The Hertz Corporation Employee Reviews

Found 1,352 reviews matching the search
Wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  MarylandJuly 21, 2015
A typical day always involves being extremely understaffed while attempting to meet the extreme and ever changing demands of upper management and consumers.

Let break it down:
Consumers: Think you are operating a used car lot with cars that are magically cleaned, washed, and maintenanced. Oh the also realized they are rental cars but expect them to be in the condition of a brand new car.

In the consumers defense, if we were staffed properly, cleaning the cars wouldn't be such an issue. Currently we are so short staffed, when I run out of clean cars, I need to take a cordless phone out with me, lock the store, clean as many cars as possible (no matter the weather) before a customer either shows up at the door or calls in. Yes lock the store, because if an auditor shows up and is able to access your location you will be termed, rather then them realizing you should be better staffed.

Also customers are under the impression that I can pick them up or take them home while I am by myself. So I lock up the store and hope I am back before anyone shows up.

Staffing issue impacts: Out side of those already listed, I work open to close everyday and then some. Not to mention doing the job of 4+ people as the exceptions continue to grow! Forget having time to actually eat. Because of course while all this goes on, the phones are endlessly ringing.

Upper management: To put it nicely, incredibly disconnected. Like I said before the expectations continue to grow for all staff to ridiculous levels. And when your doing it all you are expected to meet all expectations. Sales,
  more... revenue growth, fleet growth, reports, and customer service. Although the expectations continue to grow, they also continue to change since there is little to no real direction. One minute its the highest dollar wins, the next is lets keep doing what lost us loads of money last year!

Coworkers/ Staff: Out side of being beyond stressed as well, they are great! We feel like we have been dragged thru the mud together and are thankful one another even showed up fro more abuse. Hense why we are so short staffed, people are dying to get out.

In closing, Hertz is currently in a deep hole that seems to have no end. They are a long way from being the competitor they used to be. Last CEO was a joke, and this one is proving to be laughable as well! The company culture is terrible, and the employee morale is non existent. I have no time to do anything, and my pay has taken a hit over and over again. The income (including the car and the bonuses we stopped getting over a year ago) is no longer out weighing the stress by a long shot!!
Pros
None at this point
Cons
No breaks, long hours, scamming company, broken promises, high stress, missing income, and extreme staffing issues
valuable experience
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Every morning I would check the vehicles for any holds (maintenance, sales, recalls, registration, and special reservations) in the system. Then physically check the vehicles for any damages and arrange the parking lot accordingly. Afterwards, open the branch, open the phone lines, and print branch reports (overdue contracts, insurance contracts, branch finances).
On down time, we worked on the reports by calling the customer, insurance companies or body shops to either up-date the rental contracts or collect payments. Such calls allowed me to learn how to problem solve in an effective manner. By asking the appropriate questions, knowing who to talk to, and following up with the corresponding individuals.
The other major aspect of the job that I truly enjoyed and learned was the logistics of the vehicles. Understanding the relationships between nearby branches (networking), the process of acquiring vehicles from airport locations (paper work), locating such specific vehicles (the system) and the maintenance protocols.
Another daily task was providing pick-up and drop-off services as needed. Then twice a week, I would go out as a lead sales to local body shops, insurance agents, car dealerships, service shops and hotels. Usually to make initial contact, letting them know Hertz was nearby ready to provide our services to them and their customers.
Management of the team came second nature. I would rotate my co-workers including myself on the daily tasks. For example, the car prepping was done by everyone, on average two cars per team member. Then, the pick-up and drop-off was also
  more... shared. Personally I would try to mentor my co-workers on how to sale the services by practicing the "sales dialog" every morning before opening the branch. Another example would be walking them through a few branch report calls, making sure they were asking the correct questions and up-dating the information on the system.
On the other hand, the management of the branch was more difficult for me. It was a lot of information to memorize, all these different individuals to email and call. The volume of paper work the branch produced and trying to keep up with different accounts became overwhelming at one point. Thanks to the branch manager, I was able to overcome such chaos by following a few tips he recommended and asking for help when needed. Overall, the job was a much valued experience.
Pros
got to drive new and exotic vehicles
Cons
pay and the hours
Very fast pace environment requiring excellent multi-tasking ability
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJanuary 22, 2014
The main reason that attracted me to the job was the typical day of work, and that was the fact that no two days would be exactly alike and every day would present new challenges that must be overcome. I learned many things, such as; the importance of being self-reliant and producing results, how to manage any and every customer service error even when it is out of your direct control, importance of managing my work/life balance even when working roughly 50 hours a week and some weekends, how to grow relationships within the company and many more. Management directly about you are in general good people who are unfortunately overworked and underpaid. Responsibilities have done nothing but increase in the last eight years but pay from Management Trainee to Branch Manager has not been increased once. In fact the requirements for acquiring a bonus did nothing but increase during my time there. Your co-workers are what keep you going - you become close with them as you spend about 10-11 hours with them a day and deal with many stressful situations. It is imperative that you establish a relationship with them and come together as a team to provide the very best service for all of your customers. The hardest parts of the job are:
Managing the fleet: Making sure you have the right size car at the right place at the right time and able to rent (There are often shortages in area that you can do nothing about).
Making the customer happy: making sure the car is fueled, clean (regardless of weather outside and how nasty the interior is), and runs to their satisfaction as well has has interior
  more... attributes that are to their satisfaction
Dealing with the constant pressures from upper management: While worrying about the first two, sales are pushed insanely hard as well as revenue growth and marketing.

