The Hertz Corporation

1.3K reviews

The Hertz Corporation Employee Reviews

Busy and Stressful Enviornment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Napa, CAJune 22, 2015
Although this company is very busy, it is easy to advance and earn extra bonuses on top of your hourly pay rate. Depending on the location, you can work up to 50 hours a week.
Terrible for anyone with a family.
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee), Tullahoma, TNJune 22, 2015
Pros: Pay and Bonus. You have the potential to make really good money with this company.
Cons: No work - life balance
This job requires you to work tons of overtime. Which is great for your pay check but terrible for your family. There is a potential to make really good money with this company. However, most weeks you are required to work over 60 hours with no lunch or breaks. Even though they automatically take 30 minutes off each day for a lunch.
great place to work
Courtesy Bus Driver (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJune 20, 2015
Pros: great discount
Cons: short breaks
fun and easy job the customers are the best, I highly recommend working for this company. easy to move up the ladder to management, I pick up and drop customers off
Needs work!
First Notice of Loss Examiner (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJune 20, 2015
The facility itself is nice. The management (FNOL) either needs training, or a complete overhaul. The job isn't difficult, but can be mundane.
Decent Entry Level Position
Management Trainee (Current Employee), PittsburghJune 19, 2015
Pay really isn't worth what you the job deals with unless you are able to get overtime but even than it's not that great. Depending on the office the job can be fun.
Hertz
Assistant Location Manager (Current Employee), Mission Viejo and Rancho Santa MargaritaJune 18, 2015
Pros: Work Experience
Cons: Long hours
Sales and customer service are the two most important things at Hertz Local Edition. Of course, beyond these two things there are many other parts of the operation that are important (including accounting, writing and enforcing contracts, managing employees, and vehicle maintenance) and Hertz will teach you to do all of them. The hours that you will put in will range between 55 and 65 hours a week, but Hertz's fast pace environment will make the hours fly by.
No Job security
Manager Associate (Former Employee), UTAHJune 18, 2015
Pros: No lunch breaks, 50 hours per week.
Cons: Management, THIS IS A SALES JOB
With the new minimum sales requirement only expect to keep your job 7 months. 3 months of training period and 4 months of failing to reach unachievable sales goals then termination. Hired into the manager trainee off airport program worked a skeleton crew with no help from management. New CEO is the guy that implemented baggages fees for Frontier airlines years ago so Hertz is adopting nickel and dime fees. And a few years ago Hertz had some accounting errors losing around 53 million bucks, which then runs down to any additional profits at a branch level are absorbed to cover this loss. It hasn't been formally announced but the number lost is actually 153 million lost so Hertz is just going to keep squeezing employs to cover the loss for its share holders. Glad to be off the train. Hertz isn't the Golden child it used to be. DONT LET THEM FOUL YOU THIS IS A SALES JOB.
Fast paced, customer service, sales driven job.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Deer Park, NYJune 18, 2015
Pros: Meeting all different types of people.
At Hertz it is different everyday. You have to be really customer focused and sales driven. There are monthly quotes that must be met and you are required to network and do a certain number of sales calls every week in order to obtain more business. You interact with all different types of people as far as customers, insurance reps., body shop owners, hotels, colleges and car dealerships. You need to be quick on your feet, positive and have a strong ability to multi task.
Rental Car Sales to local bay area businesses
National Account Manager (Current Employee), South San Francisco, CAJune 17, 2015
Office or Home-office based sales position, selling corporate travel program for rental car needs to Bay Area corporations. Great work/life balance, learning and upward movement encouraged along with team environment.
Rollercoaster
Branch Manager Trainee (Current Employee), Wichita, KSJune 16, 2015
Pros: Benefits offered and enjoyable co-workers
Cons: Lacks communication and job security
At Hertz, I enjoy the people that I work with for the most part. I feel like our office lacks communication and if we improved on it, Hertz would be an easier place to work. I never know what to expect with each day, which can be both a blessing and a curse. I like being kept on my toes but it sometimes feels like things go catastrophically wrong, especially if we are running low on cars.
fast paced, customer service oriented, team building
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 16, 2015
Pros: Company vehicle
Coaching individual sales teams, making sure we have adequate coverage for each shift, along with vehicles. responding to a fast
paced environment.
being a better leader, and coach.
Co-workers are very helpful we are more of a family environment
Making sure of customer satisfaction when we don't have enough vehicles to cover reservations.
Seeing customers smile when we have taking good care of them
Look for better opportunities
MANAGER ASSOCIATE / MANAGEMENT TRAINEE (Former Employee), Roswell, GAJune 16, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: short breaks, long hours, little pay
Typical hours of 7am to 6-7 pm. If you enjoy cleaning/washing cars in a shirt and tie in the middle of the summer then this is the perfect job for you! Always short staffed, worst turnover I have ever seen in my life. Local branch management was some of the worst I have ever seen, upper management was reasonable.
Involves multitasking
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJune 16, 2015
Pros: hour lunch break
Cons: having to get vehicle detailed
A typical day at Hertz deals a lot with customer service, back office work, checking fleet (cars), and cleaning vehicle. I've learned so much from working at Hertz. I've learned the importance of staying calm and collected, and that the customer is always right. The management team at Hertz is great, at Hertz we make sure that all of the team members are on the same page at all time. Communication is the key! My co-workers are all different from one another, and we work well together. The hardest part of my job! The hardest part is making sure our fleet is correct at all times. The most enjoyable part is seeing a happy customer. I enjoy making customers happy.
Great Job
Reservation Agent (Current Employee), Mobile, ALJune 16, 2015
Hertz is a great company to be apart of. They offer great benefits, pay and schedules. At Hertz, they treat you as if you are apart of a growing family. I have worked at this corporation for 4 going on 5 years and would highly recommend anyone to join their team.
Extremely busy stressful environment
Branch Manager (Former Employee), Parker, CoJune 16, 2015
Pros: Company Vehicle with free gas
Cons: Rarely get breaks, not given tools to succeed, always short staffed
A typical work day involved doing anywhere from 10 to 35 rentals, answering 50 to 150 phone calls, cleaning 10 to 35 cars, managing employees at two separate branches, and picking up and dropping off customers.
Management: Upper management's will sacrifice employee morale for high profit.
Co-workers: Majority of co-workers get along great because they all realize they are in a constant struggle together.
The hardest part of the job was getting your branch to profit when corporate negotiated rates with insurance companies that were too low to allow your branch to profit.
The most enjoyable part of the jobs was getting to drive different vehicles.
Change is a four letter word at Hertz,
Branch Manager (Former Employee), Denver COJune 15, 2015
Pros: Some great people, Job can be fun
Cons: Insurance benefits, long hours, Upper management, inconsistent goals
Continuous - mico-management from Area or General Manager that come from other sectors of business, because they sometimes did not hire from within for uppermanagement.

