The Home Depot Employee Reviews in United States

Found 18,363 reviews matching the search
It's like walking through molasses for free.
Inventory Associate (Former Employee) –  The Colony, TXApril 6, 2016
The pay is not competitive. When I started my plan was to be an ideal employee and hopefully move up within the company. My immediate co-workers were nice and fairly good workers. The low level management above us was awful. They were scattered and as unprofessional as can possibly be. There is essentially no way to be recognized for hard work when you are working under layers of incompetence. Luckily I figured this out quickly and landed a job elsewhere. Hardest part of my job was seeing my pay stubs. I was hardly making money considering the cost of gas and food. Although we all got along at work morale was low. I'm happy to be out of there and have steered a few folks away from applying.

The apron is demeaning when working for such low pay.
Pros
Overtime is optional
Cons
Pay, benefits, management
Former Department Supervisor key Carrier
Department Supervisor key carrier (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIApril 3, 2016
Worked diligently for 9 years at 4 stores, all departments. crushed sales plan, had 5 subordinates get promoted. Led the following departments successfully: hardware, am Pack down, Freight Team, Millwork, flooring and Blinds and the Pro Desk. Took all available prep courses for ASM and graduated EDP in Jan 2015. Opened and closed the store on a regular basis as MOD at 3 different stores. Trusted to do job as ASM but got burned out waiting to get a chance to RMA and move up. Got a job offer with Lowes and put my notice in and left. Company offered to match Lowes offer but I respectfully declined and am very happy now at Lowes.
Pros
Great technology, Culture, and Products, Strong Brand Recognition
Cons
Expensive health insurance, 401k match is average at best, Small raises for top performers, ability to advance based off favoritism not merit
Productive and fun place but low pay
cashier (Former Employee) –  Horn Lake, MSMarch 27, 2016
Great place to work. You learn alot from customer service to home improvement. Co-workers are good you help each other out usually no drama...management yea not so much but are understandable easy to deal with very lennient. I worked in the horn lake store for 5 years and loved with the atmosphere the people but the money was starting to be an issue. The raises every year were not decent at all...got $.15 raises and had new employees making the same or more than me. Asking for a raise even when changing departments was nonsense. Its a good place to work but the money to support a family its not worth it.
Pros
learn home improvement easy to move up in the company
Cons
low pay
Great Family Oriented Environment
Lumber Merchant (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTApril 6, 2016
A typical day at work was a busy, fast paced environment that was challenging, but if you were determined to build a professional relationship with customers and learn the merchandise it will be a great day to day experience. If I would have to say what I learned I would say, learning how to have an emotional impact with the customer by going above and beyond for the customer. The hardest part of the job is assisting a difficult customer who can never be pleased no matter what was done and the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing I pleased customers and did it with my fellow associates as a team player and knowing management/ supervisors were pleased with our efforts
Pros
Health Care Benefits
Cons
short breaks
high stress, better for individuals not families
Assistant Store Manager, Operations (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAMarch 9, 2016
Nice benefits, but hard to have a family and be at work 14 plus hours. Hours for salaried are 9 to 14 hours more like 10 on average.

Environment is nice, often you have to be around a lot of hazardous chemicals and lots of dust. When you wipe your face at the end of the day you can see on your towel all the dirt.

Company has started to take a new direction lately with the compensation of hourly associates and with salaried managers, not very competitive for the bay area. Most place are paying two dollars more than home depot. Change of leadership is to blame. Often the company roles out a play book and they want you do to do more than what was stated which is fine until it changes again next week.

People are often quitting that are in associate and supervisor roles due to finding another company with same great benefits but better work life balance and steady schedules.
Home Depot Sales Specialist
Appliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, CAMarch 22, 2016
As an associate, but with a demonstrated knowledge and interest in a specific area, plus product knowledge training and individual development programs, you could rise to specialist, department supervisor and into store management. And that’s just one path your retail career at The Home Depot could take.

Excellent Customer Service

Taking Care of Our People

A fast-paced, exciting environment

Customers who count on personal, knowledgeable service

Questions from customers about each area of the store

To learn something new!


