The Hillman Group Employee Reviews

Field Service Rep. 16 years service
Field Service Merchandiser (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Health ins. company car, family friendly
Cons: To many bosses, only field reps are held responsible, PDA
Health Insurance great, after 3 years you receive a company car.Have to be able to organize your days and your store list.Need to imput your daily servicing into a PDA. (Babysitter). Company does not want to hear that there are any problems. Even when there are. No overtime aloud, without managers approval, which you are never going to get. Days can be long, but if your good at routing, some days can be 6 to 7 hours. Over all management: Once someone is put in a management position, it could take up to 10 years before management will step in and correct there mistake in promoting this person. When you are given a project, it depends on who is in charge of that project, as to your success. I have seen some projects that in the first month, over 10 changes have been made.
When it comes to Family, they are very family friendly. I have had some of my best managers at Hillman. When it comes to loyalty to there employees. as with all companies, they have none.
family owned business
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJune 16, 2015
hardware sales throughout south Carolina. Sold nuts, bolts, screws, signs, keys, etc to hardware stores, lumber yards and building supply chains. Traveled every day
Work/Life Balance needs improvment
Office (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHMay 18, 2015
Pros: Healthcare
Cons: Work/Life Balance
I've enjoyed working for Hillman, but the lean culture is wearing on me. Positives: the benefits are great and there is a strong volunteer culture.
All work, no play...
Order Processor (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHApril 30, 2015
Pros: Decent wages for order processing
Cons: Every person for themselves and talking to other co-worker could cost your job
The Hillman Group is an okay place to work, once you have made it pass your 90 day probation period. The work load is hard (at first) then you will get use to it. As a order processor, you have to stay at 100% performance in order to get your safety punches. Safety punches are an incentive that will give you a bonus on your check and a company paid lunch.
Anyway, management does not play. If you are not making your numbers, you will be out the door as soon as possible. In other words, make your numbers, do not talk to other co-workers, and listen to your music; if you can do that, then you can get by.
Challenging but yet rewarding experience.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Shafter, CAMarch 13, 2015
Management was great to work with and I had the opportunity to work with the company for a short period of time. If offered a position again I would work for them again.
great job
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: compay car, 401k tarvel
Cons: sales support seemed weak at times
good company.always looking for new ways to expand market share fair support staff.training was very poor,it was sink or swim.
Great place to work if you want to do the same job day in and day out never advancing in the company
Material handler (Current Employee), CincinnatiOctober 2, 2014
Pros: job stability, no lay offs, catered lunches, pay isn't bad
Cons: no advancement opportunities, if you don't like overtime, most management hasn't done your job before so don't know how to help
Opportunity for overtime is always there so no lack of work or hours. They cater lunches every few months. Most people care about the work they put forth and care for the customers. Have worked at Hillman for over 8 years and not once have they promoted a manager from an hourly employee position and doesn't seem to be changing. So if you like lots of hours, a company that does things on the surface to make it seem as if they care, and knowing the job you applied for is where you will be forever-this is the job for you.
Great company to work
Technician/Merchandiser (Former Employee), Ozone Park, NYSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: short breaks, barely any healthcare coverage, opportunity to grow limited
Worked various machinery
Inventory Management
Conducted company reports
Management of store's and personnel
Implemented Planograms
Merchandising
Fast paced, multi learning trade experience
Shipping (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHAugust 11, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: short breaks, harsh inside heat conditioning
A full cycle of production from one department to the next that finishes into shipping out to worldwide customers. Learned to drive a cherry picker machine and distinguish different types of metal used for home improvement projects. Management was strict and usually handled any problems very quickly. The hardest part of the job was uncontrolled climate it could easily reach over 100 degrees inside. The greatest part about the job was switching job position daily to kill a repetitive work routine.
exciting and fun place to work
ORDER PULLER (Former Employee), Shafter, CAJuly 23, 2014
Pros: free lunches and sometimes employee barbeque's
a typical morning was to clock in and start working right away, I learned many productive things such as assembling boxes and learned to be a team player. Unloading the heavy boxes unto the conveyor was one of the hardest part of my jobs but rewarding because it kept me busy throughout the day.
Enjoyable engaging with all types of people.
