The Hanover Insurance Group

The Hanover Insurance Group Employee Reviews in United States

Nice people, good management
Underwriting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 2, 2016
Pretty relaxed and they have programs for you to advance your career. Management is nice and will work with you to achieve goals. As far as carriers go there are probably few that are better to work for then Hanover. The negatives are the office is a standard cubicle environment (think office space) and no free coffee..
Pros
Work Life Balance, Excellent Vacation Time
Cons
Compensation, No free coffee
Hard working group
Lead Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 1, 2016
Hanover Insurance over the past 7 to 8 years offered great work experience and challenges and many opportunities and headed in right direction with system upgrades.
Pros
Good systems, benefits and location
Cons
Good systems but headed in right direction
Great people to work with
Appraisal (Current Employee) –  Howell, MIMarch 21, 2016
I enjoy working at The Hanover Insurance Group. I believe my department has a hard time with keeping good, Reliable management on hand. I find it hard to Have my family and my Job with this company. It seems the management is not as open to needed days off or Shift changes to make it work.

The people (my Co-Workers) are great! I see everyone here go over and above for our customers. We are always willing to help, and if we can not for some reason we will confidently get you to someone who can.
Pros
Good people, Great building
Cons
Work/Life balance is harder to accomplish here.
Wonderful culture with many opportunities for career development and advancement.
PRODUCT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 25, 2016
One of the most enjoyable companies to work for. The culture was one that allowed growth and career development. The leadership and management team was genuinely concerned about the employees. Very family oriented and very much a proponent of healthy work life balance.
Overall good place to work
Sr. Catastrophe Property Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 19, 2015
The Hanover Insurance Group is a big enough company that many have heard of it yet small enough where upper management knows your name. It is these little things that makes it an overall nice place to work. With being a smaller company it has the typical smaller company issues(management, workload). They have a really nice campus in MA, which is a nice clean place to work and there are plenty of perks that the local office staff receive. Co-workers are great and typically follow the team motto and will help you in need.
Pros
No micro managing, your not a number, relaxed work enviroment, upward mobility
Cons
No days off except for vacation days, more than average industry work load, minimal bonus and yearly raises, below average catastrophe pay
Mature company finding ways to outpace industry growth
Regional Finance Director (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 3, 2015
Strong culture with a consistent vision of the future. Management is supportive of work life balance. Its a start up mentality for a 160 year old organization.
Pros
Positive culture, small company feel but yet big company resources.
Cons
Advancement takes time as organization is very flat.
An amazing time at Hanover, would recommend.
Insurance rater specialist (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 8, 2015
The HQ was a great place to work at, and it is a great company to work for. The managers and workers are all eager to help you grow and develop your career. The most enjoyable part of the job was how laid back the department was, but that was just something I didn't want.
Pros
Great workers, Great Benefits
Cons
No Free Coffee
This is in regards to Richmond only
Physical Damage Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 28, 2016
The local management was horrible and very two faced. Every one in the auto claims office hated their job but were scared to leave. They expect 12 hour work days for little pay. Do not work for this company in Richmond unless you want to be around depressed people all day. It could likely be very different in the other offices. Training is also beyond sub-par and management does not take feedback well. The local office also denies to many claims so you will get stuck with old rental bills for claimants when the subrogation dept overturns local liability decisions as they do not handle rental for claimants if they paid out of pocket. Evan though I put that I approve of the CEO is being pushed out by the board for someone more "wallstreet" friendly
Pros
working here makes all other jobs seem better
Cons
management, still using outdated stacked ranking for bonuses
Smooth Work Environment
Business Analyst (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 20, 2016
A good work environment where employees takes good care of their customers. They offer a wide range of insurance options yet they don't create a hype of it.

The applications are user friendly and customer-centric.

Overall a good place to pursue your career
It is a great company
Agency Licensing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MA 01653March 10, 2016
The company is a great place to work. The days are very busy with a lot of potential growth. The company has allowed me to grow and become an excellent employee.
Another day at Hanover
Personal Lines Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 15, 2016
I love the company and the people I work with but Mismanagement is the biggest issue among this company. The pay and benefits are amazing, couldn't wish for more.
You work hard for the money
President - Commercial Lines Marine (Former Employee) –  Itasca, ILJune 7, 2016
Outgoing CEO had a dynamic personality and really drove people. Compensation based on results but little life balance.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Expect no life.
Employees were willing to support work at an accelerated pace.
Corporate Project Manager; Manager of EH&S (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 23, 2015
In the area of the business that I worked in there was no daily coordination held. I was given the latitude to institute this as a new procedure. I was also a given the latitude to organize regulatory filing information in to a new file structure format that stood the test of a mock regulatory audit conducted by a independent specialist. The audit passed first time right without comment.
Pros
enjoyed the openness of the organization.
Cons
salary level was not competitive.
Excellent part time work opportunity
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 26, 2016
I work part time for Hanover researching client companies for them to determine exactly what the client does. My supervisor is always readily available, and the work itself is quite manageable.
Decent
Personal Lines (Current Employee) –  Howell, MIJuly 16, 2016
Decent place to work, decent pay, great employees, good benefits, great time off package, set schedule changes every 6 months
Good work/life balance
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 6, 2016
I knew exactly what was expected of me and enjoyed my time there. Very different from many other work environments I have experienced.
Not a good place for a contractor, but as an employee of Hanvoer, I saw employees were happy
Administrative Assistant to HR (Former Employee) –  Worcester County, MAJanuary 11, 2016
Contractors are treated very poorly, Employees seemed happy. Would have been nice to work for Hanover directly. I dont recommend going through a contracting agency
Pros
Cons
Treated poorly as a contractor
Provide you with benefits but you do not get time to use them.
Insurance Service Provider (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 24, 2014
At first the nice benefits package and decent compensation lure you in. The training is rigorous and so much is crammed in at once. The work load you have to endure everyday is taxing. Eventually you start to wear down. Would be a decent job if company was more organized and there was more assistance to the employees. If you can deal with high stress and micromanagement then this job is for you.
Pros
benefits package
Cons
like most call center jobs micromanaged
Unorganized, high turnover, mediocre management
W.C. worker (Current Employee) –  Anonymous, USFebruary 27, 2014
The Worker's Comp unit is a mess, high turnover, management seldom in the office. Corporate interpretation of out of state employment laws governing pay out of time off benefits is questionable. Computer system is antiquated. Cliques and favoritism.
Senior Management should open their eyes and look at what remote location management is doing (and not doing) to benefit the company.
Pros
some employees are professional.
Cons
management incompetence, cliques, favoritism, computer system.
Not a good first job
Property Claims (Former Employee) –  Worcester MAApril 26, 2012
I worked for The Hanover Insurance Group for 2 years. I reported to about 6 different managers w/in the 2 years ( all while I was in the same position), never recieved any feedback on my work or an end of year review. Worked 40+ hrs during the week/weekends with no praise. Was not promised what I was told when I was hired out of college looking for a company to start a career and grow. They are not big on education. The company is trying to grow while it is understaffed.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
no promotions

The Hanover Insurance Group Reviews by Location