Most enjoyable part of the job was being taken in as an amateur by management, really looked out for and trained well, and seeing my performance increase and get promotions or recognition because of it
Pros
time off, inter-office relationships, customer relationships
Cons
long hours and weeks, communication in area not professional, a lot of problem solving and customer service related issues
Too much hard work for a low wage
Management Trainee/Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  NJDecember 18, 2014
This corporation is very hard to work for, they consistently shoot themselves in the leg by making up lies that we have all these cars when we're always scrambling for cars. So be prepared to deal with customers who are typically in a bad mood when they show up and there's no car available for them. This job requires a ton of hours, but you may have some downtime to sit down and apply for other jobs like myself. The area manager has been next to useless and has watched me struggle firsthand with the computer system and practically refuses to help me. His "I don't care attitude" is horrible, and hurts my branch managers location. The conditions are just not worth the low pay, if you have allergies like myself you should avoid this place. I constantly have been getting sinus infections and have also been getting sick as well, this place doesn't care about their employees. They push you to sell gas, better models, and insurance. Here's what they don't tell you: there's no time to fill cars up, so the gas levels are usually extremely low; the better/higher end models are usually never on the lot because you will be always scrambling for vehicles. And also the insurance part of selling is nearly impossible because most of the customers are mad when they come in because you're making them wait. Everything is last minute here, which is so unprofessional but they obviously do not care enough to fix up this company. The car fleet is always at a minimal level, I usually have to turn down a ton of business per day. Fortunately I'm quitting this job very soon, because I want my life back.  more... I don't have any energy for life itself, I used to be in better shape. Now I'm just run down in my early 20's in nearly 3 months of working here. Oddly enough this corporation is promoting a weightloss program, but who has the time when your day is 10.5 hours on average. Avoid this place unless you have low standards, then this is for you. My manager is great guy too so I feel bad for quitting but at the same time I need my life back.  less
Pros
my branch manager, health benefits
Cons
hours, working conditions, cleaning disgusting vehicles all the time, unreal expectations of selling, depleted fleet, bad area management, lack of proper staffing.
Productive and Challenging Work Environment
A/P Data Entry, Processor, Resolution Agent (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OklahomaJuly 27, 2015
The daily tasks assigned at first, after transferring from the customer service department, was to check batches of keyed in invoices entered into the system by another Data Entry Clerk to catch any errors in need of correction, before being officially entered into the system by upper management for vendors and account holders to receive their due payments.

