The Homestead Employee Reviews

Na
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Fallon, NVJanuary 4, 2018
At first I thought it would be fun to help others, challenging, and knowing that you can change their life's, but it hard to see to pass away even those you have to move on, and getting your job done.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
You have to pass T.V. shoots
Great team providing excellent care
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sherman, TXNovember 14, 2017
The team works well together providing an at home environment to the residents. They enjoy a variety of activities and outings and are made to feel at home. Management and staff work well together for the benefit of the residents.
Poor organization and management
ABA Therapist (Current Employee) –  Clive, IANovember 13, 2017
Working with the children and seeing their development is rewarding, that is something I loved about this job. However, management is poor and the work environment is very hostile in the ABA clinic. Staff members are generally 22-25 year olds who do not give support to coworkers. When I asked questions in the beginning, I was looked at like I was incompetent and some of the staff members who have been there a longer time PURPOSELY try to intimidate the new team members. Y'know, because status of who has been there longer is soooooo sought out. Also although we are trained, no one answers you directly. That's the frustrating part of starting the job because you have to find out things yourself. There's very little team member support.

Lastly, the pay is very unsatisfying. Compared to ABA therapists/specialist around the nation, The Homestead very much underpays their staff.
Pros
Working with children, great supervisors
Cons
Hostile coworkers, low pay, unorganized management, little communication
srtructured enviroment with great clients
Autism Associate (Former Employee) –  Runnells, IANovember 5, 2017
The Homestead was a nice place to work with a good group of clients. The days were very structured and the coworkers were nice to work with. The pay was not great but it was a fun environment to work in.
Pros
flexible time off, good hours
Cons
pay
Server
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, VANovember 3, 2017
Homestead was founded in 1766 in Bath County VA. Older resort with shopping dinning in the mountains with a ski resort also. summers and winters always the busiest times of the year.
Treated poorly by management
Autism Associate (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, IAOctober 21, 2017
It can be a rewarding job but the management is terrible. You get little help with dangerous clients. Managers had a habit of talking down to the direct care workers and were gossipy.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Management, culture, gossipy
enjoyable
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, VASeptember 12, 2017
staff is friendly and you get paid good money if the hotel is busy, if slow than you really don't get any hours, they do have functions for the employees and are flexible with scheduling
pay is little, but a great opportunity
Autism Associate (Former Employee) –  Altoona, IAAugust 29, 2017
learned a lot about autism, working with families, how to work in the community, how to write reports, time management, how to work independently, communication
Great company mission
Employee (Current Employee) –  Altoona, IAJuly 27, 2017
The Homestead has a wonderful mission and strives to focus on those with Autism. I feel great being attached to such a wonderful mission. I would recommend The Homestead to someone looking for a job that allows you the opportunity to help others!
fun enviorment
Acs Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 18, 2017
I would work the 2:30pm to 10:30pm shift. i would come in wait for the participants to arrive home we would do snack and meds then go out for an activity before dinner i would assist dinner prep and we would prep their lunch for the next day. I definitely loved this job it was worth the pay and going everyday
Summer dishwashing job in heart of farmington
Dishwasher/Busser (Former Employee) –  Farmington, MEJune 14, 2017
For a summer job as a dishwasher it was a pretty good fit, and in walking distance from where I was staying. The environment was relaxed and friendly, and the staff was great and I made a lot of friends.
Pros
free lunch, ample time for breaks
Cons
got fairly hot in the kitchen on some days
Terrible Management Lies to get you hired
ABA Therapist (Current Employee) –  Hiawatha, IAMay 4, 2017
Working at The Homestead has proven to be the worst decision. Was told I would only work one night a week. Lie. Scheduled me constantly when I had class. Was told I would get supervision and that was a lie too. Managers just hide in their office and gossip.
Cons
Well managed and employee focused company!
YCS Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hiawatha, IAMay 2, 2017
I feel in my time working with the homestead that the agency is organized and seeks to grow and expand at a carefully planned rate. The management and the supervisors are well educated and care a lot about the company and the clients that we serve. I feel I have a great work-home life balance and do not take stress home with me after work.
Pros
Great benefits
good experience /low wages
Autism associate (Former Employee) –  Altoona, IAApril 24, 2017
Working here was extremely educational for me , Great place to learn self endurance and corporate red tape! Enjoy working in an ever changing atmosphere,while assisting individuals with daily goals and household responsibilites. While ensuring individual being serviced are treated with respect and are able to maintain their dignity.
Pros
working with clients
Cons
management is very young and lack life skills
Mission Driven
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PAApril 8, 2017
Of all the companies have had the pleasure of serving at, this one is the tops for living out mission, vision and values. I would recommend this company for any jobs related to Autism or Disabilities.
Pros
Strong values, challenging work
Cons
24/7 at times
Learned much, but didn't have time for my family
Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hiawatha, IADecember 21, 2016
The Homestead was a great place to work if you are passionate about working with children with disabilities and have the time to dedicate. The unfortunate part was that they were often understaffed and the employees they did have were often over-scheduled. If you have a flexible schedule and like to make overtime, this might be a good fit for you.
Put a lot of trust in their employees to succeed.
Wedding Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Glen Arbor, MIOctober 11, 2016
As a young professional I received a lot of responsibilities that I really appreciated as it allowed for me to find myself as a professional as well as learn what my passions were.
Personal and Professional growth
Department Director (Current Employee) –  Altoona, IAApril 4, 2016
The Homestead is dedicated to providing great services to people with autism. As the only Autism specific Medicaid provider, The Homestead has taken the lead in the state as the ground breaker for bringing Applied Behavior Analysis to Iowans. To do that, The Homestead invests in staff who come with a desire to learn and grown and make a difference. The standards are high, so those who expect to slide by or do not have this passion for growing and improving will not find it a comfortable environment. Those who are energized by learning and then applying that learning to assist others will flourish. As a Department Director, I can attest to giving 12 in house promotions just last year. There are lots of opportunities for growth.

This is a fast paced environment, with many changes happening in the field and it requires people to be open to finding solutions and moving forward. The culture of teamwork, accountability and responsibility make this a good fit for people who like to see something new happen.
Pros
Leadership invests in teaching/learning leadership skills
Cons
Some changes are demanded by outside sources such as Medicaid Regulations, and it means we must be responsive quickly.
Making a difference and personal growth
Administration (Current Employee) –  Altoona, IAMarch 28, 2016
We are consistently on the look out for people who are interested in learning more about Autism, assisting in the community and leadership advancement.

The culture is very open to all kinds of people. The key to working here is being a self starter and the desire to learn, grow and try.

I have learned so much about Autism and how to work with others in my time here. The people care about the ones they are serving.

The leadership is invested in finding new learners and helping people grow in social services. Working here is not about being super successful after 24 hours of training, it is about continuous growth and developing a connection to bettering the person served.

The hardest part of the job can be the challenge of working with Autism. It is a unique diagnosis and not one person is the same. The Homestead works with all levels of need, from very severe to moderate to highly functioning.
Pros
8% Company Match for Retirement ASAP, The Client
Cons
Learning Curve, Diagnosis Challenges
Fun place good atmosphere
Day Care Supervisor / Font Desk (Former Employee) –  Glen Arbor, MIFebruary 1, 2016
Nice staff, employees are taken care of and treated with respect. Problems are handled efficiently and quickly. Advancement is possible throughout the resort.
Pros
Free ski and lift tickets, meal and room discounts, good management
Cons
seasonal, pay could be better but its not awful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Homestead. Our community is ready to answer.