Pros
Medical and Dental Benefits 401(k) Retirement Plans
Cons
Very hard take Saturdays and Sundays off.
Retail work with decent pay and benefits
Garden Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Magnolia, TXApril 5, 2016
Working at Home Depot you learn a lot of technical information about your department and pretty much everything to do with home improvement. Like any other retail job you will always have to deal with customers and provide excellent customer service. Also like any other retail job you will never know what your schedule will be and you will never get weekends off, although they seem to be more lenient with older people (to not stay too late). Physically demanding work, which is a positive to stay in shape. Management scrambles to please upper-management and communication is scarce between everybody above hourly sales associates. This leaves a lot of confusion and frustration when expectations are misunderstood or management cannot agree one another. Again, a lot like any other retail job.
Pros
Great benefits for full-time employees; learning opportunities
Cons
Difficult to achieve full-time status; retail work
There's no such thing as job security!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tulare, CAApril 2, 2016
It doesn't matter how long you work there; they will fire you! So, don't mess up!
Customer's lie to get discounts. You will be blamed for something.
You can't do anything about customer's stealing. Touch a thief and you will lose your job!
You are only important if you do what they want; that means you are a 'Yes" man / woman. You want me to jump? How high?
You only get raises above 30 cents if you want to move up in the company. They do not "reward people who are stagnant'.

On the other hand... I learned a great deal about construction and home improvement.
Pros
Benefits to part-time associates as well as full-time after 90 days.
Cons
They are open every holiday except Thanksgiving and Christmas.
engaging and challenging
Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 14, 2016
Customer service is priority every single day, engaging the customer meeting their needs and connecting to both customers and associates. Daily tasks include on hand changes, loss prevention, shrink management. Scheduling associates, making sales, and being a leader in the building. I have learned computer systems, electrical, paint, mill-work, lumber and building materials. Co workers and work environment is great they are what make the company great. Management is sometimes out of touch and can be unfair to associates in favor of Sales. Pay is not great, raises are performance based and may be unfair regardless of seniority and biased depending on store manager. Best part of the job is connecting to my associates and truly helping out people both customers and associates.
Pros
work environment and culture
Cons
compensation
a decent place to work
Garden Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMarch 28, 2016
I have been working at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

The Home Depot has a solid moral compass. They aren't about sacrificing their ethics for the sake of a sale, which I love. They also hire a diverse group of people and give a lot back to the community. They offer a lot of benefits and little treats for their employees. Although they push their associates to meet quota, they're realistic about what can and can't be accomplished.

