The House of the Good Shepherd Employee Reviews

Fun work place, somewhat unorganized
child care worker (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYNovember 12, 2015
very fun place to work, and very rewarding. however it was also very stressful at times, and the management was somewhat unorganized and Some employees refused to work well with others.
Non-profit Organization
Case Aide (Current Employee) –  Foster CareSeptember 25, 2015
The House of the Good Shepherd is a nice company to work for but the wages are too low, & the hours are not all that conducive for family life. Years of experience is not taken in to consideration with advancement or wage. The people there however are great to work with.
Great co workers, less than perfect management
Relief Child Care Worker/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYSeptember 19, 2015
Very challenging work environment, traumatized children with difficult behaviors. Major gaps between direct care staff and upper management.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Difficult to advance or increase earnings
I enjoyed working with the kids and the parents of the kids
Shift Supervisor of Residential Group Home (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYJuly 29, 2015
I was a supervisor at The House of The Good Shepherd, and my typical day consisted of reading the log book to find out what happened on the previous shift, as well as communicate effectively with my co workers. Working with kids you learn something new every day, like what methods are helpful motivators and what methods are not. Also every client is different, so I needed to be able to make quick and effective decisions on the spot. I had a great relationship with my co workers, it helps when everyone is on the same page with the same goals. The hardest part of the job was watching the doctors medicate clients that probably just needed more one on one time with someone who would listen to them. The best part of that job is still to this day I run into old clients all over the place and they approach me and tell me how good they are doing as well as how much I helped them.
Pros
we took the kids camping and to several outings, so that was always a good time
Cons
no real breaks
Great start
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYMarch 26, 2015
A typical day as a child care worker was difficult but at time rewarding. I learned a great deal while working there and met co-workers who became life long friends. The hardest part of the job was the long shifts when the clients had vacation. The most enjoyable part was the co-workers.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
long shifts when clients had vacation
Be careful
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYNovember 13, 2014
I will advise you all carefully that most of these positive reviews come from positions that do not deal with the negative aspects of the children. Child care worker is the worst position within the organization and this is coming from someone who used to work in corrections. Daily routine was getting punched / spit on / fecal matter and urine thrown on you / constant fighting with certain children and worst of all no support from any management - I literally told a cottage manager about a crisis and she said that's your problem and went in her nice comfy office and shut the door. Sure if you land one of the good positions its a great place but trust me do not become a child care worker - Just let the turnover rate show you. Notice no matter when you check they are always hiring for that position. Oh and the pay to get punched everyday was just above minimum wage :)
Pros
co-workers kept you sain
Cons
everything else
Foster Care Agency
Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NYSeptember 14, 2014
The foster children served at this agency were fortunate to have caring foster parents. The hardest part of the job was knowing the children were suffering emotionally. Most enjoyable- co-workers.
Sanctuary Model of Care
RECRUITMENT & RETENTION MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Watertown, NYJuly 15, 2014
This agency practices the Sanctuary Model of Care with it's clients, families and staff. Although the filed is stressful, they recognize the need for self care and encourage staff to utilize it.
Would highly recommend this facility for a loved one
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hackettstown, NJFebruary 21, 2014
Excellent health care facility providing quality nursing care to those in need of a sub-acute or long term care nursing facility.
Not a very warm place to work.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tilton SchoolSeptember 1, 2013
I worked there for 26 years and then was fired saying I wasnt doing my job. They decided this after 26 years. I was working 20 hours of OT per week also. I know they have fired numerous people with years invested in their programs. Why is that? The benefits were ok I wouldnt say great and if you dont believe in their philosophy that children are not held responsible for their actions, you will not make it working there.
Pros
some people were great to work with.
Cons
no union and no protection. they can fire you for no reason.
Overview
Program Supervisor Residential Treatment Center (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYMay 14, 2012
There is no typical day at work, I have learned many things about how to help families in need. The management at The House of the Good Shepherd is open, and willing to talk out problems which have presented themselves throughout the day. I have enjoyed working a lot with my co-workers, they are extremely creative & motivated individuals. The hardest part of my job is knowing that sometimes you can't make a difference in the lives of every child that we deal with. The most enjoyable part of my job is learning later that we have made a difference.
I highly recommend The House of The Good Shepherd.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Hackettstown, NJApril 28, 2012
I worked at The House of The Good Shepherd for 32 years. I was a Certified Nurse Aide for 18 years, then attended nursing school, and became an LPN for the remaining 14 years.
I was a staff nurse on the night shift in Assisted Living, where I was responsible for 60 residents, and also residents in Independent Living. I worked with one Certified Nurse Aide, answering call bells, meeting the needs of the residents, and administering medications in the A.M. I collected urine specimen for the lab, charted /documented, completed the monthly turnover of the medication administration record, and responded to emergency situations efficiently.
I valued my good relationship with my nursing supervisor and all staff, from nursing to housekeeping.
The hardest part of the job was finishing the med pass as planned, as a resident might have concerns that required more listening time, or the occurrence of an emergency.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of knowing that I was serving others, and encouraging them.
Pros
high standards of patient care. job security.
Cons
an uncooperative nurse's aide, which was usually resolved.
valuable community service
Accounts Payable Accountant (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYMarch 31, 2012
There was job security until the sudden "workforce reduction" was implemented. The revenue was decreasing due to fewer County placements of children into residential care.

The agency theme is "changing children's lives", the plan being to help troubled children improve their situations and lead productive lives.

Has a great benefit package.
Possibility for job advancement.

2.8