The High Bar, a growing software company, with a focus of dramatically strengthening charter public school governance across the country, is looking for a Grails Developer, who is a self-starter and can work in a virtual office environment, for an initial contract timeframe of 3 months (40hours/week), with the potential for it to be extended.
This is a great opportunity to work in an education technology startup that has a proven product and revenue stream.
The successful candidate will be working under the direction of our Director of Engineering, developing solutions that meet our application needs as defined by the Product Management team. As issues and bugs arise you will also be tasked with sustaining existing code to ensure that problems are resolved in a timely manner for our customer base.
In your application please provide a list of tools, technologies, as well as information on your previous work and experience.
What you’ll be doing:
- Primary roll is developing with Grails, our web application.
- Working with a small development team in a virtual office environment.
- Integrating our application with 3rd party packages or APIs.
- Interpret use case scenarios to develop solutions that meet the requirements.
- Detailing and documenting the code.
- Identify issues that prevent successful builds.
- Sustaining code.
- Worked in an Agile development environment.
- Capable of interpreting use case scenarios and developing aligned functions.
- Experience of integrating with build environment such as Jenkins.
- Experienced developing JQuery based applications.
- Good Java programming ability.
- Experienced with Groovy dynamic language.
- Experienced with Grails web framework.
- Broad experience with Grails plug-ins and libraries including Spring.
- Worked with Tomcat and Apache web servers.
- MySQL database expertize.
- Ability to work and communicate in a virtual office environment.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills, clear bug/issue explanations and effective group communications.
- Used Mercurial for code and test repository.
- Linux administration exposure.
- Used Jira for issue and task tracking.
- Lean Start-Up experience.
More About Us:
- Four million children in the US attend a failing school.
- On average, an American student drops out of high school once every 26 seconds.
- Class of 2008 high school dropouts will cost the United States almost $319 billion in lost wages over their lifetimes.
- By 4th grade, African-American and Latino students are, on average, nearly three academic years behind their white peers
Our nation’s public school system is broken, and it is a moral and economic imperative to fix it. Fortunately, there is a growing group of social entrepreneurs dedicated to launching new innovative schools and services to address this urgent need. The High Bar is one such organization dedicated to tackling this problem.
The Solution: Set and Achieve a High Bar
The High Bar provides web-based, software tools and training to many of the foot soldiers in the battle to improve our nation’s public school system – the boards and CEOs of charter public schools. The core service of The High Bar is a unique web-based software platform that helps charter public school boards govern more efficiently and effectively, harnessing the power of dynamic volunteer boards and their CEOs to deliver outstanding public education.