HJF is seeking a Managing Editor to support the National Center for Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness (NCDMPH), located in Rockville, Maryland. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to NCDMPH.
Incumbent will function as the Managing Editor for a bimonthly, peer-reviewed scientific journal.
Work with part-time, offsite DMPHP editor-in-chief in developing the content, scheduling, and structure of the journal. Receive submitted manuscripts, manage the peer-review process, and prepare bimonthly publications plus any supplemental issues. Coordinate activities related to resource development and editorial staff meetings.
1. Oversee the peer-review process for submitted material to ensure high quality and timely reviews. Assist the Associate Editors with the selection of referees for the peer-review process. Communicate with authors regarding the status of their submissions and any other inquiries.
2. Proofread and send decision letters through the peer review system.
3. Manage database of files and ensure proper documentation of accepted and published manuscripts.
4. Obtain copyright transfer and conflict of interest disclosure forms from all authors and maintain database of these documents.
5. Work with journal publisher to ensure production deadlines for each issue are met.
6. Correspond with the editor-in-chief and deputy editor regarding publication schedule and issue slating.
7. Organize regular conference calls and meetings of the associate editors and/or editorial board; take and distribute meeting minutes.
8. Respond to routine correspondence and inquiries related to the journal.
9. Work with the editor, publisher, and Society for Disaster Medicine and Public Health to help develop and implement marketing for the journal.
10. Oversee journal website information and communicate necessary changes to technical staff.
11. Oversee journal editing and proofreading done by the associate editors, production staff, and freelance copyeditor(s).
12. Ensure the journal’s content contributes to the knowledge in the field and is of high quality, credible, and relevant to the readership.
13. Evaluate all submitted material fairly, avoiding bias, conflict of interest, and external pressure in making editorial decisions.
14. Establish and implement processes to help maintain and monitor journal quality and identify errors and problems.
15. Provide strategic guidance and input to editorial timeliness and special issues themes, as well as providing input to marketing and outreach strategies to our multidisciplinary and global
16. Update Web site homepage, manage Event Calendar, post highlighted articles and manage back end content.
17. Attend key conferences and meetings, domestic and global, to represent and promote DMPHP visibility to and engagement with the medical and public health communities.
18. Coordinate and plan the annual Editorial Board meeting which included travel, hotel & dining arrangements, and meeting agenda & minutes.
19. Prepare year-end annual summary report for presentation to Board.
20. Performs other duties as assigned.
REPORTS TO: Editor-in-Chief, Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness (DMPHP) and Operations Director, HJF
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Excellent written and verbal communication skills; analytical and logic skills; time management and organizational skills; ability to work independently.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Master’s degree in Journalism or English with coursework or experience in the health sciences, or degree in the health sciences with technical editorial experience.
Minimum Experience: 2 years prior experience as a managing editor, a demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology, and familiarity with AMA style formatting is strongly preferred. Proven ability to work with authors of international academic stature and to work effectively in a team setting preferred.
Please apply on-line at www.hjf.org/careers Click “Advanced Search” and enter job number 207972 in the Job Opening ID box.
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. (HJF) is a congressionally authorized, not-for-profit corporation that provides unparalleled scientific and management services to military medical research and education programs worldwide. Our mission is to advance military medical research. AA/EEO
For a comprehensive list of our benefits, please visit: http://www.hjf.org/careers/benefits.html.