The Idea People, a Charlotte NC based digital design firm, is seeking a back-end PHP web developer to join our team. This is an full-time, on-site, permanent employee position, so we prefer that you live in the area. If you don't we hope you're close because you'd have to relocate. You'll be working with our programming team along with designers and front-end developers.
As a back-end developer you will have your hands in every aspect of the site build and launch. Critical to this position is an ability to understand client feedback and requirements (implied or documented) and translate those into functional code. You should have good written and oral communications skills to facilitate that translation and a demeanor that welcomes the client into a relationship that may be more technical than with which they are comfortable.
In addition to coding your responsibilities include:
- Participating in client meetings (by phone and in-person)
- Understanding the entire project scope
- Participate in project definition, UX and design phases of the project
- Meeting both internal and client deadlines
- Keeping on top of new back-end development languages, methods and technologies
- Speaking up and being part of the team
- Writing thorough and articulate internal and client-facing communication
- Helping maintain and support internal The Idea People systems, such as the company website, internal projects, products and services.
Skills & Experience
- 3+ years experience in back-end development (server side PHP programming)
- A solid understanding of the MVC paradigm as well as object oriented programming
- Experience working with Wordpress, WooCommerce, and Magento
- A working library of handmade custom code (for profit or fun)
- Experience working on a team
- Mastery of Git or a comparable SCM
- Experience working with client teams
- Experience working on CMS implementations, where a CMS is predefined
- Comfort teaching technical topics to a group
- Solid organization and efficient time management skills.
- Able to collaborate in a cross-discipline environment.
- Acute attention to detail.
- A problem-solver who brings answers and ideas to the table at the same time as challenges
- Must be highly organized and able to juggle multiple tasks and requests
- Ability to prioritize and work well under pressure and tight timelines
- A problem solver who thinks differently, sometimes taking the longer approach because it carries more benefits in the end
If you think you're the one, please send a cover letter, your resume, and work samples to us!
The Idea People offers a generous package of medical insurance with vision, pre-paid attendance to important industry conferences, the latest equipment and software, loft-space next to the Charlotte Panthers BOA stadium, free lunches and dinners on occasion, and an outgoing team with a great sense of humor.