Outside Hardware Representative for SW Washington (Former Employee), Cinncinatti, OHJuly 7, 2014
Pros: all expenses paid.
Cons: occasional very long hours.
Self-driven and organized, scheduled position with sixty national account stores providing them with scheduled merchandising, new product sales and stocking. Company auto averaging 200 miles per day and 12-16 hours of work.
Good company to work for
Sales (Current Employee), Houston TxMay 14, 2014
Pros: company car
Cons: alot of hours in the field and the office
Most of the time Hillman is a great company with great benefits.
As large as the Company is they are very accurate with shipping.
Back office work(POG, Reports etc...) can be confusing sometimes.
A good job for the single man/woman.
Order Processor (Former Employee), Shafter, CAFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: occasional catered lunches/potlucks.
Cons: constantly being on the clock having a quota to meet.
If you don't have any kids, are single, aren't married, then this is the job for you. If you have a good amount of bills and/or more than one mouth to feed then I suggest you look elsewhere. The pay doesn't by any means fit the labor. You start off at 9.75/hr and then move up to an even 10/hr if you make it past the probationary 90 days. The job itself isn't very difficult and the people that work there are fun and energetic people to be around. However, advancement, or lack thereof, is a real issue. Overall I would give this job a A-.
Excellent management that cared about employees
Account Manager (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: helping the customers to succeed selling hillman products
Cons: extensive travel. i was away from my family 5 days a week.
My job was as an Account Manager. I interacted with retail accounts such as Cal Ranch Stores, True Value stores and Ace Hardware stores. I was responsible for all aspects of caring for the customer such as: ordering product, sale of new products, displays and promotions. There was extensive travel involved throughout eastern Idaho, western Wyoming and northern Utah. When I took the position the territory had never produced more than $267,000.00 per year in sales. I was made aware that if I was unable to succeed in raising sales in the area the company was going to split up the territory and merge sections into other existing territories. Through much hard work visiting my customers regularly, resolving issues and negative things that had occurred with previous representative of Hillman, acquiring new customers and retaining customers Hillman was in jeopardy of losing I built the territory into a successful area. In my three years with Hillman my sales in that territory were $902,000.00 the first year, $1.077 million the second year and $1.22 million the third year. I did not do this completely by myself. I had a great manager that helped me along the way.
something different
Puller and Shipping (Former Employee), The Colony, TXNovember 13, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short breaks
The best thing about this job is that there was a basketball court to play. co-workers are great. management just need more skills
Excellant small company to work for.
Accounts Receivable Rep (Former Employee), Tempe, AZOctober 16, 2013
Pros: very good small company to work for.
Cons: can't really say there were any.
I enjoyed my time working at The Hillman Group also. It was a smaller company and it had a very friendly work environment and the technology was very up to date.
Very stable company and has compensation/Benefits package. Lots of great people.
Technical Service Representative (Former Employee), 8990 South Kyrene Road, Tempe AZ 85284August 19, 2013
Pros: we get treats everynow and then especially on challenging days, we get to have potlucks within departments, & lots of friendly and upbeat and supportive co-workers
Cons: not much room for advancement.
Most days the Technical Support and Customer Service Depts. are always busy with multiple incoming & outgoing calls from both internal & external customers, dealing with very heavy call volume. I learned to listen well and deliver service to customers via telephone quickly and precisely with quality customer service. Learned how to deal with lots of different types of personalities and how to cope with really challenging customers. Most importantly, I learned to prioritize work and use time management wisely. The hardest part of the job is being in confinement in a cubicle, but due to heavy call volumes, time goes by quickly, anyway, so it's not that detrimental. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting together with your co-workers and sharing and learning techniques from each other how to deal with some challenging customers and at the same time deliver quality customer service.
okay to work for
packer (Current Employee), cincinnatiAugust 9, 2013
Pros: productivity bonus
Cons: managers have no good people skills
I pack my product in a timely manner. My percentage is above average.
Great enviroment
Store resets (Current Employee), up northAugust 7, 2013
I loved the people i worked with. The work was fun. I would go there and slowly start working. Then we would go to lunch and come back and finish up what we had for the day.
fair and productive workplace
order processor (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 5, 2013
extremely fast paste environment. good company, fair, good benefits.