The Help Group Employee Reviews

schedule works with family personal life
Preschool special needs teachers aide (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAApril 23, 2017
i like that we have weekends off and we have the summer off. there are many opporunities to work summer camp. the coworkers are easy to get along with.
I guess it happens everywhere...
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAApril 11, 2017
For management its not about the students (autistic). It's about the money. There are areas where students will never improve because that will not help the bottom line.
Pros
Some teaching staff and aides really care about the kids.
Cons
Great for the kids not the employees
Social Enterprise Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 4, 2017
This is an amazing organization for the kids and young adults that get to go here. The leadership is not the best and you will be overworked, under paid and undervalued.
The Help Group
Vocational Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAFebruary 23, 2017
It is been a pleasure to work with this company. I love to work with children around me. Staff are very friendly and cooperative. Supervisor is very nice and friendly.
productive and creative
Instructor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CADecember 21, 2016
It is a very great place to work at if your going into special education. I had the opportunity to work with good teachers that took the time to care and teach the children.
The Help Group
Teacher Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CADecember 14, 2016
Competitive salary, great teachers. High turn over in some departments depending on the administration. Recent turnover of the entire Human Resources department is questionable.
Pros
Competitive salary, great teachers.
Cons
High turn over in some departments depending on the administration.
Incorrect
Real Estate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORDecember 6, 2016
Incorrect job review for the Help group. I never worked there. They won't let me continue until I just keep typing more words in here. So sorry!
Cons
Team I worked with was awesome
Individualized Education Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CASeptember 26, 2016
The management team that I worked closely with was a pleasure to work with. Company coworkers always made for a supportive team that made it a pleasure to work with. The job was very fast paced and downtime is highly unlikely. Fortunately, I was blessed with a team that tried to do their best to show me the ropes whenever I was unsure and when I first started in this position. A typical day consisted of phone call, emails, meetings, sending out paperwork and receiving paperwork, spreadsheets, uploading information, and coordination Individualized education meetings.
Pros
Team I worked close to school was a please
Cons
Lots of work, no raise, and upper managment
high turnaround
Wraparound (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAJune 16, 2016
This company offers poor management and poor supervision not enough support. Thats probably why people keep quitting. My first month there 6 people quit from my small department. They offer low wages. Its a job if youre desperate.... I was at the time.
Another important fact is that employees do not get treated well by management at Culver City office.
Pros
ok benefits
Cons
poor management
great starting place !
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 15, 2016
The help Group is a haven for all of the student because they have special needs that are not easily met in other schools and School Districts. Every day is a different experience never the same always something to learn to do to make things better.

my coworker are all mostly team players looking out for the students and other coworkers !

The hardest part of the day depends on you yourself how you manage any difficulty that may come about!

