The Hertz Corporation Employee Reviews

Found 2,193 reviews matching the search
Great learning experience, no job security!
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PANovember 11, 2016
I learned so much about the rental business, cars, management and overall how to run a business in my time at Hertz. You wear many hats and are required to meet sales quotas in order to advance. As long as your numbers are good, you can get promoted very quickly. I was promoted 4 times in just over a year. I also made great money throughout my time with the company. The down side is, no matter how great you are...to this corporation, everyone is replaceable. I was fired along with many GREAT managers and no one even blinked an eye. They truly see you as just a number. It's a great starting point, but DO NOT make a career plan out of Hertz!!
Pros
Great compensation, can be fun depending on co workers, potential for quick advancement
Cons
terrible upper management, they don't care about you as a person, high turnover
No job security
Location Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 31, 2016
It's a cut-throat business unless you're in with the right crowd. Company was on a hiring freeze when I was still working for them as a Location Manager. Typically it would be a descent company to advance with, but the new CEO made a lot of cuts due to the previous CEO's investigation for "cooking the books."
Pros
Not HR-hyper, you can have a little fun, descent pay with car perks, hospitality passes, can advance quickly when not on a hiring freeze
Cons
low job security, staffing issues, worked into the ground, long hours, putting up with crazy customers all day everyday
Tough Environment for Creative Thinkers
Manager (Former Employee) –  Estero, FLOctober 19, 2016
Not an environment for creative, open thought. Expectations are that one will "toe the Company line" and not think outside the box, even though the company needs a major shift in thinking and management in order to move forward. Interviewees are told they will be given authority to do their jobs, but reality sets in once they are hired, and they are actually just worker bees. Management does not communicate well with people doing the work, and whiners get all the attention of higher ups. There is a strong lack of appreciation for hard work, and no reward for those who make the company run.
Pros
On-site gym; on-site childcare; parking garage; on-site cafe
Cons
Work/Life balance; Low appreciation for effort; No Culture
Toxic environment in car sales division
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYAugust 24, 2016
The sky is the limit when it comes to money you can make because most of your income comes from commission. You get a small salary and the rest is up to you in sales commissions. Benefits are excellent compared to others but you do have to pay into it as well. The management is most of the problem because they will lie and manipulate situations to get you to sell more cars. Some co-workers...not all... will steal and lie to get a car deal in there pocket and don't expect much help from upper management or your HR department. In the winter you will be expected to clean, dig or push snowbound cars out of snow because management will not hire anyone to do this work. Hours are typical but not as bad as regular car dealerships in which you will have to work most holidays, some nights and Saturdays are mandatory. I can go on and on with negative feedback but you get the point. The only thing I enjoyed was the money I made but the environment was very toxic in nature so if your ok with that then this is the career for you.
Pros
Money and benefits
Cons
Toxic environment, Saturdays and most holidays you will work
Vechicle Service Attendent
Vechicle Service Attendent (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 22, 2016
It's not a bad Job but it's not the best job either, it's just the working long hours you have to get used to, just have to learn to get used to being there for 12 hour days, there's good and bads of working there, like getting payed weekly, could never say i didnt have a dollar in my pocket, the bad is that you're practically killing yourself to get a descent check every week, you'll see that without at least 10 hours on your check it's not descent at all unless you've been there for long years like some employees have.

Management doesnt really appreciate the har work you'll do other ares of the location will have food or something but as a VSA you'll just get the manager walking around with the clipboard telling you your schedule for tomorrow.
Pros
weekly pay, amazing benefits
Cons
weather/Labor doesn't match pay starting off at 10.05 would be better.
Mismanaged and incredibly poor morale
Hertz General Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 28, 2016
Layoffs for upper/Senior Management and middle manager, salary freeze, long hours with no appreciation, unrealistic goals, poor communication and simply no long term vision.

I was a decade long employee that received numerous promotions in multiple regions. I personally knew Senior Management. The company has been run poorly which cost everyone their jobs, from the CEO down. The competition from Uber and Lyft are taking business and there is no plan to find the lost business.
Pros
Car benefit
Cons
Mismanaged, poor communication, unrealistic goals, poor salary and bonus structure, very poor morale
Typical work enviornment
Courtesy Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 28, 2016
I've worked at Hertz for 6 years. I am a Bus driver. co-workers are great. management is o.k.. but are always new to the company. I'm up to my 7th manager. with that said they have a Hugh revolving door. I believe the reason for this is there pay increases are very slow, it takes a worker to make $1.20...every 3 years. benefits are not that great. and most management does not have patients to deal with issues. buses always have check engine issues that they will not fix. I think the only enjoyable part of the job is working on your own, picking up and dropping off customers. I've learn how to ignore the negative and still find a way to still do my job even with all the faces I've seen come threw this place and there broken buses. but after these couple of years I feel I need to move on. this is why I am looking for a new job.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
pay increases are slow, benefits are not that good.
Hertz fires Area Manager for Act of Humanity
Management (Former Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 26, 2016
The Hertz Corporation recently fired an area manager in Denver for turning a blind eye to a homeless employee of his that was down on his luck and temporarily sleeping in the storage room of one of the offices that was under his charge. It is unfortunate that Hertz does not pay their employees a living wage and they actually have employees that have to live on the street! The area manager was terminated and his insurance AND his families insurance was cancelled without any warning. He was not paid is over due bonus that he earned with blood sweat and tears!
Pros
Car (whatever was left on the lot) and phone
Cons
Compensation, no autonomy, HR is more interested in firing than hiring
Hertz Car Sales
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYSeptember 8, 2016
Typical day is coming in and checking your email, any new leads and appointments for the day. Greet and gather info on customers needs. What I learned is that sales is a stressful cutthroat business I no longer want to be in. Management are terrible and create a hostile environment by pitting sales people against each in order to create more urgency for sales. Co-workers can be sneaky and manipulating and will lie if it comes down to getting your customers or another sale. There is the rare times you can get an honest good co-worker but its rare. Hardest part of the job is the stress, working nights weekends and holidays when your friends and family are off. Most enjoyable is income and benefits because it can be quite good at times.
Pros
Income and benefits
Cons
Nights, weekends and Holiday work conditions
Terrible Place to work
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Dearborn, MINovember 14, 2016
The pay is not good at all to many broken promises on pay raises etc. I been here 8 months and I have seen more people fired and it's scary the turn over rate is high I wouldn't advised anyone to work here. i'm on my way out not I look for new jobs everyday.
Pros
40% off rentals
Cons
The rates are sky high for rentals so you really don't see your discount and management is awful
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Plaquemine, LAOctober 28, 2016
Managers will build you up and pretend that you are valuable, and the next second fire you. Management will fire you based upon emotions and not work ethic. Do one little thing that is remotely intimidating and you will be out of a job. If you want to work for this company be sure to save every coin because before you know it you may be out of a job. My General and Area Managers used job security as a scare tactic to push you to build their revenue instead of training and motivating. One more thing, do not believe the hype about an open door policy because nothing is confidential!
Pros
Meeting and working with my lovely co-workers
Cons
Upper management
Complete Lack of Proper Management
Vehicle Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXOctober 16, 2016
During my time as a vehicle service attendant at Hertz, I was met with an overbearing workload on a daily basis. My hours were from 8am to 5pm, but I would frequently have to stay behind (often til close at 10-11pm) to help get cars cleaned as I had very little, if any, assistance in the washbay. The company washbay is little more than a run down shack and the equipment used to clean cars is sub-par at best.

