The Hanover Insurance Group

The Hanover Insurance Group Employee Reviews

Would not work here.
Attorney (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 24, 2017
The work environment was at best tolerable and at the worst, toxic. Management is terrible and it must trickle down from the top. Mircomanagement of every decision, even of highly paid and trained professionals. Management looks for mistakes, even creates mistakes, in order to justify their positions with the company. Hard-working and highly qualified people are never rewarded for accomplishments and often criticized.

No matter how good the benefits and compensation are, it is not worth working for this company.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor management and work environment
Good Employer
Commercial Lines Rating Specialist (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 4, 2016
Great Environment has been a pleasure working for the company. Company provides great benefits and many opportunites for growth. Very friendly management style.
Some Offices are better than others
Executive Sales Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Itasca, ILDecember 22, 2016
Arrived daily about 8 AM, and left about 5:30 PM... Did some work at home on laptop, and occasionally in the Office on a SaturdayThey are not kind to older, more experienced workers.

Most Co-Workers were very good to work with.

Management had hidden agendas.... very disappointing.

Hardest part of the job was meeting the deadlines with inadequate assistance.

Most enjoyable part of the job was working with Brokers/Agents and meeting with Insureds/Clients..
Pros
let me think about that......
Cons
Non responsive to Employees Medical Issues/needs. Regardless of staffing situation, get the job done anyway you can, and you'll still be "dinged" for lack of documentation.
Another day at Hanover
Personal Lines Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 15, 2016
I love the company and the people I work with but Mismanagement is the biggest issue among this company. The pay and benefits are amazing, couldn't wish for more.
You work hard for the money
President - Commercial Lines Marine (Former Employee) –  Itasca, ILJune 7, 2016
Outgoing CEO had a dynamic personality and really drove people. Compensation based on results but little life balance.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Expect no life.
Decent
Personal Lines (Current Employee) –  Howell, MIJuly 16, 2016
Decent place to work, decent pay, great employees, good benefits, great time off package, set schedule changes every 6 months
Nice people, good management
Underwriting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 2, 2016
Pretty relaxed and they have programs for you to advance your career. Management is nice and will work with you to achieve goals. As far as carriers go there are probably few that are better to work for then Hanover. The negatives are the office is a standard cubicle environment (think office space) and no free coffee..
Pros
Work Life Balance, Excellent Vacation Time
Cons
Compensation, No free coffee
Productive but Stressful
Sr. Learning Consultant (Former Employee) –  Salem, VAJanuary 31, 2017
The company culture is great but the Salem office does not always seem to reflect the company culture as a whole. I learned a lot about corporate politics and that management often has a double sided tongue. The people are the most enjoyable part of the job but oftentimes they are also the hardest part of the job.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Guide wire Consultant (Billing Center (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 13, 2017
Great place to work, Workplace culture motivates the employees learned how to handle critical issues. Management is very supportive and encouraging.
productive work environment
E&O Specialty Underwriter, Professional Liability (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTJanuary 16, 2017
great work environment, positive and productive. Upper management was visible and approachable. The hardest part of the job was their rating systems.
Pros
generous PTO
Cons
hard to take time off at certain times of year
Hanover
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 25, 2017
I did not enjoy working at this company. Lack of opportunities for advancement and uninteresting work were a major problem for me.
positive work environment in a growing company
Senior Field Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 30, 2016
Work from home, and do field work in Virginia. Good relationship with the departments and agents around the state. Coworkers not local but we stay in touch and support each other. Managerial involvment when needed. Hardest art of job in managing paperwork while being in the field most of the time. Best part is meeting with people in the field.
Pros
Autonomous
Cons
claims disputes
Adjuster
Property Field Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Howell, MINovember 16, 2016
This company was a good starting point in my career. I moved on from this position to the CAT Adjuster position. Good overall environment.
Pros
Good Job
Cons
Money
Overall good place to work
Sr. Catastrophe Property Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 19, 2015
The Hanover Insurance Group is a big enough company that many have heard of it yet small enough where upper management knows your name. It is these little things that makes it an overall nice place to work. With being a smaller company it has the typical smaller company issues(management, workload). They have a really nice campus in MA, which is a nice clean place to work and there are plenty of perks that the local office staff receive. Co-workers are great and typically follow the team motto and will help you in need.
Pros
No micro managing, your not a number, relaxed work enviroment, upward mobility
Cons
No days off except for vacation days, more than average industry work load, minimal bonus and yearly raises, below average catastrophe pay
Terrible
Security Representative (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 17, 2016
Not only is the management in this company terrible the pay is ridiculous, They ask too much do not give any employees any acknowledge of their performance. Worst job I ever had....
Pros
absolutely nothing
Cons
everything
Hard working group
Lead Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 1, 2016
Hanover Insurance over the past 7 to 8 years offered great work experience and challenges and many opportunities and headed in right direction with system upgrades.
Pros
Good systems, benefits and location
Cons
Good systems but headed in right direction
Great people to work with
Appraisal (Current Employee) –  Howell, MIMarch 21, 2016
I enjoy working at The Hanover Insurance Group. I believe my department has a hard time with keeping good, Reliable management on hand. I find it hard to Have my family and my Job with this company. It seems the management is not as open to needed days off or Shift changes to make it work.

The people (my Co-Workers) are great! I see everyone here go over and above for our customers. We are always willing to help, and if we can not for some reason we will confidently get you to someone who can.
Pros
Good people, Great building
Cons
Work/Life balance is harder to accomplish here.
Productive and Team work environment
SA / CSR (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MassachusettsJuly 13, 2015
Great Company with substantial benefits and growth opportunities. Must be driven and obtain a license within 45-60 days of employment (or three test maximum) to keep employment. Awesome employee staff and superb commercial lines management for SA's, Matt Monahan in the Worcester headquarter location. Wonderful and energetic work place. Definitely would recommend this company to those whom are interested in an insurance career. This company believes in you, if you show them you want it, endless possibilities!
This is in regards to Richmond only
Physical Damage Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 28, 2016
The local management was horrible and very two faced. Every one in the auto claims office hated their job but were scared to leave. They expect 12 hour work days for little pay. Do not work for this company in Richmond unless you want to be around depressed people all day. It could likely be very different in the other offices. Training is also beyond sub-par and management does not take feedback well. The local office also denies to many claims so you will get stuck with old rental bills for claimants when the subrogation dept overturns local liability decisions as they do not handle rental for claimants if they paid out of pocket. Evan though I put that I approve of the CEO is being pushed out by the board for someone more "wallstreet" friendly
Pros
working here makes all other jobs seem better
Cons
management, still using outdated stacked ranking for bonuses
Wonderful culture with many opportunities for career development and advancement.
PRODUCT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 25, 2016
One of the most enjoyable companies to work for. The culture was one that allowed growth and career development. The leadership and management team was genuinely concerned about the employees. Very family oriented and very much a proponent of healthy work life balance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Hanover Insurance Group. Our community is ready to answer.

The Hanover Insurance Group Reviews by Location