The Guidance Center Employee Reviews in United States

I enjoyed my work place location
Site Sub/Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southgate, MIMay 9, 2016
I am grateful for the years spent working for this company. I enjoyed the children and their families we serviced. I learned a lot of things in and out of the classrooms.
Could be a great place to work if they'd retain their staff.
Clinical Record Specialist (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZApril 26, 2016
I worked for TGC from 2006 - 2008. I loved my position, in fact I was promoted up the ranks fairly quickly after starting there as just a temp.

The problem with The Guidance Center is Management and Human Resources.

They'll fire you at TGC for breathing wrong. No joke. Every single day and email would go out naming one or two folks who were 'no longer employed' there.

It has to be expensive to hire people, spend weeks and months of extensive training only to fire people and then replace them again.

The HR and management leaders at TGC seem to be sociopaths, and I oftentimes thought that the clientele (i.e.: mental patients) had more common sense and intelligence than the incompetent people running the place.

I got sick of it and quit this insane asylum and went to work for a much more stable company.
Pros
The actual work is great, good bennies
Cons
The Management, directors and Human Resources robots
A very traumatic experience
MFTI (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAFebruary 4, 2016
It is ironic that a job in mental health was actually very traumatizing. The actual work is great- the cases, experiences, paperwork, and overall services in theory were excellent. The unfortunate reality of this organization is the management. I was constantly put down (several personal remarks made on a regular basis by my supervisors) and supervisors frequently used very foul language. I was unable to function in the work environment. The actual work, compensation, and benefits are ideal for an MFTI who is just starting off in the field. However, the staff does not provide enough encouragement and support for one to feel motivated to continue. I highly discourage working here, as it may turn you away from the field of Mental Health, as it did for me. Please do not be fooled by the cheerful green building and consider another organization to work for.
Poor Morale
case manager (Current Employee) –  Southgate, MIJanuary 2, 2016
The IDD department is poorly managed with lack of supervision and poor training. Team meetings are not very productive, you are belittled by displaying the number of consumers you have seen for the month and harassed to see a number of consumers for so many dollars. It is depressing to come to work when you have no support from your supervisor and told to just complete a new criteria with no instructions on how to do it. You are always directed to someone else to assist that's either as fairly new as you or directed to someone from another department who may not know the answer. The supervisor never gets the answers needed on how to do a task. You are just pushed to your limit with the heavy caseloads. The resources needed to assist the consumers are poor with absolutely no assistance!! Management leaves you in limbo with no answers to resolve difficult situations. Billing has now become a part of case management and consumes your entire day!! It's not enough time in a day to complete all of the chaotic paperwork that's required to do. Some staff are very nice while others will just walk pass when you speak and say nothing like a deer with headlights. It's not a surprise to know another hidden agenda will pop up for you to do without clarity. The work that's required for the pay that you get at TGC is not worth it!!
Pros
Diverse staff with knowledge in different backgrounds.
Cons
Overload of cases, poor management
Great Company
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZDecember 3, 2015
Working for the Guidance Center was very rewarding and I enjoyed working there because they had amazing benefits and rewards. They acknowledged your success.
Bad management
social worker (Current Employee) –  Southgate, MIOctober 27, 2015
Management is terrible. If they don't like you, they will do everything in their means to get you to quit or fire you, this includes making up things about you. Everything is hush hush. Management does not share with staff any information until it's too late. Management talks about staff negatively. Often, there will be a manager that does not even know what the job is of the staff they supervise. They will take that staff's work and use it as their own. Management does not stand up for staff or have their backs in any situation.
Most co-workers are great.
The program I work in is great and has great potential, but again, management brings it down.
Working with the clients and other community members is the best part of the job.
Pros
paid trainings and travel
Cons
pay, management
Management is unpredictable
Supports Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Southgate MIOctober 5, 2015
Good salary, management is unpredictable and the overrall culture of the company is good. Case loads are not reasonable. The hardest pat of the job is the loads of paperwork that is required.
the guidance center
Blended Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Bradford, PAOctober 2, 2015
Work days are long and specific. very stressful job. Lots of paperwork. Hardest part of the job is dealing with people who do not appreciate how much you do for them.
A great place to work. Employees work hard to see that the need is met.
Supervisor Angela Snedecar (Former Employee) –  Intake specialistSeptember 21, 2015
I was at the Guidance Center just over 5 years. I started as reception in the children's department. Later moved to a position with intake as a specialist. The Guidance Center employees are dedicated to making mental health treatment available to all those in need. It was really nice to work for a facility that strives to care for those who often could not care for them selves.
Very Productive and freindly enviroment to work in
Residential Counselor/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mount Kisco, NYSeptember 18, 2015
I have over 6 years of accounting experience. My passion is getting the job done. I have also worked in many other fields including customer services and Mental health. Working with people and helping them is what I enjoy most about my jobs, knowing I made someone's day makes my day.

I was inexperienced in the Mental health field but with 2-3 weeks training I loved it. My day would start at 8am and end at 4pm. I had to house with 6 clients to each house. We had to check all the rooms, help administrate with medications daily. Prepared a daily communication logs on all 12 residents. The daily communications logs was prepared for the staff to know where and how all residents are doing. I also answered phones, order house and office supplies monthly. Prepared petty cash expense report monthly for my supervisor. Held monthly meeting with 2 residents to discuss their progress with medication and goals while at the guidance center house.

