The Hartz Mountain Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Good business reputation, good company to develop a career
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 4, 2014
Not a bad experience. The company is big and has a corporate culture that promotes the well being of the employees. This company has been in business for close to 80 years and is especially known in the north of the country

I spent nine years with them, and it was unfortunate that the economic down turn in 2009 forced the company to restructure management team

I would have spent a long time with them.
Pros
stable, room for growth, good reputation, seriousness, reliable
Cons
the company could use a bit better marketing practices, for some reason they stop expanding
Terrible Culture and Terrible Place to work.
Customer Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJJuly 23, 2013
Company can not accurately ship product. Out of stocks are non-stop and management screams for more sales. Expect to spend 70% of your time fighting fires of Hartz's own making and another 70% of your time preparing budgets and forecasts that will not come true because the company could not ship and/or had quality issue and/or forgot to produce and/or had some sort of delay because nobody really cares. Yes, I realize 70% plus 70% is 140%but stand behind these numbers because that is how much effort you will have to put forth just to stand still.

They cut orders, ship the wrong items, and ship more than the customer orders regularly.

Total company sales has declined every year for past 4 and each year they lay off 3-5% of the workforce and pile the extra work onto existing employees.

Be sure to google "Hartz + recall" to see the results of their quality program. There are non-stop issues with quality and they are constantly recalling something. You will work so hard fixing issues and filling out reports, forms and forecasts that you will never have time to work on things that will grow the business.

You may need to work 70 hours a week and Management will never be happy. They will just pile more work on your plate. The culture is poison. Have interview next week and pray that I get it so I can escape. Also - negotiate for a good salary up front because raises and bonuses are non-existent. In 2009 we had a 15% salary REDUCTION!. Had freeze in 2010, 2% in 2011, and 2% in 2013. With inflation I have lost ground. (These averages are company averages).

Avoid this company at all
  more... cost. DO NOT relocate for this company because you will be unhappy working for them.

PS. I am not a disgruntled employee. I am typical. You should contact other Hartz employees on linked-in and ask them if they agree. Do not take just my word for it. I am telling you the truth but ask a few others and they will confirm.
Pros
pays pretty well and benefits are good
Cons
you will never feel successful or be treated with respect by management.

2.5