The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 19,660 reviews matching the search
Fun Challenging Workplace
Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OH 43402October 16, 2016
Great place to work if retail management is an interest. Company likes to promote and develop associates. Was brought in as a temporary associate and promoted to a department supervisor in less than 2 years.
Pros
benefits. set scheduling. advancement
Cons
physical labor and long length of time on feet
Excellent.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNAugust 12, 2016
While there is no room for advancement unless you have lots of experience or plan to work there for a while, it's still an excellent company to work for. Pay is really great seeing as how you need no educational experience and no previous retail experience. I worked part time as a cashier and started out making $9 an hour, and was raised to $10 in less than 6 months. I often received bonuses and small gifts for being a good worker. I loved working for this company and I only left because I was in search of full time work and they had cut full time positions drastically because of the health care benefits requirements in the United States.
Pros
Good pay, great work environment
Cons
Little opportunity for full time
Cashier and Paint Associate
Mentor, Oh. Cashier and Paint Associate (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHAugust 9, 2016
I started out as a cashier running register and later on worked in the paint department as an associate there. I also would help clear the lot of any stray carts when needed too. Though it was a part time job I earned a cashier accuracy award twice and was employee of the month twice. after about a year and a half of cashiering I was recruited for working in paint. Since second shift workers were hard to come by the management liked to use me as a closing associate. I really liked the crew that I worked with there. The most difficult part of the job would always be stuck trying to answer an impossible question. The most enjoyable part would always be when a customer would come back to specifically have me wait on them because they liked my service.
Pros
Reviews would take place every 6 months and monatery reviews once a year faithfully
Cons
Part time hours and very little opportunity for full time status or advancement
Typical retail/warehouse job.
LUMBER ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Westminster, CODecember 2, 2016
Management is fair minded. Co-workers are awesome! The benefits are good, and a strong team and community environment is promoted. There is a lot of physicality to the job, I lost 20 lbs trying to keep up with the work load.
Pros
Great community to work with.
Cons
Pay is low, raises almost don't exist.
A good place to start out and gain an understanding about the business!
Fulfillment Associate (Current Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXSeptember 21, 2016
I spent a lot of time on the phone contacting clients and setting up appointments for showings. I learned how to manage my pipeline and keep track of customer relationships, which helped make it easier to move to close. Management and co-workers were a lot of fun to be around and learn from. Setting up appointments could be quite challenging at times, but helping our clients find a solution and fulfilling their needs was very rewarding.
Pros
Driving around the city and office time was a good mix
Cons
1099 and no health benefits.
Home Depot is a great company to work for, and I enjoy working there.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 22, 2016
I arrive to work at 5 am, and I pack down down the shelves to ensure what our customers needs are on the shelf. I learned how to reset shelves, shelf maintenance, and cashiering. The Home Depot have a great management team; furthermore, they are willing to go the extra mile to help you grow in the company. My co-worker are great and that are an asset to the team. There is nothing hard or difficult about the job. the most enjoyable part is seeing the smiles on the customer face once they and completed their DIY project.
Benefits
Cons
breake
Not a company you will retire from
Senior Department Supervisor / Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ellenwood, GAJuly 24, 2016
worked for home depot for 19 years, many co-workers I've worked with have been terminated / forced out of the company because of their salary & benefits. Home Depot became an unfair company to work for with Arthur Blank retired for the company. I was making 21.45 per hour which was well owed to me for 19 years of hard work. But the company feels that they can let people let me go and hire 3 associates in my place and pay them pennies. Would not recommend this job to anyone, especially if you are a family first person. The Home Depot value wheel is one big joke. And they do not take care of their associates. AT ALL!
Pros
ok benefits
Cons
schedule, lack of training, hours, not a long term company anymore, management not trust worthy
family atmosphere among co-workers
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 12, 2016
The day usually goes by fairly quickly because I am always being called to the registers to help with some issue or to advise cashiers about some product or store policy with which they are not familiar. Customers are also always asking questions abut products and also trying to return products so I have to constantly be jumping on a register to assist when lines get too long.Management usually tries to do anything possible to assist customers and they appreciate that we have a no hassle return policy. Associates from different departments get along really well with each other and are usually there to help out in other departments whenever possible. For me the most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction that I get to have with customers. Having a satisfied customer who leaves with a good impression of the service we offer gives me a great deal of satisfaction.
Pros
good dental and vision benefits- chance to buy shares at reduced cost
Cons
part timers often have reduced hours which results in frequent worker turnover in some dapartments
Fast-paced, quality oriented environment that cares the associate.
Special Services/Freight Associate (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNJuly 16, 2016
The Home Depot has established a culture that prizes the person, customers and associates alike. With some of the highest standards in the business, I have felt valued and given the necessary tools that make my job effective and efficient.

Each employee is given some degree of autonomy and authority which is indispensable in any type of retail.

My management is thoughtful and appreciative as they strive to create a work experience that fits my goals and needs.