Cons

Home Depot has two different sides to it. Store associates and those of us considered "store support" who are payed by the vendors but work in the stores 100% of the time. I constantly hear about how store associates are stressed out by management and their hours are being rearranged a lot, cut, and they often are stretched thin due to lack of full staffing. "Store support" associates who do merchandising have it better than those who work in specific departments. However, you never really gain knowledge unless you have the time to look things up and read packaging.
Productive work place with an amazing team.
Paint Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2016
The Home Depot is an amazing company to work for, everyone there is like a family, we all work together to ensure the customers leave happy with a shopping experience like no other. Management frequently recognizes associates for the hard work and dedication they put in. The hardest part of the job would definitely be getting more hours. With such a big company with so many associates not everyone would be able to get overtime. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be getting to know new people and passing down your knowledge to customers ensuring they get all the information they need in order to be comfortable taking on projects themselves. Especially when they come back thanking you and showing you their success, its an exhilarating feeling.
Pros
Being recognized, Decent Raises.
Fun place to work with good management
Paint Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLApril 4, 2016
Take away the poor welfare type hourly wage and this is a great place to work. Management know about the poor hourly wage and bends over backward to make up for it. Corporate is horrible, local management is great. They accommodate you in any way they can to help with your schedule, even if you're part time they treat you with respect and courtesy. You have the opportunity to learn many things about retail and the Home Depot on line school will easily help you get into management if that's your desire.
Pros
Fantastic management, good perks
Cons
benefits are not great, welfare wages.
Definitely a Temporary Job
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 2, 2016
You cannot have a life outside of work. If you want/ need a day off put in for it at least a month in advance. If you get sick at work they will make you feel bad for leaving. They will not give full-time, so the most you can work is 27 hours a week, but require you to have open availability to even get a job there. If you open you have to be there at 5am. They are known for scheduling you to close (11pm is when you clock out) and then open the next morning. Cashiers get paid less. Don't count on a pay raise or growth in the business. The customers are rude, especially if you're a woman, and filthy, in behavior and hygiene. They are well known for under scheduling people to work, leaving customers and employees in need of assistance.
Home Depot
Lumber and Building Materials Associate (Current Employee) –  Bee Cave, TXMarch 13, 2016
High stress environment, poor management, high turnover employee rate, poor scheduling. Other departments dump their work on the lumber and building materials associates because they don't want to be trained in operating a forklift or reach making some of their duties impossible. My favorite part of the job is getting to help customers with their needs and seeing them leave legitimately happy and satisfied, knowing they have the right tools/materials for their project.
Pros
opportunities for overtime
Cons
no opportunity for advancement, no raises
Great Benefits, OK Management, Stressful
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Miramar, FLFebruary 25, 2016
I feel as though home depot management is very selective. They promote associates based on favoritism. It is hard to speak to someone when you're having issues and even harder to get them to care. As a cashier, you will be faced with needy customers all day long. Most customers a pleasurable though. Only work here to gain valuable experience, great benefits, and OK starting pay. Do not make this a long term career unless you were lucky enough to be a favorite.
Pros
Benefits, lunch/breaks, advancement, pay, customers, brand
Cons
management, needy customers, work/life balance
good workers, great learning experience
Receiving Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Banos, CAFebruary 17, 2016
A typical day at work for my position at the Home Depot is not usually very stressful. I punch in and walk to the receiving area at the back of the store. There is usually a truck waiting to get key rec'd and unloaded, along with RTVs to process and freight to distributed unto carts. I receive and inspect store merchandise along with customer orders to ensure customers receive the best service possible. The best part of my day is making a change whether it is helping a customer or associate to finding a more efficient way to complete daily tasks. The hardest part of the day is working in the receiving area with no air conditioning during the summer, it can become quite hot and humid.
Pros
good coworkers, work with school schedule and other life situations
Cons
not much room for advancement, pay raises are very tight
current employee
marchandise (Current Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAMarch 19, 2016
management plays favoritism... don't work to hard or you wont get promoted..have seen the dumb ones who have no clue whats going on get promoted. raises suck if your not kissing someone behind. Reminds me of high school. I was told as a woman I am to pretty and to "dumb it down" because I look like I don't belong working at home depot. Men are always promoted and paid more than women. left working in 2005 at 14.50 hour and now only make 10. doing more work than the men next to me.
Cons
feels like im being babysitted or in highschool with the drama
Home Depot
Freight Associate (Former Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MDApril 6, 2016
Working with home depot really got me prepared to know what it feels like to work in a warehouse setting, which was great for me. I obtained a forklift certification, I worked with electric powwer jacks and other machinery, Everyone I worked with were good people. Management was good. The job wasn't hard at all. The best part of the job was no weekend work.
Pros
Flexible schedule, benefits, greta people
Cons
Cutting back on hours, advancement opportunities are limited
A good short-term job
FREIGHT TEAM ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXMarch 3, 2016
While the job itself was mostly after hours; we started work an hour or so before closing hours so we had some interaction with customers. I was put in a situation where a customer was being rude with me and I reacted in a way that i was proud of afterward and I feel that it was a chance for me to learn how to deal with people. The people I worked with there were good people and I don't remember a time where I felt negatively about any of them. My manager was an older gentleman but he was very kind, a man who would give you the shirt off his back, a man I respect. There wasnt't anything too difficult at this job. I enjoyed the holiday season at this job, there was a good feeling in the air.
Pros
Good co-workers, Mangement, and Benefits.
Cons
Hours and Compensation.
Corporate designer/Trainer
Kitchen Designer 20/20 trainer (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDApril 4, 2016
A typical day at Home Depot was showing up for my shift at a selected store or at the main office. I would review the shared calendar and see what has been scheduled for myself and other team members in my department. I would then go through out my work day achieving all of my goals and assisting co-workers and customers within the store.
I was a kitchen designer for "Pro clients & contractors" working on new construction. Also, Twice a week I was scheduled to go to different Home Depots and assist in 20/20 training for "new" kitchen designers. The hours of driving was not beneficial for myself or my family, as a single mom.
In all the hardest part of my job was training new hires who do not have any design experience nor the desire to fully learn the design software needed to successfully design and install a kitchen for their clients.
I learned a lot regarding 20/20 and the retail side of construction and also A LOT of cabinet lines and options with in each of them.
benefits
Cons
distance and flexibility