The Help Group Employee Reviews in United States

high turnaround
Wraparound (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAJune 16, 2016
This company offers poor management and poor supervision not enough support. Thats probably why people keep quitting. My first month there 6 people quit from my small department. They offer low wages. Its a job if youre desperate.... I was at the time.
Another important fact is that employees do not get treated well by management at Culver City office.
Pros
ok benefits
Cons
poor management
employed here at the time of review, satisfied with work
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 15, 2015
Work is mostly what the job description read. Pay is low, competitive with other residential counselor positions in the area according to glassdoor.com. Most of the negatives seem to be the nature of the work: long hours, low pay, limited say over treatment planning- more treatment enforcing. It is a great opportunity to gain experience with autistic spectrum disorder and other developmental disorders.
Good Experience
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAJuly 16, 2015
Management is average, the supervisors have a heavy workload to be available. Co-workers are very nice. Workload is sometimes not enough for the department but still productive. I would like to see more team building exercises/meetings.
Provided Wraparound services to children, adolescents and families.
Bilingual Therapist LMFT/Wraparound Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJuly 16, 2015
Very manageable case load working with children, adolescents and families to function and integrate into the community. I gained valuable experience in being a part of a treatment team with case managers, parent partners, psychiatrists and community partners. Relaxed paced work environment and manageable work load. Challenging to manage family conflict in the presence of para professionals due to transference and counter transference issues.
Pros
Team approach model, utilizing community resources, manageable case load, relaxed work environment.
Cons
Does not utilize clinical skills.
temp job
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJune 29, 2015
temp job as intern for college. a lot of data entry and observations. good place to work for short time. i don't know what else to say.
Great if not for the summer/winter breaks
Instructional Aide (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAJune 24, 2015
I would like to give this job 5 stars for the coworkers and friendliness of the position but as far as the security, it might have some run for the hill having 6 weeks off with no pay. Yikes, but I enjoy it for now and learn a lot
It's a paycheck
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAMay 24, 2015
Not a good place to work if looking for advancement in your career. Burnout is high, they overwork you for little compensation, and place high demands and expectations on you with no reward. Supervision is not beneficial especially when I know more then my supervisor considering they have all been there for 20 plus years and use old ways of thinking and learning to supervise cases. Inability to fully provide beneficial therapeutic services due to high case loads, high demands of the workplace, and additional duties outside of job description. Fellow employees gossip and make the work environment very difficult to function in. Low morale, no recognition for your hard work and no training or team building seminars. Management does not take employees needs and concerns into account, higher ups play favorites and do things that are detrimental to staff. Best part of the job is the children I work with and my fellow MFT's.
Entry Level
Full Service Partnership Therapist (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAMay 7, 2015
The Help Group is a decent place to start interning for licensing requirements. This agency is entry level unless you are a supervisor.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
organization
Because every employee deserves a great future
Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAMay 1, 2015
The Help Group on the surface is an organization that strives to improve/help children with disabilities. It is a great starter job and the best part of the job is working with the children. The better you are at your job the more difficult your job is. If you are a good employee you are assigned extra tasks without extra compensation, people generally accept this in hopes of moving up within the agency.
Throughout the agency there is a high turn over rate. Typically management sticks around for a while because they have a title and the pay is adequate. Training of employees within the entire agency consists of required hr training and little to no training in practically all departments (this includes administrative positions). Experience is not necessary you basically train yourself as you go. It is easy to fall in love with the job because of the kids but once you look at the business aspect you realize it's just business like all others. If you accept ANY position in which you are paid by the hour within this agency you will be underpaid and most likely unable to support yourself without a second job. (Accept hourly positions only if you are under extreme despair.) It is difficult to get overtime within the agency because of budgeting (even if it is advertised). Raises do not happen very often, every two years or more. However; when raises are given the more money you make the higher your raise will be, they are given based on percentage (example: 2% of whatever you make). If you are lucky and happen to start work on a year they give a raise you will most
  more... likely get the raise. All salary positions are adequately paid (you may have to work and not be rich but you will be able to make a living). Most of the people you will work with will be good.
Although breaks are encouraged if you work directly with the clients they will most likely not happen (HR will have you sign waiver documents for your breaks).
I would love to give this a place more than two stars based on the surface image and their mission statement but in reality 2 stars is adequate. I believe that most employees within this agency have their heart in the right place. I also believe the agency itself can do A LOT to improve the work culture for employees and pay hourly employees WAY WAY better given that this place is not a mom's and pop's shop. There is serious money coming in: exhibit A the marble walls in the main lobby; exhibit B the beautiful new buildings for all the new clients coming in; exhibit c the expansions and purchasing of real estate/new schools.
If hourly employees got paid better the turn over rate would be less and the children would have consistency and stability. Also, the stress level among employees would not be so high there would be experienced and consistent teams working with the children.

