job, so there is no assistance there! The department heads are completely useless! And complaining to the corporate office is a joke! The worst part of South Bay is the FAVORISM! If you aren't favored you never get your requested vacation days, you never get your requested days off, you never receive the opportunities to be promoted or appointed other positions, you are always on the overtime list, you are never recognized for your duties! If that's OK, I recommend this place of employment for you. If not, Is suggest you run and fast!!!
Pros
Because of your position, you get to help inmates
Cons
Because of lack of opportunities there is little chance to learn new things, Major Favorism problem, unprofessional, inconsistent, etc.
It was a dangerous envierment
Corrections Officer II (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 5, 2016
I worked for Cornell Companies in Albuquerque NM before the conpany was bought by Geo Group inc. Cornell was great.I loved it. Geogroup on the other hand dint care that management had its favorites. Officers would get promoted to officer of the year if they kissed butt or if it happened to be an attractive female working graveyard shift and willing to do what the warden wanted, she would get an administration job from one day to the next. It was a very stress full job and dangerous. Captains would ignore inmates that were in possesion of drugs just to keep their shift quiet. The safety of staff was not a priority. To sum it up. The moral was very low.
Oh Gosh ... 5 years wasted
Medical (Current Employee) –  Lovejoy, GAMarch 1, 2016
I worked for two different Geo facilities over the course of 5 years and they are no different . I spent most my days in the Lovejoy Ga facility , where it possibly has the potential to be a good place to work if it shuts down and reopen with all new people . The Medical department Managers are horrible! Harrassment on a large scale is very alive and lurking everyday you clock in, little support from HR or anyone you may deem as authority. People quit almost on a weekly basis , so you're short staffed . Even officers quit on a daily basis . The place is screaming with politics, however, it could be wonderful if you're favored . Favoritism, nepotism and a whole lot of other -isms exist within the confines of the facility. medical has favorites, security has favorites, and HR has favorites. If you are great at shutting your mouth and not speaking up for yourself this is the place for you . The insurance is ridiculously expensive at almost $450 a month for a family of 3, while the Lt. and Sgts and other Admin pay about $80 a month . Medical Management has been investigated about 4 times and still stays in place to harass more people even the officers . There are no raises . They give you what they call health and wellness but it's for insurance and in the event they raise that a couple of cents , they too raise the price if the insurance . There is no retirement so you are working towards nothing . There has been about 6 Different Medical Managements in such a small time . The Medical Department even went without any management for about six months . The nurses managed themselves.  more... I stayed as long as I did because I got attached to people, something I never do. The place started compromising my safety along with my integrity and by then , I had had enough. Don't waste your time ....Gosh What a nightmare.  less
Pros
Location to my home
Cons
Management across the board .
not good
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Adelanto, CAMarch 1, 2016
Not a good place to work. Medical unit does not get raises and you dont get paid what you should for what you deal with. Only thing I liked is having a partner that I got along with.
Pros
federal holidays
Cons
short lunches, no sick days
Great company
Correctional Officer Sergeant (Former Employee) –  South Bay, FLMarch 1, 2016
I loved working for this company. Benefits are fantastic. Great pay. I had to take a break from full time in order to pursue my BAS. I would defiantly work for this company again.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Lots of over time for correctional officers

2.8