I then learned the abilities and responsibilities for being a processor of invoices for several different companies and the company's rental location's, as well as becoming a resolution agent for any accounts in need of attention regarding overdue payments from the AP department; all while properly coding, discounting, and gaining the correct managerial approval for the payment amounts requested.

My co-workers and I worked very well together, and had the feeling of more of a family type atmosphere. Always willing to help one another with a task if need be, allowing the accounts payable department, as well as the company as a whole to continue to be successful, and customer focused.

The hardest part of the job was working in customer service, because it was the post-rental department; which meant handling any issues, complaints, or dissatisfactions the renters may have had with their rental experience. Of course, none of the complaints were towards me personally, but being a representative of the company they spoke to, I had to keep in mind and remind myself not to take their anger or harsh critiques to heart.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to give a positive resolution and solution to the
  more... customer's issues, wants, or needs; ending the conversation on a positive note, causing the company return revenue. Also, while working in the Accounts Payable Department, I thoroughly enjoyed learning the different systems, and stepping out of the years of norm, allowing myself to grow in the many abilities I posses; and to be challenged with the multi-tasking assignments that came with the position. I found it easy to adapt to my surroundings, and the responsibilities management felt confidence in my ability to execute successfully.  less
Hertz Review
Senior Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver ColoradoJanuary 27, 2014
When I walk into work I pick up our daily information packet that includes shifts of other managers, employee schedule, a break down of when customers are arriving by the hour, any informaiton on our Special Reservation List and our sales status sheet. I review this information and then walk to each department to see how everyone is doing.

I learned how to run our payroll system which included FMLA, sick time, vacation time and holiday pay. I was the interim Frontline Sales Manager and calculated bonuses for some of our staff. I learned that communication is incredibly hard and often times you need the person who you are explaining a new procedure to, to explain it back to you to make sure he or she understands it. I've learned more than this but that is a short set of examples.

We have manager meetings twice a day; once at 7:30am and one at 4:00pm to get ready for the day and to debrief information for the evening. Managers from every part of the facility get together for these meetings including Operations, Customer Service, Distribution and Maintenance.

We have a very high standard of performance at the location I work at because the President of U.S. Hertz came from our locaiton and several VPs. As long as co-workers are performing well and communicating their concerns then all works out well.

The hardest part of the job is making time for issues that don't seem to be as important, such as online classes that Hertz requires us. I much rather coach our employees, work on a Six Sigma Projects and improve our Lighthouse score (Lighthouse is Hertz's version of Standard Work
  more... qualifications).

The most enjoyable part of working for Hertz is coaching up employees so they reach their goal and get a bonus. Our agents that rent cars are the heart of the organization and I understand that if they do well then I will do well. Supporting our staff by presenting our products as best as possible and attaining the goals that Upper Managemtn give us is gratifying. Finishing a Six Sigma Project is also very enjoyable because its nice that measure ones hard work and see improvements made because of your actions.
Pros
free car and unlimited gas
Cons
long hours-11=15
Work all day and night for poor pay
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  ViginiaJanuary 5, 2012
This is a tough place to work. You will have no life balance with this job. The pay is also below average compared to jobs you could get elsewhere. It's also a very negative culture. Generally people don't want to work here that do. Most people that do work here want to get a promotion or two and get out of there. I strongly recommend passing on any opportunity to work for Hertz. You may like it for a bit, but eventually the negativity will drive you to want out. If you are fresh out of school it's not a bad way to get experience, but as i can attest that experience doesn't help you stand out in the world. You will learn a lot, but the training is poor to say the least. Most of the time your just expected to figure things out yourself and hope they are right. The company has no direction and expects its employees to shoot aimlessly in the dark to try to grow a business. If you get lucky you may end up in an area where Hertz has a foothold and is growing as Enterprise is flailing. Most areas that is not the case and you will be in for a rude awakening when your forced to visit Enterprise clients to try to convert them to Hertz. It's a demanding job and the pay is poor to say the least. If you do decided to take on a job i would recommend being cautious about taking on a branch management position. Assistants often make more with less stress to deliver results. Also, if you accept a branch manager position in a small area where they say that you have "lots of opportunity," that just means Hertz is getting killed and Enterprise has complete control. So if you can land anything  more... which is harder than you'd think, you'd be able to keep the brass off your back for a few months. There is also no staffing. They expect every branch to improve year over year 30% with the same expenses as the year before and with no extra staffing. This makes it difficult for people to take vacations and it also makes it difficult to move vehicles around.  less
Pros
company car for mgt, good vacation time for new hires
Cons
long hours, no lunch breaks if you branch manager, tough to get vacation approved, no staffing
Busy and fast paced work environment that placed and emphasis on customer interaction and mulittasking.
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJune 27, 2014
A typical day at work began at 7:30 and ended around 6:30. Upon entering the branch we would print and post sales numbers as they stood that morning, check our daily manifests and cross reference them with our available fleet. Then simultaneously we would send cars to offsite locations that needed them, tend to customers entering our branch, and call our reservations for customers who were renting due to an insurance claim. We would also handle fleet maintenance as it arose by obtaining purchase orders from corporate so our accounts could fix our cars. At the end of the day we would close the branch, print and file daily business reports, log sales, enter inventory, and send copies to corporate for filing.

