The Hillman Group Employee Reviews in United States

Sweat Shop.
Order Processor (Current Employee) –  Shafter, CAApril 12, 2016
Be prepared to be constantly reminded with print out sheets of how fast you must pick. The pay doesn't compensate at all for the physical strain this job takes on ones body. Management lacks people skills. I have LITERALLY never worked for a company where I've seen so many people come and go.

No opportunities for growth within the company.
Pros
Leaving at the end of a shift.
Cons
Low Pay.
The management group is in disarray
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 7, 2016
The Management group have no idea what they are doing they are struggling to learn the business. The shop floor is full of temps and their turn over is more than 80%. Since there is no clear direction from upper management the work place is disorganized.
Pros
Employees are hard caring people
Cons
Long hours bad pay
bottom line company
Label Maker (Former Employee) –  East Moline, ILSeptember 26, 2015
I made label for hardware displays. The company was bought out and the new company closed it's doors. The new company did not care about it's employees
Very hostile workplace
Order Processor (Former Employee) –  Parma, OHSeptember 23, 2015
There is no order at this company. They pick and choose their favorites, meaning no two employees are treated the same. Employees use street language in the business and only a few a punished while everyone else continues the negative behavior.
N/a
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  OHIO CINN.August 28, 2015
The best company I ever worked for . Produce products for each lowes store five days a week. Produce all types of nuts and bolts in all silicon valley
The best company I've ever worked for, fair on every level.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 18, 2015
I loved working for this company and I loved my job. But, it just wasn't home for me. I had to live near where all of my accounts were and that was too far from home (Bakersfield) to commute.
Pros
Great benefit package, friendly atmoshpere, great bonuses.
Cons
Where I had to live for this job was not Home.
Very Productive
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 17, 2015
I enjoyed the job enjoyed the job and its benefits.I felt like I belonged to a company that valued and appreciated me as an employee.
Pros
over time offered
Always enjoyed going to work; a good company to work for.
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 17, 2015
A days activity included calling on 5-10 customers; traveling throughout Northwest Ohio and servicing customers needs.

A good company to grow with.
Pros
Good working enviroment
Cons
seldom took a lunch break
Field Service Rep. 16 years service
Field Service Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 7, 2015
Health Insurance great, after 3 years you receive a company car.Have to be able to organize your days and your store list.Need to imput your daily servicing into a PDA. (Babysitter). Company does not want to hear that there are any problems. Even when there are. No overtime aloud, without managers approval, which you are never going to get. Days can be long, but if your good at routing, some days can be 6 to 7 hours. Over all management: Once someone is put in a management position, it could take up to 10 years before management will step in and correct there mistake in promoting this person. When you are given a project, it depends on who is in charge of that project, as to your success. I have seen some projects that in the first month, over 10 changes have been made.
When it comes to Family, they are very family friendly. I have had some of my best managers at Hillman. When it comes to loyalty to there employees. as with all companies, they have none.
Pros
Health ins. company car, family friendly
Cons
To many bosses, only field reps are held responsible, PDA
family owned business
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 16, 2015
hardware sales throughout south Carolina. Sold nuts, bolts, screws, signs, keys, etc to hardware stores, lumber yards and building supply chains. Traveled every day
Work/Life Balance needs improvment
Office (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 18, 2015
I've enjoyed working for Hillman, but the lean culture is wearing on me. Positives: the benefits are great and there is a strong volunteer culture.
Pros
Healthcare
All work, no play...
Order Processor (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 30, 2015
The Hillman Group is an okay place to work, once you have made it pass your 90 day probation period. The work load is hard (at first) then you will get use to it. As a order processor, you have to stay at 100% performance in order to get your safety punches. Safety punches are an incentive that will give you a bonus on your check and a company paid lunch.
Anyway, management does not play. If you are not making your numbers, you will be out the door as soon as possible. In other words, make your numbers, do not talk to other co-workers, and listen to your music; if you can do that, then you can get by.
Pros
Decent wages for order processing
Cons
Every person for themselves and talking to other co-worker could cost your job
Challenging but yet rewarding experience.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Shafter, CAMarch 13, 2015
Management was great to work with and I had the opportunity to work with the company for a short period of time. If offered a position again I would work for them again.
great job
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 24, 2015
good company.always looking for new ways to expand market share fair support staff.training was very poor,it was sink or swim.
Pros
compay car, 401k tarvel
Cons
sales support seemed weak at times
Great place to work if you want to do the same job day in and day out never advancing in the company
Material handler (Current Employee) –  CincinnatiOctober 2, 2014
Opportunity for overtime is always there so no lack of work or hours. They cater lunches every few months. Most people care about the work they put forth and care for the customers. Have worked at Hillman for over 8 years and not once have they promoted a manager from an hourly employee position and doesn't seem to be changing. So if you like lots of hours, a company that does things on the surface to make it seem as if they care, and knowing the job you applied for is where you will be forever-this is the job for you.
Pros
job stability, no lay offs, catered lunches, pay isn't bad
Cons
no advancement opportunities, if you don't like overtime, most management hasn't done your job before so don't know how to help
Great company to work
Technician/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ozone Park, NYSeptember 15, 2014
Worked various machinery
Inventory Management
Conducted company reports
Management of store's and personnel
Implemented Planograms
Merchandising
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
short breaks, barely any healthcare coverage, opportunity to grow limited
Fast paced, multi learning trade experience
Shipping (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 11, 2014
A full cycle of production from one department to the next that finishes into shipping out to worldwide customers. Learned to drive a cherry picker machine and distinguish different types of metal used for home improvement projects. Management was strict and usually handled any problems very quickly. The hardest part of the job was uncontrolled climate it could easily reach over 100 degrees inside. The greatest part about the job was switching job position daily to kill a repetitive work routine.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short breaks, harsh inside heat conditioning
exciting and fun place to work
ORDER PULLER (Former Employee) –  Shafter, CAJuly 23, 2014
a typical morning was to clock in and start working right away, I learned many productive things such as assembling boxes and learned to be a team player. Unloading the heavy boxes unto the conveyor was one of the hardest part of my jobs but rewarding because it kept me busy throughout the day.
Pros
free lunches and sometimes employee barbeque's
Enjoyable engaging with all types of people.
Outside Hardware Representative for SW Washington (Former Employee) –  Cinncinatti, OHJuly 7, 2014
Self-driven and organized, scheduled position with sixty national account stores providing them with scheduled merchandising, new product sales and stocking. Company auto averaging 200 miles per day and 12-16 hours of work.
Pros
all expenses paid.
Cons
occasional very long hours.
Good company to work for
Sales (Current Employee) –  Houston TxMay 14, 2014
Most of the time Hillman is a great company with great benefits.
As large as the Company is they are very accurate with shipping.
Back office work(POG, Reports etc...) can be confusing sometimes.
Pros
company car
Cons
alot of hours in the field and the office