The Hershey Company Employee Reviews

Retail Sales Representative
Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mountain Home, ARNovember 4, 2016
Overall, I would recommend this job to someone who doesn't mind traveling a lot. It's a very large territory and honestly, too much for one person to cover. Management wise, there was a transition shortly after I started and I didn't have a manager for 3 months. This was at the very beginning of my job and I felt like I didn't receive enough training before the management transition. Once a new manager was hired I felt like he wasn't very invested or cared about me or my territory. Job is designed for someone who doesn't mind traveling and who also doesn't mind working early mornings and late nights during holidays. Pay is competitive along with benefits, but in my opinion not worth it when it comes to job stress.
Pros
Competitive pay, benefits, company car
Cons
Long hours, work with Walmart
Be ready to stock shelves at WalMart..
Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 11, 2016
90% merchandising, 10% sales. A combination of salary and hourly, with immense pressure to work the max of 55 hours per week. Very little opportunity for high dollar bonuses. Competition for promotions is intense, as nobody wants to be in this position for more than 2 years. Very labor intensive, you're body will break down during Easter and Halloween seasons. Very little meaningful support from your manager, they're more concerned about useless metrics. A good company to have on your resume, nothing more.
Pros
company car
Cons
work 55 hrs per week, HR looks the other way on far too many things
Giant center was a cool place to work but did not get many hours and the pay rate was low
Event Staff (Former Employee) –  Giant CenterMarch 23, 2017
Since I like hockey, working at the giant center was a lot of fun. However, I was not getting many hours and the hourly pay rate was not very much considering the amount of hard work that we were doing. Benefits were not too bad, though. Overall the Giant Center is a great building but did not fit my needs.
Easy work, fun environment but questionable management
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 5, 2016
Typical day was logging waste and write-offs and generating reports. It's pretty rare for anyone to get full time hours and benefits are practically nonexistent, aside from the discount.
Pros
Good team environment.
Cons
No raises for most employees, little in the way of benefits
Established company with high brand recognition
Shift Production Supervisor, Bars Business Unit (Former Employee) –  Robinson, ILAugust 4, 2016
Food manufacturing environment; required to function in many different roles: HR, QA, Maintenance, Finance, Planning, Scheduling, Training.

Shift supervisors ensure products are manufactured within specs, operators are trained, work assignments properly followed, production rates met, downtime recorded and prevented.

Fellow supervisors are a great team.

Plant management has undergone several changes in the past few years.

Corporate offices recently went through a large restructuring.

Many operators are cynical, as the manufacturing environment has changed over the past decades and global competition has driven operational changes. Workload is lighter and compensation better than competitors, but many employees don't realize how good they have it. Overall, employees are committed to producing a quality product, even if they disagree with changes Hershey makes to remain competitive.
Pros
Excellent compensation compared to competitors
Cons
Shiftwork; frequently required OT on weekends, some holidays.
Great benefits
Reeses Panner (Former Employee) –  Robinson, ILFebruary 12, 2017
Big company but has good pay and excellent benefits. Good working environment. Lots of overtime if desired. Friendly coworkers. Good training for all jobs.
Soap opera - or how to do everything wrong and get paid for it
Maintence Technician (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJune 10, 2016
Like the other reviewers said the major problem with this facility is the "management" staff group.
The staff promotes division within the departments, between the departments and between the hourly workers.
Upper staff has a corporate 1 to 2 year turnover rate, middle level staff is filled with "lifers" who are yes men to the upper revolving staff members to retain their jobs.
Lower level staff is filled with new faces as the newly hired members realize within 6 months that corporate is blowing smoke out their lower orifice.
Hourly people just show up and do their job, no more, no less, collect a paycheck and go home.
Company rules are applied as they see fit or who you are.