What I learned most from this job was that no two customers are the same. Everyone has different requirements and needs to be approached with a blank slate in order to discover how best to fulfill those requirements.

Management at the branch level was superb but I honestly felt that the the higher up the chain you went the more detached and uninvolved the management became. Many empty promises and false messages came from the upper levels of management which really hindered our daily operations.

Co-workers were typically of the highest calibre. Motivation, determination and moral were all typically very high. I believe this was mostly due to our local branch manager.

The hardest part of the job was providing enough cars to meet the demand. Hertz has marketed themselves very well but they have created a demand which they are seemingly not purchasing enough inventory to
  more... supply for.

The most enjoyable part of the job was honestly the fast pace of the day. You were never standing still and yet at the end of a day that could last 10hrs it would often feel like the day had just begun not very long ago.
Pros
meeting new people, fast paced days, hour lunches.
Cons
long hours, not much time left for personal life, limited supply to meet large demand.
This was perhaps my all time best job.
Station Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 17, 2014
I hired in at the Hertz office at the DFW airport as a Bus Driver. After only a few months, I was asked by my Manager if I would be interested in a management position. I was, and almost immediately interviewed for Her job. I had no idea that she was transferring, and the job that I was applying for was hers. But I was Promoted, and as such given the many challenging tasks of Bus Manager.
On a daily basis I supervised as many as 12 drivers on a shift, with a full roster of 30 drivers, 2 attendants (The guys that cleaned the busses) and 3 Bus Mechanics. Everyday, I spoke with the Lead Mechanic to get the Status of all 18 busses in the Fleet. This information was placed into a report that I forwarded to the City Manager, my direct Supervisor.
Then I monitored the Drivers via Radio, and other methods such as riding the busses. I consulted the Rental/Reservations people to get an idea of how the traffic demands for the day would dictate my Driver's Route assignments.
Often I gave Special treatment to Customers with Special needs or circumstances. By doing this, I vastly helped the Public Relations of the Company. I also met many wonderful people and was able to give them some extra benefits not supplied by our Competition.
I was also in charge of time cards/payroll, schedules and training for drivers,and supervision of day to day operations of the Bus System and it's operatives. I interviewed would-be new hires, hired/fired Drivers and set new Standards for what a Driver for Hertz Rent-A-Car was.
I had a great benefits package, that included a new car to drive, everyday. I had many
  more... great benefits that were until that time, unknown to me.
I met many Celebrities for example, and got to visit "One on One" with several Famous people, while insuring their experience in Dallas, Texas and Hertz Rent-A-Car in particular was a Positive one.
Pros
great working conditions, and wonderful people and co-workers.
Cons
the company lets the upper managers have free reign.
Do your homework before you start here.
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  TexasFebruary 7, 2014
I'm pretty skeptical of reviews from former employees and tend to think that their experiences won't happen to me. However, I find that negative reviews of Hertz are pretty accurate.

