The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 21,519 reviews matching the search
terrific training, good starting salary, worked with good, honest people
Kitchen and Bath Designer (Former Employee) –  Rossford, OHMarch 15, 2017
Assisting customers with estimates on counter tops and estimates on total kitchen and bath design as well as selling total job. Negative work environment, with unfortunate management with high turnover.
Hardest part was learning the software, but it was just plain fun helping people choose their dreams in something as personal as their own home.
Cons
advisement of pressuring customers constantly in a non-commissioned environmeny
Heavy on Command and Control
Manager,Operations & Performance Management (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 6, 2017
If you've got no education or training, HD is the next best thing to otherwise enlisting in the military.
Very political environment and LOTS of palace intrigue. Most people here hate their jobs because of the poor management.
Very insecure people and payback is part of the culture. Age discrimination is rife. Options are very limited for those over 40.
Sadly, if you stay in one position long enough you're likely to be terminated for some perceived infraction.- Most people go on medical leave or transfer depts. to avoid being fired.
Pros
Large and stable financially
Cons
career killer
A Day at Home Depot
Dispatcher, warehouse's (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILMarch 14, 2017
Complete daily objectives throughout the day while providing full service to customers in the paint department. what i learned was how to multitask and deal with customer whom may be frustrated. very friendly work conditions young culture. hardest part of the job was being the only attendant while wanting to complete your daily objectives in a timely manner. most enjoyable part of the job was there were no limits to how far you can go and the great feeling of accomplishing assignments as well as getting positive feedback from customers
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Dictatorship
A day as a Cashier
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 28, 2017
*Work house is very diverse and the all employees are friendly
*Learning how to do minor plumbing work and get a garden together
*Interacting with customers about their day and what type of project a contractor will be working on is always the best part
*Management is always around making sure the job is done and giving feedback as necessary
*day as a cashier will consist of greeting and having interaction with customers of all sorts and counting and distributing money when necessary, making sure the customer has everything he/she needs and assisting customers and needed and also working with a diverse group of employees
Productive positive fun environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaMarch 9, 2017
Well…they had a ping pong table...
Sales Associate, Full Time (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMarch 10, 2017
Normal employees are amazing to work with, customers are nice and reasonable even in the bad times, yet management has a quota to place blame and lay employees off when a smallest of metric has not been met. I worked for the top store in the district and saw so many people get let go for the most petty reasons. Years of work, hundreds of happy return customers, and untold skill mean nothing when you do not meet a metric that the customer has no clue or care about.
Pros
Lies. (In the form of cheap food.)
Cons
Lies. Its just lies.
Typical Day
Customer Service Rep / Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Magnolia, TXFebruary 21, 2017
I enjoy the people that I work with but the company as a whole could use some help assisting their associates. A typical day at Home Depot would consist of helping customers, cash deposits to the back office at the end of the night. I am one of the part time head cashiers so I over see multiple cashiers and handle cash, checks and credit card information on a daily basis. I have learned how to put customers first and always be willing to lend a helping hand. The hardest part of my job would be management because they are more about the safety of customers than they are their own employees. The most enjoyable part of the company is the people that I work with and customers.
Productive, busy, and fun workplace
Freight Team Associate (Current Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAMarch 15, 2017
Job includes a degree of product knowledge, along with considerable strength to lift boxes weighing upwards of fifty pounds or more. Need to be quick on your feet in order to send received product to their places within the store. Need to be able to practice safe methods of transporting said product, while also maintaining efficiency. Workplace culture is friendly, informative, and helpful. The team is always focused on helping each other out.
Enjoyable work environment with room for advancement.
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grafton, WIMarch 6, 2017
I worked at several Home Depots across the country, west coast, east coast, midwest and south. It was a fun work environment in each store. The employees are like a second family and i am still in contact with many that I worked with. You can learn any department you want, which will help you with the winter months when hours become scarce. You learn skills that help in life with home repairs and they often run promos in which they pay you to learn the other departments. There was always a good work life balance and their benefits are phenomena.
Pros
work/life balance, life skills
Cons
managers at times are stressed and you need to fit 40 hours into 8 hours
Unprofessional
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAFebruary 24, 2017
I traveled a far distance for this interview. Upon arrival I was told there wasn't any interviews schedule for that day. I showed them my email confirming the time and date from HR supervisor. I emailed the HR supervisor about the issue. I never received an email or call back about the inconvenience. I properly prepared to make time for this interview and to found out my time was not taken in consideration is very unprofessional. It is very clear The home depot is not worthy of my skills and talents I can bring to the company.
Fun work place, fitness center on campus
Accounts Payable Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 21, 2017
Very professional but relaxed. Family cultured, Well lit, I learned how to up price and discount products. How to perform overviews for the financial business to its suppliers shown as liabilities. The hardest part of the job was having to sit for long periods of time balancing spreadsheets. The most enjoyable part of the job is the convenience of never having to leave the building for anything i.e. lunch, workout, dry cleaners etc.