Losing consistent Market share in Airport market and Off-airport market to Enterprise and in Management infinite wisdom raised rates to "compete" , because we have "nicer" cars.
Only thing that is keeping they afloat in certain areas is State Farm business in off-airport markets.
Now in some areas of the country Hertz off-airport is reducing hours at stores, while Enterprise is expanding hours on Saturday and Sundays.

Upper-management is trying to run Off-airport locations like they are airport locations,

Reservations , are not honored, because we were consistently told that we can make more money at airport locations , so SUVs and Vans were moved to airport locations, so anyone with these types of reservations in summer or busy weeks were called and in advance and were told reservation would not be honored.

We were never able to hire college students , because we could not or would not match the salaries that Enterprise offered, so we never were able to get good or great candidates to fill openings at locations. Hiring pool was very shallow.

Branch Managers are grossly underpaid in comparison to Enterprise Managers.

Change at Hertz will never happen because upper management moves at the speed of Hertz....
Challenging entry position
Manager Trainee (Current Employee), Brevard County FloridaJune 11, 2015
Pros: drive new, different vehicles
Cons: long hours
Every day is a new challenge, but can be rewarding when things come together. A typical day consists of helping customers with their needs, running a tight fleet, and working with team members to prepare for the next day. This best part of the job comes when you see results from the effort you put in.
Very Productive
Manager Trainee (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJune 11, 2015
Working at hertz is a great learning experience. You really get a lot of experience from dealing with costumers to cleaning cars. It's a lot of hard work and a great opportunity to take and stay busy. The employees are also cool people and nobody I met there was lazy so that's a big plus.
Counter Sales Representative
Counter Sales Representative (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 10, 2015
Pros: weekly paychecks, union job
Cons: horrible management, no morale, unethical, uneducated management
a horrible company to work for. no one knows what theyre doing. they don't care about their employees. I often wonder how they are still in business. upper management allows top sellers to operate unethically. upper management is extremely young. they have no life experience so don't know how to manage people. upper management forces middle managers to stalk to low performers and issue write-ups for absolutely petty reasons. do not apply for a job here. you will lose your mind.

commission / incentive used to be attainable but company is suffering so they're finding new ways not to pay employees.
Very long hours, but financial rewards and perks are worth it.
Branch Manager (Current Employee), Louisville, KYJune 9, 2015
You work very long, hard hours- but you advance very quickly and you make a good salary and you receive a company car, free fuel and insurance, and other perks. Overall a decent first job out of college.
Headquarters