Turnover seems to be very high throughout the company and it seems to take a long time for them to fill vacant positions. Training seems to be very hit and miss. No one in the office I worked in actually understood the compensation plan or knew the standards we were being held to. It isn't that I didn't try to find out either. There was no available supervisor to explain it and no easy accessible resources to look at as a guide.

Getting reimbursed for expenses was almost impossible. The company frequently turns off manager's ability to use their purchase cards near the end of the month. This makes it impossible to get maintenance done on cars or even buy toilet paper for the office. They do it under the pretense of making their P&L look better for shareholders but it ends up reducing income by limiting the fleet size. I really wonder if there is a cash flow issue they are trying to deal with. End result, never take a dime out of your pocket expecting to get paid back. One coworker had spent over 6 months trying to get reimbursed for travel expenses.

I worked in a lower income area and customers were a real nightmare at times. They would smoke in cars and be borderline violent when they got charged a cleaning fee. They barely had enough money to cover the rental but we were encouraged into beating them down to buy overpriced and in some cases unnecessary insurance. It could be rather negative
  more... at times. I think an airport location may be better. People that can afford to travel are probably better to deal with.

Bottom line, it really is an awful place to work. The over the top negative reviews aren't an exaggeration..
Pros
little supervision (if that is a pro to you)
Cons
lack of organization and clueless management.
• Overall 16+ years of experience in Oracle, PL/SQL, UNIX, Windows skill set. • 7+ years of experience as Oracle DBA in Development, Test and Producti
Sr Oracle DBA (Current Employee) –  Tulsa OKJanuary 22, 2013
 Creating database schemas & objects for each release in development & QC environments.
 Coordinating with application teams and System Administrators when applying OS patches.
 Monitoring databases health using OEM and by scheduling shell scripts through cron jobs.
 Create / Manage Tablespaces, Schemas, Database triggers and Stored Procedures.
 Implementing the Primary & Foreign Key Constraints for the objects in the Schema.
 Managing data security and user access.
 Performed /debugging SQL tuning which involved use of indexes, hints, proper indexes, rewriting SQL to minimize I/O, changing order of joins in SQL queries, procedure/package
 Performance Tuning of SQL statements and Database using tools like AWR report, Explain plan, TKPROF.
 Creation / Rebuild indexes and analyzing tables and design the queries to improve the query performance.
 Resolving table Locks and session issues.
 Performed Unix server monitoring which included regular checking of: cpu load (use of uptime, sar –u, top), paging, Swapping, thrashing, processes inactive for long time, processes with high cpu time, network traffic (use of netstat for % of collision) and space issues.
 Use of Import-Export utilities and SQL * LOADER, Data Migration.
 Applying application schema changes in Production, Development, Performance and QC environments.
 Refreshing Development, Performance and QC environments as per application team requirement.
 Security management using privileges and roles.
 Guide Application development team for writing effective queries in applications & Creation of Shell Scripts.
  more...
 Writing new shell scripts and modifying existing shell scripts.
 Participate in release activities right from the initial plan reviews till the implementation.
Pros
contract
A little piece of Cassandra's troubleshooting skills
Roadside Assistance Agent (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 17, 2014
A typical day at work for me is to clock in,clock into the phones and help customers that have become stranded in our vehicles. The hardest part of the day is that they call very irate that they have spent a lot of money on the car and now there is something wrong with it. I enjoy the irate people because I explain to them wherever there is a problem there is a solution. So the first thing I would do is brainstorm, "how do I get these people back on the road in a timely manner and not ruin their vacation anymore than it has been. The best part of the day is that we have Hertz locations everywhere, and it only took a phone call to have a to service there to change a tire, or give a jump start. Or a locksmith to open the vehicle, or also Hertz employees to drop off another vehicle. I also had the power to compensate part or all of the rental depending on the experience they had. Anything to keep the customer from going to the competition. Management was always there to back you up if there was something that just couldn't be done right then and there. i.e. the time of day, or where they were located. I did everything in my power to take my cases on personally and to turn my irate customers into smiley faces at the end of the call.Another hard part of the job was to educate the client on Hertz policies and procedures when the insurance was not bought. So setting those expectations were a little tricky, but I always wanted them to be advised so there were no surprises when the vehicle was returned. Clients appreciate that. I would love to share my experience and help a company grow  more... with my foot in the door and my chance to show my skills you will see the changes as we grow together.  