The Houston Chronicle Employee Reviews

Everyday
Self Employed Contractor (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXApril 10, 2017
Had to be there by midnight sometimes the truck wouldn't come until 2 am. Didn't like sitting outside for two hours. Doesn't matter how good of job you do, if you miss one thing they charge you $5 sometimes we would get complaints from people saying they didn't receive TV guide or certain ads, the driver would still get penalized even if you really did throw it or that part of paper wasn't delivered to warehouse. Can't get flat in middle of night before work because there aren't any tire shops open and if you don't throw your route you get charged for every paper resulting in no paycheck for two weeks.
Pros
Still have time to work another job
Cons
$5 charge no matter what for and misses.
Fun but tired some
Carrier (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, TXApril 6, 2017
Had to be any work at 12 at night to start to get bundles ready to roll up and put in plastic bags. Sometimes had to wait for truck yo get their at 2 in the morning. Then had to rush to put the rest of the papers in the rolls of papers. Had to load the car up and take them out to the people that order the papers.
365 nights a year
Carrier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 28, 2017
This job was great, in that there was job security. We worked every night, no days off. I filled news papers and coupons into bags. Learned the routes, houses and businesses that received papers. The hardest part was making adjustments to my route once a subscriber changed their subscription or canceled. The part I enjoyed the most was working independently at night, when most of the city slept.
Pros
Nights only, flexible, casual.
Cons
No days off, wear on vehicle.
Horrible company to work for as an Independent contractor
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 20, 2017
Work life as an independent contractor for this company, is in most comparison to the indentured servant and slavery era. Poor work conditions, compensation is horrible, and they expect newspapers to be thrown in harsh weather conditions.
Its a very nice place to work
wharehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 22, 2016
Working there is an experience you will remember. News paper come in constantly and you have to be quick in order to keep up. It is a fun place to work. You have New York time, wall street journal, Houston chronicleand more
Pros
Its easy work
Cons
Its a lot of work
delivery of news paperd
Independent Contractor/Newspaper Deliveries (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXDecember 14, 2016
not much to say. we roll and prepare papers to be delivered on a specified route. we recieved free news paper daily, over night route seven days a week
Pros
free daily paper
Cons
long route, didnt cover enough of gas costs
Intereactive newsroom with great staff
Sports Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 5, 2016
My time at the Houston Chronicle really kept me interested in the journalism world. Although I majored in broadcast journalism, The Houston Chronicle made me respect print journalism as a possible profession.
a waste of the everday energy it take to do the job
Carrier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 1, 2016
Will give you a good work ethic and make you appreciate the very next job. co- workers are the most interesting . management changes so often.
Pros
just a finish time, dont take long
Cons
no good benefits
Not A Good Place to Work
Credit Investigator/Collector (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 13, 2016
Extremely Poor compensation and overall working environment. Poor management, co-workers were nice. Hardest part of job was not being compensated for work. Most enjoyable was food truck Fridays.
Pros
Cons
Atmosphere, Compensation
An cool work environment
Customer Service Circulation Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 7, 2016
While working at this job I learned how to be more patient with people. It helped me in my every day life in order to make steps in becoming a better person and not letting the way certain people talk to me get to me. It helped me be able to listen to what the customers really needed.
Door to door
Door to door sales representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 31, 2016
Got doors slammed in my face after soliciting for new subscribers. Pay was given to me by how many papers I sold. Rain or sun you had to keep walking.
Pros
Car provided by mgr
Cons
Constant walking
Worst job ever
Part time carrier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2016
Depending on what day it was would rate between a 1-10. Didn't learn anything. Management was looking after their own selves. Co-workers were okay to an extent. Having to do the extra things required for little pay. When I quit.
very busy
Customer Service Representative- Call-center (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 9, 2016
The newspaper company is a very fast pace. It's always changing due to the increase of sales on your newspaper and a lot of customer was anger about the newspaper
Pros
great hours
Cons
short breaks
1995 Leading into the Information Highway
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 23, 2016
Answer phones, type and build reports, make airline and hotel arrangements, set up meetings with lunch included. Assisted promotion department with online contest. Handled promotional products such as T-Shirts, Coffee Mugs, etc. Make report booklets using Microsoft PowerPoint and binding machine. Worked for three Managers, one Director, one VP and 40 staff members. Managers were always uplifting, co-workers were very friendly. Hardest part of job would be coordinating schedules for VPs, Managers to attend meetings. Most enjoyable part of my job was working with some great people and saying hello to other 9 floors of employees.
Pros
Very Rewarding Position
Cons
Change in Division/Department structure
Produced articles for "Insight" student newspaper
Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 29, 2015
The typical day at the Houston Chronicle Classroom setting consisted of meeting with peers and checking on our "budgets" and updating where we were with our stories. Each student had to reach out to people to interview interested parties.
it good for those who like to stay up late
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXOctober 26, 2015
can sometimes be demanding but you know that once you are done with the job there is not more work to be done and you can go home
Pros
easy going, not stress
Cons
no sleep
Newspaper
Writer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 17, 2015
I was a contributing writer through Demand Studios. It was a great opportunity and a great experience. I am grateful for the chance to contribute.
Productive and challenging with rewards.
reporter (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 6, 2015
Receiving assignment, getting to directed location, interviewing subject with pictures taken, submitting story by deadline.
Pros
Per Dium for travel.
Cons
No health care.
Partime Probationary Mailer
part-time/Stacker/Machine Insertist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 28, 2015
Called out to come to work when needed. Hours were flexable but never sure when You'd be called and how long you could be there.
Pros
interesting learning experience
Cons
noise
Great
INSIDE SALES ADVERTISING/GENERAL CLASSIFIEDS (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 22, 2015
Excellent environment. Promotes growth, training. Great leadership. Great compensation structure. Great HR department and professional development.
Pros
Great Benefits, Excellent Organisation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Houston Chronicle. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9