The Houston Chronicle

The Houston Chronicle United States Employee Reviews

Houston Chronicle Review
Salesman (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 18, 2015
Very busy job. Loved it. Well rounded Schedule. I would usually be stationed outside of Grocery Stored and sell newspapers.
I was a stressful job
Delivery Person (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: i pay well
Cons: it is stressful
I like it at first, but the job is really difficult if you are a person that what to make a lot of money in this job.
A job where I sold, sold, sold.
Sales representative (Former Employee), Houston, TXNovember 12, 2014
The job required me to go door to door selling the News paper. Which many people did not buy.
Simple, Physical, Good for students and People who need to be close to home.
COURIER/DRIVER (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: free hours
Cons: pay, gas prices, wear and tear on vehicle.
Days start at 1:30 AM or 3:30 AM depending on the delivery of supplies for couriers.
Organizing your publications with your inventory and spec sheet for each day, such as an address may start a vacation and will want the paper withheld or not delivered at all for that period. With new starts and other changes such as moved or service stop.
most in employment in these roles are delivering a small area and augment their other employment with part time courier work. Others are in the minority of delivering heavy loads of publications 500 plus per day deliveries.
working in the rain is the most difficult part of the job, and gas prices challenge the pays worth.
while working 7 days a week the majority of your day is free to handle such in my case a Family member needed a person to help during a recovery from surgery.
The Houston Chronicle
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 25, 2014
Pros: wonderful environment, wonder employees
Cons: lay offs
A typical day at work:
Busy and Informative. There was always something new to learn.

What I learned:
I learned that being a team player is very important.

Management and Co-workers:
Helpful and friendly

Hardest part of the job:
hardest part was having to leave due to lay off

The most enjoyable part of the job:
Knowing that I was going to work daily with wonderful managers and co-workers. This is very important since everyone is helpful and ready to take the time to help one another.
Work is the same routine and compensation isn't as much as I would like but enjoy working with co-workers
Accounts Receivable SR. Clerk (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 19, 2014
Pros: employee engagement programs, co-workers, downtown
Cons: healthcare went up, possible move to southwest, no advancement
Same routine day after day, more work but compensation isn't as much as you would like I do enjoy working with all my co-workers though. There's no challenge in the day to day basis of work, I have learned a lot as far as the system we use and the programs as well and I have had great management. I would hate to leave but I would like a place where I can show my skills and hard work and know that I can move up from where I'm at.
great job if needing extra money
Independent Contractor (Current Employee), Waller, TXJuly 28, 2014
Pros: work at night.
Cons: rainy nights, maintaining your own car.
this job is not hard. you show up at the warehouse. sometimes you have to wait for the truck too show up. assemble papers and go. Time is everything. The faster you are. the faster you get done. most of the people are fun to work with.
Great news environment
Editorial Intern in city and state (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 8, 2014
Under the fluorescent lights sit rows of people hunched over their keyboards, typing their hearts out as they piece together their stories for the publication. The staff members are very dedicated to the job. A typical day includes people constantly in and out of the newsroom, jumping from one assignment to the next. Everyone stays busy, which is the best and worst part of the job. The workload can get overwhelming, but it's so rewarding to see your work in print. Plus, the stories you hear are great.
Great place for entry level - not a great place for advancement.
Strategist (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 10, 2014
Great place for entry level - not a great place for advancement.
very productive work place
Account Executive (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: monthly bonus on productivity
Cons: industry declining
I loved working for the Houston chronicle.We placed ads in news paper.
houston chronicle
district assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: help out with gas cards
Cons: none stop work everyday
fast pace workday
I learned that a lot can be done in a lil time
management is the type will work with you on what you want to do
the co-workers is like family and friends and help each other good team work
Poor management decisions
Single Copy Marketing and Zone Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 29, 2014
The Chronicle was great at one time but when they brought in San Antonio Express News to make the decisions they killed it. There are so many things they should have done differently to keep it great instead of letting go all of their talent.
productive .. entertaining
Customer Service (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: all pros
Cons: no cons
working with many people .. catering to what they asked for in their advertisements,
20 fantastic years
NEW MEDIA CONTENT DIRECTOR (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 17, 2013
The Chronicle was great to me. It fostered my professional growth through six distinct careers there.
relaxed at home job
Billing Representative (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 5, 2013
Pros: free time, stay at home job
Cons: commission based salary
I would only work Thursday-Sunday. Mailing contract renewals and conducting follow up phone calls to recruit were my duties. Hardest part of my job was customers being upset that I was even calling. Most enjoyable part of my job was the free time I had Mon.-Wed.
A day at Houston Chronicle
Carrier (Former Employee), Houston, TXNovember 19, 2013
Pros: it was easy hours; 2-7 at the most, so i could go get back in the bed.
Cons: working every day for several months wore my brains out.
When I worked for Houston Chronicle I got up to
be at the warehouse at two in the morning,
got my mail for my overall delivery quality from the previous day,
wait for the truck to come to bring the headlines,
rolled the paper, put them in my car,
delivered them to customers and businesses by five thirty.
The hardest part of the job is providing gas money for yourself. The pay was every two weeks. I spent two hundred on gas every pay period. I found myself borrowing money because my brakes went out, my belt popped, and my power steering went out. I had to work every day and it was exhausting. The most enjoyable part of the job was delivering the papers because it was easy, I remembered to routes very easily, and my customers loved me.
Help Desk Analyst (Current Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 26, 2013
This company is a workplace friendly and the management are very professional and respectful.
Would'nt recommend this Job to a family person with a spouse or child/ren.
Independent Contractor (Current Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 23, 2013
Pros: customer service
Cons: no benefits, no days off, no bonuses no nothing, just a check
Current Job with Houston Chronicle pays above average. A typical night at the main distribution center starts at 12am and finishes when I distribute my last news paper to customer residents, usually between 6:30-7:00am. On Tuesdays and Fridays couriers have to distribute the Spanish newspaper called LaVoz. These days typically aren't over until delivery of last customer on my last route. Have to receive papers when the distribution truck shows up to the dock. Tue & Fri usually done at about 5:30pm. Manager of the facility is really rude and seems not to have a conscience. My immediate supervisor just resigned 3 days ago because of management after 28 yrs. of service. No days off, no benefits, no time to enjoy your family or even go out. Management wants you to view this job as your family. The most enjoyable part of my job is the relationship status and report that I have formed with my customer base.
Old School Company
Market Research Analyst (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 20, 2013
The Chronicle is an old school newspaper that is slow to incorporate new ideas. There are good people there that are talented, but the culture isn't very open to new ideas and concepts.
Challenging work enviroment with limited resources
Preprint Charting Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 9, 2013
Pros: great growing city to work in
Cons: work enviroment not good
The Chronicle is a demanding work environment. Reduction in work force has most employees challenged.. The resources are limited due to profit goals. This is a trend in the newspaper industry however and does not appear to be reversible. The people at the Chronicle are a great team. No other company could achieve so much with so little.