Because every employee deserves a great future.
Pros
Job security (due to high turn over rate)
Cons
Low wages
A large and very needed organization.
Vocational Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAMarch 29, 2015
The organization does great work helping those with special needs. They are always looking to improve and expand. The programs are comprehensive dealing with education, housing , behavior and employment.
Not a good agency to work for
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAFebruary 21, 2015
I have never hated a job so much like I did in this agency. Not only was I caring a case load of 30 plus client. I was ask numerous time to "cover" the receptionist desk" and do translations for the doctor. If I said no I would get introuble or if I said yes these supervisor didn't appreciate nothing you did. Pay sucks and benefits. If you going to work here just be warn.
Pros
share office with nice co worker
Cons
management horrible
This was an amazing place to work, Management was attentive and caring, and my team mates were supportive and proactive.
Substitute Teacher/ Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAOctober 14, 2014
I learned to make lesson plans, run a classroom, manage a small team, and act as a facilitator in a number of instances. The whole experience was a very positive one for me.
poor pay
Mental Health Clinician (Current Employee) –  13130 burbank blvd sherman oaks ca 91401September 9, 2014
employees work hard but are not compensated accordingly. raises are rare and very little (1% or 2%) No room for growth.
Pros
love the population of kids we work with
Cons
bad company to dedicate your career to.
Great mission statement and good place to work
Teacher's Aide (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAOctober 30, 2013
The Help Group is a great organization that has an amazing mission. However, the high school program, Village Glen, is not very organized and the teachers and aides are very underpaid for the amount that they are worked.
Multi-tasking experience
General Office Support (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 10, 2013
I carried several responsibilities. I priotised what was needed first and let my supervisor know of what task I was at present.
Pros
daytime desk job
Cons
little confusing software
understanding Behaviors
Autism Behavior Aide/One To One (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAAugust 7, 2013
keeping your eyes and ears open.One thing ive learned working with kids with autisum is everyone has different levels of behavior you have ur low function and high function.Know with my case i had a hight function child but with very bad behaviors.what was rewarding is that i was able to control all of his behaviors that mom, theraphist and fam couldnt like biting kicking and spitting that was a plus for me.But i can say one of my hardest parts was understanding why he wouldnt eat after taking meds.well as i did research i found out that the meds made him yper and goofy so he rather play than eat.
Pros
fixing a bad behavior
Cons
no insurance
A place where you learn something every day.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAJuly 28, 2013
The population, which is youth with autism, was definitely a challenge but rewarding at the same time. Every day we assist students get through a typical day, which consist of reading, writing and socializing. Management was not typically present when there were incidents with the students. My co-workers were very helpful and work felt like home due to the tight-knit rapport we had with each other. When one student had an outburst, it became difficult to supervise other students. I truly enjoyed working with this population. They taught me so much about appreciating life and not taking things for granted. I would definitely work with this population again.
Looking to really make a difference? Find someplace else.
Direct Care Staff Adult DD (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAJuly 15, 2013
This place is ideal to work if you really need a job and healthcare or you really need experience, if you can spare the time and go out and accomplish your goals, do that instead. The hours are long and as an employee, your options do not account for much. While I understand that yes, it is about the clients, working so many hours with them (at time spending more time with them than their own families do) should warrant for something. There is no growth for advancement. They're moving people around and out instead of just hiring new workers. Think of the term 'Cheaper to keep her'.

A typical day is over 14 hrs., depending on what facility you work at varies. You may work in a facility./house/home where they are very dependent on you, or one in which they are very independent, just depends. The organization is client centered for the most part, especially for the adolescents. The adult homes are kind of looked over, and not a 'really big deal' as I was told by a supervisor. Overall, management is ok. My immediate co-worker/partner is something else. They have taken cash from the facility, they have shown up to work hours after they were initially to report. Outside of them and two other co-workers, everyone is level-headed, but are not the type to speak up and out for themselves for the notion that nothing will get done, which has ultimately been proven more times than debunked.

The hardest part of this job is the personalities you have to work with. And honestly, when you have the up-most intention of doing something to change a clients life or adding new activities etc...,
  more... there's 10 other staff out for blood because you added 'more' to their work load. Not to mention that we are underpaid for the hours we put in ($8 an hr.) even with overtime and double time, it still equates to what someone who works 40 hrs. a week takes home (after the high healthcare and taxes)

The most enjoyable part of this job is the clients. Especially, when you can take them out of the rut that most of the previous staff have had them in and expose them to new things, and show them that a disability, is just a word, and should not be a barrier. It's the most amazing thing. You feel like you've actually accomplished something in your life.
Review Summary
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAJuly 12, 2013
Working at the Help Group UCLA Autism Research Alliance has been a great learning experience. A typical day at work includes scoring and verifying data, inputting data into excel, creating packets for future training programs, and recruiting for upcoming studies. The co-workers and bosses are all friendly and very sweet. They are well organized and teach the Research Assistants with patience and are available anytime with any questions. There really is no difficult part of the job except if you chose to create your own abstract and apply to conferences across the globe, than that takes up personal time and commitment. Personally, the hardest thing that I have had to overcome was the public speaking aspect of working at the THG Alliance. The most enjoyable part of the job is that we are all a team which creates a friendly, fun, and enjoyable environment that makes you want to come to work everyday. It is nice to have a balance of hard work surrounded by knowledgeable and easy going peers.
Pros
sometimes free lunches, snacks and coffe in the office
Excellent work enviornments
Life Skills Coach (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAApril 17, 2013
I enjoy working with clients in their personal space as it helps to build workable relationships with parents and clients.