less
Pros
management was always on your side. and the tools we needed to find customers was always there.
Cons
there were 3 company layoffs while i worked there
Quite possibly the worse job I’ve ever had.
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 10, 2013
The person who hired me on at hertz lied to me a lot. Just like they did everyone else hired here in the springs. I was told I’d have a promotion and raise within 3 months, told I’d be trained on back office procedures. I have a decent college degree and they promoted people with no education over me and several other who hold advanced degrees. Four months into my employment with this company I had yet to be trained on back office procedures, I was sitting in an office across town from where they told me I would be working, by myself managing a hertz for the same pay. I took it upon myself to get there well before opening so I’d have inventory to rent – 10 hour days became a norm and often they’d stretch into 11 and 12 hrs.
They knew all this, they knew about my multitudes of customer accolades, they knew I wanted to move up. They told me at first all I needed to do was complete training classes online. Then I needed to have a certain level of sales success. Then it was I should have also went out to promote hertz more by then they’d put someone with no education through a program I wasn’t offered and promoted them first. Then they said it was my fault I should have tried harder-tried to promote hertz more – something I wasn’t even trained to do months and months into being with the company.
Just stay far away from this company and if you have to work for them GET IT ALL IN WRITING - my father told me that and boy I wish I’d listened.
The whole place is run shoddily, lacking integrity; seriously an enormous disappointment and waste of my time.
Pros
drive new cars, a paycheck
Cons
few brakes, what promotion? what raise? very long hours, undefined promotion process, hertz management training is that in name only, smokers smokers everywhere, wash & vacuum cars in business casual attire
Call Center
Sales Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  OKCFebruary 25, 2012
In working as a At Home Reservation Agent for the past year, I’ve discovered the “General Public” is extremely rude. Your calls come in, one behind another, behind another, people will either scream at you because the rate is to high, cuss you like a dog or when you quote the rate, they hang up on you.
As a Reservation Agent, the Management Team does NOT tell you when you exit out of training, there are quotas to fill. You MUST meet the Minimum Deliverable Sales Ratio which varies from day to day, depending on what others on your team are writing. There are Neverlost (GPS) Sales Quotas to make, that varies too. And then there’s your AHT, Average Handling Time, it was told to me by a former Team Performance Leader that you are to be on the phone with a customer, reservation booked and off the phone in three to three and a half minutes. With the “information” (they call it “Educating Your Customer), you are supposed to provide your customers, that is sometimes impossible. When customers’ call in and don’t make a reservation, or hang up on you, the call goes against your numbers, your Sales Ratio numbers. For EVERY call, you are held accountable for it.
You speak with your Team Performance Leader once every other week, and they critique your calls, tell you what you did right but mostly, tell you what you did wrong. Then you have your “Mentor” you speak with every other week as well. The Mentor also listens to your calls and provides you feedback.
If I had known this before hand, I don’t think I would have accepted the job. With today’s economy, my hands are tied for the moment.
  more... It is a very high stressed, high pressured and mentally challenging job.
I wouldn’t recommend working for Hertz as a Reservation Agent to my worst enemy!
Pros
working from home
Cons
high pressured, high stressed job

Comment – July 31, 2012

Be glad you are only on the phones..Try working on thefrontlines as a location manager at a large APO location..HA