My favorite part of my job was interacting with the residents and watching them come out their shyness. My co workers was awesome such a family environment. I learned that I can adapt to many surroundings and still be KIM!!

The hardest part was leaving my job and relocating to Pittsburgh because I missed them. We were so close and they were my family. I still keep in touch with them from time to time.

Just a typical worked day with me!
Pros
Close to home, and I was able to cook their
Cons
No breaks on certains days but it was worth it

Want to know more about The Guidance Center?

Ask a question
Great Starting Job
Mental Health Professional (Current Employee) –  Chalmette, LAAugust 14, 2015
This job was a job that I received in connection with a internship that I had. The people was great and I got a chance to learn about my field of study and the type of people that I would be working with in the future. It was a great job, but the money was poor and I had a new baby.
Pros
Almost Everyting
Cons
Compensation
Very busy office
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSAugust 10, 2015
I answered phones, scheduled/cancelled client appointments, maintained office files. I duplicated insurance documents and received payment transactions. Supported staff.
Great Learning experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Rochelle, NYJuly 29, 2015
My shift would start off with opening up the clinic. Creating the schedules for each therapist for that day. processing the insurances, and making sure payments that were due at time of visit were payed in full at time of appointment. Human Resources was very professional, how ever Management was very Unprofessional. Though I had very nice co workers and worked well with others, my main objective was to finish everything that was on my list of things to do for the present day. Most enjoyable part of the position I must say was the time I seen all patients and there children's faces. I would always get greeted with a smile, and for some children it was a bit difficult for them being that they were all dealing with behavioral health issues. thought I never found a dull moment working with the patients or peds patients being that my son as well is a ADHD child, with many other diagnoses which I found helped me learn to deal with him at home.
Pros
Very great company to work for, great learning capabilities.
Cons
Very disrespectful Higher Personnel
see resume
Accounting Receivable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Southgate, MIJuly 27, 2015
• Works directly with CFO and Accounts Receivable Manager for monthly billings and submission to BHPI or SEMCA and monthly reports.
• Supervisor to billing staff for monthly submission for claims, aging reports, rejections and insurance issues.
• Supervisor to Accounts Payable staff for daily checklists of revenue, posting of cash, general ledger, adjustments, monthly close outs, year end, auditing, budgets for the different government fund programs.
• Runs weekly meeting with clinicians regarding billing issues, posting issues and insurance issues.
• Works with BHPI regarding submission issue and adjustment issues.
• Supervisor to insurance verifications specialist for daily verification issues, monthly verifications for Medicaid, Medicare and other commercial insurance company’s.
• Supervisor for monthly submission for Direct Care Wage.
• Monthly submissions for varies County and Federal reports.
• Supervisor to staff of six regarding daily deadlines and monthly and quarterly deadlines.
• Train and supervisor summer interns.
Respected, Fun, and Positive environment
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSJuly 18, 2015
A typical day at work includes assisting children in developing coping skills. Sometimes, children are willing to work and sessions are easy, while other times, children are more difficult to work with, making sessions more stressful. Coworkers and supervisors are always available to help with anything we may need, however, leading to a positive working environment. It's also quite rewarding to think about how we help youth each and every day.
Excellent
Mental Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Chalmette, LAJune 15, 2015
Kudos to The Guidance Center and all they do for the citizens of St. Bernard. They are a beacon of hope in a community where it's much needed.
Pros
Access to care
Cons
Late nights in the field
Overall the Guidance Center was an enjoyable work place with a wellness center.
Addictions and Family Counselor (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZApril 23, 2015
A typical day at work would be counseling family members both individually and together. I would facilitate substance abuse group counseling sessions. I would present didactic addictions and family dysfunction lectures.

I learned that there are many factors involved in addressing addictions and family dynamics.

I felt management personnel were very fair to their employees.

I got along well with my co-workers. I felt the counselors, clinicians and nurses were very addictions content knowledgeable and demonstrated appropriate empathy and caring towards their clients.

The hardest part of the job was addressing clients denial pertaining to their addictions.

The most enjoyable part of the job was personally witnessing the healing and miracles happen in my clients lives as they accepted their addictions and became willing to change their lives for the better.
Pros
Company picnics and personal growth and team building workshops.
Cons
Some times not being able to take a break because of the daily workload, but that's all part of the job.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bradford, PAApril 8, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job is how the people in my department interact like a family but still can complete their jobs to the fullest. Everyone is very supportive of one another within this department. I've learned how to handle situations on the phone and in person that otherwise I never would have learned.
Good
Clinical Therapist/Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMarch 18, 2015
Good place with nice environment and focus for the community. They been in the community for over twenty years. They provide great services to the community and make every attempt to help employees.
Pros
three day weekends
Cons
n/a
diverse client population, abundant experience opportunitites
Senior Social Worker, Clinician (Current Employee) –  New Rochelle, NYFebruary 28, 2015
rigorous work schedule with high productivity requirements. Diverse population for clients allowed for learning excellent clinical skills. co-workers young entry level or part-time supplemental income clinicians. hardest part of job is thin poor supervision with constant changes to keep up with OMH guidelines and not enough lead time to integrate changes into daily routines. most enjoyable part of job was the clients.
Pros
salary and benifits
Cons
poor supervision and difficult constantly changing expectations.