Pros
Nonstop Shop convenience of restaurants, news stands, dry cleaners
Cons
short breaks, have to work an entire year before paid vacation or holidays
Productive, fun, fast-paced work environment
Lumber and Building Materials Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 22, 2017
A typical day consists of assisting customers in product knowledge and selling all and every product associated with their project. Rush hour begins around 10am everyday until about 3:00 pm, which can be a pretty big rush.
The culture is pretty enjoyable and has its pros and cons, just like any other customer service job.
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping a customer who has little to no idea with a home project they are working on. Helping make sure they leave with the knowledge and know-how of how to attack their project makes the job enjoyable.
Pros
enjoyable work environment, company outings
Cons
short breaks, always on your feet.
Workplace Culture
Freight Team Associate (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAMarch 8, 2017
Home depot has never failed to make another day at work amazing. My management team was incredible and have taught me new things everyday from day one. I have grown to love each and every person that works at the Olympia store. Each day is something new, and I'm sad that I'm moving away from such a great group of people. They have offered many chances for everyone to excel in multiple ways and occasions. If you have a chance to work for this company, do it. It will not disappoint. They had faith in me when I didn't think I could do something myself. I am forever grateful!
Don't work here
Delivery and Order Fulfillment (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILFebruary 18, 2017
If your a good worker they will pile more and more jobs on you to make up for the lazy people because they're too afraid to manage lazy people because the lazy people will tell corporate on them for making them do their job. Stay away from this corporation all together even buying products from them they don't stand by their product they just tell you to call corporate and they give you the run around until you give up. Smokers are allowed to take 6 smoke breaks in an 8 hr shift because some management are smokers. Took 2 months to get hired in don't bother applying.
Pros
Unlimited smoke breaks
Department Supervisor
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 3, 2017
Loved this job.Go through so many managers tho. You would think this company would have changed their policies by now. Your job life and real life doesn't balance, no time with family because inconsistent work our for the Department supervisors. I feel if you been with a company for more than five years at least give your associates the opportunity for a set schedule. I promise once this company understand that balance their turn over rate wouldn't be so high.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Company employee appreciation
Cons
Work hours for tenured employee department supervisors, morale, LAZY EMPLOYEES!
Good benefits but wages are too low
Sales Associate - High volume generating store (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 20, 2017
Opportunity for advancement, wages are not too fair with the amount of work enforced by employees. Management can be very tough but loving. The best thing about being an employee for Home Depot is all the benefits they offer throughout the year (bonuses, bonus parties, Christmas party, pot sharing, and barbecues etc). The hardest part about working for Home Depot is working extremely hard for not enough pay (for the amount of work that is done).
Great place!
Garden sales associate/ overnight stoker (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COMarch 8, 2017
I've worked a lot of retail in my adult life and by far this was my favorite job. I left to join the military but it didn't come through. The department management was awesome. We were always working and always busy. Great employee interaction, great customer service all around. I went from seasonal garden recovery to a full time garden associate and I loved both opportunities. At the very beginning I got my forklift license (expired) my order picker license (expired) also my reach truck license (expired). By far the best place to work!
Pros
Great work environment, great skill set(s), all around awesome company
Cons
Little pay rate, did not like to pay overtime
Good
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brighton, COMarch 12, 2017
This job is great for high school students but they aren't flexible at all and the pay sucks. I left because I needed something new that would work better for me. They wanted me to be the manager but I turned it down because I found a much better job that offered me more. The hardest was working late and the most enjoyable was being around so many people as well as learning so many different customer service skills
Pros
People, experience
Cons
Wasnt treated fairly
Awesome place
Forklift, hand box loader (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaMarch 7, 2017
Good people, great management, clean environment to work in. so loved working at the RDC. I loved how the coaches acted like friends to me. I'm always nervous at new places and everyone took me in. As long as you have the need for learning and love to work hard and not afraid of manual labor, this job is the greatest. The only hard part I found about this job picking up 5 gallon paint and unloading charcoal and broken pallets. That is it. The pay is so great, and the benefits are so wonderful.
All in all I would recommend this job to become a career for anyone
Way too much work for such little pay
Merchandising Execution Team Associate (Former Employee) –  FLFebruary 22, 2017
I went into this position thinking I'd work hard, but that was an understatement. This job was 8 hours of non-stop exercise and within my 3 months, I lost roughly 15 pounds. The manager was terrible but is no longer working there, so there will hopefully be new, better management.
Pros
Hour lunches, 15 minute breaks every 2 hours
Cons
terrible pay, racing to meet quota at all times, not given instruction on Home depot products to help customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Home Depot. Our community is ready to answer.