The Guidance Center Employee Reviews

It is a nice place to work. The staff is friendly.
LPC (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARApril 8, 2017
This is a good place to work with friendly staff and a homey environment. The pay is good and incentive pay is great. They have excellent continuing education opportunities.
Pros
Friendly staff, good pay, excellent education experiences
Cons
Lack of communication
Very Stressful difficult people to work with
Mental Health Drop-In Center Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bradford, PAMarch 21, 2017
This job was at times very stressful with a variety of people that made this job even more difficult. Very rigid management with difficulty accepting others peoples input that may assist in increased membership and attendance at the center.
Cons
low pay rate
Official response from The Guidance Center
March 27, 2017

I do not believe this review is for our agency, as we do not have any agency locations in PA. We are only located in MI.

N/a
Case Manager/ Supports Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Southgate, MIMarch 14, 2017
Current position as a social worker working with children and adults in the community and in the office setting. Hardest part of the job managing time.
Productive and positive work place. Staff are suported.
Intake Therapist (Current Employee) –  Southgate, MIMarch 3, 2017
The Guidance Center is a friendly place to work and it is a good place for people with mental illness. There are many services and activities available for the clients to engage in . The Guidance Center provides training for its staff that is current and easily accessible. The Guidance Center now has a fully functional medical center and can provide full services to their clients . There are peer supports, groups, and case management services.
The hardest part of the job is not being able to give more to the clients.
The most enjoyable aspect of the job is that we really are helping people.
Pros
lots of felxability
Cons
cant think of any
Part time office assistant
Business Operation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chalmette, LAFebruary 9, 2017
My job was to perform various office work tasks that changed daily. This usually entailed drafting excel sheets and organizing the office.
Great benefits great staff
Adult Behavioral Health Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Southgate, MIFebruary 2, 2017
Excellent health benefits and time off package, flexible work schedules, room for advancement, great team and dedicated staff. Pay is low and it can be a high stress environment.
Pros
health benefits and time off
Cons
low pay high stress
Do not recommend
Out-Patient Therapist (Current Employee) –  Southgate, MIFebruary 2, 2017
Therapists are treated poorly and punitive. Union is of little help. Management is better at covering themselves than actively assisting and supporting staff. Charting system is labor intensive and is placed on the therapist.
Extreme micromanagement and belittling of staff. This organization DOES NOT follow a procedure manual at all. Great therapist, who are underutilized and now have little insight to their true worth. Multiple changes to documentation with little notice. High turnover and upper management does not seem to take notice.
Pros
Salaried position
Cons
Poor management all the way to CEO
Crisis specialist
Crisis Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNJanuary 2, 2017
On call crisis team unit.

A typical day involved answering phone lines for suicidal clients, and also going on site, to ER hospitals, homes, and or mental health facilities to access client for 6404, or here in florida they call this baker acting.

