The Hershey Company Employee Reviews in United States

Overkill trying to get the job
Retail sales merchandiser (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 15, 2015
Strung me along for a month, did third interview, ride along which was 4 hours + drive time and was notified I made the final interview phase. Interview was scheduled for 4:30pm on a Friday. Was supposed to meet with two higher ups - only one was there. Interview went great! Was told during interview that even though they were going to notify new hire by beginning of next week, position would not start For at least two months. Got form rejection letter on Monday. Very unorganized, impersonal, communication is poor, not worth the effort for a part time job!!
Pros
Cons
Long driving. No advancement
Get free chocolate and the perks are really cool.
Food Attendant (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PADecember 3, 2015
I love working at Hershey Chocolate World, I love working with the public and I love working with most of the people I work with. I get a long with everyone there. The hours are great and they work with you for the most part.
Pros
I get to use my gifts, can put myself off the schedule for certain days without worrying about getting fired.
Cons
Its part time, and they don't always schedule you in the same area, and they don't always schedule you everyday everyweek.
Don't work HERE!!
Sales Lead/ Stock Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Times Square, NYNovember 29, 2015
The store has a new management team that is very biased. The new GM is trying coldheartedly to get rid of people that have been there 1+ years. The company isn't part if a union--HR doesn't give to Fs about what goes down there. There is no room for advancement. If all you care about is your money--go ahead and apply. but the stress of it all isn't worth it.
Pros
co-workers--we were all one big family
Cons
management, no advancement
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PANovember 16, 2015
I operated many candy production machines, I packed candy bars and placed them into boxes, my employment took me into many departments in the factory.I made many friends and lasting memories working with these people. I made a descent salary and good benefits. The harderst part was standing on hard floors and repetitious packing.
Pros
Lasting memories! Good pay and benefits
Cons
The company downsized
Great company, benefits, and managers-sales is getting pushy
Retail Sales Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCNovember 13, 2015
5 hours, M-Th with some flexibility. I would visit 7-9 stores each day. Almost 200 stores total (though they try to keep you around 170). So I saw each store every 6 weeks.

Large chains would be mostly merchandising. Build good relationships with your managers and many will let you place mini displays of candy. Basically they want you to have candy all over the store if possible for impulse buys.

Independently owned stores are spent selling selling selling. Gaining spots for your products in the set, this requires you to pull a competitors product. Speaking to the owner/manager about why your product is superior. Selling special shipper units, other special promotions and ugh... contracts. This is the biggest drawback. They are difficult to sell and you are expected to constantly increase these. Contracts consist of extensive amounts of prepacked shipper units of candy as a base requirement. (OK there is a smaller contract as well for smaller stores) They get rebates based on their sales for accepting these shippers. They can also gain larger rebates for additional things like maintaining distribution amounts. It gets very complicated and distributors don't always follow through with the correct products or stores can't sell it (though the distributor is supposed to refund it if it doesn't sell). Needless to say, ensuring your stores get their rebate so that they will continue doing the contracts can get very difficult. This is the only drawback to the work I believe. I know they are working hard to improve their technology to make this work better.

Oh we also visited
  more... Food Lions which is a whole different story. Mostly maintaining planned merchandising items sold by a separate sales person to them. Once again, gaining additional placements of products in the store as well.

It is great hours, if you want part time, great pay and benefits and lots of people to work with. Though they are different people every day and you mostly work alone. Well, it's just sales, and sometimes you feel bad trying to talk a small business owner into purchasing so much product to meet your sales goals.
Pros
Pay, flexibility, people
Cons
Contract compliance and sales
Excellent Company
Vice President, Internal Audit (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PANovember 10, 2015
Great people.

Great brands.

Great tone at the top.

The Company can provide a great deal of exposure and experience to younger workers who are looking to advance their careers.