A busy retail environment can be stressful and full of complications but The Home Depot provides the tools and people that help make the experience worthwhile.
Pros
Individual autonomy, associate recognition, people first culture.
Cons
Demanding physical activity, hour availability.
All in all a great place to work at
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLOctober 6, 2016
Home Depot offers a lot of great benefits such as Tuition Reimbursement, 401k, Stock Purchase, Health Care, Dental, and etc. I was with the company for 6 years. They are big on pushing Customer Service. I enjoyed working with minus the pay. I was with the Company for 6 years. They always offer Success Sharing to all employees if your store beats plan. That's pretty awesome.
Pros
Free Lunches, Holiday Parties, Benefits
Cons
Pay (When I started as a Cashier 6 years ago, I was making close to Minimum wage, and every review I got less than a 50 cent raise).
Productive and great place to work with various opportunities for advancement
Head Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Kerrville, TXOctober 19, 2016
Great opportunities for advancement for anyone willing to learn all the ins and outs of the business. Great benefits such as paid vacation, sick time, matching 401K, health insurance.
Fast paced environment where I make snap decisions and love working as a team and making connections with each and every customer I encounter throughout the day.
Pros
Consistent schedule for full time employees, 401k, success sharing bonus, paid vacation
Cons
Short staffed
Great place to work, hard work equals success
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Rochelle, NYSeptember 25, 2016
As a supervisor, maintaining the peace was the call of the day on most days, I started in garden and made my way to shift supervisor. The management changed so often as others progress in the company, you are given limited time to prove your successes and demonstrate abilities to incoming upper management. The most enjoyable part of this job was as a supervisor motivating the people that worked under my responsibility.
Pros
Excellent Benefits...401...and employee perks
Cons
fast turnaround in management department
Fun place to interact with customers
Garden Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 12, 2016
The days goes really good everyday.
I learned on improving on providing sufficient info from customer. needs, learned to use forklifts to load/unload. Learn from other experienced associates to gain more knowledge in all departments.
Management has been great, very knowledgeable and helpful.
Belligerent customers however professionalism is important.
Seeing customers smile after assisting them.
Pros
1 hour lunches, benefits, friendly environment, knowledgeable associates
Cons
Favortism
Long stressful days at work
Order Fulfillment Associate (Current Employee) –  Rocklin, CANovember 14, 2016
A typical day as a deliveries associate at Home Depot is running around helping customers while trying to do your own job. Frequently people in charge of the departments are never there when you need them so you end up doing their jobs. The job is very time consuming and strenuous and when you get home it makes you want to pop an advil and go to bed.
Pros
work around school schedule, consistent hours, job security
Cons
management, department supervisors, customer complaints
Poor Management
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXNovember 6, 2016
Top Store Management ignored safety of employee and customers, and made it policy to let thieves walk away with hundreds of thousands of dollars. Then tell you you're up for a raise but then say they don't have the money. Yet the managers get there bonus.
Pros
Cons
no health care
Very flexible scheduling oppurtunities but not so great advancement or equal opportunity.
Freight Team Associate (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 27, 2016
This was a great job as far as schedule and pay and benefits but the mandatory overtime and no raise were a no for me at the time whil I was in school.
Pros
Benefits, discount with cell phone company
Cons
Bad management
It was a productive and energetic workplace.
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Laveen, AZDecember 2, 2016
They customers were amazing and some of the co-workers i enjoyed a lot. I did not like the work hours of heat i worked in. They had me working outside all day in the scorching sun with minimal water. I could be inside for approximately 2 times a day for 15 minutes each during a 8 hour shift.
Many of the employees expected me to do there jobs for them. I refused to, so they would report me to management. This resulted in me resigning my position.
Benefits
Cons
the work ethic of others
Great Retail Job
Special Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZDecember 8, 2016
This was one of my favorite places to work. I found that the culture was like none other. The management would work with you on any schedule or possible conflict. The job over all was the right fit for anyone starting there career off.
Takes employee concerns to the highest level
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 18, 2016
As a corporation, The Home Depot takes an active interest every day in providing the best in customer service while keeping in mind the employee's health and happiness in the workplace.

I learned a lot about the retail business that I had not known up to the time that I joined Home Depot as a part time team member. Corporate culture insisted of mutual respect between management and worker and always emphasized each employee to strive for customer satisfaction as a FIRST order of business.

The company also has an emergency fund to assist employees experiencing various kinds of life stresses that most employees contribute to on a regular basis.They also offer a good benefits package for all full time associates along with profit sharing for every associate whether working full time or part time. Additionally, they offer generous discounts provided in partnership with a network of other business partners of some major retailers and even some auto dealers.

Good Company to work for.
Pros
Success Sharing, Special event luncheons, Regularly scheduled breaks, Choice of Lunch hour duration (half or full hour), Day Off requests, etc.
Cons
Some work can be heavy requiring a lot of physical endurance, however company strives to employ equipment to keep strain to a minimum.
career advancement is poor
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 26, 2016
They give 1-2% raises normally, and it's difficult to move up.The culture is very lacking, and you basically work there to just be worked as much as they can get from you.
Pros
Good team culture socially for lunch
Cons
Career growth, bonus structure is terrible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Home Depot. Our community is ready to answer.