The Homestead Employee Reviews

Love the Homestead....No Matter who owns it
PBX Operator/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, VADecember 12, 2015
I love the Homestead and the people who live and work there. It is a great place to work and the people can become like a family if you allow it.
fun place
Recreational Aide (Former Employee) –  Newton, NJNovember 7, 2015
fun work place with fun people. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with alongside my co-workers and learning from them .
Fun workplace
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Penn Yan, NYSeptember 1, 2015
Many out of facility activities such as family picnics and charity runs. Fun Fridays dress down days. Many fund raisers done in facility for staff.
employees treated poorly, management doesn't care
ABA Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hiawatha, IAAugust 19, 2015
I worked at the Hiawatha CAP clinic for one year. Bottom line, the problem is management. If you work here, you will be overworked, jerked around, disrespected, bullied, ignored, intimidated, and manipulated by your own supervisors. If you complain or cause conflict, you will be arbitrarily disciplined. Management deals with conflict in a totalitarian manner, and you will be given no opportunity to contest or appeal your discipline. Management is not subject to its own policies. If you don't have education or experience in ABA coming in, you will not be given proper training, and your coworkers are likely to be just as lost and misinformed as you. If you do have education and training in ABA, it will be ignored. If you try to share your knowledge of ABA, you will be silenced. There is no standard of service here; as long as you are an obedient employee, nothing else matters. Here's the breakdown:

Sarah is a power-needy secretary with no education or training in ABA who will bully you and retaliate with the biggest overreach she can manage if you question her or assert yourself.

Amy is a low-level supervisor who will shout, curse, intimidate, and openly mock and demean you to anyone within earshot. Her voice carries.

Larisah is the only halfway professional supervisor you'll encounter, who will go along with her colleagues' unprofessional antics and give you no support if you complain.

Brad is the absentee clinic director who will turn a blind eye and act as though he is powerless to correct his subordinates' inappropriate behavior. He snaps like a kicked dog if you
  more... press him.

If you have self respect and a real career in mind, save yourself the misery. You and your goals are not a priority here.

Ta-dah, the Homestead in a nutshell.
Pros
the kids
Cons
everything else
Loving and caring co workers
Activities Director (Former Employee) –  Fallon, NVJuly 31, 2015
I worked as team managed projects independently. Expert in customer service, which I truly love. Being one on one with elderly was the highlight and losing residents that I was close with was the hardest part.
Pros
Residents and family members
Cons
No Health care
Make a Difference in the Lives of Those with Autism
Vocational Director (Former Employee) –  Altoona, IAJuly 14, 2015
Although the organization's job culture is poor and some of its leadership is poor, it does give an employee who truly cares to directly affect the lives of individuals who happen to have autism.
Pros
Expansion within the children's department of the organization
Cons
Culture; pay for direct support employees
needs improvment
M/C Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Fallon, NVJune 3, 2015
Employees deserve appropriate benefits given the work environment. It does not seem that funds are being spent wisely here.
Pros
residents are lovely
Cons
no benefits
Decent, but challenging work environment.
Autism Associate (Current Employee) –  Altoona, IAMay 13, 2015
The quality of other associates varies greatly; some are very helpful and knowledgable while others are unproductive. A typical day includes assisting autistic adults with daily activities and helping them to improve themselves. Upper management is very unorganized and not approachable; not concerned with their employees goals to improve.
Fun place to Work
ABA Specialist (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 20, 2015
I love working here! The children are great and I feel like I am making a difference. I wish they paid more, but that can be said about a lot of businesses.
Pros
great kids and coworkers
Cons
time management
Coworkers are great but its a dead end job
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Glen Arbor, MIJanuary 16, 2015
Management is constantly shifting expectations. Employees are typically not paid well but everyone is treated differently even if they do the same work. Benefits are not worth mentioning (no value in them) they do offer 4 paid holidays to fulltime employees. People get fired for odd reasons; like parking in the wrong spot even though they were not informed or not doing something the way the owner would have even though the result was better than expected. Its weird, you never know when your getting the axe.
Pros
good group of employees
Cons
poor pay no benefits shifty ownership
busy day to day and great place to work
Cook 2 (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs VAMay 12, 2014
long hours on a day to day basics. you learn how to cook according to the recipes of omni standards. the co workers and managers are what make the Homestead a wonderful place to work and learn. the hardest part of the job is working the long hours. the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you are creating a wonderful experience for the guest with the food that you have made for them .
Fun place to work.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, VAApril 30, 2014
I got to meet alot of new people from different cultures. The hardest part of the job was being away from home so much.
great company
AUTISM ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Altoona, IAApril 29, 2014
great place to work, great co-workers, great management.. long hours..medication.low pay, helping others
Pros
great place
Cons
low paying
The Homestead
Payroll Clerk, Liquor Inventory, Server (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, ILMarch 21, 2014
Working at the Homestead is great! I get to meet new people and see our regular costumers on a daily basis. I have been able to advance since I started, and there is always room to take on more roles. I feel like the employees at the Homestead are a family and we all get along great!
a typical day
HOUSEKEEPER, Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, VAJanuary 10, 2014
Work with different type of people. Go clean each room, find out who actually care about what their room looks like or not. Some of the mangers didnt care about their employees. The hardest part was deal with people who trash the room and didnt care what they did or even if they cussed you out. I enjoy working with some of the people
Cons
housekeeping manger needs to get out
Wonderful Resort Hotel with immense history
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, VADecember 30, 2012
My typical day is generally pretty hectic. Check-in time is 4pm and depending upon the day of week, there are between 40 and 380 room arrivals. I've learned how to handle unhappy guests, problem solving situations, and overall, how to make each guests' stay a memorable one. My Managers are all wonderful individuals, compassionate, and will go out of their way to make the workplace an enjoyable experience. I enjoy working with all of my co-workers. The hardest part of my job is keeping a calm demeanor when dealing with an unruly guest. The most enjoyable part of my job is making a guests stay, one that they'll remember for the rest of their life.
Pros
free golf, skiing
Cons
standing nearly 8 hours straight
Terrible Management & High Stress
Certified Medication Aide/ Autism Associate (Former Employee) –  Altoona, IADecember 16, 2012
Worst job I ever had. Management demeans staff. Tells staff everything they do is wrong never back staff even when staff is in the right. Only semi good thing is the pay was higher than other organizations, but definitely not worth the stress.
Job for Busy-bodies.
Cashier and Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, VAOctober 17, 2012
Typical day at work can range from monotonous to hectic depending upon the house count of the hotel as well as the place upper management places you. I have learned that advancement can be limited depending upon who you are as a "good ol' boy" mentality still exists with job placement and benefits. All in all its who you know rather than your worth to the hotel that determines your compensation at the end of the day.
Pros
benefits of free to close to free golf for employees.
Cons
feelings of being "just a number" at the end of the day.
Good Place to work
Stewarding Supervisor/Head Night Steward (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, VAJuly 3, 2012
Normal day starts out with scheduling and getting all the employees of my department ready. I have learned many things including great management skills and ability to communicate and plan ahead. The co-workers you work with are great people who work hard. There really is not much of anything that is hard about the job. I enjoy the working atmosphere.
Pros
fun atomosphere
Cons
pay scale
Great local restuarant
Bartender (Former Employee) –  La Quinta, CAJune 11, 2012
I had a possitve expierience at Homestead, however at the time they had no bar room...They only had two makeshift bars and not enough customers to service. When the season ended...so did my job
Pros
family friendly, comfortable setting inside and out
Cons
not enough guests