If you are considering joining this company, I encourage you to apply for relevant openings given your skill sets.
Incredible Culture and Company to Work for.
Retail Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 8, 2015
Everything about Hershey has an incredible benefit to being involved in such a wonderful company. Must be willing to relocate if you ever plan to advance your career with Hershey.
Productive and fun place to work
Production Packer (Former Employee) –  Hazle Township, PANovember 1, 2015
Fun place to work with supportive management.You get the training to learn all the aspects of the job.this is expected of a big company.You get the help from your co-workers.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Change of shifts
It was a wonderful job with amazing people. Great experience
Production worker (Former Employee) –  Stuarts DraftOctober 22, 2015
It was a wonderful place of employment. My coworkers became extended family. Management was constantly changing as well as guidelines/rules, so that made it kind of tough for a while. Believe it or not, the hardest part of the job was bidding off of one job to go to a new one. Bidding off was easy, but leaving your "line family" was incredibly tough....for me anyway. The best part about working here, is knowing that what your making will make someone happy, even if its just for a few minutes.
Pros
wonderful coworkers
Cons
management and guidlines constantly changing.
Promoted and sold all Hersheys products,
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAOctober 20, 2015
I loved my job of working in the public. Building eye catching displays and organized the products to maintain top sells.
I work well with the managers and developed good relationships with them.'
My customers could count on me and trust me to full feel my words d stand behind our product
Pros
Working indeptant and developing repour with my customers
Cons
Driving in bad weather
Very disorganized, confusing place to work.
Case picker, moved product and stacked cases (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UtOctober 13, 2015
Come in, do stretches, get your order forms and drive the pallet jacks to fill the orders. Learned how to drive the pallet jack. The management was very disorganized and unfair and the coworkers were often quite disrespectful. The hardest part of the job was the unfairness and the best part was that I liked driving the pallet jack.
Productive and Challenging work environment
Category Strategy and Insights Intern (Current Employee) –  Hershey,PAOctober 7, 2015
This is an awesome company that wants you to excel in your area. They provide training for new skills, great work life balance, and truly care about their employers. Managers are understanding, but they do require a lot of work but it is manageable.
Pros
Competative pay
Cons
Many Reports
very relaxed workplace
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Lafayette,laOctober 4, 2015
I enjoyed working there and appreciated all the help and schedule flexibility I received. Most of co-workers were team players and we always completed assignments.
Large Corporate structure, small fish in a big pond atmosphere. Good people and management is supportive.
Manager, Culinary R&D, Food Service, Licensing (Former Employee) –  Hershey PaSeptember 29, 2015
Iconic American Corporation success story. Can be fun at times but as big as Hersheys is, your contributions go largely unnoticed.

Good people and if you keep your nose to the grindstone, maybe you can have some upward mobility.
Pros
Excellent benefits, great community.
Cons
Winters are bitter cold.
Company culture is changing
Employee (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PASeptember 28, 2015
With Hershey's recent re-structuring, the company has lost a huge number of committed,experienced and smart employees across the organization, while keeping the senior leadership essentially intact. These changes demonstrate that the senior leaders are out of touch with the organization and the previous family-oriented culture appears to be changing. Milton Hershey would be disappointed.
Pros
Strong brands with potential for growth
Cons
Senior leadership is disconnected
Productive and fun place to work
Category Consultant / Virtual Reality Capabilities (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 24, 2015
I enjoy working for The Hershey Company as they are forward thinking as well as flexible with schedule. They are industry leaders when it comes to strategic projects and technologies.
factory job
Temp (Former Employee) –  Robinson, ILSeptember 16, 2015
hershey was straight forward job, you go in they tell you where you're going to work that night and you go do it. pay is was also nice.
Managers are the key to keeping people, and motivating us
Sales & Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PASeptember 8, 2015
Covering large areas makes things difficult, and there is a great deal of freedom to do things our way. So it is important to be self motivated, and always working, or this job will bury you fast
Pros
personal freedom to get the work done on our terms
not fun and stressful
Retail Sales Representative/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 27, 2015
management is not all all good. Did not enjoy the work or what they were asking of us.
Unfair to employees, do not try to promote from within and until they were sued they wanted you to put in 60 hours a week.
Pros
the company name and training
Cons
stress, not good to their employees
Sweetest Job on Earth
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIAugust 25, 2015
Working for The Hershey Company offers the chance for entry level sales people to grow and develop their skill set to new heights. Hershey offers continued training and holds monthly regional business meetings to demonstrate your sales call procedure.
Pros
Work from Home
Cons
Company Tracks your Sales Route