The Home for Little Wanderers Employee Reviews

Job culture the worse
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Roxbury, MAJuly 16, 2017
If you tgrive in a non supportuve undermining enviroment then this is the place for you , tge turn around ia high staff get burned out quick and co workers main objective is sabotage
Pros
In the city close to activities
Cons
Lack a management support, funds and activities no theraputic rehabilitaion whatso ever
Stessful place to work
Per Diem Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MAMay 1, 2017
At home for little wanderers its a very stressful place to work in regards to making sure that the Clients have constant care round the clock. The atmosphere is very diverse and management is supportive.
Cons
Fun environment to work at with children.
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Dorchester, MAApril 23, 2017
This agency helped me to strengthen my clinical skills with children with emotional difficulties. I enjoyed working with a team and received support from my clinical supervisor.
Love it there
Intensive Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Roslindale, MAApril 18, 2017
Very supportive to staff and clients. Great company to work for.flexible hours. Family oriented and family goal based. Great benefits for employee. Apply here
Staff nurse
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 18, 2017
The Home for Little Wanderers provides all of their employees with excellent training. The work environment is stressful, but the work is very rewarding.
Team-oriented and collaborative environment
Milieu Director (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 9, 2017
A typical day includes evaluating the needs of residents and co-workers and collaborating with team members to meet those needs. Specifically, it is important to understand who is present on the unit, what the assigned tasks are, who is working on the shift, and what is the schedule. Additionally, all staff are required to be aware of emergency protocol, and able to crisis manage as necessary. Prior to the end of shifts, all shift documentation should be completed and a shift report given to staff coming onto the next shift.
Pros
GREAT benefits
Cons
can be times of crisis
Need to be Motivated.
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 29, 2017
Very fast paced environment, in which you are asked to complete back to back task. There isn't much downtime and you'll be required to be on your p's and q's.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Stressful.
productive
overnight direct care counselor (Current Employee) –  Brighton, MAJanuary 27, 2017
well organized field where there all about the children and trying to make their lives better so when they face the real world they know what they are getting themselves into so they wont make mistakes that would send them in the wrong direction
Great Place to Call Home
Roxbury House Intern (Former Employee) –  Roxbury, MAMay 13, 2016
The HFLW is an amazing company to start a career in human services as they offer a lot of training and a wide variety of positions at residential facilities, the main office or training facilities. The training I received is unparalleled and will continue with me into whatever career I end up in.
The Home
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 6, 2016
The Home for Little Wanderers does great work. They are a very fast paced and forward thinking organization. My manager was amazing. I had great support at the program level from my manager and peers. As a supervisor I worked with the HR department. I found them to be very supportive and always willing to provide advice on various issues. I had a difficult situation as a supervisor and HR was very supportive, provided constant guidance and helped me navigate territory that was very unfamiliar to me.

The higher level program operations staff is out of touch with the day to day working program staff and possibly with the rest of the organization. I felt they were pretending to support us but at the same time feeding us stories about others within the organization especially those in the HR department. As an employee who doesn't not have much contact with those at the main office, you are often left to distrust the "corporate" staff based on the things the higher level Operations staff tell you. Especially when your interactions with that staff are the complete opposite experience. The Vice President of Operations comes across as disingenuous and fake. This is felt by many clinical staff.

Clinical employees are driven to put in hours and hours to achieve numbers. This is a fast paced, burn out culture. I wish this was appreciated and compensated more.
Very difficult place to work
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MANovember 4, 2015
The Home for Little Wanderers was a very difficult place to work. Management did not care about your life outside of the workplace, and coworkers consistently called out, leaving a heavy burden on the few employees that were reliable like myself. The hardest part of my job was dealing with adolescents that would not listen regardless of what was happening. The most enjoyable part was when you saw what you taught an adolescent pay off and see them grow as individuals.
The Home is the worst place I ever worked
HR (Former Employee) –  BostonOctober 20, 2015
The human resources department is run by a bunch of evil spirited, manipulative, and politically corrupt individuals you will ever find. There is a well defined clique that makes up this group of unprofessional. They spend hours and hours gossiping amongst themselves. They make light of terminating employees without any regard to staff as human beings. I would not recommend this as a place to work for anyone. It is so ironic that they do such wonderful work for kids; unfortunately their HR department is anything but HUMANE!
Pros
meaningful work
Cons
inhumane HR department
Excellent Company
Behavioral Therapeutic Mentor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 17, 2015
They were one of the best places I have ever had the pleasure in working for. I made many great contacts in and out of the community, and upper management was very understanding and supportive in all situations. I wish they had branches here in Texas, so that I could rejoin the team.
Energetic work environment
Direct Care Counselor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 27, 2015
Since I've started working at my current job I have learned so much about working as a team and building positive relationships witht eh youth we serve. It is a difficult field as most of our youth are faced with extremely difficult challenges in their daily lives. I enjoy what I do and love that everyday is different.
Pros
Great staff
Loved working with kids.
Direct Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Walpole, MAApril 13, 2015
Made sure clients where safe in good space with themselves and others. Sometimes clients needed to be redirected to help them stay safe. It wasn't always easy to deal with clients but I excepted the challenge and did my best.
Room to Grow
Intensive Care Coordinator, MSW Intern (Current Employee) –  Roslindale, MAMarch 16, 2015
The Home for Little Wanderers provides employees excellent opportunities for training and career development. Employees are valued and encouraged to perform to their highest professional potential within and outside of the organization.
Do not care about your well-being or job security
HR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 19, 2014
Please, before you take a look at this organization (though it does fantastic work for the children of the community) the management and way they handle their employees is the complete opposite. For all the care they give for the children in their programs, they could care less about their employees, and treat them as "disposable."

I wanted to be involved because of the work they do for the kids of Boston but I found it much more difficult to deal with the way I was being treated.

I want to urge all of you to really try and get a feel for the style of management and how well you might fit in. If you are the type of person who likes to be yelled at every day, belittled and micromanaged, than this might be a good place for you.
great place to grow
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 15, 2014
I enjoy working at THLW. The staff are vcery friendly and one is in an environment where they can grow.
great benefit
Family Partner (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 6, 2014
I enjoy every opportunity within the Home. They provided different levels of Human Services trainings and personal supervision on a weekly basis.
Pros
company laptops and cell phone
Fun environment
Direct Care Counselor (Current Employee) –  Walpole, MAJanuary 17, 2014
wonderful place to work.
I've learned a lot working at the home for the little wanderers
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Inconvenience of transportation