The most enjoyable part of the day would be to see progress and some type of accomplishment from a student or from myself being helpful!
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
short breaks
employed here at the time of review, satisfied with work
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 15, 2015
Work is mostly what the job description read. Pay is low, competitive with other residential counselor positions in the area according to glassdoor.com. Most of the negatives seem to be the nature of the work: long hours, low pay, limited say over treatment planning- more treatment enforcing. It is a great opportunity to gain experience with autistic spectrum disorder and other developmental disorders.
Good Experience
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAJuly 16, 2015
Management is average, the supervisors have a heavy workload to be available. Co-workers are very nice. Workload is sometimes not enough for the department but still productive. I would like to see more team building exercises/meetings.
Provided Wraparound services to children, adolescents and families.
Bilingual Therapist LMFT/Wraparound Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJuly 16, 2015
Very manageable case load working with children, adolescents and families to function and integrate into the community. I gained valuable experience in being a part of a treatment team with case managers, parent partners, psychiatrists and community partners. Relaxed paced work environment and manageable work load. Challenging to manage family conflict in the presence of para professionals due to transference and counter transference issues.
Pros
Team approach model, utilizing community resources, manageable case load, relaxed work environment.
Cons
Does not utilize clinical skills.
temp job
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJune 29, 2015
temp job as intern for college. a lot of data entry and observations. good place to work for short time. i don't know what else to say.
Great if not for the summer/winter breaks
Instructional Aide (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAJune 24, 2015
I would like to give this job 5 stars for the coworkers and friendliness of the position but as far as the security, it might have some run for the hill having 6 weeks off with no pay. Yikes, but I enjoy it for now and learn a lot
It's a paycheck
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAMay 24, 2015
Not a good place to work if looking for advancement in your career. Burnout is high, they overwork you for little compensation, and place high demands and expectations on you with no reward. Supervision is not beneficial especially when I know more then my supervisor considering they have all been there for 20 plus years and use old ways of thinking and learning to supervise cases. Inability to fully provide beneficial therapeutic services due to high case loads, high demands of the workplace, and additional duties outside of job description. Fellow employees gossip and make the work environment very difficult to function in. Low morale, no recognition for your hard work and no training or team building seminars. Management does not take employees needs and concerns into account, higher ups play favorites and do things that are detrimental to staff. Best part of the job is the children I work with and my fellow MFT's.
Entry Level
Full Service Partnership Therapist (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAMay 7, 2015
The Help Group is a decent place to start interning for licensing requirements. This agency is entry level unless you are a supervisor.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
organization
Because every employee deserves a great future
Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAMay 1, 2015
The Help Group on the surface is an organization that strives to improve/help children with disabilities. It is a great starter job and the best part of the job is working with the children. The better you are at your job the more difficult your job is. If you are a good employee you are assigned extra tasks without extra compensation, people generally accept this in hopes of moving up within the agency.
Throughout the agency there is a high turn over rate. Typically management sticks around for a while because they have a title and the pay is adequate. Training of employees within the entire agency consists of required hr training and little to no training in practically all departments (this includes administrative positions). Experience is not necessary you basically train yourself as you go. It is easy to fall in love with the job because of the kids but once you look at the business aspect you realize it's just business like all others. If you accept ANY position in which you are paid by the hour within this agency you will be underpaid and most likely unable to support yourself without a second job. (Accept hourly positions only if you are under extreme despair.) It is difficult to get overtime within the agency because of budgeting (even if it is advertised). Raises do not happen very often, every two years or more. However; when raises are given the more money you make the higher your raise will be, they are given based on percentage (example: 2% of whatever you make). If you are lucky and happen to start work on a year they give a raise you will most
  more... likely get the raise. All salary positions are adequately paid (you may have to work and not be rich but you will be able to make a living). Most of the people you will work with will be good.
Although breaks are encouraged if you work directly with the clients they will most likely not happen (HR will have you sign waiver documents for your breaks).
I would love to give this a place more than two stars based on the surface image and their mission statement but in reality 2 stars is adequate. I believe that most employees within this agency have their heart in the right place. I also believe the agency itself can do A LOT to improve the work culture for employees and pay hourly employees WAY WAY better given that this place is not a mom's and pop's shop. There is serious money coming in: exhibit A the marble walls in the main lobby; exhibit B the beautiful new buildings for all the new clients coming in; exhibit c the expansions and purchasing of real estate/new schools.
If hourly employees got paid better the turn over rate would be less and the children would have consistency and stability. Also, the stress level among employees would not be so high there would be experienced and consistent teams working with the children.

Because every employee deserves a great future.
Pros
Job security (due to high turn over rate)
Cons
Low wages
A large and very needed organization.
Vocational Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAMarch 29, 2015
The organization does great work helping those with special needs. They are always looking to improve and expand. The programs are comprehensive dealing with education, housing , behavior and employment.
Not a good agency to work for
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAFebruary 21, 2015
I have never hated a job so much like I did in this agency. Not only was I caring a case load of 30 plus client. I was ask numerous time to "cover" the receptionist desk" and do translations for the doctor. If I said no I would get introuble or if I said yes these supervisor didn't appreciate nothing you did. Pay sucks and benefits. If you going to work here just be warn.
Pros
Share office with nice co worker
Cons
Management horrible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Help Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8