Extremely fast paced and often stressful work place
Manager Trainee (Current Employee) –  Lynn, MAAugust 10, 2012
A typical day at work can consist of processing anywhere from 3 rentals to 20 rentals. This includes the return process, preparing the vehicle for rental, and the rental process including retail and insurance replacement rentals. In addition, daily sales goals have to be met and sales calls must be completed. On a daily basis we are also required to maintain strong professional relationships with our clients (body shops, insurance companies etc.) as well as customers. At Hertz I learned sales from a customer service perspective. I also learned alot about how to run the business, as many of our daily duties include processing back office reports, reviewing them, handling cash, and reviewing operating statements. It also included outside sales, and action plans to improve the business. The management allowed a learning experience. We are often required to travel from branch to branch and work under different management as well as manage our own branches and others for short periods of time. Each manager handles things differently in their branch, which allows employees to learn different techniques. Managers and co-workers are very supportive. I believe the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was the clients and customers. While both clients and customers alike can be very difficult and sometimes impossible, it can often be a rewarding experience to communicate with them whether they are happy or upset.
Pros
friendly environment, fast paced, guarenteed overtime and the chance for advancement.
Cons
extremely stressful but managable at times, very difficult customers and poor benefits.
My experience in my 27 yrs. of the Rent A Car industry.
Bus Fleet Mgr for the MIA APO location (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 12, 2013
Rent A Car management at Airport locations is very high energy, stressfull at times and demanding. As a Manager you are expected to be able to oversee any dept. when needed. But the most important
task is to make sure your customers are happy when they leave the lot.

I was trained over the years with different sales techinques as well as
management training. I even completed the Six Sigma program that Hertz offered us. It was very insightful.

I have been a manager for over 27 years. I ran every dept. that Rent A Car has in the field with excellent performance. My forte is Sales management, training and coaching.

My coworkers I have had the pleasure to work with will say I am always available to help others. I work well with everyone and I am always fair. I love to train new employees because I want the company to profit from well trained agents.

There were many days where we were short on cars and the customers would have to wait sometimes hours for thier rental.
I felt so bad for them because we were taking time away from thier vacation. My GM always put me on the frontline to explain the circumstances to the customers in line because I have excellent customer service skills. But it was difficult.

My most enjoyable part of the job is went we succeed in hitting our sales goals or ace our corp. audit. I also have had the pleasure in meeting great people, employees as well as customers.
Pros
company car with gas and insurance. excellent bonus structure and excellent health benefits.
Cons
the rac business can be very stressful at times due to the fleet demands.
Keep moving
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 2, 2013
Hertz once was an amazing company with good benefits. The Hertz name was synonymous with the highest level of service and the staff was rewarded for providing that level of service. This is no longer the case. A typical day at work includes being asked to do way too much with way too little. The company always on spending/hiring freezes so tools needed to job are often put on hold and staff asked to make do with "work arounds." After many years of hoping and waiting for things to get better they never did. More and more cut backs took away more and more of the benefits and even the basics. Ever try renting a car with no cars? The fleet is run so tight customers are kept waiting or cars are rented without being cleaned because as soon as one comes in there is another customer waiting to rent. When there are customer complaints it comes back on the local management and it is the local management that gets thrown under the bus not the guys at the top making all these cutbacks so Hertz can acquire other companies. There is lots of talk from upper management and so much money put into acquisitions and new programs but leaves workers on the front line floundering. They expect complete loyalty from the employees but show no loyalty in return. It is all about the almighty dollar. Check out how much the CEO makes. It does not trickle down to the branches or the front line staff. In fact, front line staff is underappreciated and underpaid. Perhaps this is the reason Hertz keeps ending up on the worst places to work lists. Google it. Last year #4 on that list. If you have a degree, keeping  more... moving. You can do so much better.  less
Not a good place to work
Manager Trainee (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJanuary 29, 2013
If you enjoy demanding jobs that overwork you and set nearly impossible goals for you to reach, then I take that back it's a great place for you to work... but not me.

For the sheer amount of work that I am expected to do, I should be making no less than 20 dollars an hour.

cut that in half and that's what I'm making though.

