The HSC Health Care System

The HSC Health Care System Employer Reviews

HSCSN: Too much face to face outreach/ SW VS case management
case manager (Current Employee), washingon dcApril 16, 2014
Pros: telework
Cons: face to face visits (road warrior/ always in the community)
I will start by saying I totally agree with the previous RN poster. I also worked as a case manager for this establishment. And while I loved most of my coworkers, and taking care of my members, management, was a tad difficult to deal with at times. The expectations for face to face visits were unrealistic, you are frequently expected to make multiple – more... visits to members in very unsafe areas alone and often those members wouldn't even show up and even when you coordinate care for them they were non compliant. And yes you do frequently get treated inappropriately by members, as in cursed out. But that didn't bother me too much, as once you get through to the members and establish rapport with some, it became easier especially because your members never get closed out they age out. So you get to know them better as time progresses. Telework was still an option in my time which made it easier for me to stay as long as I did. However, I didn't feel the salary was that competitive. And yes the case loads WERE at least 90-100 or even more. I am talking for RNs predominantly high acuity cases. The only satisfaction was the joy I got when I was able to accomplish goals for my members and watch them go from being non compliant to being compliant and taking autonomy in their care. Also, I acquired loads of experience at this position which set me up to be as successful as I am now. So I am giving HSCSN a 3 star rating. – less
DIFFICULT
Care Manager (Former Employee), Washington DCMarch 14, 2014
Pros: good salary....resume builder
Cons: bad managment....no opportunities for advancement...
HSCSN is a difficult place to work to say the least. Management has it's favorites....very "clicky" environment. You will work in an office and you will be responsible for going out into the field to see patients and families in their homes....in terrible parts of the city...by yourself (unless you find a co worker eager to partner with you for the – more... day). No opportunities for advancement unless you are the "favorite" on your team. You WILL care for upwards of 100+ patients/families. You will be cursed out by parents....you will get little support from upper managment...and very little training that is helpful. Orientation is relatively non existent althought they pretend to have an orientation program.
The pluses are this...if you have a pediatric background...and you NEED a job right now...they do pay well and it is a job while you keep searching. That would be my advice...work so that you have the title of "care manager" on your resume and make a decent salary...that's how they keep employees...not by treating them well but by paying them well. If you do decide to take a job with them, definitely ask for the salary you deserve....you can bargain for that and you will probably get it...they are desperate for new people. The other issue is that they do not like LPN's...or RN's for that matter...the whole focus has changed and they want social workers now...Upper management will make it difficult for those they do not like....stay on their "good side". Telework is no longer an option...BE CAREFUL....and keep good records and document everything...and keep copies of your emails...you will need them. You will get through being an employee there...but do not ever get "comfortable" and always keep your resume up to date.
Take care and God Bless.... – less
Productive and a fun place to work
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 3, 2013
The Co-workers were all nice and helpful. The salary was competitive.
Okay
Human Resource Manager (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 14, 2012
Interesting. Depends on which entity you work for. Love the children!!!!

About The HSC Health Care System

Helping to fulfill the lives of children and young adults with special needs. Children and young adults with special needs deserve – Read more