Management does little more than what is necessary to keep their own jobs and will offer no assistance in any way, shape, or form to their employees unless it is something the company could risk getting sued over.

During the nearly two years that I worked here, I saw several other employees come and go due to difficulties with management and I eventually left for the same reason.

I DO NOT recommend anyone apply for a position with Hertz. You will be treated poorly and unfairly. So unless you enjoy being taken advantage of, I suggest you look elsewhere.
Pros
Good medical, dental, and vision benefits
Cons
Horrible management, employees are taken advantage of
Lead Customer Service Flex Representative (Current Employee) –  Alcoa, TNNovember 7, 2016
Great place to work but the management doesn't work very well. Alot of inconsistency among location and corporate. My coworkers are great people to work with
I w9rk the night shift and most of the time we barely have cars to cover our reservations on certain nights of the week. You get yelled at alot but you just have to realize that you cant help when you don't have cars just remember the customer is always right smile and go on. As long as we can work as a team then things always work out
Pros
benefits and vacation time
Cons
management
Not worth your time!
Location Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 24, 2016
I would recommend not to work for hertz. The pay isn't worth all the work that you have to put in. You also do not get any work life balance. They expect a lot out of you for little pay.
Pros
Company car as branch manager
Cons
No work life balance/little pay/unorganized higher management/ no job security
Decent Job that will keep you busy
Location Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 11, 2016
I have been working with Hertz for a few months and while I really do enjoy the job, it can get to be very stressful. As a manager, you are divided among five departments and they will all need your help at once, it seems. The expectations for locations managers is very high and they are seniority based not performance. If there is no one new under you, do not expect an easy schedule. Overall it is a good job, it's just very chaotic.
Pros
Great benefits, guaranteed off days
Cons
No break for managers, stressful, no work-life balance, seniority based
Custer Care Clerk
CUSTOMER CARE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 2, 2016
Never had enough staff to take overwhelming high call volume. Management never fully communicated new company policies in time to allow staff to acclimate to assist customer with newly imposed guidelines.
Pros
great benefits, overtime
Cons
no advancement, under-staffed
Great place for professional development
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 20, 2016
Long work days unless well managed by location manager. Learned the ins and outs for the operation of a global operation. Management as of 2016 is solid, moving in a great direction with customer and employee satisfaction at the forefront of their action plans. Hardest part of the job is washing cars in the heat; other than that only people who can handle customer service will be able to handle this job. Lots of intense situations can arise when dealing with customers and the cars they will be renting. Great benefits and mostly great people to work with!
Pros
Flex-Scheduling, Benefits, Upward Mobility
Cons
Needs to make better use of available technology.
Creative Thinkers Need Not Apply
Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 24, 2016
Top down managed company which of course means no autonomy. You are micro managed by people that do not have experience in the industry. The Comapny has a high probability of failure due to high debt levels, shrinking revenue and worst of all no identity/culture.
Cons
Compensation, lack of culture, not encouraged to speak up. The definition of insanity, the same thing every week. Not growing as a company.
Unorganized corporaton
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  MNJuly 7, 2016
This job sounded good on paper. 45 hours a week, overtime and benefits but after a few weeks of working here I realized the truth. I worked from 7am to 9pm everyday, top management doesn't know what is going on at the bottom. Customers are able to make reservations onine an hour before they come in. Website is flawed. Customers can make last minute reservation on cars that exist in the state but not at our location. We're also very under staffed. Theres a high over turn on employees. Branch manager just left for the day and leave us manager trainee to fend for ourselves when we are brand new to thw job. There are so many more issues this list would go on forever.
Pros
Overtime pay
Cons
Hours, management, website
Great pay
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 30, 2016
Hertz corp is a great Job the benefits and commission is a major plus the Only problem is management is not on the same page when it comes to a lot of things and its a lot of drama. You will get raises about once a year (maybe) but there is no room to grow with the company unless you have your degree.
Pros
Commission and pay
Cons
Unorganized and Stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Hertz Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.