The Houston Chronicle Employee Reviews in United States

1995 Leading into the Information Highway
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 23, 2016
Answer phones, type and build reports, make airline and hotel arrangements, set up meetings with lunch included. Assisted promotion department with online contest. Handled promotional products such as T-Shirts, Coffee Mugs, etc. Make report booklets using Microsoft PowerPoint and binding machine. Worked for three Managers, one Director, one VP and 40 staff members. Managers were always uplifting, co-workers were very friendly. Hardest part of job would be coordinating schedules for VPs, Managers to attend meetings. Most enjoyable part of my job was working with some great people and saying hello to other 9 floors of employees.
Pros
Very Rewarding Position
Cons
Change in Division/Department structure
Worst job ever
Part time carrier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2016
Depending on what day it was would rate between a 1-10. Didn't learn anything. Management was looking after their own selves. Co-workers were okay to an extent. Having to do the extra things required for little pay. When I quit.
Produced articles for "Insight" student newspaper
Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 29, 2015
The typical day at the Houston Chronicle Classroom setting consisted of meeting with peers and checking on our "budgets" and updating where we were with our stories. Each student had to reach out to people to interview interested parties.
it good for those who like to stay up late
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXOctober 26, 2015
can sometimes be demanding but you know that once you are done with the job there is not more work to be done and you can go home
Pros
easy going, not stress
Cons
no sleep
Customer Servicce
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 5, 2015
The causes that are important to you are important to Workday. We are committed to supporting local and global causes that improve the quality of life in the communities where we do business. Supporting community efforts that our employees care about helps create a healthy workplace, happy customers, and a better world.
Newspaper
Writer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 17, 2015
I was a contributing writer through Demand Studios. It was a great opportunity and a great experience. I am grateful for the chance to contribute.
Partime Probationary Mailer
part-time/Stacker/Machine Insertist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 28, 2015
Called out to come to work when needed. Hours were flexable but never sure when You'd be called and how long you could be there.
Pros
interesting learning experience
Cons
noise
Productive and challenging with rewards.
reporter (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 6, 2015
Receiving assignment, getting to directed location, interviewing subject with pictures taken, submitting story by deadline.
Pros
Per Dium for travel.
Cons
No health care.
Very good job opportunity
ASSISTANT WAREHOUSE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 16, 2015
I had a very good experience with this company. Good job opportunities and pay. Management was very professional and courteous. Management and employees watched out for each other.

The only con was that the subcontractors didn't like it when you kept a close eye on inventory.
Pros
Good hours, good pay, no drama
Great
INSIDE SALES ADVERTISING/GENERAL CLASSIFIEDS (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 22, 2015
Excellent environment. Promotes growth, training. Great leadership. Great compensation structure. Great HR department and professional development.
Pros
Great Benefits, Excellent Organisation
Computer Operations Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 27, 2015
Houston Chroncile is a great company. Co-worker made the workplace a happy enviroment. I worked midnights for 3 years and never had any concerns regarding safety working downtown Houston.
Poor Work Environment
Regional Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 17, 2015
Tons of Turn Over and poor work culture. Hired and lost my boss the same day I started my first day. Had 5 people quite the first three weeks I was working there.
Houston chronicle
driver (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMay 28, 2015
I worked as a paper carrier for a year here. It was overnight and when my vehicle was stolen I lost the ability to do the job so i had to leave this job.
The Houston Chronicle
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 25, 2014
A typical day at work:
Busy and Informative. There was always something new to learn.

What I learned:
I learned that being a team player is very important.

Management and Co-workers:
Helpful and friendly

Hardest part of the job:
hardest part was having to leave due to lay off

The most enjoyable part of the job:
Knowing that I was going to work daily with wonderful managers and co-workers. This is very important since everyone is helpful and ready to take the time to help one another.
Pros
wonderful environment, wonder employees
Cons
lay offs
Work is the same routine and compensation isn't as much as I would like but enjoy working with co-workers
Accounts Receivable SR. Clerk (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 19, 2014
Same routine day after day, more work but compensation isn't as much as you would like I do enjoy working with all my co-workers though. There's no challenge in the day to day basis of work, I have learned a lot as far as the system we use and the programs as well and I have had great management. I would hate to leave but I would like a place where I can show my skills and hard work and know that I can move up from where I'm at.
Pros
employee engagement programs, co-workers, downtown
Cons
healthcare went up, possible move to southwest, no advancement
Great news environment
Editorial Intern in city and state (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 8, 2014
Under the fluorescent lights sit rows of people hunched over their keyboards, typing their hearts out as they piece together their stories for the publication. The staff members are very dedicated to the job. A typical day includes people constantly in and out of the newsroom, jumping from one assignment to the next. Everyone stays busy, which is the best and worst part of the job. The workload can get overwhelming, but it's so rewarding to see your work in print. Plus, the stories you hear are great.
Journalist/ Photographer
Journalist/photography Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 15, 2012
Intern senior year of high school. Great company with nice people. Very culture oriented and a great learning experience. Interviewed people around Houston for stories assigned to me by my teacher. Took all the photos for my stories including other students in class. Most enjoyable part was meeting many business people around downtown Houston and having a mentor from someone from the Chronicle. Hardest part was trying to stay current with all the events going on around town to write about.
Pros
meeting new people, lunch break, learning, mentor, recognition, scholarship
EEh
Paper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Crosby, TXJuly 17, 2012
The job itself wasn't hard. It was quite easy, until Sundays. Its the hours(in the middle of the night. There was never any air conditioning and anyone in Texas can understand how hot it gets in the summer, even at night. There were never any days off. You had to work 365 days a year. Rain or shine. One time we had to deliver even though we were driving on flooded roads.
One time during Tropical Storm Alicia, customers actually complained that they did not get there paper. DURING A TROPICAL STORM!
Pros
easy
Cons
no days off, extreme heat and cold, depending on the time of year.
Nice co-workers/dedicated
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 6, 2012
A typical day at worrk is usually very challenging comprising of various tasks which requires great time management, multi-tasking and accuracy. The hardest but most enjoyable part of my job is being able to juggle the various tasks with accuracy and within the deadlines. This makes my job more interesting and never a boring moment. I interrelate with both upper management, sales managers and their reps which requires being tactful with great personality, good morale and strong work ethics. My co-workers are really great to work with and very cooperative!
Pros
complimentary passes to events
Cons
career uncertainties
Challenging work enviroment with limited resources
Preprint Charting Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 9, 2013
The Chronicle is a demanding work environment. Reduction in work force has most employees challenged.. The resources are limited due to profit goals. This is a trend in the newspaper industry however and does not appear to be reversible. The people at the Chronicle are a great team. No other company could achieve so much with so little.
Pros
great growing city to work in
Cons
work enviroment not good