The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company Employee Reviews

Ok
Store Manager/Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Pompton Lakes, NJMarch 11, 2016
Customers are always first. Treat your employees with respect. Always work together as a team. Seasonal merchandising is my joy.
There are some things I have no control over and I have to accept that. I talk to my department managers to make sure they are in stock and the department is in good condition. I check e-mails and pass on any information. Then I start my responsibilities such as grocery orders, verifying vendor displays, plan-o-grams, etc.
Pros
401K, Benefits, Various work hours, Team enviorment
Cons
n/a
Bankrupt
Proofreader & Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) –  Montvale, NJFebruary 16, 2016
My co-workers were friendly and conscientious; however, Senior Leadership led the Company to Chapter 11 then closure.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Bankrupt
Enjoyable work enviroment
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Montvale, NJOctober 23, 2015
It was a good company to work for years ago until they filed for bankruptcy years ago and have not given raises since. People hung in there hoping it would get better but the company has filed for bankruptcy for the final time and is liquidating the company.
Pros
Wonderful boss and co workers
Cons
Corporate Greed
I enjoy my postion at A & P
Human Resources and Benefit Administrator (Current Employee) –  Montvale, NJOctober 6, 2015
I am a hard worker. I earn quickly. I enjoy inacting with my coworkers and enjoy the associates in the store I services.
I have great people skills.
Great company to work for
Co-Manager/Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  701 Royal St., New Orleans, LASeptember 4, 2015
Location at 701 Royal St, New Orleans was the best profit store in the southern region. French Quarter added to the historic 1930 store.
Pros
always busy
Cons
Short breaks
My Time at The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company
desktop support analyst (Current Employee) –  montvale new jerseyAugust 28, 2015
The company itself as a whole was a phenomenal place to work. It really was a big corporate family. The loyalty the place inspired was like no other. The filing of the bankruptcy, and the announcement of the doors closing wasn't easy. I spent a great deal of time with the associates. we've been through weather disasters, the ups and downs of financial whoas and decisions. I would follow my team, management included wherever they would lead. which is why the closing is so hard. The souls of this company, are family
Pros
Family culture
Cons
the financial hardship of bankruptcy
Great Work/Life balance and programs to support associates growth
District LP Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 26, 2015
Great LP Team and culture. Great Work/Life balance and programs to support associates growth. Its unfortunate that they are in some financial trouble currently.
Great work environment.
Claims Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montvale, NJJuly 28, 2015
Great co-workers. Great commute to work. Just unfortunate that we are in the middle of a bankruptcy. Our future is unstable right now.
Great Place to Work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thornwood, NYFebruary 18, 2015
I am very pleased that this was my first job I ever had because it was definitely a great experience. Everybody I worked with was so friendly and helpful, and I ended up making great friends in the year that I worked there. The environment of the store was welcoming and friendly, and I liked it. Overall, it was a great experience and definitely helped me grow as a person.
If you want to be successful in retail do the opposite of this company and you will
Manager/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 27, 2014
Cut throat environment extreme hours repeat upper management demoralization with no appreciation
Starting the day off by greeting everone
Merchandise & Quality Analyst / Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJJune 23, 2014
Start the day off by greeting everone the best part of the job is reciving my sales report
Hi
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Millwood, NYJune 9, 2014
I worked at AP in Millwood as cashier and bakery.
I like to help with a customer if they need help.
I love counting the money.
Great place to work at
Sr. Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Montvale, NJJune 3, 2014
Great place to work, and the people are like family. Excellent place to work
Fun, friendly atmosphere.
Delicatessen Clerk (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CTMarch 10, 2014
I arrive and punch in at the time clock. When I arrive at the Deli I begin my shift by cleaning the slicers to make sure my shift and work stations are sanitary. I make sure all the meats and cheeses are open and if not open them. I write down on a log the date and meat/cheese that I open during my shift. I help customers fulfill their deli orders from meats, cheeses, sandwiches, various salads, and prepared foods. I either make salads or pizzas depending on the day. I also wash dishes throughout my shift as well. When I am working a closing shift I have to de-breast rotisserie chickens for the the next day's chicken salad. I have to clean and cover the olive bar. Thoroughly clean the last two slicers but taking them apart and washing all of the components. I sweep and mop the floors, take out the trash and sanitize the counters. After all of this is complete I punch out.

I learned a lot of customer service skills and even marketing techniques. I learned that working in a safe and clean environment allows for me to provide top of the line service.

The management team is very stern. They instilled in me an even stronger work ethic than I already had.

My coworkers and I have a tight-knit relationship. We have developed a strong bond even among various departments of the entire store. We work well as a team and are always willing to help each other out.

I believe the hardest part of the job is balancing the cleaning and helping customers towards the end of my shift. Especially on nights when I am closing because I am alone.

The most enjoyable part of the job are
  more... my coworkers. We have tried hard to make the working environment a warm one. I also enjoy deli work in general and of course helping the customers.  less
Triceps Inventory Control Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  New Yorl, NYJanuary 16, 2014
- Fast pace

- Management is very flexible

- Very diverse workforce

- Unionized organization
Low moral environment,company stability uncertain
Mgr. of Mainframe Systems and MQ Series Admin (Former Employee) –  Montvale, NJAugust 9, 2013
Monitor and report connectivity issues from the retail stores to host mainframe system. Insured all mainframe hardware and software components were maintained and functioning properly to support the CICS payment card system. I was fortunate to learn how some banks process debit and credit transactions. All of my fellow IT workers were all top notch well educated technicians in their field. Working with them and learning from them was most enjoyable.
Management always has to make tough calls based on the company's goals and direction. The management team I worked with falls into the same classification as my self; Fair, understanding, decisive, and effective.
Pros
10% discount on non sale items in the grocery stores
Fun place to work
Haba Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ortley Beach, NJJuly 1, 2013
Hectic days trying to get product to floor in timely fashion. Learned to cashier and scanning department skills. Management team is like no other. Co-workers are amiable. Hardest part of job was lifting 75 lb. totes off of 8 foot high pallets. Most enjoyable part of job was seeing the smiling faces of repeat customers.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
low pay
good job
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Belvidere, NJMay 24, 2013
a typical day here required me to stock and clean the department as well as help any customers. I learned how to trim and crisp lettuce for sale. I also learned how to prepare and rap corn for sale. these are only two examples of many things I learned.
Pros
freedom
Cons
lack of communication
Stepping Stone
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fanwood, NJMay 10, 2013
Its a great first job to have. Possible growth within the company and a great learning place to gain experience in various areas. The most enjoyable part of the day is helping others and forming new friendships with employees and customers.
No work/life balance
Manager (Former Employee) –  New JerseyFebruary 10, 2013
Company was once a great place to work. Last 10 years not so. Management is out of touch with associates and their customers.
Pros
compensation and benefits were great.
Cons
no work/life balance. no job security. the culture needs work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6