The Greenbrier Employee Reviews

Too much gossip
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  West VirginiaOctober 30, 2017
Management likes to listen to people who lie instead of investigating and they will let you go without warning. Best advice I ever got there was "join the union." It'll save you from losing your job at the drop of a hat. The benefits are nice but union has to work a year to receive anything where non-union gets it pretty much right off the bat. When you're new keep to yourself, anything can set someone off and they don't like new people if their friends don't.
Pros
Free lunch, good discounts
Cons
Management will can you without investigating, the definitely play favorites
Great place to work..its like a big family!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  White Sulphur Springs, WVSeptember 27, 2017
I love the Greenbrier! It holds a special place in my heart..i have been going to the hotel since I was old enough to remember and now I work there! Definitely family oriented!
Great learning experiences
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  White Sulphur Springs, WVSeptember 23, 2017
Many people and guests to work with, always something new. Something there for everyone. All sorts of jobs and hours available
Many people make a career at the Greenbrier. .
Tough place to work but many rewards
NIGHT AUDITOR/FRONT DESK (Former Employee) –  White Sulphur Spring, WVAugust 30, 2017
You sacrifice your personal life in many ways in order to work at The Greenbrier. You will work every weekend; you will work every holiday; you will work late almost daily. The company and guest needs always come first or you simply will not be successful. The reward is excellent pay and benefits.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
Consumes you and leaves you feeling empty. Hard on your home life.
Excelente
pastry chef (Former Employee) –  White Sulphur Springs WVJuly 31, 2017
Excelente lugar de trabajo, para aprender y hacer una carrera.
Productive and fun job environment.
Reservations/Hostess (Former Employee) –  West Virginia, USAJuly 7, 2017
The Greenbrier is a great place to work at because of its rich history and how long it has been in the hospitality industry. I learned a lot about the hospitality industry and it has helped me to be enthusiastic, dedicated, and committed in my job.
Pros
Free food anytime at the cafeteria
Cons
Management is not that good.
Fun events
Banquet Manager (Former Employee) –  White Sulphur Spring, WVJune 14, 2017
Days were very busy. They were understaffed for the amount of events they did each day. They tried to give you the events you were best at running (business meetings, weddings, corporate dinners, etc).
The shared office was annoying due to a couple being allowed to work together (bickering, tension, etc).
The events were a lot of fun. You make some very useful contacts.
The resort is HUGE, so be prepared to walk A LOT! The grounds are beautiful; they provided a great backdrop for events and were a great conversation starter.
Good people to work with and fun
Retail Operations (Former Employee) –  White Sulphur Springs, WVMay 24, 2017
I worked in the toy store so it was really fun 99% of the time and I had really nice people I worked with, and the job really helped me financially. It was overall a pretty good job to have.
Has potential to be a great place to work..
Spa Attendant (Former Employee) –  White Sulphur Springs WVMay 16, 2017
They have lots of different job opportunities, even jobs for no previous experience. However, vacations are never guaranteed. Time off is hard to come by. Always work weekends and holidays.
Fun Resort
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  White Sulphur Spring, WVApril 10, 2017
The Greenbrier was such a beautiful place to work for so many years. The people and the atmosphere was amazing to be around. I enjoyed working here for so many years meeting so many wonderful people.
Productive and
Line Cook (Internship 2) (Former Employee) –  USAMarch 15, 2017
I will start my duty by cleaning my station and check all my products if it's still good. Then, I will start preparing all the salads that I need during the service at night. I learned how to be fast and efficient with so little time especially during busy night. I worked with a different culture, I was working with different nationalities, specifically Americans, Indonesians, and Indians. But I didn't have any hard time working with them, we worked as a team in the kitchen. The hardest part for me is that when we work long hours, at first I was having a hard time, but I was able to adjust it after a few nights of longer working hours. The most enjoyable part is that I experience a lot of this during prep, service and after service. I had fun serving our guests and I had fun working with my team mates in the kitchen.
Pros
Free Lunch and Drinks
Cons
Bring your own kitchen knifes
Productive and customer oriented workplace.
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  White Sulphur Springs, WVMarch 2, 2017
The management is fair but strict. Hard work is expected and important, but is rewarded. Depending on the department tips can be a large part of one take home pay.
Pros
Free lunches and holiday pay
Cons
Summer is busy but winter has many cutbacks on jobs.
Amazing
Line cook (Former Employee) –  West virginiaJanuary 10, 2017
One of the historical hotel in the US. Amazing oppurutnity to work in this hotel. You will learn a lot and gain experience to the fullest it will develop your skills and talent
Unstable
Front Office Supervisor/Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  White Sulphur Springs, WVDecember 7, 2016
The Greenbrier is a wonderful place to be when it functions well. For the past ten years + it has been in tumult resulting from gaining new ownership and an increased turnover rate in management. The end is result is cyclical instability.

The Greenbrier has wonderful people who have been there for years that are a joy to work with. Everyday I went to work, regardless of what I might have been facing, it was always the people I worked with that made it enjoyable.
Pros
staff, the property's history
Cons
high turnover rate, location
Fun place to work and managment was organized
Food Runner, Server and Busser (Former Employee) –  White Sulphur Springs, WVDecember 1, 2016
This company was the first one who taught everything hands-on in the food and beverage service. I was able to learn the front and back of the house because when I was a food runner I worked with the chefs and cooks too. The most enjoyable part was the Americans were so friendly and they hangout with us too outside work.
Pros
Free food
One of the Best employers in the Area
Houseman (Former Employee) –  White Sulphur Springs, WVJune 30, 2016
The Greenbrier can be a really mixed bag, but the money is indisputable. Most positions are union jobs. Management is non-union. To advance you must no longer be a part of the union.

Very gossipy work place, but with 1,800 in season employees, it is hard to escape.

Hard work, but not much better money for uneducated individuals in the area. Management seems lacking in common sense, but isn't that everywhere?
Pros
pay, locally minded
Cons
half hour lunch, management, gossip
Productive and fun environment
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  White Sulphur Springs, WVJune 10, 2016
At The Greenbrier I learned how to communicate with people better. The management was good. The work environment was productive and fun.
Every Day is a new adventure
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  White Sulphur Springs, WVFebruary 29, 2016
Fun, exciting and faced paced. Friendly enviornment at a beautiful historic hotel. The jewel of West Virginia drfinately.
Pros
Free Lunch and Perks as an employee
Cons
The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with my guest.
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  White Sulphur Springs, WVNovember 9, 2015
The most rewarding part of my job was getting to interact with the guest. I finding it exciting to hear about their families and their lives.I enjoy working with my co-worker, as they are like family.
Benefits
Cons
Short staffed.
Exciting
Banquet Supervisor (Current Employee) –  White Sulphur Springs, WVJune 23, 2015
As with any jobs, working here presents its own share of issues, but at the end of the day it is a place I am happy to belong to. Everyday is a deadline day which keeps it interesting and it helps maintain motivation.