I don't think anyone should work for this company, it's not a good company to work for. Typically you start the day off trying to plan for customer arrivals and which vehicle to put them in, you'll need to know how to operate two very outdated systems (in terms of technology) which are extremely difficult to learn, then there is the online systems. You will have to log just about every other foot step you take and file it correctly, call customers and clients, go on sales calls, deliver vehicles, and everything with this company is pretty last minute so you'll have to do this all on a whim and be responsible for anything that goes wrong. Do not expect more than a days notice for anything or you will only be dissapointed.

I've learned how to operate the systems here at hertz and that only I do not want to dive any deeper in this organization.

the management is mainly consistant of people who stuck it out with hertz over the past few years and fresh college grads, who usually quit within the first year.

co-workers are a coin toss on whether or not you want to have any interaction with them.

the whole job is stressful, and the only part of the job I enjoy is clocking out to go home. I really suggest that no one bother with this company unless they are
  more... your ONLY option.  less
Pros
driving
Cons
everything else
High energy, busy environment, providing support for a Sales team that managed Fortune 500 accounts in the Bay Area
Senior Accounts Service Representative (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAMay 29, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job was the variety of work on a day-to-day basis. I did all things necessary to support Fortune 500 accounts that were assigned to me. Contract maintenance, reports, rate loads, customer service provided a very busy and enjoyable workload. A typical day at work involved all of the above for sure! I loved my co-workers. We were an awesome, very productive team and worked very well together GLOBALLY. I was on the West Coast (California) and most of my team was in Park Ridge, NJ. Thus I was able to work independently as needed. Unfortunately due to a company headquarters move to Florida, my team was broken up. I loved the challenge of working with the high level global accounts and their executive management teams on a daily basis. The scope and variety of my work has provided me with excellent skills. Twenty years of experience handling high-level accounts has trained me to think on my feet, given me the ability to multi-task, to switch gears as needed; I am able to prioritize well, see clearly towards a solution quickly! Account managers highly appreciated my work ethics, my responsible nature and can-do responses; mostly, they appreciated my thoroughness and my tenacity to complete projects when due! I can provide excellent character and professional references as needed. I will be an excellent asset to your company!
Pros
Excellent medical benefits, 401K, Pension plan
Cons
Company headquarters move to Florida
Terrible Upper Management
management trainee (Former Employee) –  myrtle beach,scJuly 24, 2012
Worked there just over a year as a Manager Trainee where it is very difficult without fudging your numbers to meet sales goals, selling insurance to people who already have full coverage, which you must do to keep your job. If you do not meet sales numbers 4 consecutive months at any time you're gone, no matter what your overall numbers are and how long you've been with the company. Myself and another Manager Trainee worked a location by ourselves with no branch manager or any other upper management for 3-4 months after they fired our branch manager and never formally told either of us of the situation. Basically got the news through the grape vine. No consideration was taken for either of us for keeping the branch running when they changed they changed their corporate policy during our 9th month of employment. Which was based on how you must meet sales goals 3 consecutive months in two types of rental situations (retail/replacement) leading up to taking your oral exam, which is a test you must pass to earn a dollar more,yay, and become "associate manager," to stay with the company. for however long you hold the position until they decide to promote you and not bring somebody else in to fill the available promotion. Overall, low pay for what you are responsible of, low incentive pay for what they hold you accountable of with meeting your sales numbers, have to pull teeth to get cars for customers, upper management is horrible and does a pretty poor job of communicating anything to their respected area.
Pros
management experience
Cons
u name it

Comment – July 27, 2012

I BUSTED MY BUTT FOR THEM FOREVER, DID EVERYTHING AND THAN GOT KICKED IN THE FACE. ALL LIES, THIS COMPANY IS ONE OF THOSE WHO WILL ALWAYS HAVE A REVOLVING DOOR AND WONT KEEP BUSINESS PROFESSIONALS DUE TO THEIR LACK OF TERRIBLE MANAGEMENT, FORMER EMPLOYEE. THEY SUCK!