I absolutely loved this job. Working in crisis, is definitely a passion of mine.
Pros
flexible work hours, great coworkers and supervisors
Cons
Not a good job if your not good at crisis work
Very unfair biased place to work
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARDecember 23, 2016
Typical day at work: Doing my job to the fullest and complete while others "played".
I learned: To cover my butt, watch my back and standup for my rights and not let anyone run over me.
Management: Very poorly rated in my case. Once again, very biased. Some supervisors yelling and screaming at employees that could be heard throughout the entire office because of personal issues...not work-related mind you.
Hardest part of the job: Being ridiculed for not letting anyone run over me just because they are called "supervisor".
Most Enjoyable part of job: Lunch hour.
Pros
Pot lucks, holiday celebrations
Cons
Being monitored when going to the bathroom
Very stressful work environment Management treated staff disrespectful
Supports Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Southgate, MIDecember 5, 2016
The Management here in this position was really bad. The managers would just treat the staff disrespectful and expect the staff not to contact union. The union was no help or support. This was a place for work place bullying to take place by managers. Managers and Supervisors create a hostile work environment. This was allowed by the union even when staff went to the union they would not do anything. The union just takes the workers money and does not provide any support or help.
Pros
Always got paid on time
Cons
No one to support the staff - work place bullying by managers
Helping Children
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZNovember 8, 2016
I was a Youth Advocate and I appreciated the opportunity to help students lives. The working environment was supportive and I enjoyed my time working there.
Poor company culture
IDD Supports Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Southgate, MIAugust 31, 2016
Work very long hours nothing is never good enough. Poor training for new employees. Will call you in the office and fire you at will with no reasonable explanation. Micromanage every step you take. Co-workers are very nice and pleasant to work with. Learned a lot in terms of working with the IDD community. The thing I enjoyed the most is working with the families and helping them with their services.
Pros
Unfornately nothing
Cons
no lunch area and had to share bathroom with public
I enjoyed my work place location
Site Sub/Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southgate, MIMay 9, 2016
I am grateful for the years spent working for this company. I enjoyed the children and their families we serviced. I learned a lot of things in and out of the classrooms.
Poor Morale
case manager (Current Employee) –  Southgate, MIJanuary 2, 2016
The IDD department is poorly managed with lack of supervision and poor training. Team meetings are not very productive, you are belittled by displaying the number of consumers you have seen for the month and harassed to see a number of consumers for so many dollars. It is depressing to come to work when you have no support from your supervisor and told to just complete a new criteria with no instructions on how to do it. You are always directed to someone else to assist that's either as fairly new as you or directed to someone from another department who may not know the answer. The supervisor never gets the answers needed on how to do a task. You are just pushed to your limit with the heavy caseloads. The resources needed to assist the consumers are poor with absolutely no assistance!! Management leaves you in limbo with no answers to resolve difficult situations. Billing has now become a part of case management and consumes your entire day!! It's not enough time in a day to complete all of the chaotic paperwork that's required to do. Some staff are very nice while others will just walk pass when you speak and say nothing like a deer with headlights. It's not a surprise to know another hidden agenda will pop up for you to do without clarity. The work that's required for the pay that you get at TGC is not worth it!!
Pros
Diverse staff with knowledge in different backgrounds.
Cons
Overload of cases, poor management
Bad management
social worker (Current Employee) –  Southgate, MIOctober 27, 2015
Management is terrible. If they don't like you, they will do everything in their means to get you to quit or fire you, this includes making up things about you. Everything is hush hush. Management does not share with staff any information until it's too late. Management talks about staff negatively. Often, there will be a manager that does not even know what the job is of the staff they supervise. They will take that staff's work and use it as their own. Management does not stand up for staff or have their backs in any situation.
Most co-workers are great.
The program I work in is great and has great potential, but again, management brings it down.
Working with the clients and other community members is the best part of the job.
Pros
paid trainings and travel
Cons
pay, management
Management is unpredictable
Supports Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Southgate MIOctober 5, 2015
Good salary, management is unpredictable and the overrall culture of the company is good. Case loads are not reasonable. The hardest pat of the job is the loads of paperwork that is required.
A great place to work. Employees work hard to see that the need is met.
Supervisor Angela Snedecar (Former Employee) –  Intake specialistSeptember 21, 2015
I was at the Guidance Center just over 5 years. I started as reception in the children's department. Later moved to a position with intake as a specialist. The Guidance Center employees are dedicated to making mental health treatment available to all those in need. It was really nice to work for a facility that strives to care for those who often could not care for them selves.
see resume
Accounting Receivable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Southgate, MIJuly 27, 2015
• Works directly with CFO and Accounts Receivable Manager for monthly billings and submission to BHPI or SEMCA and monthly reports.
• Supervisor to billing staff for monthly submission for claims, aging reports, rejections and insurance issues.
• Supervisor to Accounts Payable staff for daily checklists of revenue, posting of cash, general ledger, adjustments, monthly close outs, year end, auditing, budgets for the different government fund programs.
• Runs weekly meeting with clinicians regarding billing issues, posting issues and insurance issues.
• Works with BHPI regarding submission issue and adjustment issues.
• Supervisor to insurance verifications specialist for daily verification issues, monthly verifications for Medicaid, Medicare and other commercial insurance company’s.
• Supervisor for monthly submission for Direct Care Wage.
• Monthly submissions for varies County and Federal reports.
• Supervisor to staff of six regarding daily deadlines and monthly and quarterly deadlines.
• Train and supervisor summer interns.
Culture of Bullying/Fear/Unethical Behavior
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Southgate, MIFebruary 21, 2015
Upper management treats direct supervisors very badly, and many direct supervisors in turn treat their clinicians very badly. The clients are not taken into consideration when upper management makes decisions. Upper management does not include clinicians in the decision-making process, and as a result creates policies and processes that are extremely problematic for the clients and the clinicians.

Productivity is unattainable. Even when 0 employees are meeting the productivity standard, management continues to treat clinicians like they are lazy and incompetent for not meeting the productivity standard.

Caseloads are very high. 200+ in some departments, and clients are often placed on waiting lists for basic services like case management and therapy. TGC has very high turnover and is always under-staffed. Clinicians on staff are often told "we're working on hiring people" and "we know your caseloads are too high" but management will not allow clinicians to refer clients out: instead, clinicians are expected to carry the overload of cases. In the meantime, intakes remain open and new clients are constantly streaming in to the agency.

Write-ups and disciplinary action against employees is common. It is common for an employee to be fired and then for The Guidance Center to go to the licensing board and attempt to have the employee's license taken away. This is a very dangerous environment because of that, and all clinicians are working in a state of fear. Fear of disciplinary action, fear of supervisors who are a pack of bullies. Management likes to bully people into
  more... quitting, and then celebrate when they are successful.

All competent supervisors and clinicians quit and find employment elsewhere.

The Guidance Center used to have a very good reputation and offer high quality services. I'm not sure what happened to put it into a decline, but it is very embarrassing to work there. I felt like I was constantly having to apologize to my clients for things upper management had done. Even the clients will say things like "I know The Guidance Center is always messing up" and ask you "What's going on? Why does everyone quit?" Clients will say "Everything seems to have changed here." Other agencies in the area have stopped referring clients to The Guidance Center.

They are still using paper charts for medical records, and clinicians are not allowed in the chart room. If you need to get a document from the chart, you must request the chart, flip through pages to find the document (if it's even been filed - documents are often missing) take it out, copy it, and then put it back in.

Clinicians are often assigned tasks that are supposed to be performed by other departments. For example, when a client owes a balance and hasn't paid, the clinician will be asked by the billing department to tell the client to pay. This is embarrassing and inappropriate! And it's just one example among many.

Just seek employment elsewhere.
Pros
Salary is good compared to similar agencies in the area.
Cons
Culture of Bullying and Fear and Unethical Behavior
Very overwhelming work load
Parent Support Educator (Former Employee) –  Flat Rock, MINovember 1, 2014
You may be working part-time, contractual, but you will be expected to work full time hours. Expect to work outside of work (at home) to prepare what you have to do to get started for the next day. Your supervisors will not care if you are overworked and getting burned out they will expect you to keep up an unreasonable amount of a workload. Because most of what you make goes into their pocket. I billed enough for my income and 2 others' income as well. They sit at their desk giving you more and more work.
Pros
Some good FREE trainings
Cons
over worked, burned out on workload.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Guidance Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7