Pay is top for the area, benefits are good, 401K match is good.
Pros
Pay and benefits are in top 5 for the area
Cons
Company culture of decit, falsehoods, excessive and forced overtime
Inept management
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAJune 26, 2016
Inept management. They hire inexperienced managers that are more interested in employee discipline than helping get the job done. Work life balance is non-existent, they constantly force overtime with no regards to already worked hours. Pay is at the low end on the industry. The company and union collude to diminish workers rights. It's all about the Got Ya mentality.
Pros
There really are no pros.
Cons
Massive amounts of overtime. Overpriced and under-performing benefits.
Great place no room for advacement
Audio Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAAugust 4, 2016
Exactly what the title says just read the title, I only dislike that there is no room to advance my career. When you do have a chance too it has hardly any worthwhile benefits
Pros
Free tickets to Park
Cons
Healthcare, Benefits
fun environment to work in
Cash Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAApril 17, 2016
One of the most valuable things I have learned by working at Hershey's Chocolate World is customer service. We are dedicated to making sure that all of our customers have the best visit we can give them. My co workers is one of the biggest reason I have worked at the company for the past seven years. The hardest part of the job is the summer months because of us being a tourist attraction we get extremely busy which can be stressful. The most enjoyable part of the job are my co-workers and how we work as a team to get the job done.
Pros
the perks-discounts
Cons
management and salary
Production
Production (Current Employee) –  Stuarts Draft, VAMarch 8, 2017
If you want your spouse to work at a a place where men and women hookup then let them go here to work. The women and men here frolic and fratenize with one another at work and out in the parking lot among other things. They even allow spousal assault on their premises and the people who commit the crime on video are allowed to keep their jobs. Management does nothing and could care less of the trashy nasty stuff that goes on around their product. Not a place with morals or values. All this place has to offer is money and men and women hookups.
Pros
Money
Cons
Hookups and drama
Go for It
Sensory Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 4, 2017
Great place to work,helpful management,no work load ,good work life balance , limited scope to impliment your ideas , good pay, paid holidays, like working here
Pros
good place
Cons
difficult interviews
Great to sell chocolate etc. 20 hours a week to 155 convenient stores and grocery stores in my territory
Field Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 14, 2017
Enjoyed working with managers of stores, cutting in new products and pushing for more space for candy and mints. I have 3 managers while working for Hershey's Company and all 3 had different goals to push for in my territory. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know store managers, getting their respect so I could cut in new products with ease. The hardest part of the job was traveling to all my 155 stores under a specific amount of route time every cycle.
Pros
new candy was delivered to house, winning awards etc...money for contests
Cons
never staying under 20 hours to get the job done, not getting paid for overtime to get specific jobs done and the travel time home.
Franchise Ice Cream stroe - Awful
Cashier/Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, MDDecember 28, 2016
There was terrible management. This means employees are responsible for dealing with customers who get upset when there are not enough spoons, ice cream cups, or certain kinds of cones for example. The hygienic practices were just good enough, I learned how to operate a basic cash register, I gained experience working and communicating with people who did not speak English very well. I was underpaid, as were some employees who may not have even been legally allowed to work in the U.S.
Great place to work just no chance for advancment
Territory Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 15, 2016
Great company to work for wonderful benefits.

Management was average but cared. Did not provide a lot of training locally. And the expectations were unrealistic on the part of local management.
Pros
SALARY
Cons
ADVANCEMENT
Horrible place to work
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTDecember 11, 2016
Have their workers working way to much never really have time off to see their kids won't change over time from mandatory to optional, not very many chances to advance and not high enough pay for how many hours they are making their workers work
Pros
Free candy
Cons
Short breaks, to many hours in one week
if you want to make money and have no life
Packer (Current Employee) –  Hazleton, PAJanuary 15, 2017
the only care in this company in Hazleton is to get as much candy out as possible. there is no work life/balance. you will work 7 days/week 8-12 hours a day. even the temps .
Pros
decent money but after taxes
Cons
you might as well live here, oh you do
A cultural- diverse workplace
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PASeptember 26, 2016
A typical day at worked consisted of restocking shelves, ringing up customers orders, help guests find items they are looking for and deliver it all with a smiling face. I learned how to communicate with guests, problem-solving, work a register, and be a part of a team. Our management cared about our well-being. My co-workers were friendly and helpful. They accepted me when I started working and worked well with others. I believe the hardest part of the job would be standing at a register for hours in a row. The most enjoyable part of the job would be interacting with people.
Pros
free chocolate in the breakroom. 50% off on other food and 25% on retail items, and 45 minute break.
Cons
bad pay, standing for long periods in one spot
Hershey
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJanuary 6, 2017
Excellent company, excellent culture, opportunity for advancement. Representing great brands, working with great people, very competitive, but team environment.
Pros
culture
Cons
travel
Active sales environment, both physically and mentally engaging.
Retail Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 29, 2016
The average day of wok at Hershey's includes getting up at 5:15 in the morning to be at your first store by 7 at the latest. We have iPads that track everything from your store check in time to the sales of the stores. We would deal with the management of retailers to get the product's presence as maximized as possible and help getting product out of the backroom. You learn a lot about retail and the industry, as well as how each different store works with their particular market. The other members of the sales team are what I enjoyed about the job. The team was very motivated and very willing to go out of their way and help in every way. Some of the aspects of the job that weren't very enjoyable were the long hours especially in the busy seasons (Valentines, Easter, Halloween, Christmas) and the physicality factor of heavy lifting. Most of the job was very autonomous and solo, with the exception of dealing with management in the beginning of the store visit. Although we met with the team about once a month, it would have been nice if there was more opportunities to collaborate with the team.
Pros
The team was great a well as benefits.
Cons
Long hours, not very collaborative.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Hershey Company. Our community is ready to answer.